• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Shell!

Embee12

Time of past OR future Camino
First time: Fall 2022
About a month ago, I had some wonderful visitors who'd reached out to me in November when I first introduced myself in the forum. We'd had one long zoom - and by the time they came, I felt like we'd known one another forever. They showed me their well-worn map, a jam-packed credencial and a big coffee table photo journal from one of their caminos. And they told me about the shell, and how the ridges signify the myriad paths leading to SdC; and that you hang it on your pack by some cord, and how it would identify you as a pilgrim in a non-pilgrim crowd so that you'd already have a friend. And I asked, Where do I get one? Am I supposed to get one before I arrive?

And from a sweatshirt pocket - they pulled out my shell. I got so choked up. Pics below. (Please disregard messy kitchen! :O)

Camino Shell 1.jpg
Camino Shell 2.jpg

(FYI: I got consent about photo.)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
About a month ago, I had some wonderful visitors who'd reached out to me in November when I first introduced myself in the forum. introduction in November. We'd had one long zoom - and by the time they came, I felt like we'd known one another forever. They showed me their well-worn map, a jam-packed credencial and a big coffee table photo journal from one of their caminos. And they told me about the shell, and how the ridges signify the myriad paths leading to SdC; and that you hang it on your pack by some cord, and how it would identify you as a pilgrim in a non-pilgrim crowd so that you'd already have a friend. And I asked, Where do I get one? Am I supposed to get one before I arrive?

And from a sweatshirt pocket - they pulled out my shell. I got so choked up. Pics below. (Please disregard messy kitchen! :O)

View attachment 121031
View attachment 121032

(FYI: I got consent about photo.)
How lovely.
Let me tell you a story about my shells. When I finished my first Camino, I had a one-year-old granddaughter and I gave her my shell which she keeps in a memory box. One day a few years later I walked in and she was showing this to my second granddaughter who looks up and asks "Where's my shell granddad?". "Do I have to walk 500 miles for you to have a shell?" I enquired. "Yes" came the simple answer. Off I went, they met me in Santiago to relieve me of her shell and had a wonderful time. In May the oldest one will be 10 and in July the other one will be 8 and they now have a 2-year-old sister. On 29th May my son-in-law the two girls and I will set off from Morgade to walk the last 100k into Santiago. The girls will carry a shell each, one for their sister and one for their mother. Later when they are old enough, they plan to emulate grandad and walk the whole Camino. This will be my fifth Camino and their first and as we train for it the excitement mounts. I guess in a few years the youngest one might try to get me to walk with her. :).
Buen Camino
Vince

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How lovely.
Let me tell you a story about my shells. When I finished my first Camino, I had a one-year-old granddaughter and I gave her my shell which she keeps in a memory box. One day a few years later I walked in and she was showing this to my second granddaughter who looks up and asks "Where's my shell granddad?". "Do I have to walk 500 miles for you to have a shell?" I enquired. "Yes" came the simple answer. Off I went, they met me in Santiago to relieve me of her shell and had a wonderful time. In May the oldest one will be 10 and in July the other one will be 8 and they now have a 2-year-old sister. On 29th May my son-in-law the two girls and I will set off from Morgade to walk the last 100k into Santiago. The girls will carry a shell each, one for their sister and one for their mother. Later when they are old enough, they plan to emulate grandad and walk the whole Camino. This will be my fifth Camino and their first and as we train for it the excitement mounts. I guess in a few years the youngest one might try to get me to walk with her. :).
Buen Camino
Vince
That's lovely. I was going to comment about you starting in "Melide", but looks like you did an edit!

When my wife and I walked the Camino back in 2013, we carried 4 shells painted with the cross of St James. Each one of our children gave us these shells - I wore 2 and my wife the remaining 2. We had them since SJPP. As we approached Ponferrada, we came across a group of university students from Fairfield U. We dined with them one or two evenings and shared some miles together. As we settled into Palais de Rei, we once again met these young adults and my wife got to talking to a young gentleman. He told my wife that he hadn't talked with his Mother in quite a long time. My wife simply gave him one of her shells and perhaps some encouragement. Several hours later as we were walking to our albergue, this young man tracked down my wife and with tears in his eyes, told her that he just got off the phone with his Mother. Made us both cry as well.
I fly out for my next Camino on Monday. I have 4 new shells painted this time by my grandkids. I'll see how many of them are still with me as I arrive in Santiago.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Nice! I was so excited to get my shell... but I hated it being attached to my pack haha! It was always moving around making just enough of a "thumping" noise that I tucked it into a pocket after the first day or so. I think I will skip it this summer. I might wear a small shell necklace instead. Or maybe not.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Actually I have broken 2 shells clanking around on my backpack so the one I have now was a gift in Estella in 2019 from ANFAS which is an organization that supports people with disabilities and runs one of the albergues in Estella. I will try to wear it on my backpack this summer when I walk, but good thing replacements are easy to find! I can imagine that if I were a medieval pilgrim that I would be devastated, but after the second one shattered, I have chalked it up to trying to not focus on "things"--even if they are meaningful.

Last edited:
I have a couple of shells from a breast cancer walk I do every year so they have a pink ribbon painted on them. I hope I can drill a hole in them without shattering the

I have a couple of shells from a breast cancer walk I do every year so they have a pink ribbon painted on them. I hope I can drill a hole in them without shattering the
I made a few shells a few weeks ago. The trick to avoid cracking the shell is to cover it with masking tape… I used power drill (on slow setting!) and fingers crossed the holes came out alright.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think for our American Pilgrims on the pre-Camino "shell" ceremony we just ordered them from Ivar and had them shipped to the US so people would have them before they began.

I do worry about it breaking while flopping around on my yet-to-be-bought backpack. Do people ever sew them on in some way to secure them better?

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I do worry about it breaking while flopping around on my yet-to-be-bought backpack. Do people ever sew them on in some way to secure them better?
Hi, you could tie it on, close to the pack, so it doesn't dangle:
Shell.jpg

Yes, me too.
My (Jack Wolfskin) pack has an unused elasticated loop near the base, meant for hooking walking poles, I think. I tie the shell with linen thread just above the loop, then stretch the loop over the shell to stop it wobbling around in time with my stride!
It works, though I sometimes wince when I scrape the shell against a wall or seat back as I take it off. Hasn't fallen off yet though!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I made a few shells a few weeks ago. The trick to avoid cracking the shell is to cover it with masking tape… I used power drill (on slow setting!) and fingers crossed the holes came out alright.
Thanks for the tip! I masked the shells and started with a small bit and gradually went bigger until the hole can support a cord.

How lovely.
Buen Camino
Vince
GREAT !!

I make mine from felt. (Courtesy of Liz Brandt) They are light weight, don't flop or break and are much lighter. One side is customized to the camino we are walking! I may purchase this for our next camino:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/700746...click_sum=563bf3bc&ref=shop_home_feat_1&frs=1 Just punch a hole in the top and add a ribbon! 🙂
🥾

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
How lovely.
Buen Camino
Vince
Awww...love this ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.