• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Single Most Greatest Camino Memory, What's yours?

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
OK, after meeting my mother of 55 in Leon we had actually managed to walk from Leon to Arca in 13 days, and we knew we were going to make it to Santiago in time to make our trip a fabulous success. Anticipation was welling.

Before I had left, a great personal mentor of mine, an older, successful businessman, had handed me a $100 bill and told me, "have a good dinner with your mom along the way."

Well, all along the walk we held that $100 in reserve, waiting for that right moment.

One the eve of our walk into Santiago, my wonderful mother had an idea. She would provide a succulent, home inspired meal to multiple peregrinos, based on the generosity of my benefactor.

So we walked through the town of Arca (Los Pinos), bought frozen chickens, acquired onions, lettuce, tomatoes, tomato sauce, noodles, enough food to feed a modest army.

She would make chicken cacciatore.

When we arrived back at the alburgue my mother enlisted the help of friends we had met along the way.

She was the head chef, but many others added their personal influences. And everyone was welcome, whether they helped prepare the food or not.

When the meal was prepared, and we sat down, people of all nationalities, after walking 20-30 km that day, started to eat and the silence was deafening.

You know you are a good cook when the food is served and everyone is quiet. Or, you know that your guests are hungry.

Anyway, it was a spectacular success. My mother had shared her joy of cooking and providing for friends and family... built a monumental communal dinner, and at the table all toasted my benefactor... one of the greatest moments of my shared life with my mother.

The next day we walked into Santiago.

IMGP0575_268_068.jpg

IMGP0578_271_071.jpg IMGP0579_272_072.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I can't LIKE this enough, Damien. I LOVE it.

So many things about that gesture were special:
--giving, after receiving
--faith, that others would join you
--community, with people working together
--recognition, by YOU, of how special this event was
--memory, YOUR memory of your amazing mom, and this amazing time

I love you, mister. You are a good, good guy. Blessings.

We were having a big celebratory dinner in Santiago, sunburned and hungry. An older Spanish couple at another table recognized us as periginos, and sent a bottle of fancy brandy with a note of congratulations.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My single greatest most special Camino memory...that would be a hard one, as so many come to mind. I will tell the story of my very first night in St. Jean Pied de Port.

I was assigned to a room in an albergue with two other women. I was the first one to arrive, and was delighted to see a little name marker on my bed, near the window. The other two women--one was in the middle and one on the other wall.

As I was tootling around trying to be pilgrim-like (checking out the bathroom, putting my two dirty items on the clothesline), a woman from the Netherlands approached. An older gal with lots of great gear on--pretty fancy and new, ha ha! (like mine)--she took my wrist and pulled me into her room to show me her bed, a bottom bunk in a room with three bunkbeds, if memory serves.

With a shake of distaste, she took her name card and walked it in to my room, swapping it out for the name card on the middle bed.

I knew that the women were traveling together, so I said, "Sorry, lo sentio, sorry sorry! can not do! can not do!" and I showed her my wedding band and pointed to the beds, "together!", I said. "Together!"

"Ohhhhhhh" said she, and went back to her bunk bed.

When the two British women came in later--sisters!--they had a chuckle at the tale, and were glad I had kept them together, although it was a sibling together, not a married together.

Great Camino memories that all of you on that dinner table will remember that special night for the rest of your life! A scrumptious dinner cooked by your mother after walking 20-30 km...what an energy! everybody helped and a good way to end the day - it's all worth it! thank you for sharing this incredible story! Kudos to both of you and your mentor for making this wonderful Camino Memories! (sharing, preparing the meal and great company enjoyed by all!

Another great memories made! Enjoy the time with your Mom on your next journey and many Blessings to both of you!

Hugs. and Buen Camino

You mean aside from hanging with my camino pod? It was in Granon. I was giving myself a walking tour and a dog came up and put her paws on my knees and then took my hand ever so softly in her mouth. Her owner (the woman in the picture) came running up from around the corner and was saying no no no to the dog. I told her with a smile I was ok. She spoke no English, I speak barely any Spanish. Yet we ended up talking for 45 minutes. We talked about dogs, husbands, kids, how old we were, where I am from. It was a wonderful experience.
16632862740_c55b225e8f_z.jpg
Click on photo to make it larger.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have walked 2 caminos. Each one had a profound moment.

My first camino was the English way from Ferrol. I was full of doubt about my ability to walk that far. The feelings I experienced upon seeing the cathedral spires from the outskirts of Santiago were and still are beyond description.

My second camino was the Portuguese way from Porto. I stopped at a small chaple to take some pictures when a group of pilgrims stopped for a blessing. As I stepped out a member of the group told me I could stay. I politely declined informing her that I was agnostic. She smiled at me and replied "that's OK there's still time".

Buen Camino

recognition, by YOU, of how special this event was

Oh, there was a glimmer in her eye, as if all her life and contribution had come together and focused in a moment that night, and I was blessed with being close by to recognize and record it.

The people we had met along the way also amplified the experience. There was an Italian Cop (female) and an American Ex Pat on their honeymoon. There was an Irish lass walking alone at such a young age that I assume is easily identified in the table photo, there was this older man from some European country, who was completing his 10th walk to Santiago... what a concept! 10 walks - who would do such a thing? and why?... (and yet, next May, it will be 8 for me..., now I get it)

Mary Kay was a successful business attorney in the US. This is one of her identities that was very important to her.

But she was also a mother to all she met, and cooking a great meal is such a wonderful way to spread love. So she did it. She loved it that night.

The best part is she never bragged about it or set it on the trophy stand. Between us, and those at the table, it was a humble expression of the joy of community.

Hard for me to miss, but rather easy to embrace, and always remember.

Last edited:
Oh, there was a glimmer in her eye, as if all her life and contribution had come together and focused in a moment that night, and I was blessed with being close by to recognize and record it.

The people we had met along the way also amplified the experience. There was an Italian Cop (female) and an American Ex Pat on their honeymoon. There was an Irish lass walking alone at such a young age that I assume is easily identified in the table photo, there was this older man from some European country, who was completing his 10th walk to Santiago... what a concept! 10 walks - who would do such a thing? and why?... (and yet, next May, it will be 8 for me..., now I get it)

Mary Kay was a successful business attorney in the US. This is one of her identities that was very important to her.

But she was also a mother to all she met, and cooking a great meal is such a wonderful way to spread love. So she did it. She loved it that night.

The best part is she never bragged about it or set it on the trophy stand. Between us, and those at the table, it was a humble expression of the joy of community.

Hard for me to miss, but rather easy to embrace, and always remember.
Memory is a way of holding onto
The things you love...
The things you are...
The things you never want to lose.
[from The Wonder Years]

I see you--@DamienReynolds. And you have made it so that I can see your mom, too. Your writing is sincere, to the point, and without any fat on the bones. You're a great writer.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was giving myself a walking tour and a dog came up and put her paws on my knees and then took my hand ever so softly in her mouth

Dogs are special. They have been genetically altered through artificial selection to meet our satisfaction, in such a loving, altruistic way.

They are also windows to their humans.

I only know the dog owners in my community.

Windows. And doorways.

After so many Caminos, so many places, so many people, so many experiences it can still only be the one experience above all others. I had only walked 5 days from Ferrol on the Ingles, rarely with any company. It had given me a wonderful time of reflection. There I was, renewed, kneeling in front of St James for the first time and falling in love with him and everything his Camino was giving me. Fortunately the feelings I have whenever I kneel in front of him have not diminished. The gratitude to him is even more as I thank him for bringing me ever closer to my friend above. He has helped me arrive at a peace that keeps me forever joyful, forever with a smile on my face, and forever a person whose optimism is fulfilled. He has helped make me a very happy little bunny! ;)

I have two really special moments, both of them related to churches, which is really strange, since I'm not religious at all.

The first one was somewhere on VdlP, I think, walking into some small town or other along with my husband and our son, on Easter Sunday around noon.

A tiny old woman, dressed in black as they always are, came bustling along the street. She lit up when she saw us. "?Peregrinos?" We reliep and she grabbed my arm, really hard, and dragged me along. I had no idea where we were going, but we very soon came to a small church, where I think all the people in town had gathered - maybe a couple of hundred. She pushed and dragged us to the curb, told us to stand still, RIGHT THERE, then disappeared around the corner of the church.

A couple of minutes later a small figure of Mary, dressed in black, on a small float, was carried around from around the Church corner. It was carried by old ladies, dressed in black, and they walked very slowly and looked very sad. The small procession stopped, right in front of us.

Then, around the Church from the other direction, came another float, carried by young men: Jesus, resurrected. The old women and the young men stood facing each other, dancing with the floats on their shoulders. Then the smallest old lady climbed a small folding ladder, and removed Mary's black dress. Underneath she was wearing sparkling white and jewels. The statues danced a bit more. Then the old people into the church for their celebration, and the young people in town, including most of the young men, had a street disco with music from a car.

We went into church for the short celebration, skipped the disco and kept walking.

Last year, a few days out from Madrid, again on Easter Sunday, my husband and I were hurrying. We thought there might be an Encuentro of some sort (like the one described above) in the next village, and we didn't want to miss it. Then a small, very dirty car stopped next to us. "?Peregrinos? Going to (X)?" I replied yes, and that I wondered if there would be an Encuentro. "Yes, but you're a bit late." Disappointed pilgrims. "Don't worry, they won't start before I get there, I'm the priest!" He then asked us to jump in the back seat, giving us absolution in advance for not walking. The priest noticed that my husband wasn't following everything that was said, and switched to English - he'd lived several years in New York, and was glad to practice!

When we got to town (around 3 km), he put our backpacks in the sacristy and we joined the congregation in their pews.

As the Mass was drawing to an end, he switched to English and asked us to stand up. Then we were introduced to the locals, with names, ages, professions and number of pilgrimages walked before, and the priest also told them to take good care of us.

We were the only people in the town albergue, and got a lot of attention eating and drinking in one of the two local bars that evening...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Damien Reynolds , what a wonderful lesson your mom has shared with you, even if I am convinced that was far from being her plan. My mum was an extraordinary cook and moments around the table sharing her meals are some of my most cherished memories of her.

As for my most cherished memories: the faces of the three men I ended up walking CF2 when I first met them:

1) the Spaniard who grew up in the Bierzo mountains resting in the shade because otherwise he would get to his meeting point with a friend days Too early,while I was resting what I now know are my flat feet. He was the BEST tourist guide for the area as he was born and grown in the area. He knew so much about local history. Poor thing, his friends apparently called him the "well of unnecessary knowledge". I beg to differ: I discovered that part of Spain thanks to him.

2) the Persian/american with his NYC white teeth shinning through under this tan and beard.

3) the young Frenchman, with super thick eyeglasses, a boy whomhad never been away from home before walkig from its doorstpe in Arles to Santiago and then on to Lisbon to catch a flight to join his brother is Africa where they would be doing humanitarian work for more than a year. Will never forget him doign some "beatbox" in the newly restored Ermita outisde of Triacastela, so into the moment, only to be chastised by the owner o_O. So talented,msi insightful and wise despite never having been exposed to higher ed. Etc., never inhibited by his extremely poor eyesight.

They are the only "camino family" I have ever known. The New Yorker refered to us as the cast from Babel: one spoke this and that, the other that and this, me all of it, bridging French, Spanish, English. The Spaniard met his friend in Ponferada, the French walked on faster but I did spot him in Santiago at mass, the NYer and I went to Muxia with an add on and her local friend.

Those 3 faces, the very moment I first came upon them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dogs are special. They have been genetically altered through artificial selection to meet our satisfaction, in such a loving, altruistic way.

They are also windows to their humans.

I only know the dog owners in my community.

Windows. And doorways.
Lets just say consciencous breeders breed for character first, then type, but always keeping in mind what the breed was created for. Ironically, why os it the "companion dogs" end up being the ankle biters?! But that is a whole other story.... Back to our regulat programming...

Hubby has an interest in WWI history and 25 April 2015 was the 100th anniversary of the the Gallipoli Campaign that forged the Anzac Spirit and captured the idea of an Australian national character. We had held a quiet ceremony along the Camino to commemorate and the sacrifices of that 'Great War' were often in our thoughts. My husband's grandfathers fought there in the battles along the Western Front. Losses were horrific and many bodies were never recovered.

On our last day into Santiago my husband walked for a short while with a Frenchman. He lives in the French Flanders area and says that everyday he looks out from his window and says a prayer for our countrymen who still lie there all around him.

It was a poignant yet beautiful moment and moved my husband to tears.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
After so many Caminos, so many places, so many people, so many experiences it can still only be the one experience above all others. I had only walked 5 days from Ferrol on the Ingles, rarely with any company. It had given me a wonderful time of reflection. There I was, renewed, kneeling in front of St James for the first time and falling in love with him and everything his Camino was giving me. Fortunately the feelings I have whenever I kneel in front of him have not diminished. The gratitude to him is even more as I thank him for bringing me ever closer to my friend above. He has helped me arrive at a peace that keeps me forever joyful, forever with a smile on my face, and forever a person whose optimism is fulfilled. He has helped make me a very happy little bunny! ;)
I hear you, Al... I hear you loud and clear. Can't recall how many times I wept in The Tomb, The Holy Eucharist Chapel, at Mass.... only out of gratitude. Buen Camino :)

Memories, so many I think every day on the Camino,BUT without doubt it was the morning of day 1 Camino 1 when Ileft to start and walk and I looked down the road and took my first step, as I had no idea how my life was about to change. I count my blessings that I took that first step. To all those thinking about going and have reservations go ahead take that first step you will never regret it....

This continues to be my favorite recollection. --

Although 10 caminos and more than 450 nights usually in albergues provide limitless memories for which I am forever grateful, January 24, 2009, was singular.

I had walked 5 hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually dense snow up the Valcarlos route to the almost mythic monastery of Roncesvalles! Saw few people and no other pilgrims on the route; needed to ring the the monastery bell to ask for shelter and would be the only one staying in the frigid old winter albergue tucked opposite the cloister entrance.

When opening the monastery door the surprised monk greeted me saying "Senora in weather like this!" After stamping my Credential and offering hot tea, he invited me to the evening benediction. As always it was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silver sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and asked me to stand with them at the altar. ...In retrospect how special it was that snowy night to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood and will continue to stand throughout time. ...

Margaret Meredith

This continues to be my favorite recollection. --

Although 10 caminos and more than 450 nights usually in albergues provide limitless memories for which I am forever grateful, January 24, 2009, was singular.

I had walked 5 hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually dense snow up the Valcarlos route to the almost mythic monastery of Roncesvalles! Saw few people and no other pilgrims on the route; needed to ring the the monastery bell to ask for shelter and would be the only one staying in the frigid old winter albergue tucked opposite the cloister entrance.

When opening the monastery door the surprised monk greeted me saying "Senora in weather like this!" After stamping my Credential and offering hot tea, he invited me to the evening benediction. As always it was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silver sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and asked me to stand with them at the altar. ...In retrospect how special it was that snowy night to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood and will continue to stand throughout time. ...

Margaret Meredith
Your account of this experience gave me chills. How special, and what an experience--and ten camino! My goodness, you are such a sage. I hold you in great esteem.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Difficult to pick just one memory from the thousands of amazing, inspirational and truly spiritual experiences from my Caminos.

In 2014 I was invited to climb a medieval Church tower and ring an 800 year old bell, the oldest in Navarra. Last year I was invited to do a reading in the Evening Mass in O Cebreiro.

Also in 2014 I came across Nia and Mau's house in Castrojeriz, named The Hospital for the Soul. I spent around an hour with them talking, meditating and enjoying herbal tea. I could never walk through Castrojeriz again without calling in on them to say hello.

As I have heard, the Camino provides.

Soooo true. :)

Mike

If you're enjoying this thread then hopefully you'll enjoy this one just as much
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/favourite-things-and-places.2850/

My most special memory on the Camino Frances (apart from arriving at the Cathedral) was in Castrojerez (mentioned in the above thread) when I walked the short distance out to the convent of Santa Clara - and I was the only one watching quietly as the cloistrered nuns said vespers one evening - sadly, at the time, I didn't realise that I might have bought cakes or sweets from them (not sure if this is still true though)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What was my greatest Camino memory? I’ve thought a lot about this since first seeing this post. Unfortunately, the one that stays most with me was a negative experience, but it led to pondering my purpose on the Camino.
One day, a woman caught up to me and we began talking. She then boasted for the next 20 minutes about all the people she encouraged to quit their Camino. She believed that there should be no pain on the Camino and if a peligrino/a was experiencing any kind of struggle, they needed to return home. She couldn’t believe it when she saw people she told to quit who, a couple of days later, were still walking in pain and was so proud that she finally was able to convince them to leave. After 20 minutes of this, I tied my shoelaces (thanks Damien
J) and excused myself for a needed rest stop.
I was so irritated by her that I couldn’t stop thinking about what she said. The Camino is a microcosm of life. We’re all here to help each other to make it through hard times, not discourage them. I thought about giving young Chloé ibuprophen for her injured foot. When I realized that she hadn’t eaten and since ibuprophen shouldn’t be taken on an empty stomach, I gave her my cashews. She felt bad about “using all my stuff” but my response to her was that this was why we’re here, to help each other. I thought of the people who gave me Compeeds when my blisters were killing me, the hospitalera who drew a tub of salt water for me to soak my swollen feet, the people who noticed I was wearing my pack too high and helped me make adjustments, the man who taught me to use my poles for “cadence”, and the people who cheered as I arrived at the alburgues after them. So many stories that there’s not enough space, but I’m sure we all have had them. To those kind friends, Thank You! You are my greatest Camino memory.

What was my greatest Camino memory? I’ve thought a lot about this since first seeing this post. Unfortunately, the one that stays most with me was a negative experience, but it led to pondering my purpose on the Camino.
One day, a woman caught up to me and we began talking. She then boasted for the next 20 minutes about all the people she encouraged to quit their Camino. She believed that there should be no pain on the Camino and if a peligrino/a was experiencing any kind of struggle, they needed to return home. She couldn’t believe it when she saw people she told to quit who, a couple of days later, were still walking in pain and was so proud that she finally was able to convince them to leave. After 20 minutes of this, I tied my shoelaces (thanks Damien
J) and excused myself for a needed rest stop.
I was so irritated by her that I couldn’t stop thinking about what she said. The Camino is a microcosm of life. We’re all here to help each other to make it through hard times, not discourage them. I thought about giving young Chloé ibuprophen for her injured foot. When I realized that she hadn’t eaten and since ibuprophen shouldn’t be taken on an empty stomach, I gave her my cashews. She felt bad about “using all my stuff” but my response to her was that this was why we’re here, to help each other. I thought of the people who gave me Compeeds when my blisters were killing me, the hospitalera who drew a tub of salt water for me to soak my swollen feet, the people who noticed I was wearing my pack too high and helped me make adjustments, the man who taught me to use my poles for “cadence”, and the people who cheered as I arrived at the alburgues after them. So many stories that there’s not enough space, but I’m sure we all have had them. To those kind friends, Thank You! You are my greatest Camino memory.
What an encouraging and heartfelt account. First, I can hardly believe that someone would discourage others--but that said, there was someone on my last Camino who mocked me for "following the arrows" and "trusting" that I would find a place to sleep every night. She was walking near me as I entered Ponferrada, and got busy on her device using bookingdotcom or something, and calling places and talking in a loud voice...I picked up my cadence and exited stage right (right following those arrows).

She was walking near me as I entered Ponferrada, and got busy on her device using bookingdotcom or something, and calling places and talking in a loud voice...I picked up my cadence and exited stage right (right following those arrows).
The good thing about new technology? Less people in the albergues...:):)

After 20 minutes of this, I tied my shoelaces (thanks DamienJ) and excused myself for a needed rest stop.

I love your post, but... tying your shoelaces is a way to determine if others want to hang with you, not a way to get away from others! For her, I would have resorted to walking as fast as I could until her faint heavy breaths grew silent, or "What's that?" (Using hiking pole to point in a direction) (then running in a different direction.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Your little trick works both ways

Another favorite camino memory. I actually did have to tie my shoe. And the pretty girl actually stopped and waited. I got a lot of shit for that post for suggesting a way to to get rid of someone. I wasn't!

Nevertheless, with a person who is more into themselves than anything else, I suppose stopping and tying a shoe would work appropriately.

We were having a big celebratory dinner in Santiago, sunburned and hungry. An older Spanish couple at another table recognized us as periginos, and sent a bottle of fancy brandy with a note of congratulations.
The magic of the Camino, I cannot wait till on my way again this year.

I can't wait to start my 5 camino in sep,its all of the memories and great people that bring you back and when your not on the camino your dreaming about being on it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My all time favourite memory was walking into Santiago and seeing the Cathedral on my very first camino - 16 years ago. My favourite from my last camino was walking past a group of pilgrims in the last 100 kilometres, some blind, some with other disabilities, some who were "walking" in wheelchairs. Totally inspiring.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back