• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My sleep sack "innovation"

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I've used a silk sleep sack for both of my Caminos, and the only issue that I have with it is getting tangled up in it as I sleep. I was thinking how nice it would be to have a bottom fitted sheet that doesn't move around. So I attached tow pieces of elastic to keep the liner in place. I made my own silk sleep sack the same width as a twin bed, and with a zipper, but I think that you could probably add the elastic to any sleep sack. Elastic.jpgElastic detail.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Nicely done, trecile. :D:cool:

My backpacking sleeping quilts have a similar strapping system if one wishes to attach it to a sleeping pad or air mattress, but I have not seen that on a regular sleeping bag / sack before. That looks very effective at keeping a restless sleeper from becoming entangled in their bag :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great idea Trecile! I sew and would love to create this as well. Would you be willing to share the pattern/dimensions so I don't have to recreate the wheel?
Great idea but I am most impressed by the colorful sheet. No way are you ever going to grab the wrong one.

I bought white silk fabric (45 inch wide 8mm habatoi) from Dharma Trading. I bought 6 yards to make sure that I had extra for any mistakes I might make. Then I dyed it using a low water immersion technique with dyes that I had from Dharma. The finished size is just about the same as a twin mattress, and I made a separate pillow case. The elastic is attached about 12 inches from the top and bottom, and I used a 36inch zipper - lightweight invisible on a mesh backing, though I didn't install it as an invisible zipper. The silk is very easy to snip and rip to get nice and even.
This is actually the 3rd silk sack that I've made. The first one I bought a pre-made double silk sack, then dyed it and cut it down to a generous single. It was almost perfect, but not quite, so last year made one from scratch. Both of the first two had the built in pillow cover. I decided that I'd rather have a separate pillow case, and wanted to make some other improvements, so this one is the NEW! IMPROVED! product. :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I bought white silk fabric (45 inch wide 8mm habatoi) from Dharma Trading. I bought 6 yards to make sure that I had extra for any mistakes I might make. Then I dyed it using a low water immersion technique with dyes that I had from Dharma. The finished size is just about the same as a twin mattress, and I made a separate pillow case. The elastic is attached about 12 inches from the top and bottom, and I used a 36inch zipper - lightweight invisible on a mesh backing, though I didn't install it as an invisible zipper. The silk is very easy to snip and rip to get nice and even.
This is actually the 3rd silk sack that I've made. The first one I bought a pre-made double silk sack, then dyed it and cut it down to a generous single. It was almost perfect, but not quite, so last year made one from scratch. Both of the first two had the built in pillow cover. I decided that I'd rather have a separate pillow case, and wanted to make some other improvements, so this one is the NEW! IMPROVED! product. :D

Why am I not surprised you're the Queen of Tie-Dye?

Abrazos!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I bought white silk fabric (45 inch wide 8mm habatoi) from Dharma Trading. I bought 6 yards to make sure that I had extra for any mistakes I might make. Then I dyed it using a low water immersion technique with dyes that I had from Dharma. The finished size is just about the same as a twin mattress, and I made a separate pillow case. :D
Love this idea Trecile! Thanks for sharing all the details. Just looking at Dharma Trading and wondering if by using the 10mm, 12mm or 16mm habatoi (heavier habatoi)) would it make a 'warmer' sleep sack and thus eliminating the need for a sleeping bag? Alternatively, how do you think using a double layer of fabric on the top of the sack would go? Love your colours!

I've used a silk sleep sack for both of my Caminos, and the only issue that I have with it is getting tangled up in it as I sleep. I was thinking how nice it would be to have a bottom fitted sheet that doesn't move around. So I attached tow pieces of elastic to keep the liner in place. I made my own silk sleep sack the same width as a twin bed, and with a zipper, but I think that you could probably add the elastic to any sleep sack. View attachment 43946View attachment 43947
Great idea!

I've used a silk sleep sack for both of my Caminos, and the only issue that I have with it is getting tangled up in it as I sleep. I was thinking how nice it would be to have a bottom fitted sheet that doesn't move around. So I attached tow pieces of elastic to keep the liner in place. I made my own silk sleep sack the same width as a twin bed, and with a zipper, but I think that you could probably add the elastic to any sleep sack. View attachment 43946View attachment 43947
I love this! I’ve also doctored mine (a double) to make a Spanish pillowcase out of it as well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
how do you think using a double layer of fabric on the top of the sack would go?
If you do this then design it so you can sleep under the double layers on the cooler nights and flip it to sleep under the single layer on the warmer nights. Also if you have a paper sheet available you might be able to sleep under all the layers on a three dog night.

Last edited:
I used to tie-dye in my twenties. And purchased dyes from Dharma trading company - they have been around for awhile. Love this idea and love the colorful sleep sac. I imagine this could cheer up one's spirit at the end of a long hard day of walking. Thanks so much for sharing! I am inspired!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Trecile -thank you for posting this. I do not sew, but I may try this as it doesn't sound too difficult...(I hope):)

Trecile -thank you for posting this. I do not sew, but I may try this as it doesn't sound too difficult...(I hope):)
It's not that hard. Just straight seams, but you do want to finish the raw edges. I have a serger, so that makes it easier. The most complicated thing is planning it out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wish I had seen this before I left. I’m having a hard time with the confinement of my mummy liner bag. I’m also wishing that my pillow case were longer than normal. The pillows provided so far have all been very long, but comfortable.

€83,-
Wish I had seen this before I left. I’m having a hard time with the confinement of my mummy liner bag. I’m also wishing that my pillow case were longer than normal. The pillows provided so far have all been very long, but comfortable.

Not to derail this thread, but just to say that you can find Spanish size all-cotton pillow cases in most of the “tiendas de chinos” that are located in many towns along many different caminos. They are very cheap. The only thing you will have to remember is to remove the pillow case in the morning and take it with you. If I had a quarter for every pillowcase I’ve left on a pillow, as well as for every plug adaptor I’ve left in the wall, I would be a wealthy woman.

Fantastic idea. I like the wide side opening and I suppose you turn the sheet inside out if you want the opening on the other side and the pillow in the same spot?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Very ingenious ! :cool:

Fantastic idea. I like the wide side opening and I suppose you turn the sheet inside out if you want the opening on the other side and the pillow in the same spot?
Actually, easier than that. Since the pillowcase is separate, the top and bottom are exactly the same, so I can just flip it so that the opening is on the side that I want.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm back from the Camino, and I'm happy to report that my new silk sack worked great! I never got tangled up in it. I'm thinking about exploring the possibility of making them to sell to other pilgrims. Anyone have an idea of the best way to sell them? Etsy?

I'm back from the Camino, and I'm happy to report that my new silk sack worked great! I never got tangled up in it. I'm thinking about exploring the possibility of making them to sell to other pilgrims. Anyone have an idea of the best way to sell them? Etsy?

There is an old (2011) thread on this forum about custom made camino buffs. I think the OP of that thread sold out her order of 250 custom buffs, but it took her two years. You might want to start something similar here (if @ivar doesn't mind...) with your sleep sack innovation to try it out.
To tackle the initial financial aspect of it: crowdfunding (like Kickstarter) might be wise. No money invested in materials and such until you have enough orders. Maybe you can even go custom regarding colors/pattern, but that will depend on how serious you are (and how optimistic you are about the difference between expectation and end result).
Who knows, maybe you'll become a sleep sack millionaire!

€149,-
There is an old (2011) thread on this forum about custom made camino buffs. I think the OP of that thread sold out her order of 250 custom buffs, but it took her two years. You might want to start something similar here (if @ivar doesn't mind...) with your sleep sack innovation to try it out.
To tackle the initial financial aspect of it: crowdfunding (like Kickstarter) might be wise. No money invested in materials and such until you have enough orders. Maybe you can even go custom regarding colors/pattern, but that will depend on how serious you are (and how optimistic you are about the difference between expectation and end result).
Who knows, maybe you'll become a sleep sack millionaire!
I wasn't really thinking about making them on a really large scale, which would involve hiring people to do the sewing. I might try making a few and seeing if I can sell them on Etsy or somewhere.

I wasn't really thinking about making them on a really large scale, which would involve hiring people to do the sewing. I might try making a few and seeing if I can sell them on Etsy or somewhere.
Just wondering how quickly you can make one of these and if you are willing to do so in a bit of a rush? I'm in Canada and leaving on September 15 for France. I also realize that where you are geographically versus where I am might put a damper on things even if you were willing to put one together that quickly. Thanks so much for sharing your brilliant idea!

Just wondering how quickly you can make one of these and if you are willing to do so in a bit of a rush? I'm in Canada and leaving on September 15 for France. I also realize that where you are geographically versus where I am might put a damper on things even if you were willing to put one together that quickly. Thanks so much for sharing your brilliant idea!
I just sent you a PM

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Any specific reason you use silk?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great idea.

This is a very helpful (older) thread, thanks to Trecile especially for the photos. May I ask: is there a seam on the long zipper-free side? And how long are the elastics that you used?

Also, did you ever use a down blanket on its own? ie. without also using the liner? If so, any feedback on the experience?

Gracias.

I rarely sew, so I buy a super cheap, super lightweight, set of twin bed sheets from the Dollar Store for about $5.50. I bring the nicely fitted bottom sheet for use on all albergue beds and treated with Permethrin; no elastic cords to mess with so easy peasy. My lightweight sleeping bag goes on top. I bring the pillowcase, too, but leave the flat sheet home. These junky sheets weigh even less than nothing.😅

€149,-
This is a very helpful (older) thread, thanks to Trecile especially for the photos. May I ask: is there a seam on the long zipper-free side? And how long are the elastics that you used?

Also, did you ever use a down blanket on its own? ie. without also using the liner? If so, any feedback on the experience?

Gracias.
Yes, there is a seam on the side opposite the zipper.
I found these cool squeeze hooks to adjust the length of the elastic. Instead of sewing the elastic onto the sleep sack I sew loops (made out of elastic hair ties) onto the sides of the sleep sack that the hook holding the elastic hooks onto.

Elastic (2).jpg

If you are thinking about making a similar sleep sack yourself or altering one that you have, send me a private message (click on my name, then "start conversation), and I can give you more details.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.