• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My solo walk from Valenca

roamingpaddy

Time of past OR future Camino
Im presently at Redondela after a 30+ km walk yesterday from Tui. The walk was lovely but we had rain almost all day. I encountered about 28 other walkers. I'm at a state of the art albergue, A Dársena Do Francés,just 3 of us staying.
I have some hotspots on my feet soles and am a bit worried that they may turn into blisters.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Im presently at Redondela after a 30+ km walk yesterday from Tui. The walk was lovely but we had rain almost all day. I encountered about 28 other walkers. I'm at a state of the art albergue, A Dársena Do Francés,just 3 of us staying.
I have some hotspots on my feet soles and am a bit worried that they may turn into blisters.
Paddy, have you time to take a rest day? If not, keep the feet aired as much as possible. Not worth letting them get out of control. Enjoy the experience though, no matter what.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I found stopping every couple of hours and changing my socks helped keep my feet happy. I switched between 2 pairs a few times a day. Allowing my feet to cool down for a few minutes and then putting on fresh socks was pure gold.

Buen Camino!

That’s an impressive ‘day one’ distance Paddy. Do, please, take care of your feet - and post more often. It’s a good route and your thoughts are worth reading.

A lot more were on this section from Redondela to Pontevedra. I recon about 40 pilgrims I met today. After a day of rain yesterday the sun was most welcome. I struggled with blisters today+ tendon trouble+heat rash inner thighs. Fellow pilgrims came to my aid today putting dressings on my blisters.
Im taking a days rest here tomorrow to take time to recover. I'm no spring chicken even though I think I am at times.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A lot more were on this section from Redondela to Pontevedra. I recon about 40 pilgrims I met today. After a day of rain yesterday the sun was most welcome. I struggled with blisters today+ tendon trouble+heat rash inner thighs. Fellow pilgrims came to my aid today putting dressings on my blisters.
Im taking a days rest here tomorrow to take time to recover. I'm no spring chicken even though I think I am at times.
Hello Paddy:

Hope you get better.

Iván

Attachments

• AF4B6D80-E822-48FA-A234-F2948D6E4C81.jpeg
    AF4B6D80-E822-48FA-A234-F2948D6E4C81.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 6
tendon trouble
Hoping your rest day is a good one, @roamingpaddy. I am not intending to give medical advice, but in my experience you are likely to be able to nip it in the bud. Starting to stretch the calf muscles the instant that tendonitis/shin splints begins to make its appearance, along with icing the shins, elevation at night, has worked magic for me. I stop right where I am at the first sign of pain, do several good stretches using a tree or a bench or whatever I have nearby. Then a bit of rest, and on I go.

I think the problem is that so much of the terrain of the popular caminos is now on asphalt/tarmac/pavement, that it’s the repetitive foot pounding that messes with our feet. On dirt or other uneven terrain, the foot strike is much less identical, leading to happier feet.

I know that I should do a whole regular series of muscle stretches before starrting to walk, but I usually don’t. What I do do though is start focused stretches at the very first sign of muscle distress, whether it be my quads, my hamstring, my achilles.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hoping your rest day is a good one, @roamingpaddy. I am not intending to give medical advice, but in my experience you are likely to be able to nip it in the bud. Starting to stretch the calf muscles the instant that tendonitis/shin splints begins to make its appearance, along with icing the shins, elevation at night, has worked magic for me. I stop right where I am at the first sign of pain, do several good stretches using a tree or a bench or whatever I have nearby. Then a bit of rest, and on I go.

I think the problem is that so much of the terrain of the popular caminos is now on asphalt/tarmac/pavement, that it’s the repetitive foot pounding that messes with our feet. On dirt or other uneven terrain, the foot strike is much less identical, leading to happier feet.

I know that I should do a whole regular series of muscle stretches before starrting to walk, but I usually don’t. What I do do though is start focused stretches at the very first sign of muscle distress, whether it be my quads, my hamstring, my achilles.
great advice, thank you, I will keep it in mind.

Well I made it to SDCS today after 5 walking days, I had to have a rest day midway to allow my blisters to heal a bit and after that I had no problems. People were great along the way both fellow pilgrims and Galician and Portegues. Its a great route, well signposted. I have 3 days now in SDCS so I will enjoy it. Thanks to everyone. Gratais.

Congrats, Paddy.
Sounds like the feet were not problematic after your rest - well done!
Now, enjoy Santiago.
You are too early for the cuppa upstairs at the Pilgrim office, see attached:
DADBD200-A28D-4AF9-BC83-6872D95CCD8C.png

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

This is great advice. It is too tempting to put up with the discomfort from blisters and push on through. Walking with blisters can change ones gait/stride by an undetectable amount. This could lead to severe muscle/tendon strains tears later on. As we get older stretching is becoming more and more important. The additional weight of a massage/muscle roller stick is also something well worth considering.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back