• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My son on the Camino - a live update from mum in Australia

KateB

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
Hi - I've had a few people ask me if I can post some updates on how Jack and his friends are getting along so rather than tack onto the beginning thread from SJPDP, I'll just post a few lines each day when he contacts me.

Today the overnight stop was Uterga. They left Pamplona and crossed the Perdon Pass, taking some bewitching photos of the whooping wind turbines and the pilgrim sculptures. The sun was out, scattered fluffy clouds dotted the skyline and carpets of yellow wildflowers were their companions. He took a photo of his friends walking in the middle distance front of him, surrounded by that view of those flowers and blue sky. It was so beautiful it caught in my throat when I tried to explain to someone today.

Not sure of his next stop - presume Puente la Reina - and if you see him and his four friends - say hi!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi hi KateB. How nice that you can follow your sons progress almost day to day.

To make sure he keeps in touch maybe you could end all your replies with "cliff hangers"? Example. "Glad to hear it's going well Jack. I'll tell you how I got on getting the roo out of the kitchen latter." He's bound to get back to you!

I guess those carpets of yellow flowers are the wide fields of rape.

Impressive view. Of course.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yesterday they walked from Uterga to Estella. A very long day. He described his fatigue as 'broken knees, ruined body'.
I hope he is going at his own pace and not pushing himself to keep up with others.

I hope he is going at his own pace and not pushing himself to keep up with others.
He's young, he's male and he's with a group of friends. He doesn't need to be old and wise yet;-) On the other hand, he may well be one of those many who in a few days start slowing down because they realise they are missing something - or he might just like pushing himself to new limits. There are lots of ways to walk a camino.

Sounds as if you are now enjoying his journey as much as he is. So happy to hear he is doing well, despite the aching joints ;0), and that you also have a smile on your face. This will be a very important event in his life, and you were there all the way along with him.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am glad you are not worrying anymore and that he is enjoying himself. I hope you continue to post about his progress as it is encouraging to all of us.

Uterga is the location of the fabled winery offering free red wine and water from two taps built into the wall of the winery on the Camino path. It may not be the best vintage, but you do tend to get what you pay for. On the other hand, free has a quality all its own.

I hope he was responsible. Too many folks empty their water bottles for the free wine. On a warm, dry summery day, this is not a wise idea. In any event, I am certain he and his fellow pilgrims enjoyed themselves.

I thought the wine was at Estella. Have I been giving out bad info?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Uterga is the location of the fabled winery offering free red wine and water from two taps built into the wall of the winery on the Camino path. It may not be the best vintage, but you do tend to get what you pay for. On the other hand, free has a quality all its own....

You mean Irache don't you? The winery is just before the monastery and slightly west of Estella. Wherever it may be and whatever the weather those taps are always very popular with passing pilgrims.

Uterga is the location of the fabled winery offering free red wine and water from two taps built into the wall of the winery on the Camino path. ...

Nops! You confuse it with Irache, just walking out of Estella, passed Ayegui! SY

He actually missed the winery with the outside taps. They knew about it and were looking forward to it (of course - they're 19!) but somehow they passed it by without realising. I think he was a tad disappointed by that :)

They're in Los Arcos at the moment after walking an 'easy' (his words) 22km today. He sent a photo of the world map etched into the hillside and another one that showed the path snaking off into the distance, dotted with pilgrims and rippling, silky green grass on either side, blazing blue sky overhead.

He said the mornings are cool but it warms up to hot afternoons. He also said many of the albergues where they're staying don't provide dinner (he was budgeting for their cheap eats) so his budget is blowing out - not too much but paying for restaurant food isn't what he expected.

He has only one blister which is minor. He's wearing Asics trainers but very expensive hiking socks so am not sure if that is making the difference. His pack also weighs 8kg but I guess even that's heavy after walking with it for 30km.

Our chat at 1am (my time in Australia) ended with him sending a short video of the five of them crashed out on their bunk beds, all on their phones to home and looks of utter exhaustion on their faces.

Not sure of next stop - I guess Torres del Rio - it depends on energy levels.

Thanks for all your positive words and encouragement - I'm passing them onto him :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If they are exhausted could it be that they are not drinking enough water, stopping for breaks at popular bars along the way and eating either an energy bar or something like fruit & nuts? It might also be useful to get rehydration tablets to add to their water bottle to sip as they walk, obtainable in the pharmacies in tubes of 24. Not all Albergues have restaurants but with their shell on their rucksacks some restaurants charge less for pilgrims so there's no harm in asking if there's a menu for pelegrinos! :)

Juno - thanks for the tip about the shell and discounts - will pass that on - and the tip about the rehydration tablets - all advice is so welcome.
It's 12.00 (midday) Spanish time and 8.00pm here in Australia so will await the 1am messages and his photos of him and his friends - five young Australians who - this time last year - were still in high school.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The boys are in Logrono after a 30km walk today. There was no room at any albergues so they had to spring for a hotel room which has added another hole in the budget but as I said to him - enjoy the privacy and peace! Enjoy sleeping on sheets and not having to share a bathroom.
Part of this walk was along a road which I wasn't expecting but he assured me it was very quiet.
More endless blue skies and sore knees.
Can't wait for the photos of Logrono - that bridge is just bewitching!

1108201202.jpg

:)

If they are exhausted could it be that they are not drinking enough water, stopping for breaks at popular bars along the way and eating either an energy bar or something like fruit & nuts? It might also be useful to get rehydration tablets to add to their water bottle to sip as they walk, obtainable in the pharmacies in tubes of 24. Not all Albergues have restaurants but with their shell on their rucksacks some restaurants charge less for pilgrims so there's no harm in asking if there's a menu for pelegrinos! :)

Actually, those menus are the same 'today's menus' you can easily find at almost every spanish bar and bar-restaurant. You can also ask for it even if you are not a pilgrim.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
He also said many of the albergues where they're staying don't provide dinner (he was budgeting for their cheap eats) so his budget is blowing out - not too much but paying for restaurant food isn't what he expected.
KateB, I get the feeling you may have to replentish the bank account. The few albergues that offer food do so at market prices (and when they are donativos you really should be paying market prices, if you can afford it). I also find that buying food at the local grocery store will end up costing the same as dinner '"out on the town" with a "'pilgrim menu", and you end up eating the same thing over and over again unless you share with a group of people and can then buy larger portions of this and that. In a grocery store I tend to buy a package of cold cuts, a tomato, a fruit, a single serving of yogurt. Just that will cost me 6-7 euros or so. There is no thing as a 'cheap eat' on the Camino, just a more or less fairly priced one.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I ALLOW Myself one senior moment each day. After that, I begin to get increasingly cross with myself.

On the rare day when I hit three such lapses in memory or judgement, I know that it is time to retire to my flat and surf the internet for mindless entertainment and a search to learn something new.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back