• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Spanish is poor.

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
I have been trying to learn Spanish with Rosetta stone and honestly have not been too successful. Are there 15 to 20 key sentences that I should/could focus on to make communication easier?

Joe Flavin

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here is a pilgrim specific list of English/Spanish words and phrases we use at our workshops.

Attachments

• English-Spanish for workshop.doc
    73 KB · Views: 392
Thanks.

This is exactly the type of stuff I was looking for. Just to make sure I opened it correctly there are two pages.
Do you run specific workshops for Pilgrims? What other topics do you cover?

Joe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Most confraternities around the world run practical workshops on an annual basis. The American Gathering is this month, the CSJ of UK had theirs a few weeks ago, the CSJ of SA have them in Cape Town, George, Durban and Johannesburg in March each year.
We cover how to get to your start and home again, what to pack (demo of male and female back pack) what to budget, accommodation, etiquett on the camino etc.
Here are a couple of extra handout papers that we gave at our workshop in Durban.

Attachments

• How much should I budget for walking the camino.doc
    32 KB · Views: 391
  • Things to know & Etiquett.doc
    61 KB · Views: 328
  • Back Pack list 2009 xls.xls
    203 KB · Views: 261
Sil:

This information has been great. In particular the Spanish and etiquette. I am leaving Chicago on March 22nd, starting on my Camino from SJPdP on MARCH 25th. My only real concerns have been weather and Language. You helped me fill in one of those gaps.

Thank you
Joe

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I found some of the etiquette really helpful and some of it obviously bitter and biased. I snore when I'm exhausted, I sure as heck am not going to drink less wine. Lol

Rosetta Stone is bad. Honestly. Unless you have years to learn, and you're just using it as a supplement anyway, it won't help you speak a language.

Look for the Pimsleur CDs in your local library. I think they're very useful (if terribly overpriced - hence the library suggestion.)

You can also google "Coffee Break Spanish" for a fun and easy free Spanish podcast that teaches basic travel phrases.

Have fun!

Rosetta Stone is bad. Honestly. Unless you have years to learn, and you're just using it as a supplement anyway, it won't help you speak a language.

Look for the Pimsleur CDs in your local library. I think they're very useful (if terribly overpriced - hence the library suggestion.)

You can also google "Coffee Break Spanish" for a fun and easy free Spanish podcast that teaches basic travel phrases.

Have fun!
I love pimsleur! I only did the first 30 lessons, but find that my comprehension has increased significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Check out the Jiffy Phrasebook:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0887299504/?tag=casaivar02-20

I have one for German that I use when traveling in German-speaking countries because my German is pretty bad :) I find it immensely helpful because it is organized by situation - at the restaurant, at the pharmacy, at the hotel, etc. It has vocabulary as well as phrases and sentences to use. So, I just open it to the section that I need and go from there. It really helps me make the most of the miniscule amount of German that I do know. I am sure it will be the same for Spanish.

Here is a pilgrim specific list of English/Spanish words and phrases we use at our workshops.

A couple of friendly corrections to this good document:

Is the refuge donativo? ¿Está el refugio donativo?
Better: ¿El refugio es de donativo? (“to be” is translated with two differents verbs “ser” and “estar”, it is a bit tricky).

Where is the toilet? ¿dónde está el baño?
In Spain, toilet is “servicio”. “Baño” is for shower. This may vary in different countries.

I congratulate you for your interest in Spanish. I know firsthand how it feels being in a country where you don't master the language...last year I went to the jakobsweg, and I am sure I did a lot of alternatively funny or embarrasing mistakes with my German. But everybody was patient and kind to me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When traveling in Spain, I usually have some fun exchanges due to the differences between Mexican Spanish and Spanish Spanish. Banos vs Servicios being one of them :) The differences result in some smiles and chuckles, and occasionally some confusion, but it gets worked out. Like Felipe says, most people cut you a lot of slack for your efforts. You just have to be willing to try and willing to laugh at your own mistakes.

I have been trying to learn Spanish with Rosetta stone and honestly have not been too successful. Are there 15 to 20 key sentences that I should/could focus on to make communication easier?

Joe Flavin
Hi Joe,

I too struggle with Rosetta Stone. For me, its just boring. I switched to the Pimsleur Approach and like it much better. I use the mp3 edition on my iphone, so I practice on the go when I'm driving or walking. I also like it because you can get a free lesson to try and you can purchase a few lessons at a time to see if you can stick with it. This is way less risky than purchasing an expensive program. I'm on my 3rd month of consistent use and my Spanish is really improving. Before, I could order a beer, ask for directions to the bathroom, and muddle through a few other survival needs. I'm walking in mid-June, and I hope to be able to hold small conversations and make purchases without asking for the price to be written down. Numbers are hard for me to remember for some reason.

Good luck,
Christine

Go to Verbal Planet or Myngle and get set up with one on one lessons on video skype. it is far more useful than any book or tape, just dive in with a teacher and start talking.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back