• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My stages (and sleeping places) on Caminho Portugues

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
Day 1 Lisboa (Sé catedral) - Vilafranca del Xira 43,55 km
Stayed in BP Hostel, nice place.

Day 2 Vilafranca del Xira - Porto de Muge 37,46 km
Stayed in Quinta da Marchanta, nice room

Day 3 Porto de Muge - Golegã 54,82 km (long because i wanted to stop in Azinhaga where I then couldn't find a bed and had to walk to the next town)
Stayed in Hotel Lusianto as everything else was closed or full.

Day 4 Golegã - Tomar 32,98 km
Stayed in Hostal Tomar, really nice.

Day 5 Tomar - Alvaiázere (the loveliest sello in my credentials in that albergue) 31,69 km
Stayed in Albergue Pinheiros, ok place

Day 6 Alvaiázere - Condeixa-a-Nova (off route) 47,63 km
Stayed at Hotel Pousada, expensive and not worth the money for just sleeping.

Day 7 Condeixa-a-Nova - Mealhada 41,76 km
Stayed in Albergue de Peregrinos da Mealhada

Day 8 Mealhada - Albergaria-a-Velha 43,41 km
Stayed at Albergue Rainha D. Tereza and it is really nice, lovely hospitaliero this year.

Day 9 Albergaria-a-Velha - São João da Madeira 29,16 km
Stayed at hotel Solar São João not the nicest place I have stayed in.

Day 10 São João da Madeira - Porto 35,60 km
Stayed at Residencial Flor de Bragança, the smallest room I have ever seen.

Day 11 Porto - São Pedro de Rates 39,24 km
Stayed at Albergue de Peregrinos - São Pedro de Rates, a nice albergue and good small store next to it.

Day 12 São Pedro de Rates - Ponte de Lima 50,31 km
Stayed at Albergue de Peregrinos - Ponte de Lima, really nice albergue and I loved the town.

Day 13 Ponte de Lima - Valença 34,83 km
Stayed at Albergue S. Teotónio it was ok but not the best, almost nothing in the kitchen.

Day 14 Valença - Cesantes 39,86 km
Stayed at Albergue O Refuxio de la Jerezana a really nice place to stay in

Day 15 Cesantes - Caldas de Reis 39,29 km
Stayed at Hostel Posada Doña Urraca and it was the worse place ever. Dirty and unattended. They have had bed bugs several times according to reviews. I did a bed bug check in my bed before even going into it, didn't see any but who knows. I hated the place.

Day 16 Caldas de Reis - Santiago de Compostela 43,76 km

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Impressive! But too many miles a day for my old bones. I shoot for 10-15 a day. My soon to be 70 years old knees won't tolerate much more. Bom Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I know it is not a race but really energetic schedule , well done

My 42 te

My 42 years old bones like to be used :)

Thank you for this, as I am hoping that in September 2015 I will be able to maintain a similar pace. I have a few questions, 1. Keeping this pace, were you able to see the recommended sites in the different places? 2. How long did you take to do your average 40Km? 3. Do you have alternative suggested accommodation for the places that you did not like or were just average? 4. i see that you have completed the stages from Santiago de Compostella to Finisterre, do you recall your stages and accommodation?

Thank you for this, as I am hoping that in September 2015 I will be able to maintain a similar pace. I have a few questions, 1. Keeping this pace, were you able to see the recommended sites in the different places? 2. How long did you take to do your average 40Km? 3. Do you have alternative suggested accommodation for the places that you did not like or were just average? 4. i see that you have completed the stages from Santiago de Compostella to Finisterre, do you recall your stages and accommodation?
Hi!
1. I didn't do any detours and I visited sites that were of my interest. I don't really care so much what the guide book says you must visit. I don't like cities with a lot of people when I'm on the camino so I just passed some bigger places. Will go back to Portugal with the family and really visit Coimbra, Porto, Barcelos etc. I went to the castle/convent in Tomar, lovely place.

2. The average was 38 km/day but I don't think the average says so much so here you have my times/day instead including my stops. It from sleeping place door to the next, i guess mu average day was about 8 h:
8:52:49

7:40:13

Day 3 Porto de Muge - Golegã 54,82 km
13:13:18 (a long stop in Azinhaga trying to find the dog's owner and finding a sleeping place)

7:50:30

Day 5 Tomar - Alvaiázere 31,69 km
6:59:34

10:42:12

9:25:56

10:02:29

6:01:47

7:08:24

7:29:50

10:13:23

7:26:32

8:01:20

7:34:24

9:18:20 ( a lot of longer stops to try to get back in focus after the bad night in Caldas de Reis)

Some of the longer stretches was because the albergues or pensions were filled up/didn't open the door.

3. As I lost my guidebook on the day I travelled home I can't give you names. But for instance the day I walked to Ponte de Lima I wanted to stay at Casa Fernanda but the had no beds available for me. In Caldas de Reis there are some other private albergues they can't be worse that the public one. Maybe the albergue in Tui is better than the one in Valença.

4. When I walked out tho Finisterre and Muxía I did
Santiago de Compostela - Negreira 22,4 km I was really ill that day my heart burn and anemia made me stop in Negreira and I don't remember much more than passing out on a bed.

Negreira - Cee 51,4 (after getting meds for the heart burn I was ok again)

Cee - Finisterre 12.7 + 3.5 to Faro

Finisterre - Muxía 28.5

Muxiá - Vilaserío 49.1

Vilaserío - Santiago de Compostela 34,8

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well I do have a lot of energy and I like to walk.
Great, definitely doable, i am going with the flow and do not have a return ticket booked - at least i have finally decided to do the camino walk/ run - i couldn't even make up my mind as to whether to cycle or walk/ run - i am much more of a runner than a walker - i have tried to train walking but end up running every time. i understand that the camino experience is unique for everyone but it was great to see your post and your times.

I don't really care so much what the guide book says you must visit. I don't like cities with a lot of people when I'm on the camino so I just passed some bigger places.

Well done :)
I also cross big cities very fast but it's sometime useful to replace lost/broken stuffs like walking shoes, cameras and so on :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'd find your journey on Instagram, impressive! Hat off to you!
I plan to walk the Portuguese route from Lisbon starting next week, no way I can keep your pace but that's definitely inspiring! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Day 3 Porto de Muge - Golegã 54,82 km (long because i wanted to stop in Azinhaga where I then couldn't find a bed and had to walk to the next town)

Day 5 Tomar - Alvaiázere (the loveliest sello in my credentials in that albergue) 31,69 km

Stayed at Albergue Rainha D. Tereza and it is really nice, lovely hospitaliero this year.

Stayed at Albergue de Peregrinos - São Pedro de Rates, a nice albergue and good small store next to it.

Stayed at Albergue de Peregrinos - Ponte de Lima, really nice albergue and I loved the town.

Stayed at Albergue S. Teotónio it was ok but not the best, almost nothing in the kitchen.

Stayed at Hostel Posada Doña Urraca and it was the worse place ever. Dirty and unattended. They have had bed bugs several times according to reviews. I did a bed bug check in my bed before even going into it, didn't see any but who knows. I hated the place.

Hello. How much did you spent

Hello. How much did you spent ?

I am planning my CP as we speak, and debating a start from Porto or Santiago. I can handle longer days, so this might just inspire me to start in Lisbon :)

Hello. How much did you spent

Hello. How much did you spent ?
Hi!
Sorry totally missed your question. Unfortunately I seams to have lost my two last days of spending so I tried to recreate from diary notes. I haven't summed it up. I don't really care how much I spend.

Day 0 - Travel

Sim card €28.70
Metro €1.9
Hotel €40
Dinner €28.5
Water €1.5

Day 1 Lisboa-Vilafranca de Xira

Ice tea €1.20
Limonad €1.50
Hostel €15
Snacks & breakfast €4.45
Dinner €10 (7.30 + drinks)

Day 2 Vilafranca deXira-Porto de Muge
Tonic water €1
Ice tea €1
Ice cream+water €2.23
Coke + Snacks €3
Quinta €30

Day 3 Porto de Muge-Golegã
Lunch €7.5
Ice tea €1
Coke + Ice tea €2.25
Pear juice €1
Dinner €10
Hotel €70

Day 4 Golegã-Tomar
Ice tea €1
Yoghurt +peanuts+Ice tea €2.25
7up €0.9
Dinner+chips €3.30
Hostel €15

Day 5 Tomar-Alvaiázere
Ice cream €1
Water+banana+butter+soda+snacks €4.30
Lunch €2.50
Albergue €15

Day 6 Alvaiázere-Condeixa-a-nova
Hygiene Pads+rice cookies+peach €4.22
Tea+7up €1.75
Ice tea+Snacks 2.15
Coke+Ice cream €2.50
Lunch+water €3.25
Water+Snacks € 2.15
Hotel €103
Dinner+Ice tea €15.10

Day 7 Condeixa-a-nova - Mealhada
Icetea €1
Lunch €8
Icecream €1
Icetea €1
Albergue €15
Dinner €18

Day 8 Mealhada - Albergaria-a-Velha
Tea+cola €1.60
Lunch €7.50
Icecream €1
Cola €0.90
Albergue €8
Dinner+brekfast €7.49

Day 9 Albergaria-a-Velha - São João da Madeira
Lunch € 5
Hotel € 22,50
Dinner €25
Museum €1.50

Day 10 São João da Madeira - Porto
Icecream €1
Breakfast+water € €6.50
Hotel €30
Lunch €8
Funicular €2.50
Dinner €10.30

Day 11 Porto - São Pedro de Rates
Icecream €1
Icetea €0.90
Dinner + Snacks €6.40
Albergue €5

Day 12 São Pedro de Rates - Ponte de Lima
Icecream € 1
Icetea € 1
Lunch € 6
Icecream+tea 3.70
Breakfast € 3.10
Dinner € 25

Day 13 Ponte de Lima - Valença
Icetea € 1
Lunch+tea € 5.40
Albergue € 5
Dinner+Breakfast € 13.38

Day 14 Valença - Cesantes
Fruit €1
Aquarius+Icecream €2.30
Albergue € 13
Soda €1
Dinner €10

Day 15 Casantes - Caldas de Rey
Fruit €1
Aquarius €1.30
Aquarius €1.30
Breakfast+Snacks €13
Dinner+Icecream €12
Albergue € 10

Day 16 Caldas de Rey - Santiago de Compostela
Fruit € 0.26
Lunch € 7
Icetea €1
Ice cream € 1
Aquarius € 1.50
Coke € 1.2
Hotel € 80
Dinner € 35

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am planning my CP as we speak, and debating a start from Porto or Santiago. I can handle longer days, so this might just inspire me to start in Lisbon :)
Lisboa-Porto isn't the most beautiful part but I had some great days there as well. I have a blog in Swedish (https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://beastankar.blogspot.se/2015/07/dag-206-camino2015-dag-1-lissabon.html&edit-text=&act=url this is day one so just hit newer posts in the bottom for the next) but it translates via Google translate so it is more or less understandable. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to add the photos yet but they can be found here: Mobile photos https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMjdrNix2hJ74yHv4SN1mSYCpctHIpzLnVXYg8 camera photos: <to be uploaded there has been some f*uck up with the gallery so all pics are gone> and with the date stamp on the photos you can see which ones are taken between Lisboa and Porto where there is no geopositions (most pics has that).

Last edited:
Lisbo-Porto isn't the most beautiful part but I had some great days there as well. I have a blog in Swedish (https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://beastankar.blogspot.se/2015/07/dag-206-camino2015-dag-1-lissabon.html&edit-text=&act=url this is day one so just hit newer posts in the bottom for the next) but it translates via Google translate so it is more or less understandable. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to add the photos yet but they can be found here: Mobile photos https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMjdrNix2hJ74yHv4SN1mSYCpctHIpzLnVXYg8 camera photos: <to be uploaded there has been some f*uck up with the gallery so all pics are gone> and with the date stamp on the photos you can see which ones are taken between Lisboa and Porto where there is no geopositions (most pics has that).
I'll take a look at your blog. I live in Sweden nowadays, so I'll try and read it before I translate :)

I'll take a look at your blog. I live in Sweden nowadays, so I'll try and read it before I translate :)
Aha Good luck! One day the pics will be added as well. Found the pictures on my hard drive so now I just have to add them to the online gallery when the kids aren't playing online games.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
... One day the pics will be added as well. Found the pictures on my hard drive so now I just have to add them to the online gallery when the kids aren't playing online games.

Get the kids off YOUR computer and assert yourself as bad alpha mommy ;-) Looking forward to your pictures, SY

Get the kids off YOUR computer and assert yourself as bad alpha mommy ;-) Looking forward to your pictures, SY
I have my own computer but 3 people (the kids and their father) playing online games here and they do not like it when I hog all of the network for picture upload. In the meanwhile you have all my mobile pics at https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMjdrNix2hJ74yHv4SN1mSYCpctHIpzLnVXYg8 but they are a mess as they are both original pics and Instagram versions of the same pics. The Instagram account has them all with captions found here https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/beascamino2015/ scroll back 601 pics to the start.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Stunning pictures! Love especially the one with all the umbrellas!
Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back