A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

My stages on the Camino Primitivo (8 days)

Camino Badges

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Finished: See post signature.
Upcoming: Nothing planned
(Started with Camino de San Salvador first, see http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-stages-on-camino-de-san-salvador-3-days.28548/)

(The distances are from my GPS-watch the guides might say something different)

Day 1, Oviedo-Cornellana 40,61 km (took the shortcut in to the albergue in the monastery in Cornellana)

Day 2, Cornellana-Campiello 44,63 km, stayed in a private room at Casa Herminia

Day 3, Campiello-La Mesa 32,09 km
Hospitales route, (a short day ;-) ) stayed at the muncipal albergue, not the best on the camino but at least a bed.

Day 4, La Mesa-A Fonsagrada, 41,76 km, stayed at albergue Cantábrico (Recommended)

Day 5, A Fonsagrada-Castroverde, 33,68 km (a short day again ;-) ), stayed at Xunta albergue

Day 6, Castroverde-San Román da Retorta 41,79 km
stayed at albergue Ócandido

Day 7, San Román da Retorta-Arzúa 44,26 km
stayed at Pension Meson do Peregrino

Day 8, Arzua-Santiago de Compostela, 39,01 km
stayed in Albergue Seminario Menor for 4 nights (no power outlets in the room :-( )

Last edited:

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(10,11,17), Vasco(12), Salvador(13), CP(13), CN(14), Madrid (16), Mozarabe (18), VdlP(19)
Beatrice:

I am amused by your description of short days of 32-3 km's. That is a normal day for me. How many hours do you walk daily?

Ultreya,
Joe

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Beatrice:

I am amused by your description of short days of 32-3 km's. That is a normal day for me. How many hours do you walk daily?

Ultreya,
Joe
This is the times for each day and the time I started.

Day 1 09:32 h start 07:43
Day 2 10:52 h start 07:04
Day 3 07:20 h start 06:51
Day 4 08:50 h start 07:00
Day 5 06:25 h start 07:12
Day 6 08:09 h start 06:50
Day 7 09:25 h start 07:15
Day 8 07:12 h start 07:29

anniethenurse

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances.Vasco del Interior.Camino Finisterre& Muxia. Camino Portugues. Ruta del Ebro.
Hola Bea congrats again.
See you next year:)

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(10,11,17), Vasco(12), Salvador(13), CP(13), CN(14), Madrid (16), Mozarabe (18), VdlP(19)
This is the times for each day and the time I started.

Day 1 09:32 h start 07:43
Day 2 10:52 h start 07:04
Day 3 07:20 h start 06:51
Day 4 08:50 h start 07:00
Day 5 06:25 h start 07:12
Day 6 08:09 h start 06:50
Day 7 09:25 h start 07:15
Day 8 07:12 h start 07:29
Beatrice:

Those are long days. I normally do not walk past 4:00 to 5:00pm. I can see how you are walking 40km days. Good luck on your future walks.

Ultreya,
Joe

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Beatrice:

Those are long days. I normally do not walk past 4:00 to 5:00pm. I can see how you are walking 40km days. Good luck on your future walks.

Ultreya,
Joe
I ended between 4 and 5 most of the days. I could have walked faster if I hadn't stop for photographing, visiting churches etc. I love to walk so for me a long day is better then being at the albergue by noon and then being restless for the rest of the day or worse queueing to get in. I usually stopped for lunch between 30 and 60 minutes when most people were done for the day (or no lunch stop at all some days as I could not find anything else than sandwiches).

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2013), Primitivo (2015), Muxia/Fisterra (2015), Haervejen (2017)
Beatrice -- All I can say is that you are one "walkin' machine"! Our ideal distance on the Frances was about 25 k and we thought the single 32k day we did was a killer!!!!

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Wow! This was the very route I was wondering if t was possible and here it is! You did it! Incredible!!
It is a lovely Camino and doable in 8 days if you can do long days. The three previous days on Salvador was much tougher than this Camino.

There is another post about doing it in 8 days. 2 men much older than me who did it. That thread incurage me to walk it even if I didn't have much time.

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Hi Beatrice

what was tougher on the Salvador please?
Salvadore is hilly, steep up sometimes and small paths on the edge of cliffs. It was lovely but more challenging. I'm used to hike in the mountains so it was more like that on some stretches. But it is a LOVELY walk and I had a great time.

LTfit

Veteran Member
9 days from Oviedo to Santiago is definately possible. I arrived in Santiago Saturday morning and am back home since yesterday.

All the stages were quite doable and not that long (if you have some km under your belt and experience) except for the crazy day that I walked from Samblismo (1 km after Borres) via the Hospitales route down to Berducedo for coffee and on to Grandas de Salime. Although it was 43 km which I am used to, the elevation changes were extensive. It was only about 12.00 reaching Berducedo so that is why I went on. I left Samblismo at 7:30 with another pilgrim to do the Hospitales route but the weather was great and made it up and down fairly fast. I didn't see anyone else until I reached Grandas.

Here are my stages if interested :

1) Oviedo-Grado 25,2 km
(wanted to stay here as have hospitalera friends who have volunteered here)

2) Grado - La Espina 30,3 km (Bodenaya 1 km before was closed for the day)

2) La Espina - Samblismo 30,2 km

3) Samblismo (via Hospitales) - Berducedo - Grandes de Salime 43,5 km

4) Grandes - A Fonsegrada 25,2

5) A Fonsegrada - Castroverde 32 km

6) Castroverde - Lugo 21,7
(short day to visit)

7) Lugo - Ponte Ferreira 27 km
(wanted to stay with my Dutch friends and Forum members Ria and Ton that run Albergue Ponte Ferreira)

8) Ponte Ferreira - Arzúa 34,1 km

9) Arzúa - Santiago 38,7 km

Km amounts are according to Gronze.

The Primitivo is,after walking about 12 different routes my favorite!

mazzarina

Camino(s) past & future
past: Frances, St Jean Pied de Port-Burgos
future: Primitivo
Hi, many thanks Beatrice for your stages! I found your post a huge help, as someone with limited time available but wanting to do the whole thing.
Three solo walkers (me, Ian from Liverpool, and Norm from Australia) ended up walking the Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago together in 8 days, 3-10 June 2019. We followed the same stages as Beatrice. Our GPS measurements came in at 1-2km shorter per day, but that's how these things always work. We had a glorious time, even with Storm Miguel hitting us on Days 4 and 5 and providing us with plenty of wind, sideways hail and rain!
A couple of notes to add what's been said: days 5-8 obviously have much less gradient etc than days 1-4, so if you want to complete in a short time and do big stages, bear in mind that it gets easier. Like Beatrice, we did the Hospitales route and stopped at La Mesa, though in the private albergue. If we were walking it again, we'd probably have made Day 5 a bit longer and stayed at the gorgeous albergue at Vilar de Cas, 2.5km after Castroverde, (it's called A Pocina de Muniz and opened just last year).
Next year, my son (now 10) wants to walk some of the Primitivo with me, so I'll be doing rather shorter stages than 40K!

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Hi, many thanks Beatrice for your stages! I found your post a huge help, as someone with limited time available but wanting to do the whole thing.
Three solo walkers (me, Ian from Liverpool, and Norm from Australia) ended up walking the Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago together in 8 days, 3-10 June 2019. We followed the same stages as Beatrice. Our GPS measurements came in at 1-2km shorter per day, but that's how these things always work. We had a glorious time, even with Storm Miguel hitting us on Days 4 and 5 and providing us with plenty of wind, sideways hail and rain!
A couple of notes to add what's been said: days 5-8 obviously have much less gradient etc than days 1-4, so if you want to complete in a short time and do big stages, bear in mind that it gets easier. Like Beatrice, we did the Hospitales route and stopped at La Mesa, though in the private albergue. If we were walking it again, we'd probably have made Day 5 a bit longer and stayed at the gorgeous albergue at Vilar de Cas, 2.5km after Castroverde, (it's called A Pocina de Muniz and opened just last year).
Next year, my son (now 10) wants to walk some of the Primitivo with me, so I'll be doing rather shorter stages than 40K!
Nice to hear that it was of use. Curious what did you use as a GPS?
And if you do San Salvador before Primitivo even day 1-4 is easier that the start :)

mazzarina

Camino(s) past & future
past: Frances, St Jean Pied de Port-Burgos
future: Primitivo
Thanks for your reply! :) I didn't use a GPS but my friends both used watches. One of them was a Garmin, but I don't know what the other brand was. From experience, variations across types are typical, and they tended to pause them during our breaks which might have made a difference.
I'd love to do San Salvador one year as a warm-up!

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Thanks for your reply! :) I didn't use a GPS but my friends both used watches. One of them was a Garmin, but I don't know what the other brand was. From experience, variations across types are typical, and they tended to pause them during our breaks which might have made a difference.
I'd love to do San Salvador one year as a warm-up!
Oki. Had a Garmin my self. I tend to run around a bit with the camera and measured albergue to albergue. No stopping during the day normally so my lunch breaks can be some distance when the gps goes banans. It can be good for others to know.

If I hadn't walked San Salvador already I might have done a combination with Camino Madrid first.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 3.9%
  • April

Votes: 159 15.3%
  • May

Votes: 259 24.9%