A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Buy any book, get free camino shell

My stages on the Mozárabe from Almería -- April 2018

A forum member asked about my stages, prodding me into action! I was one of the forum mob that started in Almería in April. I wound up not walking with many of the mob, so I hope some of them will post stages as well. Since some are still out walking, those lucky dogs, we should wait till everyone is back on the forum so we can have some general discussion and opinion-sharing. I am one who thinks this is a great camino. The infrastructure is fabulous, especially from Almería to Granada, getting to visit Almería, Córdoba, and Granada was wonderful, and the springtime flowers, snow in the mountains, and greenery everywhere were just spectacular. I also posted live from the camino, at least from Granada until I got to the Vdlp in Mérida. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/no-mob—just-me-—-on-the-mozárabe.54735/ And a link to my findpenguins blog should be below in my signature.

Happy to answer questions! Buen camino, Laurie

Day 1 -- Almería to Rioja (15 km). I took a bus back to Almería that afternoon to be able to attend the group gathering with association angels that night. But there is an albergue there.

Day2 -- Rioja to Alboloduy (23 km). Strong walkers could combine days 1 and 2 but this day's walk had some tough descents and a fair amount of elevation gain.

Day 3 -- Alboloduy to Abla (27 km). Good albergue

Day 4 -- Abla to La Calahorra (35 km). Very nice small hotel, about 20-25 euros.

Day 5 -- La Calahorra to Guadix (32 km). Albergues

Day 6 -- Guadix to La Peza (22 km). good albergue

Day 7 -- La Peza to Quentar (30 km). albergue and hotels

Day 8 -- Quentar to Granada (20 km). convent and hotels

Day 9 -- Granada to Moclín (35 km). albergues and casa rural

Day 10 -- Moclín to Alcalá la Real (23 km). hotel

Day 11 -- Alcalá la Real to Alcaudete (23 km) hotel

Day 12 -- Alcaudete to Baena (24 km) albergue and hotel

Day 13 -- Baena to Santa Cruz (43 km) hostal.

Day 14 -- Santa Cruz to Córdoba (26 km). youth hostels and tons of hotels, etc.

Day 15 -- Córdoba to Villaharta (39 km). bar has rooms

Day 16 -- Villaharta to Alcaracejos (36 km). hostal

Day 17 -- Alcaracejos to Hinojosa del Duque (21 km). albergue and hostal

Day 18 -- Hinojosa del Duque to Monterrubio de la Serena (33 km). hotel

Day 19 -- Monterrubio to Campanario (40 km). pension and albergue

Day 20 -- Campanario to Medellín (37 km). hostal

Day 21 -- Medellín to Mérida (40 km). albergue and hotels

Day 22 -- Mérida to Aljucén (16 km). albergues

Day 23 -- Aljucén via Santa Lucía del Trampal to Alcuéscar and finally Aldea del Cano. (42 km) Albergue

Day 24 -- Aldea del Cano to Cáceres (23 km). albergue and hotels

Day 25 -- Cáceres to Embalse de Alcántara (33 km). albergue

Day 26 -- Embalse to Grimaldo (21 km). albergue and casa rural

Day 27 -- Grimaldo to Carcaboso (31 km) albergue and hotel

Day 28 -- Carcaboso to Aldeanueva (39 km). albergue and hotels

Day 29 -- Aldeanueva to Calzada Béjar (22 km). albergue and casas rurales

Day 30 -- Calzada Béjar to Fuenterroble (20 km). albergue

Day 31 -- Fuenterroble to San Pedro (29 km). albergues and pension

Day 32 -- San Pedro to Salamanca (23 km). albergue and hotels.

Camino(s) past & future
'Portuguese,Frances,Norte,Salvador/primitivo,Le puy, Inglés, CDM, Invierno, Fin/Mux, VDLP spring19
Hi Laurie
I did hit ‘like’, but more in terms of ‘wow’.
It must have been a fantastic experience but includes some huge stages. You certainly don’t go muck about. .
Buen Camino
Annie

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
I am attaching a PDF file that I took with me on the Mozarabe in April. I didn't walk exactly what it outlines - for example I jumped ahead by bus from Medellin to Merida at the end. However, the table shows most of the towns along the route that you'd want to know about, to decide on your stages. As you can see, only 2 days required more than 30 km. The population numbers are shown beside each town's name as that gives an idea of the services that are likely to be available.

The guide published by the Association at this link, or their Facebook page, provides very up-to-date information on accommodation, and the route is very well marked.

I found the first week of the Mozarabe to be particularly tough, partly because I was slow to get into the Camino rhythm for various reasons. Those days of walking on dry rocky river bed into a head wind, were relentless and I don't think I would choose to repeat them! Other elements of the route were fascinating and I'm really glad I experienced this part of Spain.

As @peregrina2000 said, maybe we'll get into a more thorough discussion as others get back onto the forum.

If anyone wants the Excel file behind the PDF attachment, send me a PM.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Far too many...
Thanks for info, C & Laurie,

I will start the Mozárabe around the 21 of June, so it's rapidly approaching.......... Do you think I will be totally alone (as always in summer...) ??

The length of Laurie's stages are what I usually walk as well... But the one with 43 kms, is there no way to stop half way...?

Byyyye

BP

NTange

Camino(s) past & future
El Camino de Santiago
A forum member asked about my stages, prodding me into action! I was one of the forum mob that started in Almería in April. I wound up not walking with many of the mob, so I hope some of them will post stages as well. Since some are still out walking, those lucky dogs, we should wait till everyone is back on the forum so we can have some general discussion and opinion-sharing. I am one who thinks this is a great camino. The infrastructure is fabulous, especially from Almería to Granada, getting to visit Almería, Córdoba, and Granada was wonderful, and the springtime flowers, snow in the mountains, and greenery everywhere were just spectacular. I also posted live from the camino, at least from Granada until I got to the Vdlp in Mérida. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/no-mob—just-me-—-on-the-mozárabe.54735/ And a link to my findpenguins blog should be below in my signature.

Day 1 -- Almería to Rioja (15 km). I took a bus back to Almería that afternoon to be able to attend the group gathering with association angels that night. But there is an albergue there.

Day2 -- Rioja to Alboloduy (23 km). Strong walkers could combine days 1 and 2 but this day's walk had some tough descents and a fair amount of elevation gain.

Day 4 -- Abla to La Calahorra (35 km). Very nice small hotel, about 20-25 euros.

Day 23 -- Aljucén via Santa Lucía del Trampal to Alcuéscar and finally Aldea del Cano. (42 km) Albergue

Thank you for this. I have totally just stumbled upon this Camino. I was checking out the info on Camino Portgues, hoping to walk May 2019 when I came across your posts. Hubby and I did Camino Frances April 2018. I only have a month including travel time from Australia so as we don't like to rush, maybe Mozarabe
is a better option. Is it the same as Frances with waymarkers, albergues etc? It would also give us another opportunity to use our Spanish (the little we have)!!!!

Paul J W

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2002/3 and 2004/5)
Camino Ingles. (2008)
Camino Portuguese. (2009)
Camino del Norte (2008 and 2014)
Ruta de la Plata (2004)
Camino Primitivo. (2015)
Camino Mozarabe (2007)
"Tunnel" route (2016)
Camino del Salvador (projected: 2017)

Hello Laurie,
Just picked up on this post and found it very interesting and potentially helpful.
My plan is to walk Almería - Granada in March 2019. (I have completed Granada - CdeS and, with other completed routes, consider myself reasonably well experienced in walking in Spain. This year in March I walked Malaga - Baena.)
Proposal is to complete in 9 days. (I have 10 available but allow additional day should circumstances require.)
Any observations/recommendations from you - and/or others would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Paul

Hi, Paul,
I think that 9 days is plenty. You can see I took 8 days and one was very short. And no huge days either. But what’s not to like about having an available rest day to enjoy Granada?!

I assume you have seen the online guide written by the Almería amigos. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dMVIXVunE82lC-ON8x5o3ycAwL10g-TI/view. Updated every month,so check back before you go!

If you have the full day to walk on Day 1, it is really quite do-able to continue on. There is an albergue in Santa Fe de Mondujar, about 8-9 km beyond Rioja.

I’m sure you’ve seen many comments and threads from our little Mob that started in Almería in April. But if you have specific questions, ask away. Mid-April was an absolutely phenomenal time to start. You say you are going in March – if you had done that this year, you would have walked in almost continuous rain. Fingers crossed that next March will be better. Buen Camino, Laurie

Paul J W

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2002/3 and 2004/5)
Camino Ingles. (2008)
Camino Portuguese. (2009)
Camino del Norte (2008 and 2014)
Ruta de la Plata (2004)
Camino Primitivo. (2015)
Camino Mozarabe (2007)
"Tunnel" route (2016)
Camino del Salvador (projected: 2017)
Hi, Paul,
I think that 9 days is plenty. You can see I took 8 days and one was very short. And no huge days either. But what’s not to like about having an available rest day to enjoy Granada?!

I assume you have seen the online guide written by the Almería amigos. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dMVIXVunE82lC-ON8x5o3ycAwL10g-TI/view. Updated every month,so check back before you go!

If you have the full day to walk on Day 1, it is really quite do-able to continue on. There is an albergue in Santa Fe de Mondujar, about 8-9 km beyond Rioja.

I’m sure you’ve seen many comments and threads from our little Mob that started in Almería in April. But if you have specific questions, ask away. Mid-April was an absolutely phenomenal time to start. You say you are going in March – if you had done that this year, you would have walked in almost continuous rain. Fingers crossed that next March will be better. Buen Camino, Laurie
Thanks Laurie for this v speedy response. Much appreciated. Will certainly follow Almería amigos’ webpage.
Yes indeed, it was very wet this March with some sections which had to be by-passed, sadly resorting to roads.
Will continue research!
Thanks again.
Paul

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.6%
  • May

Votes: 188 24.5%