• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My story of preparing for el Camino despite chronic pain

Nick Meador

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting the Camino del Norte from Bilbao on Sept 4, 2015
Hi everyone,

I'll be traveling from Detroit, Michigan, USA, to Bilbao at the start of September 2015 to walk the Camino del Norte. I've been training for the pilgrimage in spite of living with chronic pain and fatigue for the past four years.

I wrote a story about my journey to overcome the limitations of this health condition, which the esteemed web magazine Elephant Journal just published.

The article is called "Walking my Way through Pain: Preparing for a Spiritual Pilgrimage." I thought some of you might be interested in reading and sharing with your networks. And I would appreciate any moral support you can offer. :) <3

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2015...gh-pain-preparing-for-a-spiritual-pilgrimage/

Warmly,
Nick

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you Nick for your first post in this forum. Guess what, the first reply will be my very first post in this forum. Thank you for the link to your inspirational article. I hope to see you some day walking El Camino. About me, I plan to walk my first camino in 2016 (Via de la Plata) and as of now I am looking at two potential starting points, one connecting to El Camino del Sur in Huelva and the second one connecting to La Via Augusta in Cadiz (both connecting to Via de la Plata). Again, thanks for the link, good luck and Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you.

Thanks Kanga for "The Welcome Aboard" -- I joined today, but I have read a lot of good information in this forum for months.

Muchas Gracias y Buen Camino.

Welcome Sailor and Buen Camino!

Thanks.

Thanks for the welcome aboard, Caballero Mike, and say hello to all my good friends in the best looking state of Utah.

Muchas Gracias y Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Nick,

Norte? Are you sure? The pilgrim infrastructure is not what it is on the Frances. And the Frances can be difficult enough, even for people who do not suffer from chronic fatigue. It would give you more options to do shorter days. If you choose el Norte you will enjoy great food, on the CF more camaraderie. Either way, I wish you the best of luck, it will be a memorable experience, and perhaps adictive ;0)

Hi everyone,

I'll be traveling from Detroit, Michigan, USA, to Bilbao at the start of September 2015 to walk the Camino del Norte. I've been training for the pilgrimage in spite of living with chronic pain and fatigue for the past four years.

I wrote a story about my journey to overcome the limitations of this health condition, which the esteemed web magazine Elephant Journal just published.

The article is called "Walking my Way through Pain: Preparing for a Spiritual Pilgrimage." I thought some of you might be interested in reading and sharing with your networks. And I would appreciate any moral support you can offer. :) <3

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2015...gh-pain-preparing-for-a-spiritual-pilgrimage/

Warmly,
Nick

Hi Paul, I am starting Camino In Saint Jean on Sept. 5th. I live in Eureka also.

Welcome Nick and Buen Camino!

Hi everyone,

Warmly,
Nick

Hi, Nick, Welcome to the forum! I think the Camino is a wonderful place for you to test your limits without putting your health at risk, because you are never too far from "civilization" and help if you need it. Plus, you will be walking with people who are generally supportive and caring. I walked the Norte about 10 years ago, so I'm sure that there are more accommodations now than there were then, but we had to do some careful planning to make sure we always landed in a place where we could sleep. But I assume you've checked this out and know what awaits you. Wishing you a wonderful camino -- and know that there are lots of people here on the forum who are happy to answer questions, give opinions, and just generally be your cheerleaders! Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Nick, sounds like you have some intense experiences coming up in Spain on the camino and in your conference in Barcelona. What an exciting time for you. I have to admire how you're developing your coping skills and even sharing those skills with others. I hope to hear more about your journey on this forum. Buen Camino! Ultreya!

Welcome.... I am intrigued by your venture, and your thoughts about preparation BUT I am unable to open the link...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have successfully walked several Caminos since 2011 after I found I had peripheral neuropathy. As far as I'm concerned it is one of those curious and frankly BS diagnoses doctor's opine to their patients like CFS.
For me the pain in my right leg and foot is unbearable at times, it feels like 220v shocks along with ants eating away at my flesh but I find the longer and farther I walk the pain subsides to some extent.
That being said I also have pernicious anemia requiring me to inject 1cc of cyanocobalamin once a month and I suffer from a genetic blood disorder called hereditary hemochromatosis which requires regular phlebotomies to reduce the level of iron in my body.
Sadly there is no holistic programs for me.

Last edited:
Welcome.... I am intrigued by your venture, and your thoughts about preparation BUT I am unable to open the link...

Hi, that's strange. Both links work for me. You could also search on Google for "Walking my Way through Pain Elephant Journal." I'm sure that would turn it up. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you Nick for your first post in this forum. Guess what, the first reply will be my very first post in this forum. Thank you for the link to your inspirational article. I hope to see you some day walking El Camino. About me, I plan to walk my first camino in 2016 (Via de la Plata) and as of now I am looking at two potential starting points, one connecting to El Camino del Sur in Huelva and the second one connecting to La Via Augusta in Cadiz (both connecting to Via de la Plata). Again, thanks for the link, good luck and Buen Camino.

Good luck with your future Camino! I hadn't heard of those routes yet. :)

Hello Nick,

Norte? Are you sure? The pilgrim infrastructure is not what it is on the Frances. And the Frances can be difficult enough, even for people who do not suffer from chronic fatigue. It would give you more options to do shorter days. If you choose el Norte you will enjoy great food, on the CF more camaraderie. Either way, I wish you the best of luck, it will be a memorable experience, and perhaps adictive ;0)

Hi @Anemone del Camino, thanks for your concern. Some of those factors did enter into my decision process.

I have carefully researched and planned so I think I should be able to walk between 7-12 miles per day on the Norte and safely make it to an albergue (or similar lodging) each night. Maybe I'll be able to go longer. I'll see when I get there.

There's some kind of mystical feeling calling me to the Norte. And on a practical level, I actually like the idea of having a bit more space to myself, less crowded albergues, greener/wetter scenery, etc. :)

I might end up switching to the Frances in the later part if the weather doesn't hold up on the Norte in later October. I'm attending a seminar in Barcelona in early October, so I'm splitting the Camino in two parts. I'm planning Bilbao to Aviles from about Sept 4-28, then Aviles to Santiago>Finisterre from Oct 15-Nov 9. I've heard things can get a bit wetter on the Norte later in the fall, but I welcome advice about that.

Last edited:
Hi, Nick, Welcome to the forum! I think the Camino is a wonderful place for you to test your limits without putting your health at risk, because you are never too far from "civilization" and help if you need it. Plus, you will be walking with people who are generally supportive and caring. I walked the Norte about 10 years ago, so I'm sure that there are more accommodations now than there were then, but we had to do some careful planning to make sure we always landed in a place where we could sleep. But I assume you've checked this out and know what awaits you. Wishing you a wonderful camino -- and know that there are lots of people here on the forum who are happy to answer questions, give opinions, and just generally be your cheerleaders! Buen camino, Laurie

Yes, @peregrina2000, I've read Perazzoli and Whitson's "The Northern Caminos" and I have a decent idea of what to expect.

On the other hand, I have no idea what I'm getting myself into and I'm terrified! :) haha

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have successfully walked several Caminos since 2011 after I found I had peripheral neuropathy. As far as I'm concerned it is one of those curious and frankly BS diagnoses doctor's opine to their patients like CFS.
For me the pain in my right leg and foot is unbearable at times, it feels like 220v shocks along with ants eating away at my flesh but I find the longer and farther I walk the pain subsides to some extent.
That being said I also have pernicious anemia requiring me to inject 1cc of cyanocobalamin once a month and I suffer from a genetic blood disorder called hereditary hemochromatosis which requires regular phlebotomies to reduce the level of iron in my body.
Sadly there is no holistic programs for me.

@biarritzdon, thanks so much for sharing about your own experience. That's inspiring to hear that you've walked multiple Caminos despite those health issues. I too feel like things get better when I walk a long way. And somehow carrying weight adds to that. Our bodies are strange machines...

A very warm welcome to this wonderful forum Nick and many thanks for the link to your extremely inspiring story. Wishing you all good luck and safe travels for your upcoming Camino.
I walked the Camino Frances in 2013 with complications due to quite severe degenerative arthritis throughout my spinal colum, but, I found that whilst I was walking this Camino, I had very little pain in my back at all which constantly amazed me because I live and have done so for quite a number of years, with chronic pain each day. Hopefully this may be the same for you. I think, for me, the fact that I was out in the open, free of daily constraints, carrying only what I needed etc. was what helped. My mind was also focused on different things and I tended to ignore my physical limitations because there was nothing I could do about them......Camino endorphins and Camino Angels were really on my side.....smiles.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good for you, the thing I loved about the Camino del norte, is, (if you have the time), you can walk it in as many or as little stages as you please :). Despite having your chronic pain and fatigue, I think on the camino you will not be alone in your struggles, as everyone will be in a constant pain and fatigue! I met an older scottsman about two weeks into our journey, in our conversation I learned it took him 6 weeks to do what we had done in 2! He walked with a slow shuffle, and I noticed he was a bit shaky, but hey who cares he was doing it and loving it. Listen to your body, take it slow, and enjoy every minute because it will be over before you know it.

Go for it Nick! I had fibromyalgia that plagued me for 22 years and after 20 years of dreaming about doing the Camino - with my supportive husband, and on a bicycle, I did it! Despite some horrendous pain/fatigue/tears/tantrums, I felt better on pilgrimage, living mostly outdoors than I ever did before. I think it is a combo of outdoor living, more vit D and a total lack of stress from the usual channels (work/finances/family/society) Ok there is the worry of will I make it to the albergue? or find a place to camp/find an open shop? Will I wake up in as much pain as I went to bed with.... But - it works, it really does!
I have since found a total cure for the fibro - by reading Dr Sarno's books and using the (great and free!) TMSwiki website.... I would urge anyone with a chronic condition to investigate for themselves.
But anyone can do a pilgrimage - just choose the route and travel at your own pace.
Have a wonderful Camino Nick.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back