• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Top 5 camino books

mark stevens

Time of past OR future Camino
back on the Frances in May 2022
I’ve read and posted about my Top 5 books about the Camino to Santiago and even featured in a blog from one of the authors Bradley Chermside who runs the Camino de Santiago Pilgrims Podcast. Have a listen.

Here’s the Top 5 link

I’m also reading and reviewing an old Camino book , written in 1987, called a Hug for the Apostle. The differences to the Camino then and now are staggering.

I’m back on the Camino Frances in 35 days. Cannot wait

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
mark stevens,

To experience the difference 100 years makes read some of the early 20th c descriptions by Georgina Goddard King and published c1920. Begin to research her and her Spanish journeys in this earlier Forum thread.

The times indeed have changed!!

Carpe diem.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’ve read and posted about my Top 5 books about the Camino to Santiago and even featured in a blog from one of the authors Bradley Chermside who runs the Camino de Santiago Pilgrims Podcast. Have a listen.

Here’s the Top 5 link

I’m also reading and reviewing an old Camino book , written in 1987, called a Hug for the Apostle. The differences to the Camino then and now are staggering.

Have you read A Pilgrimage to Eternity by Timothy Egan? It's about the Via Francigena, so not a Camino de Santiago book, but a wonderful book nonetheless.

Have you read A Pilgrimage to Eternity by Timothy Egan? It's about the Via Francigena, so not a Camino de Santiago book, but a wonderful book nonetheless.
The VF isn’t on my bucket list for 2024. Have read and watch loads of programmes about it and really cannot wait to walk it.

Here’s the Top 5 link

There are so many books about the camino. There is something for everyone. One that has deeply touched me that is not one usually mentioned is "Roads to Santiago" by the Dutch author Cees Nooteboom. This is a love story to the camino with the following sentence that opened the book one that pulled me in, touching me profoundly : "It is impossible to prove and yet I believe it: there are some places in the world where one is mysteriously magnified on arrival or departure by the emotions of all those who have arrived and departed before." He captured so well what we feel when we are taking our first step and (always regrettably) our last. It is a swirl of emotions that no doubt is shared with millions of others who walked over the centuries.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are so many books about the camino. There is something for everyone. One that has deeply touched me that is not one usually mentioned is "Roads to Santiago" by the Dutch author Cees Nooteboom. This is a love story to the camino with the following sentence that opened the book one that pulled me in, touching me profoundly : "It is impossible to prove and yet I believe it: there are some places in the world where one is mysteriously magnified on arrival or departure by the emotions of all those who have arrived and departed before." He captured so well what we feel when we are taking our first step and (always regrettably) our last. It is a swirl of emotions that no doubt is shared with millions of others who walked over the centuries.
My favorite is A Pilgrim Snail. Written many years ago by a youg english lad who walked from his home in morthern england to Santiago carrying a slide trombone. He bussked outside churchs to raise funds for cystic fibrosis from which his girlfriend had died from. Took him 9 months to walk and he climbed Pyrenees from Med coast thru to SJPDP. In middle of winter. Have forgotten his name unfortunately.

Google tells us - Ben NIMMO (2001) - seemingly available on Amazon (and doubtless elsewhere as well)
Buen camino
Stephen

On a lighter note, Ive just bought and read 'Two Steps Forward' three times in 3 days, lent it to 2 friends who both read it cover to cover in a day each.
Its a novel, a loose love story, based on their Camino experiences walking from Cluny in France to Santiago and then following the Norte route.
It is a 2017 novel by Australian husband and wife novelists Graeme Simsion and Anne Buist.

Ive read others which are more philosophical/spiritual, but sometimes nice light reading just fits the bill. Although it was based on their unfortunate personal experiences prior to walking the Camino - there are many parts where the writing mirrors the Camino experience so much - it covers the whole gamut of emotions and experiences.
I think its best read after you've walked a Camino.
I'm not normally a Camino book reader but I think after not being able to walk for 3 years I'm yearning to read about the Camino experience.
I also enjoyed "Don Thomas's' book and A Furnace Full of God by Rebekah Scott, both of which I also devoured in a day.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On a lighter note, Ive just bought and read 'Two Steps Forward' three times in 3 days, lent it to 2 friends who both read it cover to cover in a day each.
Its a novel, a loose love story, based on their Camino experiences walking from Cluny in France to Santiago and then following the Norte route.
It is a 2017 novel by Australian husband and wife novelists Graeme Simsion and Anne Buist.

Ive read others which are more philosophical/spiritual, but sometimes nice light reading just fits the bill. Although it was based on their unfortunate personal experiences prior to walking the Camino - there are many parts where the writing mirrors the Camino experience so much - it covers the whole gamut of emotions and experiences.
I think its best read after you've walked a Camino.
I'm not normally a Camino book reader but I think after not being able to walk for 3 years I'm yearning to read about the Camino experience.
I also enjoyed "Don Thomas's' book and A Furnace Full of God by Rebekah Scott, both of which I also devoured in a day.
Anamiri. I’ll check that out. I’m reviewing an older book from 87 called a Hug for the Apostle for my website and the differences back then to now are amazing.

I leave for the camino Frances in 4 weeks and this book has really got me excited and ready to go. Being back in that simple life with no worries is where my heart is at….😀

Last edited by a moderator:
My recommendation would be (and I never thought I would be uttering these words here)
Utterly Brilliant!: My Life's Journey by Timmy Mallet. those from the UK will know who the writer is and I was as shocked as you probably are knowing he cycled to Santiago from Winchester and they wrote the book about it and how he did it in memory of his brother who died just days before he left.
He is currently riding the coastline of the UK painting as he goes.

My recommendation would be (and I never thought I would be uttering these words here)
Utterly Brilliant!: My Life's Journey by Timmy Mallet. those from the UK will know who the writer is and I was as shocked as you probably are knowing he cycled to Santiago from Winchester and they wrote the book about it and how he did it in memory of his brother who died just days before he left.
He is currently riding the coastline of the UK painting as he goes.
Timmy mallet. Now there’s a name. I’ll have to look this one up. Thanks for the recommendation lardyb. Cheers mark

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’ve done multiple caminos before but only had 9 days this year so had to walk my favourite section of the Camino Frances between St Jean and Santa Domingo de la Calzada. It’s a fabulous section from France into Spain covering mountains and then the flat lands as the trail gets closer to Burgos.

I’ve detailed me recommendations on Albergues I’ve stayed in as well as other tips and recommendations along the way.

If you only have a short period of time you may want to consider these stages when walking the Camino Frances.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’ve done multiple caminos before but only had 9 days this year so had to walk my favourite section of the Camino Frances between St Jean and Santa Domingo de la Calzada. It’s a fabulous section from France into Spain covering mountains and then the fly lands as the trail gets closer to Burgos.

I’ve detailed me recommendations on Albergues I’ve stayed in as well as other tips and recommendations along the way.

If you only have a short period of time you may want to consider these stages when walking the Camino Frances.

Nearly right.
If we were in your company we might have convinced you to consider Logrono @ night , it's he place to really relax and watch locals and pilgrims in a large city , smaller than Pamplona .
We rate it above all and equal to 70% of San Sebastian.
Late at night , flying tomorrow , will continue the 9 day walk tomorrow.
You selected a wonderful place to stop.

Nearly right.
If we were in your company we might have convinced you to consider Logrono @ night , it's he place to really relax and watch locals and pilgrims in a large city , smaller than Pamplona .
We rate it above all and equal to 70% of San Sebastian.
Late at night , flying tomorrow , will continue the 9 day walk tomorrow.
You selected a wonderful place to stop.
I wanted to stay in Logrono as well. Next time I’ll stay there. Good recommendation for an albergue ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’ve done multiple caminos before but only had 9 days this year so had to walk my favourite section of the Camino Frances between St Jean and Santa Domingo de la Calzada. It’s a fabulous section from France into Spain covering mountains and then the flat lands as the trail gets closer to Burgos.

Thank you Mr. Stevens for this fantastic post. I'm treking Sept. 20th with a friend to Burgos... going much slower than you but I enjoyed this post immensely full of great specific information.

I wanted to stay in Logrono as well. Next time I’ll stay there. Good recommendation for an albergue ?
Albergues were 2008 to 12 , from then on HRH has demanded Posada plus and after 50yrs I've stopped arguing Mark.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you Mr. Stevens for this fantastic post. I'm treking Sept. 20th with a friend to Burgos... going much slower than you but I enjoyed this post immensely full of great specific information.
Thanks frannie 😀

Oh dear. So much for the austere pilgrim experience!
You make a good point if referring to the simplistic , but you could be incorrect if referring to the harsh experience.
Damage was done when we commenced our second GR65 in Le Puy and this time finished in Muxia.
We needed privacy after the quietness of France and wished to one would say partake in the late evening meals in the larger villages etc.
She never looked back Reb.

Thank you for your informative blog post, I enjoyed reading it. Very useful for those of us planning our first camino. Thanks!

€46,-
Thank you for your informative blog post, I enjoyed reading it. Very useful for those of us planning our first camino. Thanks!
Good stuff. We’re all pilgrims and love writing about it. If you have any questions about your trip let me know. Happy to help out. Mark

Enjoyed following your 9 day journey. Checked out some of your recommendations. Even more excited now for our Camino starting Sept 5th. 🥳

Enjoyed following your 9 day journey. Checked out some of your recommendations. Even more excited now for our Camino starting Sept 5th. 🥳
Thanks Yvonne. I love this section of the French way and would go all the way again but work gets in the way. Enjoy your trip and please ask any questions if needed. Buen camino. Mark

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My favorite is A Pilgrim Snail. Written many years ago by a youg english lad who walked from his home in morthern england to Santiago carrying a slide trombone. He bussked outside churchs to raise funds for cystic fibrosis from which his girlfriend had died from. Took him 9 months to walk and he climbed Pyrenees from Med coast thru to SJPDP. In middle of winter. Have forgotten his name unfortunately.
I’ll have a search for that book. I’m from northern England so sounds interesting

Here’s the Top 5 link

Update. I read a hug for the apostle and it’s an amazing book. The Camino has really changed since the last 70s, that for sure.

I also got back from my camino doing my favourite trip on the camino Frances.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to chirp in and say the Hug for the Apostle book really is quite good! I found two copies in our church's gift shop a few years ago, and aside from the comparisons between then and now, I really like the way the route is documented, esp. since the author started in France.

I wanted to chirp in and say the Hug for the Apostle book really is quite good! I found two copies in our church's gift shop a few years ago, and aside from the comparisons between then and now, I really like the way the route is documented, esp. since the author started in France.
Betty. I loved this book. Amazing to read about the changes from just a few years ago. Mark@ followtheyellowshell.com

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.