• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My turn for a LIVE thread - starting from Lisbon

Sorry Terri to read about it. Shall keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery and a happy return to your Camino.
Iván

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for posting. We are also careful. I am one of the only faculty still wearing a mask at my university and we've eaten out in a restaurant only a handful of times in the past few years.

We'll be making a plan for a possible Covid issue in case one or both of us gets sick on our trip. We have a hospitalero obligation in July so will be cautious to continue to wear our masks indoors and during our travels, eat outdoors, etc.

Hope your fatigue resolves and you are able to continue on your way soon.

Hi Trecile,
Be patient and maybe consider it as a camino into the camino ! ( well, not sure about that one…)
I wish you a quick recovery !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for sharing 'all' of your journey. As someone who is coming behind you in a couple weeks and keeping up with the news in Portugal, it's helpful to know how you are managing the external factors. I hope you are feeling better, and Buen Camino ~

Thanks for sharing 'all' of your journey. As someone who is coming behind you in a couple weeks and keeping up with the news in Portugal, it's helpful to know how you are managing the external factors. I hope you are feeling better, and Buen Camino ~
Thank you. With the exception of one day when I only wanted to sleep I never felt very sick.

Tomorrow I will take the train to Porto, and start walking again on Saturday.

Thank you. With the exception of one day when I only wanted to sleep I never felt very sick.

Tomorrow I will take the train to Porto, and start walking again on Saturday.
All the best @trecile Great to know you’ll soon be in your way again. if you haven’t been to Porto before - or even if you have - you’re in for a treat. Starting with the train station. Enjoy. 😎

PS. San Bento station, that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Take your wits with you if you are arriving at the Campanha Station. There are several ways to get to the center of town but they did their very best to make it confusing. It is definitely not as convenient as San Bento.

Take your wits with you if you are arriving at the Campanha Station. There are several ways to get to the center of town but they did their very best to make it confusing. It is definitely not as convenient as San Bento.
Thanks.
I can't even drop off my backpack at my accommodation until 2:00, which is close to the Central route, so I thought that I'd go to Se Cathedral then walk up the Camino until I get there.

I took the train to Porto yesterday to restart my Camino.

It was a hot day, and I definitely didn't feel like doing tourist things on the crowded streets, so what's a pilgrim to do? Find some yellow arrows of course!

20220528_142955.jpg

I went to the cathedral and started walking along the river. My goal was Foz do Douro to get a head start on today's short walk to Lavra, but it was so nice walking by the ocean that I just kept going until I was in Matosinhos!

Today I walked about 12 km from where I left off on my little jaunt yesterday in Matosinhos to Praia de Angeiras where I'm staying at a camping place. They have a special pilgrim rate - I'm staying in a "bungalow" for only 16€. There are common toilets and showers down the path. I hope that I don't have to go in the middle of the night!

20220528_143014.jpg
The walk today was beautiful on boardwalks by the sea. I passed by Capela da Boa Nova - a little chapel on a site where there has been a church since the 14th century.

20220528_142914.jpg

This campground is massive. There are dozens of these little bungalows, larger units and probably hundreds of spaces for RVs and tents.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

It was a hot day, and I definitely didn't feel like doing tourist things on the crowded streets, so what's a pilgrim to do? Find some yellow arrows of course!

View attachment 126545

I went to the cathedral and started walking along the river. My goal was Foz do Douro to get a head start on today's short walk to Lavra, but it was so nice walking by the ocean that I just kept going until I was in Matosinhos!

Today I walked about 12 km from where I left off on my little jaunt yesterday in Matosinhos to Praia de Angeiras where I'm staying at a camping place. They have a special pilgrim rate - I'm staying in a "bungalow" for only 16€. There are common toilets and showers down the path. I hope that I don't have to go in the middle of the night!

View attachment 126546
The walk today was beautiful on boardwalks by the sea. I passed by Capela da Boa Nova - a little chapel on a site where there has been a church since the 14th century.

View attachment 126547

This campground is massive. There are dozens of these little bungalows, larger units and probably hundreds of spaces for RVs and tents.
Good luck snagging one of those bungalows for 16e during the holiday or summer seasons

I arrived in Lisbon on Wednesday after some stressful last minute flight changes. My evening flight from Denver to London was super delayed, so I had to accept an itinerary that left 4.5 hours earlier. I was literally on the phone with the United agent while I was simultaneously dragging suitcase and backpack upstairs and requesting an Uber to the airport. I made it there just about 10 minutes before boarding for the first of three flights. I arrived in Lisbon having barely slept a wink.

After a marathon sleep session I was still tired so opted for the hop on hop off bus tour to get an overview of the city.

Today I met up with forum members @jungleboy and @Wendy Werneth. After a short tour we had drinks then dinner, and took the obligatory selfie.

I'll be off bright and early in the morning!

View attachment 124587
Excited for you. I am doing the Portugues starting Sept 14.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen recovery camino, @trecile ! It looks like you're off to a wonderful start - and it's lovely to know you're out and about again.

So much seems to have happened while I wasn't paying attention. I'm sorry about that. My thoughts are with you.
Doug, last I saw, you were walking. Good. You were paying attention to that! 🙃

View attachment 126545

View attachment 126546

View attachment 126547

Is this the Orbiter campsite near Lavra and Labruge? Can it be booked in advance at the Pilgrims rate? We are a family of 4 walking from Porto in 3 weeks so was thinking of staying here on night 2.

Just catching up. I am glad that you are once again on your way, and I hope you remain well.🙏

It sounds like you did everything you could do to prepare for your trip. Regarding "letting your guard down", you probably didn't do anything foolish. I am not sure anyone can hide from this thing anymore.

The communal aspect of the Camino made it so special for me.

¡Deseándote buena salud!👣:D:cool:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is this the Orbiter campsite near Lavra and Labruge? Can it be booked in advance at the Pilgrims rate? We are a family of 4 walking from Porto in 3 weeks so was thinking of staying here on night 2.
Yes Orbitur camping in Angeiras. Find them on the internet and send an email. We did the same. Great place to stay restaurant for diner. Breakfast you can buy in a bakershop 200 meters away in the center of the village. Good value

Last edited:
I've been absent for a few days because my first day back on the Camino was also my last day - for this trip.

Shortly after I wrote my last post here I slipped and fell on some wet pavement and broke my arm - and my phone.

I was helped by some wonderful people who called an ambulance and waited with me until it arrived.

I had an initial surgery to stabilize the bones, and now have a "Franken-arm" with several pins sticking out.

I'll have another surgery in a few days, then I should be able to fly home a few days after that.

My daughter was able to fly over to help me out, and she has been amazing. We are settled into an apartment in Matosinhos for the time being, pending the scheduling of my next surgery.

I've been absent for a few days because my first day back on the Camino was also my last day - for this trip.

Shortly after I wrote my last post here I slipped and fell on some wet pavement and broke my arm - and my phone.

I was helped by some wonderful people who called an ambulance and waited with me until it arrived.

I had an initial surgery to stabilize the bones, and now have a "Franken-arm" with several pins sticking out.

I'll have another surgery in a few days, then I should be able to fly home a few days after that.

My daughter was able to fly over to help me out, and she has been amazing. We are settled into an apartment in Matosinhos for the time being, pending the scheduling of my next surgery.
Ohh so sorry!

Take care!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh my goodness, so sorry to hear this. What an incredibly unfortunate camino you’ve had. Sending positive vibes and hoping for a good outcome with the next surgery.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I am sorry to read your post, @trecile. At least you have your daughter there to be your replacement right hand. May it all get better from here on in.
edit - your replacement working hand! I see it is in fact your left hand...

I’m so sorry, @trecile on what had happened to you. At least you were so lucky in having those “angels” to help you while help arrived. My best to you on subsequent procedures and a prompt return back home. Shall continue to keep you in my prayers for a healthy recovery.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ohhhhh, @trecile ...
I'm so sorry.
That it's your left arm and your daughter is with you are blessings, under terrible circumstances. I hope the pain is not too bad, and that your surgery is very soon - and goes very smoothly!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

You have had a tough time! Best wishes and hope you heal quickly

OMG, your trip has been an epic journey traveling with Murphy, the lawyer, hovering over your every stage. So sorry to hear this. Take it from me broken bones are not fun, I am wearing a cast on my right leg now because I broke my ankle 2 weeks ago stumbling over my gimpy right foot that is affected by neuropathy. Glad to hear your daughter came to the rescue.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh my, @trecile, you have had a lot to cope with on this walk. Breaking a bone when you are far from home and navigating an unknown health system can be so difficult. Luckily, Spanish health care seems great, and it sounds like you were speedily connected with a surgeon. My thoughts are with you as you deal with all of this.

Oh my, @trecile, you have had a lot to cope with on this walk. Breaking a bone when you are far from home and navigating an unknown health system can be so difficult. Luckily, Spanish health care seems great, and it sounds like you were speedily connected with a surgeon. My thoughts are with you as you deal with all of this.
I think she was still in Portugal!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Oh Terri, I am so sorry this happened to you. I actually had been a bit worried the past 3 days, because you had neither replied, nor posted to anything, nor had you even "liked" anything since Sat. morning. I wish to thank you for all the encouraging info you have provided me for my upcoming Portuguese Caminho, but more importantly, I wish you a SPEEDY recovery, and before long, a BOM CAMINHO.
Thinking of you!
S.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We're all out here thinking of you, @trecile.
You've figured out my plan. I believe it's what they call a "long con." 😄
You are a wiley operator!
But seriously, I hope these experiences get folded into an experience that you can laugh about in the future.
All the best to you and your great family (coming to the rescue)!

This Camino was clearly not meant to be, for you. However, I hope you get to enjoy not being on the move in lovely Portugal and get to spend the time perhaps in that lovely campsite by the sea or in beautiful Porto. Maybe it will bring a new adventure. This is a lesson for us all. Have a plan B. I had an injury on my last Camino but took the time I should have been walking for a holiday. Get well soon.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am so sorry to hear about your accident. I have been reading about your journey and wishing you the best. I will keep you in my prayers. I wish you a speedy recovery and good travels back home.

Thanks for all the healing thoughts and prayers.

Just a quick update - other than still having a broken arm I'm feeling 100% better. I have minimal pain, and only when I try to move my arm too quickly. Sleeping is a bit awkward with all the hardware sticking out.

I had my dressings changed today and there's no sign of inflection.
I was originally treated at the public hospital, but will have my second surgery at a private hospital.

I've already seen a surgeon there, and have an appointment with her colleague on Friday, when we should be able to set the date for the second surgery - hopefully Monday 🤞

Trecile, I was shocked and saddened to read you have broken your arm by slipping on wet pavement. I am not sure of the circumstances that caused your fall, but a few years ago I was in Lisbon walking on all those marble "setts" during a downpour. We literally had to take every step with extreme caution as they had become smooth as glass and like an ice skating rink in the rain.
I'm sure it is a real blessing having your family by your side...Get well soon!

I found yet another use for the all purpose Buff. If you ever find yourself with the pins and rods of an external stabilizer device sticking out of your arm it makes a great cover to keep people from staring when you are out and about. 😀 I cut a slit for my thumb to keep it in place.

20220603_230451.jpg

I now have a date for the surgery to replace the external device with a plate and screws internally. I go in for the surgery on Tuesday, then the doctor will see me a few days later to determine when I can fly home.

Wishing you a speedy recovery! Having pins sticking out of your body is not fun especially around your hand and if you're like me, and bit clumsy. I had a pin sticking out of the tip of my finger it's not so fun.

Last edited:
I hope you are able to get some rest prior to your surgery. I pray that it goes well, you have a swift recovery, and a safe trip back home. I am sure this brings new meaning to the old phrase "there's no place like home".
¡Suerte!🙏👣 :D:cool:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I now have a date for the surgery to replace the external device with a plate and screws internally. I go in for the surgery on Tuesday, then the doctor will see me a few days later to determine when I can fly home.
@trecile, I am wondering how your second surgery went for you and if you are now back home. Possibly I missed one of your final posts about your broken arm; I'm not sure.
I hope all is well with you.

@trecile, I am wondering how your second surgery went for you and if you are now back home. Possibly I missed one of your final posts about your broken arm; I'm not sure.
I hope all is well with you.
The second surgery went well. I will see the doctor again on Monday. When I left the hospital he did say that it's up to me when I want to go home.

We have decided to stay until Thursday, which was my original date to travel home. It was easier and cheaper to book my husband on the same flights than to change my ticket.

I have been recuperating in a lovely apartment overlooking the Duoro River, and we have been doing some sightseeing.

20220609_151759.jpg
Now that the surgery is over I think that my husband is starting to enjoy his forced Portuguese vacation. 😊

I'm still updating my blog here: https://findpenguins.com/5ixpjr3zqtulh/trip/6264c98a7cb277-86757202

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back