• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Ultimate Camino - who would you invite?

Wokabaut_Meri

somewhere along the Way
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2015
Pilgrims Way 2018
Via Francigena #1 Canterbury-Dover 2018
It's a popular question in magazines and news articles asked of celebrities and politicians: If you were hosting a dinner party - the ultimate dinner party - who would you invite and why?

It got me thinking about walking the Ultimate Camino with 5 companerõs. If you could invite anyone, living or dead, to accompany you on your next Camino, who would they be and why would you chose them?

Here's mine:
1. My Mum
She died of Dementia in 2009, loved walking but was tormented by memories of her refugee trek across Europe during WWII. She would have adored wandering along the Camino and perhaps it may have brought her some peace of mind.
2. Emilio Estevez
The Director of 'The Way'. Lively conversation on how his intention to honour and promote the Camino has helped to popularise the Francés and how he sees that now in retrospect.
3. Pablo Picasso
for his amazing, prolificly creative life and his moving and powerful painting: Guernica
4. Mary Oliver
because you have to have a poet and to live her poem 'The Journey'
5. St James
For his take on pilgrims and the pilgrimage. We could finally get the answer to that hotly debated question of what makes a true pilgrim?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What a lovely idea for a thread, thank you Wokabout_Meri.

My five would be:
1. My late partner who enjoyed walking and red wine - especially a good Rioja.
2. My grandson and/or daughter, neither of whom are keen on walking but who I am sure would soon be converted to the joys of the Camino.
3. Catalonian musician Jordi Savall and his late wife, the wonderful soprano Montserrat Figueras - for their wonderful performances of early Spanish music which would lift my spirits on the hard stretches.
4. Nelson Mandela, (not a stranger to long walks), for his wisdom, his ability to forgive, his love of humanity and perseverance in the face of enormous obstacles.
5. Elias Valina to thank him for his vision and work in making the Way easy to follow and to hear what he thinks about the vast numbers of pilgrims now walking the Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's a popular question in magazines and news articles asked of celebrities and politicians: If you were hosting a dinner party - the ultimate dinner party - who would you invite and why?

It got me thinking about walking the Ultimate Camino with 5 companerõs. If you could invite anyone, living or dead, to accompany you on your next Camino, who would they be and why would you chose them?

Here's mine:
1. My Mum
She died of Dementia in 2009, loved walking but was tormented by memories of her refugee trek across Europe during WWII. She would have adored wandering along the Camino and perhaps it may have brought her some peace of mind.
2. Emilio Estevez
The Director of 'The Way'. Lively conversation on how his intention to honour and promote the Camino has helped to popularise the Francés and how he sees that now in retrospect.
3. Pablo Picasso
for his amazing, prolificly creative life and his moving and powerful painting: Guernica
4. Mary Oliver
5. St James
For his take on pilgrims and the pilgrimage. We could finally get the answer to that hotly debated question of what makes a true pilgrim?
Federico Garcia Lorca, Pablo Neruda, LLuis Llach, Carl Jung, John Bunyan, Rosalia do Castro, Chaucer - I had them all with me in my head ( and a couple of poetry books) when I walked in October and they are weaving their way into the memoire I am writing. I am sure the conversation over a glass of Ribeiro in the evening would be interesting!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The humble old-timers on this forum who've forgotten more about the Camino than I'll ever know, but who have no wish to be 'someone' as a result. No need to name names...we know who you are.;)
Oh. And you,WokabautMeri. Not to mention more than a few others.
Well who knows? We'd probably drive each other crazy in short order. But it's a fun question!

Here's mine:
1. My Mum
2. Emilio Estevez
3. Pablo Picasso
4. Mary Oliver
5. St James
My ultimate Camino would involve no one else except the pilgrims I meet along the way, the hospitaleros and local people I meet by chance encounter. Maybe not the most exciting list but hey the Camino is an intensely personal journey for me.
Loving the other responses. Some very interesting answers! Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My ultimate Camino would involve no one else except the pilgrims I meet along the way, the hospitaleros and local people I meet by chance encounter. Maybe not the most exciting list but hey the Camino is an intensely personal journey for me.
Loving the other responses. Some very interesting answers! Buen Camino

Quite sweet to have who is there but sort of misses the traditional 'supper invite' point of the post doesn't it?

I walked each day in memory of someone I knew who had died, who would have loved to be walking. In particular I wish Amy and Elaine could walk with me. Amy was a student in my tutor group. She suffered from cystic fibrosis, arthritis and diabetes. In Year 12 she had a lung transplant. She came back to school, passed three A levels and her driving test, and went to Leicester Uni to read history. Sadly she collapsed after only a few weeks and died aged only eighteen.
Elaine sang with us in St. Michael's Singers based at Coventry Cathedral. She had a beautiful soprano voice and loved life. She was diagnosed with breast cancer, had a breast removed and endured several courses of chemo, losing her hair twice. Eventually the cancer spread theoughout her body and she died just before Christmas, much loved and missed by all who know and sang with her. How I wosh I could walk the Camino with both of them.
I am so lucky to be enjoying life at 70, and planning to walk up Mount Snowdon (in Wales) in June. My friend Helen, the same age age as I am, married an American and settled in San Diego. She and her husband Bob began to walk the Camino today.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The same answer as I use to the who would you like to have lunch with. It would be my little Italian grandmother. She passed away when I was 16. I had the luxury of visiting her once or twice a year when I was growing up. She spoke no English and was illiterate. She was feisty, hid her favorite 4 Roses bourbon under the kitchen sink (she 'd have the box boy from the grocer deliver it to her on the sly) and had great sense of humor, all 4'6" of her. She and my grandfather farmed in Italy before moving to the states. I have some pictures of her when she was the same age I am now and I know exactly where I got my figure from!!! (I'm 10" taller though)

To add to my camino pod if I needed more I'd add my best friend Betsy. She lives in Colorado and we've been best friends for 51 years but only get to see each other in person every couple of years. And my brother Steve - we never get to spend time alone together. As my photography coach I'll add Imogene Cunningham.

Last edited:

Here's mine:
1. My Mum
2. Emilio Estevez
3. Pablo Picasso
4. Mary Oliver
5. St James
Robert Butler, aside for my own reason walking the Camino, my good friend with stage 4 colon cancer.

Paulo Coelho, keep my mind active

Joost from The Way, he knows where all the good food are located

My late grandfather who introduced me to long distance walking

I am very lucky, because I have walked with some of my favorite people already! Guide-writer, waymark-painter and marathon walker Laurie Reynolds (Peregrina2000). APOC founder Kathy Gower, my bestie. Kanga, an Aussie humorist who can keep me smiling all the way up O Cebreiro. George Greenia, who practically invented the Camino, and continues to inspire. And Johnnie Walker, a walking machine and spectacular Camino Busybody...
I'd add (almost) anybody who's ever been a Ditch Pig, or lasted more than a week of slave labor at Peaceable Kingdom.
And my Uncle Bob, who took me along when he went looking for Big Foot.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
What a GREAT thread! how fun....

1) Mother Teresa...she may not say much at times, but what she has to say is plenty (my favorite quote: "We can do no great things; only small things with great love") ~ and we may have to walk rather slow, but that would be quite alright - I have no doubt she'd make it.

2) Frank McCourt ~ (he wrote one of my favorite books ~ Angela's Ashes)

3) Katherine Hepburn ~ I just think she would be a kick!

4 and 5 would be my mother and my brother who are both gone:( What a wonderful reunion that would be....

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I got my list partially completed there I walked with one of my 3 kids last year. So yes ....boring.....I would LOVE to do the walk with all 3 of them and my daughter in law.....and if it was an option I would have the 2 "grand puppies" with us too ha ha .....however they are Dachshunds (Wiener dogs) so NO WAY they could walk that far. Poor things would have no legs left. :) But seriously....all my kids would be absolutely lovely.....and what is even better...I think it will actually happen one day :) They have all expressed serious interest !!!!

1. My father. It would have been a epic walk.
2. Friend Craig who has walked with me on the English and Portuguese and our upcoming French way beginning April 14.
3. Allen Rickman even if just for a hour or two.
4. My children "my feet hurt, I'm tired, are we there yet, I have to go to the bathroom, he's copying me". They got better!
5. Robert Baden-Powell. Founder of the Boy Scouts

Well, I'd take Rebekah because she knows everything about the Camino and who else enthuses about the mysteries of adobe walls in an amusing way?

Two 70 year old Irishmen I met on the Camino in 2003, who kept me laughing for days with their limericks and wit.

A nameless saint, a young man I met 40 years ago, whose goodness still stands as a beacon.

Ronald Dworkin, to provide endless philosophical discussion and intellectual gymnastics. Sadly he's no longer alive.

And my family. Of course. Because they provide love, joy and laughter and the little ones remind us that this life is a surprising wonderful adventure.

The humble old-timers on this forum who've forgotten more about the Camino than I'll ever know, but who have no wish to be 'someone' as a result. No need to name names...we know who you are.;)
Oh. And you,WokabautMeri. Not to mention more than a few others.
Well who knows? We'd probably drive each other crazy in short order. But it's a fun question!

Awwhh!! Thank you.

An offer too good to refuse. You never know, some path, some day...

Wouldn't it be amazing if a horde of Forum members descended together onto the Camino... :p it certainly wouldn't be a dull walk!

I got my list partially completed there I walked with one of my 3 kids last year. So yes ....boring.....I would LOVE to do the walk with all 3 of them and my daughter in law.....and if it was an option I would have the 2 "grand puppies" with us too ha ha .....however they are Dachshunds (Wiener dogs) so NO WAY they could walk that far. Poor things would have no legs left. :) But seriously....all my kids would be absolutely lovely.....and what is even better...I think it will actually happen one day :) They have all expressed serious interest !!!!

Never underestimate the grand puppies... met this little fellow in and he had come over the Pyrenees from St Jean PdP although his master did carry him some of the Way.

D012_079.JPG

2. Emilio Estevez

Oh! and he would show me the location of that bridge scene!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The lovely folks with whom I met and walked with in 2015…..

So true @movinmaggie!

When I walked the Frances in 2014, I never could have predicted the wonderful 5 individuals I met along the way and walked the final days with.

When we arrived in Santiago we were a tight knit 'family' who had shared so much through walking.

Dara O'Briain for the jokes, Bill Bryson because then I might become the new version of Katz, Andre the Giant to carry our packs, and possibly ourselves, and Shakira because any mountain would be a joy to climb if she's leading the way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Robert Butler, aside for my own reason walking the Camino, my good friend with stage 4 colon cancer.

Love that you choose Joost, would love to walk with him Yust for a few days.
Wish you well, Peter.

Fantastic thread Wokabaut_Meri! Thank you!

My ultimate companions would be :

1) Joanna Lumley - in doco mode, not Patsy Stone mode! ;) Her empathy and respect for her interviewees in her many documentaries has me in constant admiration.
2) Bill Nighy - to hear his naughty snorty laugh each day would be an absolute joy - he would be so much fun!
3) The Australian author Ailsa Piper, whose camino memoir "Sinning Across Spain" is one of my all-time favourite books. Ailsa has the most beautiful way with words - she would be so wonderful to walk and talk with.

There are so many others I'd love to be with on my Ultimate Camino, but these three are at the top of the list.

Cheers - Jenny

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Fantastic thread Wokabaut_Meri! Thank you!

My ultimate companions would be :

1) Joanna Lumley - in doco mode, not Patsy Stone mode! ;) Her empathy and respect for her interviewees in her many documentaries has me in constant admiration.
2) Bill Nighy - to hear his naughty snorty laugh each day would be an absolute joy - he would be so much fun!
3) The Australian author Ailsa Piper, whose camino memoir "Sinning Across Spain" is one of my all-time favourite books. Ailsa has the most beautiful way with words - she would be so wonderful to walk and talk with.

There are so many others I'd love to be with on my Ultimate Camino, but these three are at the top of the list.

Cheers - Jenny

What a fabulous troupe! Agree on the Ailsa Piper book it's also up there with my favourites.

It's not actually "on the Camino" - it was shot on a small river a few km to the North - I will have to go back to the "extras" on the DVD and I will get back to you.

Thanks, Mike I'm happy to detour.

I actually won a copy of 'The Way' DVD while I was walking the camino last year. On a rare check of my emails due to an emergency answered a competition and voila! Talk about serendipity.

Nice Fun thread ,
In a serious light: Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama , I'm sure there would be plenty of fun as well.
I have been lucky enough to have met them both.
Then on to the Rebels and the interesting,
1.) Joanna lumley in Patsy stone mode.:cool:
2.) The Rat Pack - all of them in one group.
3.) Marisa Tomei ( My cousin Vinny)
4.) Paulo Coelho - definite - even if he is a bit of a bullshiner?
5.) Barry White - sing for our dinners.
6.) Melissa McCarthy ( Tammy) - Waaaaaaaayy ! He he
7.) Nat King Cole - unforgetable.
8.) Serge Gainsbourg

Then , and this will be the most interesting - Romance on the Camino.
I met a petite Russian 'Princess' on the Camino in 2013 - but that is just a dream.
Then in 2015 I met this lovely Spanish lady from Barcelona while in Viana - we got along like a house on fire - after only a few minutes I thought that SHE was the one ....... but it is complicated she says , and that there are 'childrens' - Well let me complicate life even more I said - we are still in touch and I have not given up yet ...
And Christina from Barcelona would be my First choice.:rolleyes:

Nice Fun thread ,
In a serious light: Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama , I'm sure there would be plenty of fun as well.
I have been lucky enough to have met them both.
Then on to the Rebels and the interesting,
1.) Joanna lumley in Patsy stone mode.:cool:
2.) The Rat Pack - all of them in one group.
3.) Marisa Tomei ( My cousin Vinny)
4.) Paulo Coelho - definite - even if he is a bit of a bullshiner?
5.) Barry White - sing for our dinners.
6.) Melissa McCarthy ( Tammy) - Waaaaaaaayy ! He he
7.) Nat King Cole - unforgetable.
8.) Serge Gainsbourg

Then , and this will be the most interesting - Romance on the Camino.
I met a petite Russian 'Princess' on the Camino in 2013 - but that is just a dream.
Then in 2015 I met this lovely Spanish lady from Barcelona while in Viana - we got along like a house on fire - after only a few minutes I thought that SHE was the one ....... but it is complicated she says , and that there are 'childrens' - Well let me complicate life even more I said - we are still in touch and I have not given up yet ...
And Christina from Barcelona would be my First choice.:rolleyes:

Fantastic response Renshaw! What a group!
Best of luck with Christina, your "Barcelona Beauty" ... it's wonderful that you're still in touch.
Cheers - Jenny

A very nice idea. Maybe 5 persons to meet along the way, just in case an entire month together proved too testy:
  1. Tomás Luis de VICTORIA, for soul music.
  2. My late father, who protested my first camino, but was so supportive of the second. One day I will carry his ashes to the ocean.
  3. Lindsey Cowie (lindseh on the forum), who makes those affectionate videos about the camino for Youtube.
  4. Guy (Pascal Légitimus) from the movie, Saint Jacques...La Mecque.
  5. Anne-Marie S. (Camino Frances 2014) who renewed my faith in human nature at a low ebb on the 2014 CF.

What a lovely idea for a thread, thank you Wokabout_Meri.

My five would be:
1. My late partner who enjoyed walking and red wine - especially a good Rioja.
2. My grandson and/or daughter, neither of whom are keen on walking but who I am sure would soon be converted to the joys of the Camino.
3. Catalonian musician Jordi Savall and his late wife, the wonderful soprano Montserrat Figueras - for their wonderful performances of early Spanish music which would lift my spirits on the hard stretches.
4. Nelson Mandela, (not a stranger to long walks), for his wisdom, his ability to forgive, his love of humanity and perseverance in the face of enormous obstacles.
5. Elias Valina to thank him for his vision and work in making the Way easy to follow and to hear what he thinks about the vast numbers of pilgrims now walking the Camino.
Jordi and Montserrat were wonderful, but it is Arianna Savall who has a camino-themed album full of pilgrim gaiety. Why not take her?

Saint James
The Blessed Virgin Mary
Saint Francis of Assisi
Mahatma Ghandi

I think that would make an interesting group ;-) SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This question causes a lot of sentimental musings. Thank you for opening the door for thought:
* My red haired, Irish grandmother who died when I was still just a wee lad. She loved to laugh and knew pain
* John Paul II - a wonderful walker and a mind as deep as he loved
* My son who died as a boy many decades ago and still brings tears to my eyes
* The widow who gave two mites so that I could learn from and honor
* So many of the long time participants on this Board that have become respected, beloved friends

Jordi and Montserrat were wonderful, but it is Arianna Savall who has a camino-themed album full of pilgrim gaiety. Why not take her?

Thank you for reminding me Philip347. I especially treasure the Montserrat (not Santiago) Pilgrimage album Llibre Vermell, and the sublime song Cantigua de Amigo V: Quantas Sabades Amare, which features all four members of the family. So why not Ferran Savall, Pedro Estevan, the whole of Hesperion XXI, as well as La Capella Reial de Catalunya? Well, so far no-one has spotted my failure in maths, as the original list given by the OP was for only five and I opted for six, possibly seven companeros.
Although none of the noted musical family will accompany me on my Camino starting this month, I arrive in Barcelona for a Jordi Savall concert (it takes Cervantes as its theme, marking 400 years since the author's death) before heading over to Porto. I did the same last year with a detour to his concert in Dijon. It was a wonderful way to prepare for 33 days without music while I walked the Camino Frances.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen camino y buena escucha, SEB.

I still regret not spending an extra day in Estella (2014) to hear the Hilliard Enemble at Iglesia San Miguel. I was travelling with a chica and my mind was elsewhere, alas....

Buen camino y buena escucha, SEB.

I still regret not spending an extra day in Estella (2014) to hear the Hilliard Enemble at Iglesia San Miguel. I was travelling with a chica and my mind was elsewhere, alas....

Music will wait for us in its recorded form, love, on the other hand, is a matter of carpe diem!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Good luck with Coelho - saw him in Puenta la Reina in 2001: rude, arrogant and shoving pilgrims out of the way so he could do an interview for a Korean TV crew!

Janis Joplin.well,it's Janis!
General George S.Patton.He would probably say he was one of the first pilgrims to walk the Camino.
Cleopatra.Although she would probably make me carry her.
Sitting Bull.The great Indian holy man.
Edward J.Smith.Captain of the Titanic.

Musician: Tom Waits
Comedian: Doug Stanhope, although I am afraid I would die in laughter before reaching Santiago
Author: Cormac McCarthy, maybe watch him rewrite the Road to take place on the Camino
Scientist: Richard Dawkins, I would love to travel with a hardcore atheist
Artist: M. C. Escher or Louise Elisabeth Vigée Le Brun
Fictional Figure: R. Daneel Olivaw
Historical Figure: Sir Francis Drake, would love to see one of the greatest admiral on land for 30 days
Religious Figure: Job from the Bible

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back