• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My VDLP in may 2016

chinasky

Italian Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Aragones, Frances, Inglese, Primitivo, Via de la Plata, Invierno, Portoguese. From Torino to Rome.
Hi,
i'm Fabio from Italy and yesterday i've received the final confirmation that i can be off work for enough days to walk the entire VDLP. I think that i'll arrive in Sevilla on april the 30th or the first of may, starting to walk the next day, and i hope to arrive in Santiago, through the Sanabres, in 34-35 days.
If you have suggestions, hints or advices, please let me know. This will be my 6th time on the camino and i really want to enjoy it.
I would love to know if i might meet any of you along the way.

Have a nice day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola! This is a first draft of the stages.
What do you think of it? Am i missing anything or making any mistake? Any suggestion is really appreciated! At the moment i've got doubts about the part between Caceres and Banos de Montemayor.
  1. [1 MAY] - (23) Guillena [AM]
  2. [2 MAY] - (19) Castilblanco de los Arroyos [AM]
  3. [3 MAY] - (30) Almaden de la Plata [AM/Hostal]
  4. [4 MAY] - (35) Monesterio [AP]
  5. [5 MAY] - (21/27) Fuentes de Cantos [Pr]/Calzadilla dl Barros [AM]
  6. [6 MAY] - (26/19) Zafra [Pri/AT]
  7. [7 MAY] - (20) Villafranca de los Barros [Pri]
  8. [8 MAY] - (28) Torremeja [Pri]
  9. [9 MAY] - (16) Merida [AM + pri]
  10. [10 MAY] - (36) Alcuéscar [AP]
  11. [11 MAY] - (25) Valdesalor [AM]
  12. [12 MAY] - (23) Casar de Caceres [AM]
  13. [13 MAY] - ? (33) Canaveral [AM]
  14. [14 MAY] - ? (28) Galisteo [AM]
  15. [15 MAY] - ? (26) Caparra (desvio o privati che ti vengono a prendere)
  16. [16 MAY] - (22) Banos de Montemayor [AT]
  17. [17 MAY] - (32) Fuenterroble de Salvatierra [AP]
  18. [18 MAY] - (28) San predo de Rozados [Pri]
  19. [19 MAY] - (24) Salamanca [AM]
  20. [20 MAY] - (35) El cubo de la tierra del vino [AM]
  21. [21 MAY] - (32) Zamora [AM]
  22. [22 MAY] - (19) Montamarta [AM]
  23. [23 MAY] - (23) Granja de Moreruela [AM]
  24. [24 MAY] - (26) Tabara [AM]
  25. [25 MAY] - (34) Calzadilla de Terra [AM]
  26. [26 MAY] - (26) Mombuey [AM + Pri]
  27. [27 MAY] - (32) Puebla de Sanabria [Pri]
  28. [28 MAY] - (32) Lubian [AM]
  29. [29 MAY] - (25) La Gudina [AM]
  30. [30 MAY] - (34) Laza [AM]
  31. [31 MAY] - (32) Xunqueira de Ambia [AM]
  32. [1 JUNE] - (22) Ourense [AM]
  33. [2 JUNE] - (30) Monastero Oseira [AP]
  34. [3 JUNE] - (29) A Laxe [AM]
  35. [4 JUNE] - (22) Casa Leiras @ Dornelas [Pri]
  36. [5 JUNE] - (29) Santiago
(AM: Albergue Municipal o per Peregrinos, AP: Albergue Parroquial, AT: Albergue Turístico, Pri: Albergue Privado)

Thanks a lot, have a nice day.

Nobody on VDLP in May? Will I be alone? Really? :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, chinasky,
Lucky you. I started one of my Vdlp walks on the exact same day, and I had absolutely stunning, lovely weather.

I have a couple of suggestions.

I think it is definitely worth the extra effort to push through and continue all the way to Cáceres on day 11. I got there from Alcuéscar and decided I would push on after a long break. Valdesalor is a "fake" town, constructed in the 60s I think to bring in people from the surrounding rural areas. It is just not a place that pulls you in. Cáceres, on the other hand, is an unbelievable gem. It has a Renaissance core that rivals those in your neck of the woods.;) What I did was arrive late afternoon in Cáceres, which then made my next day to Casar de Cáceres very short, so I had the evening and a long long morning in Cáceres. Well worth the last slog into Cáceres the day before.

For Day 15, the walk into Cáparra, I would also recommend a walking alternative to getting picked up by the Hostal Asturias. This little map shows how to do that. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/galisteo-arco-de-caparra.7625/#post-45618

And the albergue in Dornelas looks absolutely wonderful, run by an Italian couple, I believe. I was sorry that I had stopped a few kms earlier.

Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you so much Laurie! The two stages that you talk about are indeed the one that i was questioning. You gave me a great help!
I know very well "Casa Leiras" in Dornelas because i know the owner and i've been there last year :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll be on the Via at the same time as you with four kids, but we're spending a few days in Seville before we start walking, then have more days earmarked for Merida, Caceres, Salamanca and Zamora so you'll be home before we're even half way!

Hola! This is a first draft of the stages.
What do you think of it? Am i missing anything or making any mistake? Any suggestion is really appreciated! At the moment i've got doubts about the part between Caceres and Banos de Montemayor.
Sounds like a great itinerary. Rather than go via San Pedro de Rozados, I go to Morille, which has a very nice small albergue (6 bunks) which I've had to myself both times, next door to a decent bar/restaurant (which has the keys). It cost €5, I think, and might not be so comfortable if it was full. It's about 32km from Fuenterobble, and there's also a nice bar at Pedrosillo de los Aires, about half way. It's then only 20km on to Salamanca, giving you a bit more time to enjoy that great city - and an amazing first view of the two cathedrals from high up about 12-15km away.

My itinerary is very similar, with a good deal of overlap. If all goes well I am sure we'll run into each other a bunch. Buen Camino!
Hope to see you along the way, Ultreya!

I'll be on the Via at the same time as you with four kids, but we're spending a few days in Seville before we start walking, then have more days earmarked for Merida, Caceres, Salamanca and Zamora so you'll be home before we're even half way!
I've read your blog and something about your initiative...and wow, what can i say? You are admirable and i really hope to meet you somewhere!

Sounds like a great itinerary.
Thanks a lot for the advice @alansykes !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola!
I'm also planing to walk entire VDLP on May.
It will be my third camino experience.
I hadn't planed my itinerary yet. It's actually up to my condition.
The only thing I worry is the weather. I guess it will be too hot to walk.
I don't know exactly when I start, but I hope to see you along the way~

Hola!

I think/hope to find quite good walk conditions, not to cold, not yet too hot.
I hope to see you, too!

Hola!
I'm also planing to walk entire VDLP on May.
It will be my third camino experience.
I hadn't planed my itinerary yet. It's actually up to my condition.

Hi, shinyoung,

I wouldn't worry too much about the weather. Odds are good that you'll have nice temperatures. I've started in Sevilla in mid April and once in early May, and the temperatures were wonderful for walking. For the May start, I found I was wearing my lambswool gloves for about the first two weeks in the morning till 10 or 11. Of course you may be unlucky and find that this May repeat's last May's killer temps in Spain (or was that two years ago?), or that this May's weather repeats 2013's May weather of rain rain rain, but the good news is that the high summer temps of near 40 or more in Andalucia are unlikely to be your problem! Enjoy the Vdlp, it's wonderful. Buen camino, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I 'm coming in Seville on 27 April 2016.
The next day or the day after I started to walk the Via de la Plata .
Where do we meet? :)

@chinsky -Salve! I expect to arrive in Seville on the evening of 26 April. I'm not sure if I'll set off immediately for SdC, or spend the first day or two enjoying the sights of Seville. At the speed I walk, I guess we might meet within the first week or so. Buen camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@chinsky -Salve! I expect to arrive in Seville on the evening of 26 April. I'm not sure if I'll set off immediately for SdC, or spend the first day or two enjoying the sights of Seville. At the speed I walk, I guess we might meet within the first week or so. Buen camino.

Where You stay?
I'll be in Triana hostel.

Where You stay?
I'll be in Triana hostel.
Hi there, @Anunnaki.
I haven't booked anywhere yet, but the Triana backpackers hostel looks very good to me. All I need to decide now is how many nights I'm going to stay before I begin my journey. I'll let you know.
Best wishes,
James

Hi there, @Anunnaki.
I haven't booked anywhere yet, but the Triana backpackers hostel looks very good to me. All I need to decide now is how many nights I'm going to stay before I begin my journey. I'll let you know.
Best wishes,
James
I stayed in Triana twice and enjoyed it unfortunately it was not open in early February.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We will begin grom Salamanca the 14th August. Last spring we walked from Sevilla to Salamanca in 21 days. Buen Camino

Where You stay? I'll be in Triana hostel.
Yep, i'll be there, booked a cama several weeeks ago. Just for one night, 30 of april :)

All I need to decide now is how many nights I'm going to stay before I begin my journey. I'll let you know.
Let me know if you'll stay until 30th of april :)

Hi there, @Anunnaki.
Best wishes,
James

In the hostel Triana I slept twice.
Very nice place.

... and Seville too ... :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In Sevilla I'll meet two guys (one from Malta and one from Madrid) met last october on the Primitivo and that will walk with me to Merida. In Zafra another spanish guy from the Primitivo group will join the team :)

Just booked in at the Triana backpackers' hostel for two nights, 26th and 27th April. My aim is to stay in Guillena and Castilblanco de los Arros on evenings 1+2, and to reach Almendralejo by the end of week 1. By the end of week 2, I hope to be in either Oliva de Plasencia or Carcaboso. After that, who knows!?! I'm storing up my rest days for later in the Camino, but I may be persuaded to linger longer in one of the places in the first fortnight if there's something extra special to see.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back