• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

my walk on the Camino - to be continued

Time of past OR future Camino
march 2023
There have been some posts concerning overcrowding on the Camino. I can understand the concern that they might generate but I don’t think that should be a deal breaker, it will not always be so busy. Also, I would like to tell a part of my story.

Bed bugs - these little bast--ds are a fact of life no matter where you go. Even the poshest of hotels can be infected by them. It depends on who slept in that room recently and if they left behind some of the nasty critters. They may not even know they had them. On my recent return from the Camino i took my backpack and clothing and let them run in a commercial dryer for 1 hour and 50 minutes.

I started my walk on March 20st from St. Jean pied de port. After registering at the Camino office I walked down the street a short distance and purchased a pair of walking poles from the wonderful lady at the Camino store (Air France took mine) . After spending the night at the albergue I started off early the next morning walked with others I had coffee with that morning. But I am an older retired guy, and they quickly out distanced me. The first section of the walk was not that bad but by morning I was feeling it. i remember this one concrete drive beside some sort of industrial plant that was probably at a 40-degree angle. That nearly did me in - I had to stop and rest about every 20 or 30 meters. That first day was rough and I may not have made it across the hills, but I met a wonderful man, Joseph from Pennsylvania, and he gave me encouragement to continue. Together we climbed each hill hoping it would be the top, but it never was. Several times we discarded our backpack and simply laid down. These were amazing rest breaks.

I recall a section of trail rising behind; I think a farm. That led us to about a 100 meter section of highway before turning off and continuing the walk. At the end was a water fountain. I had run out of water and the fountain water was wonderfully cold, amazing tasting water (but the sign did say it was untreated untreated) if you missed this water, you missed a treat.
About 7 PM we turned a bend and finally saw the monastery. I cannot express the excitement and relief I felt on seeing it.
I did run into Joseph a few more times and I hope he did well.

After about, i would say 7 or 8 days, the cramps in my calf's and soreness in my thighs eased. The back pain I had from carrying the backpack seemed to go away. I still walked slower than most but my pace was picking up. The hike was getting easier. About the two-week mark I was looking forward to the hike and enjoying it.

I ran into many wonderful pilgrims on the way and they were all kind and friendly. I loved how people would stop and walk with you for a spell and talk. All the buon Caminos, and hello, you OK?? They made the walk well worth while. One thing (maybe just me - I am a grumpy old guy) I would sometimes have to stop and allow a group of girls to pass by faster. Guys seem to come up on you and say hello, but loud female voices could carry for quite a distance. Well, you know....

Having started in March, there were not a lot of pilgrims on the road and meeting another was a joy. You keep running into the same people over a number of days. Gregg, Rachel, the two Martins (one always carried a huge camera) were just some of the pilgrims I kept meeting. Simply wonderful. But again, i sometimes went hours without meeting another but the reports about waves are correct. I noticed that just before easter the Camino was getting busier.

The morning coffees and that chocolate croissant were excellent! Lunch was usually a small sandwich but I did learn to buy and pack a couple of bananas and tangerines to snack on the way. The communal dinners I was involved with were thrown together concoctions. Nothing special about the meals but they were good, and but the camaraderie was excellent, certainly nothing bland. What is bland food anyway??

Each morning I was getting stronger. Every day I was opening up and more freely conversing with others. I was even learning a few words of Spanish every day also.

One thing though, being Canadian, the Camino is quite expensive.

I made it to Sahagun and stayed at the albergue Santa Cruz that night. Father John and the girls were wonderful and helpful. After waking up the next morning I notice a message from my sister. My mother had collapsed and was rushed to the hospital and the doctors needed to perform emergency surgery on her and remove her large colon. There were risks in performing this surgery on a woman nearly 90. The girls at the Albergue were wonderful. They helped me plan a way to Leon by taxi and a bus to Madrid. I slept at the airport that night and grabbed a flight the next morning.

My mother did well in surgery, but it was life altering. She has a long road to go.

If circumstances allow, I will try to finish the walk in the fall. I realize it will not be the same. I will return to Sahagan, or, to save money maybe to Leon. It was heartbreaking to leave to walk, but i look forward to returning and finishing it.
Do not allow a few worried and negative posts deter you from the walk. I learned a great deal about myself even on half the walk. These memories are of moments, if you're retired and older like me, will stay with you.

That is my story so far. Lots more I could have thrown in, but the story would be too long.

Buon Camino everyone

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you @Mikey - camino . I too was called away from the Camino and my duties as a volunteer hospitalera to care for my stepfather who also had his colon removed. I have no doubt you will return either this year or another.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back