• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My way to Santiago

19SY69

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguēs (2015), Primitivo (2016), del Northe (2018), Del Salvador/Primitvo (2020)
Thanx to this forum and the extra information from Albert I planned my way to Santiago. Some distances may be short, but I love to take my time in this.

Porto-Matosinhos-Villa do Conde/Póvoa de Varzim-Marinhas-Viana do Castelo-Caminha/A Guarda-(Barcelos/Mougas)-Baiona-(Oia)-Vigo-Redondela-Pontevedra-Armenteira-Vilanova de Arousa-Pontecesures-Santiago de Compostela.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanx to this forum and the extra information from Albert I planned my way to Santiago. Some distances may be short, but I love to take my time in this.

Porto-Matosinhos-Villa do Conde/Póvoa de Varzim-Marinhas-Viana do Castelo-Caminha/A Guarda-(Barcelos/Mougas)-Baiona-(Oia)-Vigo-Redondela-Pontevedra-Armenteira-Vilanova de Arousa-Pontecesures-Santiago de Compostela.
You are welcome Suzan ! We almost walk the same route.
We 'll keep in touch I'm busy to find all the places for lodging so I will let you know asap.
Best regards from this side of the river Maas
Albert.

Sounds like a good plan...let me ask i was planning on doing this walk in april. Is it safe to do alone do you think? And also any ideas where to get a detailed map...or are you just following the signs? And is it mainly roads or trails?

Any info would be helpful....bom camino!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Allison,
This will be my first camino, and I will also walk it on my own.
I've found a lot of information on this forum. Albert also gave me a lot of information, like detailed maps. I saw some videos on YouTube, where I found out about an App, which you can also use offline. It's called: maps.me
And I will buy a detailed map at the tourist office when I arrive in Porto. I just love the 'old fashioned' paper maps .
If getting 'lost' with all these sources, I can always use my ability of speaking. The Portuguēse are very friendly, which I found out two years ago. Although my Portuguēse isn't that good (read bad), they will always try to help you.

Enjoy your planning!

Sounds like a good plan...let me ask i was planning on doing this walk in april. Is it safe to do alone do you think? And also any ideas where to get a detailed map...or are you just following the signs? And is it mainly roads or trails?

Any info would be helpful....bom camino!!!

I forgot to mention the 'camino places' App

I forgot to mention the 'camino places' App
Got it already, although it won't be much use until i get there. I also speak Portuguese too, but from brasil. I am thinking it will be a bit useful. I like the idea of paper maps too, im not a fan of EVERYTHING being electronic. SO a few days in porto to figure it all out should be great.

Are you planning to use hotels or mainly the Albergues? And how does it work should you book all first or just arrive and try to figure it out? I feel so clueless on all of this

I am thinking now to start from viana do castelo. This way it is shortened at least a few days then from porto.

Thanks again for all your help

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am thinking now to start from viana do castelo. This way it is shortened at least a few days then from porto. ....

Lucky you planning to start from Viana do Castelo!

Viana do Castelo is a very nice seaside town with a pilgrim albergue, S. João da Cruz dos Caminhos. However if you are searching for private accommodation, consider the OLarenjeiro, rua Rua Manuel Espregueira, 24. It is a charming newly furnished small place with a very good dining room. Just before Christmas 2014 a double room with private bath and delicious breakfast was 45 euros. Quite a bargain!

Bom Caminho.

Last edited:
Got it already, although it won't be much use until i get there. I also speak Portuguese too, but from brasil. I am thinking it will be a bit useful. I like the idea of paper maps too, im not a fan of EVERYTHING being electronic. SO a few days in porto to figure it all out should be great.

Are you planning to use hotels or mainly the Albergues? And how does it work should you book all first or just arrive and try to figure it out? I feel so clueless on all of this

I am thinking now to start from viana do castelo. This way it is shortened at least a few days then from porto.

Thanks again for all your help
@Ali410 when are you starting in Viana do Castelo ?

I've planned the first two nights in a hostel. After that I'll Just figure it out day by day. But I prefer to sleep in Albergues.
And since I've just booked my flight I know my exact date! I'll arrive in Porto on July the 6th!!!! Earlier than I first though. Soooooo happy!!!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I'm planning just exactly the same route - but unsure if will make it in 10 days, what do you think?

I'm planning just exactly the same route - but unsure if will make it in 10 days, what do you think?

I don't know how much you will be walking daily. I'm planning to take my time. I have three weeks to walk and spend some extra time in Porto, Vigo and Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back