• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My worst camino turned out to be my best....

Emia

Since my first Camino (2001 from Pamplona to SdC) I was lucky enough to walk some more: 2008 from Burgos to SdC, 2009 from Hendaye to Santander, 2011 from Santander to SdC, 2012 and 2013 from Porto to SdC and Finisterra/Muxia, and somewhere in between another 2 odd weeks on the Del Norte.

This year I planned another Camino Portugues with a friend of mine. At the airport -more or less ready for take off- I found out that my ID wasn't valid anymore. Byebye Camino, there was nothing I could do since Ryanair doesn't accept a laissez-passer (emergency document). So I my soul waved my friend goodbye and I went home to lick my wounds. Being a foreigner living in Germany, it's just impossible to get a new ID within 10 days, let alone in 1 day.

Fortunately my friend had a great time, which of course left me with a laughing and a crying eye.

A few days later - still licking my wounds - I received a phone call: my 84 year old mother was in a very bad shape. Code orange, which means: the end is slowly but definately nearing. I travelled to her and spend the rest of my holidays (2 weeks) with her. Realising my friend was really enjoying her time time on the Camino made me very sad and jealous and even angry. But.... knowing it may probably have been the last time I spent so many days with my mom made it all worthwhile. Occasionally I'm still crying over my "lost" Camino, but in the end I'm very happy that it turned out this way. Only God knows how long it will take until my mom can let go and move into another dimension.

On my Caminos my mom has always travelled with me in spirit. We talked about her funeral - since she was a pilgrim in mind, the scallop will join her on her last journey. As well as the tile I brought her in 2008 from SdC: aqui vive un peregrino.

I used to take the Camino (= any Camino and at any time) for granted. But now I realize how lucky I have been. This time I was stupid enough for not checking my ID on time, but in the end it was a gift from God.

Thanks for sharing this with me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Emia.
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your mother.
:(

I totally understand your post, as the exact same thing happened to me this year!
I had a bit of an ankle issue that wouldn't go away and with regret, made plans for another person to lead my Camino group.
I was really sad.
Then, on short notice, we discovered my brother was dying of liver failure.
Mom and I were able to take him to her home and with the help of hospice, cared for him the two weeks before his death at home.
If I had been on the Camino, my 82 year old mother would have had to deal with this alone.

Sometimes we just have to ride the wave and accept that the Universe/God knows what is best.

I hope you will enjoy your next Camino, and I know your mom will be with you in spirit.
Big hugs,
Annie

It it so hard for those of us who are away from suffering family, following our hearts in the world then following our hearts home; that you both regret the loss of your Camino and give thanks for the time with your mother means your next Camino may well be all the more meaningful.
Love and light to you and yours.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Since my first Camino (2001 from Pamplona to SdC) I was lucky enough to walk some more: 2008 from Burgos to SdC, 2009 from Hendaye to Santander, 2011 from Santander to SdC, 2012 and 2013 from Porto to SdC and Finisterra/Muxia, and somewhere in between another 2 odd weeks on the Del Norte.

This year I planned another Camino Portugues with a friend of mine. At the airport -more or less ready for take off- I found out that my ID wasn't valid anymore. Byebye Camino, there was nothing I could do since Ryanair doesn't accept a laissez-passer (emergency document). So I my soul waved my friend goodbye and I went home to lick my wounds. Being a foreigner living in Germany, it's just impossible to get a new ID within 10 days, let alone in 1 day.

Fortunately my friend had a great time, which of course left me with a laughing and a crying eye.

A few days later - still licking my wounds - I received a phone call: my 84 year old mother was in a very bad shape. Code orange, which means: the end is slowly but definately nearing. I travelled to her and spend the rest of my holidays (2 weeks) with her. Realising my friend was really enjoying her time time on the Camino made me very sad and jealous and even angry. But.... knowing it may probably have been the last time I spent so many days with my mom made it all worthwhile. Occasionally I'm still crying over my "lost" Camino, but in the end I'm very happy that it turned out this way. Only God knows how long it will take until my mom can let go and move into another dimension.

On my Caminos my mom has always travelled with me in spirit. We talked about her funeral - since she was a pilgrim in mind, the scallop will join her on her last journey. As well as the tile I brought her in 2008 from SdC: aqui vive un peregrino.

I used to take the Camino (= any Camino and at any time) for granted. But now I realize how lucky I have been. This time I was stupid enough for not checking my ID on time, but in the end it was a gift from God.

Mums are important and time we spend with them is the memories you will have on your next Camino and that will make it more rewarding, you will be back. I wish I lived nearer to the Way but I am planning my next trip already in 2016 walking this time from Barcelona via Montserrat up to Longrono then to Santiago.

I think the Guardian Angels of the Camino must be taking care of all pilgrims, as defined by their intentions.

Hi Emia.
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your mother.
:(

I totally understand your post, as the exact same thing happened to me this year!
I had a bit of an ankle issue that wouldn't go away and with regret, made plans for another person to lead my Camino group.
I was really sad.
Then, on short notice, we discovered my brother was dying of liver failure.
Mom and I were able to take him to her home and with the help of hospice, cared for him the two weeks before his death at home.
If I had been on the Camino, my 82 year old mother would have had to deal with this alone.

Sometimes we just have to ride the wave and accept that the Universe/God knows what is best.

I hope you will enjoy your next Camino, and I know your mom will be with you in spirit.
Big hugs,
Annie
Annie, I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. The loss of a sibling is profound. But how wonderful that you were able to be there with your mother, to support her and to share together this terrible, terrible loss. My heart hurts for you and goes out to you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Emia, everyone on the forum shares your sadness. It's so good that you can be with your mother. I'm a mother too, and I know how important it will be for me to have my children close to me in my final days, whenever they are. You are a great blessing to your mother. Remember that always.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back