• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mystery Martyr Monk

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
In the church Santa Maria of Los Arcos there is a small museum. One of the exhibits is a bust of a man with a knife at the neck. It sits on a wooden base in a glass box. On the base it says "BRAMIRO MONGE MARTIR". I've googled, of course, but found nothing. Does anybody know anything about this monk and his martyrdom? Thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In the church Santa Maria of Los Arcos there is a small museum. One of the exhibits is a bust of a man with a knife at the neck. It sits on a wooden base in a glass box. On the base it says "BRAMIRO MONGE MARTIR". I've googled, of course, but found nothing. Does anybody know anything about this monk and his martyrdom? Thanks.
Could it be this man? B Ramiro

I guess it must be him. I did get a few results from Google saying "Did you mean 'Ramiro'?" and I did google <ramiro martyr "los arcos">, but I saw nothing in the first page of results that looked promising. There is nothing in the Wiki article connecting him with Los Arcos. Also no explanation for the 'B' or the knife at his neck. Obviously, I suppose, it is the way he was martyred, but the Wiki article doesn't say how he was killed.

Attachments

• 1-sd card 281.JPG
    1-sd card 281.JPG
    475.8 KB · Views: 37
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I guess it must be him. I did get a few results from Google saying "Did you mean 'Ramiro'?" and I did google <ramiro martyr "los arcos">, but I saw nothing in the first page of results that looked promising. There is nothing in the Wiki article connecting him with Los Arcos. Also no explanation for the 'B' or the knife at his neck. Obviously, I suppose, it is the way he was martyred, but the Wiki article doesn't say how he was killed.
Here's more info, including a picture that could explain the knife at his neck.

Could it be this man? B Ramiro
Yes, that's him. The "B" could be an abbreviation of "Bendito" (Blessed). Saints are often depicted with the sword or other instrument that led to their death as a martyr. In this case, a knife.

And while there doesn't have to be a particular connection for a saint to be venerated in a town, there is a special connection between Los Arcos and San Ramiro: In 1601, the parish of Los Arcos was gifted a relic of San Ramiro.

http://www.losarcos.es/lugar-y-gentes/historia/personajes-ilustres/

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, that's him. The "B" could be an abbreviation of "Bendito" (Blessed). Saints are often depicted with the sword or other instrument that led to their death as a martyr. In this case, a knife.

And while there doesn't have to be a particular connection for a saint to be venerated in a town, there is a special connection between Los Arcos and San Ramiro: In 1601, the parish of Los Arcos was gifted a relic of San Ramiro.

http://www.losarcos.es/lugar-y-gentes/historia/personajes-ilustres/
And that bust in the photo does bear as strong resemblance to a reliquary. That looks like an oval window in the chest, where one might see the relic, if the lighting were better.

And that bust in the photo does bear as strong resemblance to a reliquary. That looks like an oval window in the chest, where one might see the relic, if the lighting were better.
Yes, David. When I zoom in on the gold oval, I can see a crack in the glass (I mean, I didn't realise it was a window until you mentioned it. Zooming in on the image and seeing the crack confirmed that it was a window.) Kathar1na's link gives the whole story (more or less): "On September 14, 1601, ... , he donated to the parish a series of famous relics ... a medal of Saint Torcuato, disciple of Santiago, bishop and martyr, with a relic of his inside his chest, on a golden litter; another medal of San Ramiro, martyr, with a relic of his inside the chest;" I think that the Spanish must have a couple of typos; I think 'medalla' should be 'modelo'. And the 'B' could indeed be for 'Bendito', though I thought that the title 'Blessed' was conferred to a person before sainthood was conferred. Since Ramiro is a saint, I would have thought the inscription should be "SRAMIRO", but that's a minor detail.
Thanks, Canuck, Kathar1na and David.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back