• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mystery

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So long as we are airing such gripes, why are there so rarely hooks on the backs of the doors in albergue showers? 🤔

Many years ago when I was planning my first camino, someone on here suggested that I make a home-made S hook for use in showers. My husband made me one from an old wire coat hanger and I use it all the time... often showing it off with pride as other pilgrims oooh and ahhh at my precious little shower jewel 🤭

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just as bizarre. I recently stayed a place where the ceramic toilet paper holder had an ash tray molded on its top.
I am so old that I remember those ash trays in most toilets before non-smoking rules arrived.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Many years ago when I was planning my first camino, someone on here suggested that I make a home-made S hook for use in showers. My husband made me one from an old wire coat hanger and I use it all the time... often showing it off with pride as other pilgrims oooh and ahhh at my precious little shower jewel 🤭
Hi Les - your S hook sounds genius! Well done and thanks to your husband.
What about posting a photo of it on this thread so we can make our own - what a great thing to share and it's also a terrific gift idea for Camino friends and friends who're travelling.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So long as we are airing such gripes, why are there so rarely hooks on the backs of the doors in albergue showers? 🤔
I always bring my own "S" hook, but I have noticed each year that some of the newer albergues seem to have hooks to hang your clothes.

Last edited:
What about posting a photo of it on this thread so we can make our own - what a great thing to share and it's also a terrific gift idea for Camino friends and friends who're travelling.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny
You can purchase them inexpensively at hardware stores, too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would be willing to bet there are.

Once many years ago I was in an albergue and I was trying to swat flies away from my dinner plate during dinner. The Spanish owner of the facility saw me doing this and laughed at me saying, in Spanish, I should not try to kill the national bird of Spain !!!!!!!!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You should have told him it was a beer-cooler. That would have made him happy.

And then he would divorce me once he found out the truth after drinking a beer that touched a bidet. Man, I can SO see him flipping at it.

Back on the original topic, I never noticed the lack of soap dishes... But then, I usually bring my own soap and balance everything on top of the toiletries case :p

Not sure I've seen that one?
Over 40 years ago....we were in some hotel somewhere and when my Dad came out of the bathroom he said " there's a very handy contraption in there for washing your feet!"
In actual fact, he wasn't far wrong either!
Often now, when I see one, I think of my dear Dad

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

I can't take all the credit... it was someone on here who gave us the idea... but here it is... in all it's s'marvellous glory 🤭

70180301_525548164938800_7599334336894074880_n.jpg70635247_540902746677577_2383179745123631104_n.jpg70892386_439117953613894_5947373108921892864_n.jpg

I can't see how an S hook helps with the "where to put the soap" problem.
No... It would not help in the slightest 😂 but after that... There was this...

Hence my beloved S hook 😂😂😂

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And then he would divorce me once he found out the truth after drinking a beer that touched a bidet. Man, I can SO see him flipping at it

Have you ever seen documentary proof that he’s an Aussie or does he just say he is?

I only know a couple of Aussie males these days, but both would take great pride (and many pictures) in drinking beer under those circumstances.

I can't take all the credit... it was someone on here who gave us the idea... but here it is... in all it's s'marvellous glory 🤭

View attachment 64819View attachment 64820View attachment 64821
Thanks Les for the photos - and thanks again to your husband (and the Forum member who shared the S-hook idea).
I really like it that you've used a plastic-covered wire hanger - better than the usual wire hanger from the dry cleaners.
One of these hooks will be joining my bathroom kit on my next Camino!
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Or buy one in a home improvement store. They’re for hanging paint cans.

do you mind, please, to post - here - a pic of it?

I would be willing to bet there are.

Once many years ago I was in an albergue and I was trying to swat flies away from my dinner plate during dinner. The Spanish owner of the facility saw me doing this and laughed at me saying, in Spanish, I should not try to kill the national bird of Spain !!!!!!!!!!
😂

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just as bizarre. I recently stayed a place where the ceramic toilet paper holder had an ash tray molded on its top.
Hey, what is this? We are now complaining about things ‘not’ provided as well as about things provided? 🤔 I’d like to see some Spaniards doing a walk in UK or Oz and what they find weird.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Over 40 years ago....we were in some hotel somewhere and when my Dad came out of the bathroom he said " there's a very handy contraption in there for washing your feet!"
In actual fact, he wasn't far wrong either!
Often now, when I see one, I think of my dear Dad
My Dad was an unconditional fan of bidets. He used it regularly after his morning bathroom. And why ever not? You (male) can't always shower after a Number Two, but a little bidet session is much eco-friendlier than moist towelettes. Of course, you need to live in a house that has females in it, otherwise you'd never dare to put one in...

Why not buy a bunch a gift them!😬

If you put your bar of soap in one of those little mesh bags that lemons etc come in, and tie it off with string, you can then hang the bag from your 'S' hook. You can use the soap without taking it out of the bag!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I dislike bidets. They take up too much floor space in small European bathrooms and are just an extra thing for housekeeping to clean. Even if a person uses them, it's another another towel to wash and dry that isnt necessary...just my opinion. I live in the U.S. where you rarely encounter them.

I dislike bidets. They take up too much floor space in small European bathrooms and are just an extra thing for housekeeping to clean. Even if a person uses them, it's another another towel to wash and dry that isnt necessary...just my opinion. I live in the U.S. where you rarely encounter them.
Are you male or female? Bidets are a God-send for ladies with their period.
You will find a bidet in most Southern European houses (plus I've seen them in offices in Italy). The bathrooms were built to include a bidet! I have lived in Switzerland, Italy, France and Spain, and have always found a bidet in the bathroom.
Another towel to wash? You certainly don't need a bathtowel, just a little hand towel!
Come to that, who suffers from haemorrhoids find them useful too.

Are you male or female? Bidets are a God-send for ladies with their period.
You will find a bidet in most Southern European houses (plus I've seen them in offices in Italy). The bathrooms were built to include a bidet! I have lived in Switzerland, Italy, France and Spain, and have always found a bidet in the bathroom.
Another towel to wash? You certainly don't need a bathtowel, just a little hand towel!
Come to that, who suffers from haemorrhoids find them useful too.
Hi Anna, I am female and have never used a bidet, so the old saying "you don't miss what you don't know" or "ignorance is bliss" is probably true for me. I prefer more floor space in the small European bathrooms since I have no interest in using a bidet, but I respect your reasoning for their usefulness.

I sympathise with the problem of no hooks to hang your clothes on while showering. While in Pamplona on my last Camino, I came across one of those cheap Asian shops where I found a couple of those hooks with a suction cup. You put it against a smooth surface and pull the hook down into place which creates suction in the cup. To remove just pull the hook back up again. They will take a lot of weight. I have used them on all sorts of surfaces even windows when there was nowhere else. They are not as cheap as a home-made S hook but are more convenient. On my last morning in Fisterra I left them in the shower so I hope another pilgrim now has them.

Somebody here recommended bringing one along and I was very glad I did. Now if anyone needs packing advice and its not in their list, I recommend it.

I can help with this one ... soap net bags!
They turn a bar of soap into a whole new lathered showering experiencing, they also exfoliate at the same time and then allows you to hang it up to dry afterwards!
A cheap little lightweight camino luxury!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I found a couple of those hooks with a suction cup. You put it against a smooth surface and pull the hook down into place which creates suction in the cup
And why no plugs when there is (rarely, but it happens) a bath?
I have one of those suction hooks - it also doubles as a sink/bath plug.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
...well, you could put and use your bar of soap in a little mesh bag (kind of like soap on a rope) and then use your “S” hook 🙃 ...editing here - I see I’m not the only one with this brilliant idea

I wondered the same thing when i had to put my towel on the floor outside the shower. 😊

€149,-
I have read all the comments about BIDET, really think it’s just a matter of culture. But now a days, it serves as a very eco-friendly “tool”. And I think the albergues that have them are careful about the cleaning as they have to be with tubs and shower curtains. Just enjoy your stay, wherever you decide, the Camino gives us much more than “bidets”, and no soap dishes...
Buen Camino...

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back