• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

não me toque - don't touch me - words you may need on the Caminho Portugues

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Dear all,

I got this private message from a female forum member and was asked to post it on the forum. The title and the text below is hers:

-----------

I experienced two situations on the Caminho Portugues involving excessive unwanted touching by a man. Both occurred while I was hiking alone.
The first occurred between Santarem and Fatima at a station set up by a man with photos. At first the man seemed pleasant but when I resisted his hugs and kisses he did not let go until I became angry and pushed him away.
In this first situation, I was not fearful because I was quite certain I could get away. Honestly, I am not sure I could have gotten away, but he was a smaller older man and I tell myself that I would fight aggressively if necessary.
I wondered if there was a cultural disconnect. If so and if the man at this station is well-intentioned, I hope that some of the peregrinos who are more fluent in Portuguese will explain to him how unpleasant and frightening it is for a woman travelling alone to be touched. In my world, his behavior (especially when he held on after I resisted) would be considered assault.

Much later in the trip I had another incident. I was walking alone. The man was in a farm area. He grabbed both of my arms and kissed me on my cheeks repeatedly. He talked quickly and I could not understand what he was saying. When I tried to push him away, he squeezed my arms tighter. This time I was quite frightened. After several minutes of unpleasantness, he released me and I went on. I spoke to another peregrina who had walked alone that day and she had received similar treatment from this same man.
My hope is that this behavior from these two men will stop if others explain to them that they should not touch any peregrinos without permission and especially no touching of a peregrina travelling alone.
In the meantime, my recommendation to other peregrinas is to be very defensive around men you encounter on the path. Know how to say "do not touch" in Portuguese and Spanish and have your sticks out and ready to use if necessary.
After these two incidents, I decided that another such incident would not occur to me without a fight.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am sincerely surprised that someone would assume that knowing the right words in Spanish or Portuguese would stop an offender.
Or that an explanation in Portuguese will stop that kind of harassment. Does anyone really think that this is acceptable behaviour among the Portuguese?
This isn't about any 'cultural disconnect' but basically about yourself and your own boundaries: you don't want anyone to touch you, period.

No course in self defense will teach you to engage in a polite conversation with a perp. Use your poles to keep them at a distance.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't think a situation like this is an "either/or" (Don't touch me vs pole defense). I can well imagine a person who 1) Default mode is thinking the best of locals met on Camino; 2) Default mode in a trying situation is a feeling of helplessness due to language. I can understand that speaking a firm "Don't touch me" in the offenders own language would empower the victim to go to the next step of defense. The ability to convey her position gives her the satisfaction of knowing she's done all she could to discourage this behavior and some of us need that before resorting to violence.

See this thread for the background to this notice: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...women-on-the-camino-tips-from-the-mods.47474/

There is continuing concern about incidents affecting female pilgrims. We reiterate the advice given by a number of pilgrim associations and the Spanish authorities:

Before you set out, programme the emergency number 112 into your telephone.

Consider downloading this App issued by the Spanish government:

https://alertcops.ses.mir.es/mialertcops/info/info.xhtml

The app allows anyone in Spain to send an alert from a mobile device "smartphone'"straight to the police..

If you feel threatened or uncomfortable or if you are assaulted in any way TRY TO REMOVE yourself to a place of safety immediately

Call the police – the best number to use is 112 which covers all of Spain (and much of Europe) and which has operators who speak English.

And please, please, REPORT all incidents to the police. Too many of these unlawful aggressions are never reported, which means that the full extent of the problem is hidden from the authorities.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Recently, I've been thinking that I should perhaps be more conscious of remaining alert to what is happening around me - particularly when I am walking alone - and, more importantly, asking myself what would I do if suddenly I found someone had encroached, or was beginning to encroach, on my space. Based on something that happened to me recently, I am thinking that a loud and definitively delivered "Keep back!" could be a good response to keep in one's arsenal. This would need to be delivered before physical contact was made. It's an 'offensive' move, and it might be presumptuous in the extreme, and even downright rude. It is contrary to what we have been taught but, based on how I've seen it used, I think it could be very effective. Comments?

We women MUST become our first and best safety net. We often feel guilty or bad when we allow ourselves to self protect. It is okay not to allow a man to put his hands on you. Culture or no: saying no, or do not touch me is just fine.

Right now in the USA #metoo is a platform for victims/survivors of sexual abuse. However, I would rather not join the club, if at all posiible.

Try and stop the abuse before it starts. No, is not a bad word!

I don't think a situation like this is an "either/or" (Don't touch me vs pole defense). I can well imagine a person who 1) Default mode is thinking the best of locals met on Camino; 2) Default mode in a trying situation is a feeling of helplessness due to language. I can understand that speaking a firm "Don't touch me" in the offenders own language would empower the victim to go to the next step of defense. The ability to convey her position gives her the satisfaction of knowing she's done all she could to discourage this behavior and some of us need that before resorting to violence.

This is neither about 'thinking the best of locals' versus 'resorting to violence'.
There are many shades of grey and options in between. The main point is about keeping safe in a vulnerable position, and more keeping safe specifically for women. Awareness and self-defence start long before the point of having to resort to force.

Back home, one would not dream of thinking the best of everyone, not would you teach this to your children, or your mother would teach you for that matter.
There is no realistic ground to assume that only good people happen to live in the triangle between Lisbon, Santiago de Compostela and St JeandPP.
How is that supposed to happen, does the Spanish government select them at the border and somehow manages to keep the bad apples out?

Bradypus posted a link to a recent news story of a sexual assault on a young Korean peregrina near Viana. The girl got into a car of man who promised to drive her to Logroño. She learned the hard way that thinking the best of the locals has its risks, and it might have ended even worse and her knowledge of "do not touch" in any language would not have been of much help. Just as well the Police was nearby.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear all,

I got this private message from a female forum member and was asked to post it on the forum. The title and the text below is hers:

-----------

I experienced two situations on the Caminho Portugues involving excessive unwanted touching by a man. Both occurred while I was hiking alone.
The first occurred between Santarem and Fatima at a station set up by a man with photos. At first the man seemed pleasant but when I resisted his hugs and kisses he did not let go until I became angry and pushed him away.
In this first situation, I was not fearful because I was quite certain I could get away. Honestly, I am not sure I could have gotten away, but he was a smaller older man and I tell myself that I would fight aggressively if necessary.
I wondered if there was a cultural disconnect. If so and if the man at this station is well-intentioned, I hope that some of the peregrinos who are more fluent in Portuguese will explain to him how unpleasant and frightening it is for a woman travelling alone to be touched. In my world, his behavior (especially when he held on after I resisted) would be considered assault.

Much later in the trip I had another incident. I was walking alone. The man was in a farm area. He grabbed both of my arms and kissed me on my cheeks repeatedly. He talked quickly and I could not understand what he was saying. When I tried to push him away, he squeezed my arms tighter. This time I was quite frightened. After several minutes of unpleasantness, he released me and I went on. I spoke to another peregrina who had walked alone that day and she had received similar treatment from this same man.
My hope is that this behavior from these two men will stop if others explain to them that they should not touch any peregrinos without permission and especially no touching of a peregrina travelling alone.
In the meantime, my recommendation to other peregrinas is to be very defensive around men you encounter on the path. Know how to say "do not touch" in Portuguese and Spanish and have your sticks out and ready to use if necessary.
After these two incidents, I decided that another such incident would not occur to me without a fight.
My husband and I walked this route in July. On two different occasions and in two different stages, women reported men masturbating in front of them. At another time, a woman was taunted by two young teens. I recommend that females always keep another pilgrim in sight and to carry mace.

Hello all,
Out walking back to the albergue in Santarem on an empty street with a fellow female pilgrim, we were being followed by a man whom appeared to be a bit threatening...I am a good 30 years older than the young German girl I was with and have traveled alone for many years.
The method I have used in the past and chose to use at this particular time was ...I turned and faced him and proceeded to scream and wave my arms like a totally crazy person, which went on for a good 5 minutes before he realized I was too nuts to deal with and walked away looking puzzled.
I have used my crazy routine for many years now, it works for me....best wishes for all you women
Stay Strong Stand Tall
Best wishes !
Eliza

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We, the Portuguese, touch a little bit more than other cultures.
We will kiss each other on the cheek even if we are meeting for the first time BUT we dont go around grabbing, kissing and hugging random people on the street.

That behavior is not acceptable even for Portuguese standards.

If you can, report them! Even if legal action can be taken maybe some "social" action will solve the problem at some level.

Some other words that may help you are "Pare!" (Stop!) and "Socorro" or "Ajuda" (Help!)

Hello all,
Out walking back to the albergue in Santarem on an empty street with a fellow female pilgrim, we were being followed by a man whom appeared to be a bit threatening...I am a good 30 years older than the young German girl I was with and have traveled alone for many years.
The method I have used in the past and chose to use at this particular time was ...I turned and faced him and proceeded to scream and wave my arms like a totally crazy person, which went on for a good 5 minutes before he realized I was too nuts to deal with and walked away looking puzzled.
I have used my crazy routine for many years now, it works for me....best wishes for all you women
Stay Strong Stand Tall
Best wishes !
Eliza
Congratulations! I’ve long wanted to try that technique the next time I’m approached at an intersection by one of those ‘squeegie’ guys planning to clean my windshield.

Sick, sick, sick . . . and reading about a young lady accepting a ride and getting into a car [with a complete stranger, and in a foreign land] made me sick too. Common Sense Wanted! Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
At another time, a woman was taunted by two young teens. I recommend that females always keep another pilgrim in sight and to carry mace.
People have asked in other threads if mace is legal in Spain.
It is definitely illegal in much of the EU though not entirely in Spain.
Here is the definitive list.
That said, I cannot imagine carrying mace on the Camino, and feel it's totally in opposition to the spirit of the way.

I'm not saying don't protect yourself. Nor am I talking from a bubble of denial - I'm a woman who often walks the Camino alone, and I have had several occasions to feel unsafe: being followed by a car on a lonely road outside of Viana, or being kissed (yuck) by an older gentleman in Castrojerez, and once on the meseta there was a guy who thought I might enjoy seeing his privates (double-yuck).

So from that place I would say please, please ~ leave the mace at home, but:
  • Trust your gut about safety and if you feel unsafe, do not walk alone.
  • On more remote parts of the more well-traveled caminos, try to walk within sight of other people.
  • Keep your wits about you - this is not some spiritual la-la land, but the real world with it's fair share of creeps and villains. So do not leave your common sense at home, and know how to defend yourself if you need to. Don't get paranoid, but also don't assume it could never happen to you.
And report report report. (Reading this Korean pilgrim's sad story gives me goosebumps - this might be the same guy who followed me and so I really wish I had said something.)

This thread sadly shows that the Camino is not completely safe. It never was.
But it also shows how to respond to harm with wisdom, love, and forgiveness. (@The World My Village, you are an inspiration to many of us. Long may you continue to walk in peace!)

I am very sorry for all of this.
The Portuguese Associations are working with the Portuguese Government to find a way to mitigate the problem, it is impossible to completely eliminate it.
A very loud NO or STOP is totally understood by anyone in Portugal and Spain, no need to go in more intelectual conversations. The louder the better. A whistle is a great help, lots of backpacks have one on the chest strap. If not, buy one. Again, the louder the better. Please, ALWAYS report the incident, to the Police or at least to the person on the Albergue or Hotel or wherever you will stay, even if there where no real danger, exhibitionists are to be taken care by the authorities too.
I need to know (really need) where was the second incident. "Much later in the trip I had another incident. I was walking alone. The man was in a farm area. He grabbed both of my arms and kissed me on my cheeks repeatedly."
Portugal? Spain? Near what town? It is very important to have those informations so I can pass them up.
I know it is not easy, but please try to remember (and report) everything. Where? How old he looked like? His clothes? Hair? Was he walking, on bike, on a car? Etc etc etc, everything can be important, sometimes it's a small detail that provide the clue about him. Try to write everything, the sooner the better. I know this is easy to say here, but terrible to do. You will be helping other women.
Bom Caminho

Dear all,

-----------

For some years in the 80s I was a partner in the largest martial arts center in Los Angeles. We provided self defense classes to people referred to us by the Los Angeles Rape Crisis Center on a pro bono basis. During this time I worked with many people who had been violated, from whom I heard horror stories. Most of these people said they would fight to the death rather than allow themselves to be violated again. I’ve worked in Europe, including Spain and Portugal, off and on for over forty years. I now live in Europe, and have for the last ten years. My wife and I traveled the Camino in 2015. I offer some of my background so that you will know where my comments come from.

The Camino is not Disneyland, or a mystical paradise where people of ill intent do not exist.

“He grabbed both of my arms and kissed me on my cheeks repeatedly. He talked quickly and I could not understand what he was saying. When I tried to push him away, he squeezed my arms tighter. This time I was quite frightened.”

At this point you have been physically assaulted and are morally correct to defend yourself by whatever means necessary.

“After these two incidents, I decided that another such incident would not occur to me without a fight.”

This is a rational response. I see other posts that offer various kinds of advice, from pepper spray to screaming, many of them more concerned about the legalities of self defense than the realities.

The laws and regulations concerning self defense in Europe are a confusing patchwork that varies from country to country, region to region, town to town, and which make no sense whatever. It is not possible to defend oneself from physical attack in Europe without violating a law or regulation in some place or another. Few of those laws and regulations are actually enforced. Enforcement is up to decisions made by the individual police officer. Those decisions will vary from officer to officer, and most importantly, according to his perception of you and the situation. If you have been attacked, or perceive an imminent attack, you are morally justified in defending yourself by whatever means necessary. Let your judgement and sense of danger be your guide. Defend your person, at the level that’s a reasonable response to the threat, or become a victim. Let the legalities sort themselves out after the fact.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am very sorry for all of this.
The Portuguese Associations are working with the Portuguese Government to find a way to mitigate the problem, it is impossible to completely eliminate it.
A very loud NO or STOP is totally understood by anyone in Portugal and Spain, no need to go in more intelectual conversations. The louder the better. A whistle is a great help, lots of backpacks have one on the chest strap. If not, buy one. Again, the louder the better. Please, ALWAYS report the incident, to the Police or at least to the person on the Albergue or Hotel or wherever you will stay, even if there where no real danger, exhibitionists are to be taken care by the authorities too.
I need to know (really need) where was the second incident. "Much later in the trip I had another incident. I was walking alone. The man was in a farm area. He grabbed both of my arms and kissed me on my cheeks repeatedly."
Portugal? Spain? Near what town? It is very important to have those informations so I can pass them up.
I know it is not easy, but please try to remember (and report) everything. Where? How old he looked like? His clothes? Hair? Was he walking, on bike, on a car? Etc etc etc, everything can be important, sometimes it's a small detail that provide the clue about him. Try to write everything, the sooner the better. I know this is easy to say here, but terrible to do. You will be helping other women.
Bom Caminho

I believe (95% sure) the second incident occurred somewhere between Ponte de Lima and Fontoura, although there is a small possibility that it occurred in the day or two prior. I know that it occurred before Fontoura because that is the last place that we stayed with the other peregrina (Anne or Anna from the Seattle area) who had experienced similar treatment. I am a profoundly non-visual person and I would not be able to identify the person if I saw him in a line-up. He was not a young person -- my guess is that he is in the 50-65 year age group. I think he was of average build for a Portuguese man of that age. His initial approach was very friendly and talkative. After he had hold of both of my arms he was more aggressive -- in terms of the hold, as well as the volume and speed of his speech. After what seemed like a long time (although it was probably only a couple of minutes), I reached into my pockets and tried to give him money. (I thought that perhaps that was his goal -- we had encountered a rather aggressive panhandler in Ponte de Lima the night before.) There was a short continued confusing struggle of sorts but he did not take the money and he then let me go. I wondered briefly if he really did not understand my panic until he saw that I was offering him money to get away. My recollection of the location is that he was in a rural farm area and he was positioned where he could see quite a ways in front and behind so that he could tell that my fellow peregrinos were far enough ahead that they would not be able to see him when he grabbed me. I was walking with other peregrinos that day but had simply fallen a bit behind when this occurred.

I appreciate all the wonderful comments and suggestions others have shared.

As a now-61-year-old woman who has always loved to do many things alone (hike, bike, swim, generally be out and about in the world -- often alone), I have encountered my fair share of challenges over the years, some significantly worse than what happened in Portugal this year. Although walking with another peregrino offers much protection, I hope that is not the only answer. For me to experience the Camino deeply, I hope to be able to continue to walk alone at least some of the time. This was my fourth Camino and I have walked alone a majority of the kilometers covered; these incidents were the first problems I have encountered. In the future I plan to be able to clearer in my interactions with strangers on the Camino. If a man still touches me after I have clearly said no, then I will know to defend myself and fight back without the confusion I felt in these two instances.

Thanks to all for your support. Buen Camino!

When Denise Thiem was killed...her family's persistence resulted in articles in major news outlets such as The NY Times. These articles IMO put pressure on the Govt of Spain to find the perp. It was not just a .o21 percent of the tourists anymore -those on the Camino pilgrim problem! Do you not think that if the major outlets started running articles abt men exposing themselves "legally" and masterbating in front of women on the Camino that it would not have an impact on the govt??

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When Denise Thiem was killed...her family's persistence resulted in articles in major news outlets such as The NY Times. These articles IMO put pressure on the Govt of Spain to find the perp. It was not just a .o21 percent of the tourists anymore -those on the Camino pilgrim problem! Do you not think that if the major outlets started running articles abt men exposing themselves "legally" and masterbating in front of women on the Camino that it would not have an impact on the govt??

You may be relieved to know that the Spanish authorities identified the suspect almost immediately - among about thirty other men who were known to habitually harass peregrinas in the Astorga area - but for legal and other reasons chose not to reveal the fact that they had done so. The NYT was of little or no relevance to the developments in this case.

Almost every male on this forum will state that they would take immediate forceful action if a stranger touched them or grabbed them in any way while walking on the camino (or elsewhere). The amount of force or violence used may be tempered a bit by the circumstances or the stranger involved....but a man would very seldom hesitate for a minute to respond.

It seems (to me) that women have a natural instinct to hesitate to use force immediately.

I would submit that every women who will be walking alone start to mentally prepare themselves to respond very strongly to any unwanted touch or advance.
I am aware that men will usually be bigger and stronger....but an immediate and confident response will be a huge deterrent to most of these dirt bags. They normally look for victims they can control and are not prepared to deal with a strong individual.

Use your sticks, turn quickly and hit him with your backpack (we have all been hit like this accidently) , kick hard...shout and show anger. Just do it quickly and without any politeness or hesitation.
Call the Police and report it.

The popularity of the Camino routes has sadly attracted the bottom dwellers of humanity, also.

The popularity of the Camino routes has sadly attracted the bottom dwellers of humanity, also.
among about thirty other men who were known to habitually harass peregrinas in the Astorga area
30?! I'm not at totally naive, but that is a shocking number. And Astorga cannot be the only place...by inference, there must be many others. The mind boggles.
Alas, we have to stop being innocent.

And thank you, @grayland, for the reminder about unhesitating and decisive response. For those of us who have been strongly conditioned to be nice, that is not the 'default setting.'
Please take care out there everyone...
And Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will be traveling with my husband and a group of 4 other women. I will remind them we all need to use the buddy system. I am wondering the most effective words for: "NO!", "don't touch me", "STOP!" "No thank you",
On the other side of the spectrum, what is the best reply to Bom Caminho from some one not walking (a resident, shop keeper etc). "Please" and "thank you" and "you are welcome" go a long ways in civil situations and I want to be civil!

I will be traveling with my husband and a group of 4 other women. I will remind them we all need to use the buddy system. I am wondering the most effective words for: "NO!", "don't touch me", "STOP!" "No thank you",
On the other side of the spectrum, what is the best reply to Bom Caminho from some one not walking (a resident, shop keeper etc). "Please" and "thank you" and "you are welcome" go a long ways in civil situations and I want to be civil!

No es No! Police! good ones to remember!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is M.J. (Mary Joy) -- the person who started this string. Thanks to Grayland for her support. I agree!

Using the buddy system should be all you need, if you don't mind staying with others. My issue is that I love to walk alone. Even on the many days during which I had friends nearby, I often would spend a good part of the day a few hundred meters ahead or behind my group. And, almost all the time (with the exception of the examples noted in my initial post), the locals were absolutely wonderful.

I hope that you do not close yourself off from interacting with the many supportive people you will find along the way. On all of my Caminos, I have felt cared for by so many -- locals and peregrinos. I can't tell from your post whether you will be in Spain or Portugal (yes? because you used Bom Caminho?) on your walk. I recommend Google Translate to create a list of words and phrases in whichever language you will need. It would be great if you can study the local language (e.g., Pimsleur has a great set for European Portuguese and for Spanish and there are many on-line tools that can be used -- Duolingo is addicting), even a little bit. You can also download a dictionary for the local language and use Google translate. Google translate was essential for me when I needed to convey something more complicated (e.g., at the pharmacy).

In Portugal, my typical response to "Bom Caminho" from someone who was not a peregrino was "Obrigada!" (thank you!) (or Obrigado! if you are a man).

"Don't touch me!" is "não me toque!" in Portuguese and "no me toques!" in Spanish.

Bom Caminho!

Good day!

I am a week returned from my Portuguese Camino. It was an experience I am still now processing, but need to share that towards the end of my walk on the Portuguese side, up in the hills, there was an older man with a cow and some sheep - who was talking to me in Portuguese and did insist on kissing me on both cheeks. I did not feel threatened, but a younger woman also traveling alone did feel very uncomfortable when she came upon the same man that day. Unfortunately I did not mark down where this happened in my journal - but I would say to be aware and alert on the rural hills. I know I read a thread on this subject before, most likely the same man.

Bom Caminho!

Good day!

I am a week returned from my Portuguese Camino. It was an experience I am still now processing, but need to share that towards the end of my walk on the Portuguese side, up in the hills, there was an older man with a cow and some sheep - who was talking to me in Portuguese and did insist on kissing me on both cheeks. I did not feel threatened, but a younger woman also traveling alone did feel very uncomfortable when she came upon the same man that day. Unfortunately I did not mark down where this happened in my journal - but I would say to be aware and alert on the rural hills. I know I read a thread on this subject before, most likely the same man.

Bom Caminho!

The Portuguese are affectionate, expressive, and kissing people!
I've lived with it all my life.
I talk with my hands waving in the air and often people think I'm angry when I'm just expressing myself. lol!

In our family, even fathers hug and kiss their children on the mouth.
So often, people who are not used to this show of affection can be quite uncomfortable.
My Vietnamese daughter in law is still trying to adjust after 15 years - in their family, people don't touch or hug.

As long as no inappropriate touching was attempted, the old guy was probably just blessing you as a pilgrim, and I'm happy you were not uncomfortable.

However, if the hands go where they're not invited, a quick slap across the face or a bonk on the head with my walking stick would be MY response!

(Another consideration (not excusing behavior, just perhaps explaining) is that, at least in OUR family, the older Portuguese generation is definitely a male-dominated culture. My grandmother was forced to marry my grandfather at age 14-15 simply because her dad caught them laughing in the barn. My grandfather worked on the ranch, he was milking the cows one morning. She was gathering eggs, walked by, he said something funny and made her laugh. Great Grandpa heard it and boom! They were married. Neither of them were very happy about it, though they stayed together until his death some 60 years later. And he continued to make her laugh . . . I often heard her complain that she and her sister had to do what her brother said when the father wasn't around. It really pissed her off. For an older fellow who probably doesn't have internet and still lives in the past, a woman walking alone may signal (in his small, male-dominant world) that she is a "loose" woman. Wrong or right, it's something to be aware of. )

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You may be relieved to know that the Spanish authorities identified the suspect almost immediately - among about thirty other men who were known to habitually harass peregrinas in the Astorga area - but for legal and other reasons chose not to reveal the fact that they had done so. The NYT was of little or no relevance to the developments in this case.

Wow.. 30 men known to be harrassing pilgrims in the Astorga area?
I never heard of this number.
I guess in all these years, I've been lucky as hell to have missed them.
Or too ugly and old. :rolleyes:;)

But seriously, 30 men?
Is that a fact?
I'm shocked.

Good day!

Bom Caminho!
This is M.J. I suspect that this is the same man who grabbed and kissed me, and another woman walking alone.
Good day!

Bom Caminho!
M.J. continuing -- as noted above, the man who grabbed and kissed me and another woman in October was between Ponte de Lima and Fontoura (I think, as noted above in a prior post). Does that make sense in terms of your situation?
I hope another woman can pinpoint the exact location and report it. Whether this is culturally acceptable in Portugal or not, it is frightening and discouraging to peregrinas (especially those of us who may walk through his area alone). If the authorities speak to the man and he is not a creep, I assume he will stop. Thanks for posting your experience.

This is M.J. I suspect that this is the same man who grabbed and kissed me, and another woman walking alone.

M.J. continuing -- as noted above, the man who grabbed and kissed me and another woman in October was between Ponte de Lima and Fontoura (I think, as noted above in a prior post). Does that make sense in terms of your situation?
I hope another woman can pinpoint the exact location and report it. Whether this is culturally acceptable in Portugal or not, it is frightening and discouraging to peregrinas (especially those of us who may walk through his area alone). If the authorities speak to the man and he is not a creep, I assume he will stop. Thanks for posting your experience.

It isn't culturally acceptable. And even if it was, why should you agree? Unless of course you concur with the idea that a woman cannot decide who touches her and is obliged to let any male stranger touch her as he pleases. Did that same man kiss any male solo pilgrim I wonder? No one has come forward sofar.

FYI Portugal and Spain have ratified the the Istanbul Convention of 2011, a Council of Europe convention against violence against women, which refers explicitly to sexual harassment. According to Article 40 of the Convention, stating that "any form of unwanted verbal, non-verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature with the purpose or effect of violating the dignity of a person (…) is subject to criminal or other legal sanction."

Now you don't have to run to the courts, but stand up for yourself, use your poles to create a distance and report the incident to the Police.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Please view all of my comments on this. I started the thread and agree with you that it is not acceptable in any way. Another person recently commented that some Portuguese men may believe this behavior is culturally acceptable; the comment in my last point is that, even if a man has such a belief, it is not acceptable. I hope you will read the complete thread.

I believe I may have encountered this same man. I was en route from Ponte de Lima to Rubiaes. I was walking alone. He was an older man, maybe 60ish. He started talking to me and I told him I didn't speak Portuguese (all my responses were in Portuguese). He followed me, peppering me with questions. I understood that he asked if I was German and I replied that I was American. He told me I was very beautiful. I tersely said thank you, then he grabbed onto both my arms and said he just wanted to kiss me, pulling me towards him and trying to get his face to mine. Thankfully, I had seen this thread before I left and pulled away yelling "Nao me toca!" and wielded my one pole towards him. That got him to let get go of me and I walked away as quickly as I could in rain, with my pack on. Certainly nothing horrible, but it really shook me. I had probably 6 inches and 30 pounds on him, but having my personal space invaded and being grabbed on, whilst all alone, scared me. This was my only bad encounter along The Way. Thankfully, about five minutes later, I passed a shed where two men were waiting out the rain. They greeted me and commented I was shaking and was I ok? I told them what had happened and they invited me into the shelter, offered me a seat and some water (even though I had my own). The worst and the best, I guess! Regardless, I think this guy's MO is to creep on women walking alone....

Anna -
This is M.J. the person who started this string. I am so sorry to hear what happened. It does sound like the same guy.
Would you please report this to the police? I wish I had; now even more when I hear that he is still doing.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
I am so glad you were prepared to push him away with words and poles.
Buen Caminho.

P.s. like you, I have not had trouble on my five Camino trips other than the incidents in my posts. I did another Camino this year on my own. No problems. I hope that somehow the authorities can get this guy to stop.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I believe I may have encountered this same man. I was en route from Ponte de Lima to Rubiaes. I was walking alone. He was an older man, maybe 60ish. He started talking to me and I told him I didn't speak Portuguese (all my responses were in Portuguese). He followed me, peppering me with questions. I understood that he asked if I was German and I replied that I was American. He told me I was very beautiful. I tersely said thank you, then he grabbed onto both my arms and said he just wanted to kiss me, pulling me towards him and trying to get his face to mine. Thankfully, I had seen this thread before I left and pulled away yelling "Nao me toca!" and wielded my one pole towards him. That got him to let get go of me and I walked away as quickly as I could in rain, with my pack on. Certainly nothing horrible, but it really shook me. I had probably 6 inches and 30 pounds on him, but having my personal space invaded and being grabbed on, whilst all alone, scared me. This was my only bad encounter along The Way. Thankfully, about five minutes later, I passed a shed where two men were waiting out the rain. They greeted me and commented I was shaking and was I ok? I told them what had happened and they invited me into the shelter, offered me a seat and some water (even though I had my own). The worst and the best, I guess! Regardless, I think this guy's MO is to creep on women walking alone....
So sorry to hear of this frightening encounter. Glad you are ok.
My husband and I walked the CP from Porto in late November 2018. We both agreed that a woman walking alone could be vulnerable because we saw few pilgrims —some days none—many places were beautiful but very isolated.

...then he grabbed onto both my arms and said he just wanted to kiss me, pulling me towards him and trying to get his face to mine. ... Certainly nothing horrible, but it really shook me.

I dunno, it sounds pretty horrible to me. I am glad you reported this to some locals and they could see how bothered you were. I encourage anyone who encounters unacceptable behaviour like this to report it to the police in the next village or town they get to.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.