• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nailclippers, Nail Scissors & Razor as Carry-on Items

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hi, if I take nailclippers, nail scissors and disposable bic razor in my carry-on bag onto a flight, do I have to tell security BEFORE it goes through the security check? I believe they are all allowed as carry-on items, but not sure if I have to declare them or not, as with fluids and creams. Would like to hear your personal experiences. I’ll be flying Air France. Thanks. Jill

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Jill

My experience is that the aforementioned items will not be allowed on as carry-on. Having said that things could have changed within the last year. It might be advisable to check with the airport prior to departure, or be on the safe side and put it in hold luggage.
If you are only taking hand luggage then you could;d leave those items at home and replace them when you get to France.

I have taken disposable razor blades often in carry-on luggage.....never declared them and never had any problem. I haven't tried nail scissors and have always been curious if they will get through airport security!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, I always take my pack into the plane with me and have got nail scissors, clippers and a cheapo Bic razor through every time. I travel RyanAir and EasyJet, mostly. I checked before our last camino and you are allowed scissors and knives with up to a 5 cm blade, if I remember correctly - more than enough to take nail scissors (which are useful for so many things!). Best thing to do is ask when you check in - there is normally a poster there telling you in detail what you can and cannot take on board. Also nail scissors or clippers don't cost much after security if you choose to do it that way.

Hi, if I take nailclippers, nail scissors and disposable bic razor in my carry-on bag onto a flight, do I have to tell security BEFORE it goes through the security check? I believe they are all allowed as carry-on items, but not sure if I have to declare them or not, as with fluids and creams. Would like to hear your personal experiences. I’ll be flying Air France. Thanks. Jill
Have you checked Air France's restrictions for carry-on items? I have found airlines do differ considerably. I'm flying British Air and their carry-on restrictions are very precise. Good luck and Buen Camino.

In my experience, only computers and liquids/gels must be removed from your bag and "declared" at the security point, and the liquids placed in a clear plastic bag. I have always carried nail clippers and have never declared them. I believe that disposable razors (i.e. blade enclosed in plastic) are the same. Nail scissors are trickier...

The security rules depend more on the country than on the airline. For example, in Canada, the rules and the screening are done by CATSA (Canadian Air Transport Security Agency) for all airlines. They have a very detailed website listing here.

The rules about knives and scissors appear to vary from country to country. CATSA says "cuticle" scissors are OK if the blade measures less than 2.4 cm from the joint (fulcrum) to the tip. The Air France (.ca) site just says that it's prohibited to carry-on "Blades and any sharp, blunt, metallic or non-metallic items that may be used as weapons (for example: nail scissors, razor blades, etc.)." The European security list of prohibited carry-on items includes "knives with blades of more than 6 cm or scissors with blades of more than 6 cm as measured from the fulcrum,

I am travelling Air France too. When I go through security, I won't say anything about my nail clippers or tiny foldable scissors. The blade on the scissors is actually 2.6 cm (sshhh Don't tell anyone) so I will be prepared to remove them and discard them!

On a different topic, @jsalt , I will be leaving SJPP on or about Oct 14 so it is likely you'll pass me before long. Let me know if you like me to add you to the October 2015 thread here.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
In my experience razor and nail clippers ok, nail scissors can be confiscated.

I had a problem on my return flight from Madrid,security camera picked up my nail scissors and under the watchful eyes of two security men I had to empty my bag,hand over the scissors,and take a right roasting for being an idiot or an international threat.

Very many thanks for all your replies, much appreciated. This is the first time I shall try and take my pack (32 litre) as carry-on, with nothing in the hold, so having to rethink certain items that I would normally take. I don’t want to leave them behind if they ARE allowed, but I also don’t want my entire pack turned upside down by security because of one silly little item being picked up on camera. I shall try and remember to report back on what I finally decide to do, and what actually happens.

Thanks for the link to the October thread, C clearly, have posted a message there. You’ll be one day ahead of me, so we may meet up somewhere! Jill

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Top tip: Anything you are unsure about, put it in another see-through bag and keep it easily at hand next to the liquids bag, in the lid of the pack, in your additional (for some carriers) shopping bag or similar. Drag it out and put it in the same plastic tray as the liquids and any electronics you should show them. That way they know you know, it is easily examined, there is no hassle and digging in your pack, no keeping the others waiting. Just a little bag with those nail scissors, that tiger balm you're not sure about (liquid or solid??), the pen with a cork screw, the spice canisters, the USB dictaphone or whatever. Make it easy on everyone. We did and the only comment we got was "Dang, that's good pimenton - where did you get it??"

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.