Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Names to thank in the 2019 guide

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have tried to keep track of everyone who posted or mailed me suggestions for the Invierno guide, but I am sure I have missed some of you. If your name is not on the list, please let me know, because I would like the list of authors to be as complete as possible. Here's what I have so far:

Charrito, KinkyOne, ranthr, ozAnnie, Bad Pilgrim, Tincatinker, Caminka, Alansykes, sabbott, jlsalt, MJB, Omicko, Fares Ismail, Goran Larsson, MikeJS, chinasky, Bimblingalong, Freescot and Econodan

Getting close to completion, so I will be looking for proofreaders soon! Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Looking forward to the new edition since it’s the one we’ll be using in April. My husband is making the maps for us (he made the maps for CSJ Camino Ingles) so I can compare those tracks to your guide.
Thanks for the hard work Laurie!

I have tried to keep track of everyone who posted or mailed me suggestions for the Invierno guide, but I am sure I have missed some of you. If your name is not on the list, please let me know, because I would like the list of authors to be as complete as possible. Here's what I have so far:

Charrito, KinkyOne, ranthr, ozAnnie, Bad Pilgrim, Tincatinker, Caminka, Alansykes, sabbott, jlsalt, MJB, Omicko, Fares Ismail, Goran Larsson, MikeJS, chinasky, Bimblingalong, Freescot and Econodan

Getting close to completion, so I will be looking for proofreaders soon! Buen camino, Laurie
I'm making a list as I go along and was planning to pm you with it once I get to SdC, rather than clog things up with a running commentary.

Goodness, the view from the Monte de Faro this morning was spectacular, with most of the clouds beneath one. But in yesterday's rain it would have been a different story. And quite a lot of snow on the horizon (Padornelo in particular, my usual entry to Galicia, looked very white) , so the Invierno's microclimate has certainly paid off for me.

_20181125_152749.JPG

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I know we were involved in a back-and-forth early in 2018. Not seeking approbation, but did I help?

Thanks

Tom

I know we were involved in a back-and-forth early in 2018. Not seeking approbation, but did I help?

Thanks

Tom

Oh, Tom, but of course! I didn’t print out long excerpts from you, but you were very helpful. :)And seeing your name here makes me remember a question I wanted to pose to you and @OzAnnie. I got the sense that for the two of you especially, the stages you decided on were too hard, and the guide didn’t do a good enough job of alerting you to the fact that a “typical” (“average”?) walker would not necessarily go with the stages you chose. In hindsight, or if you were to do it again, would you guys (Annie,I hope you are listening) do stages differently?

And I know that people feel funny about saying, hey, I was involved in that, why did you leave my name out. Come on, don’t be shy, I want the guide to list as many contributors as possible to encourage future walkers to recognize the broad forum ownership and be part of next year’s efforts. So there is a method to my madness, and I hope others will let me know if I forgot them!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm making a list as I go along and was planning to pm you with it once I get to SdC, rather than clog things up with a running commentary.

Goodness, the view from the Monte de Faro this morning was spectacular, with most of the clouds beneath one. But in yesterday's rain it would have been a different story. And quite a lot of snow on the horizon (Padornelo in particular, my usual entry to Galicia, looked very white) , so the Invierno's microclimate has certainly paid off for me.

View attachment 49195

Wow, a beautiful view from the top. I have enjoyed days like those, when all four provinces of Galicia are apparently in sight.

Where is the picture taken from? I’mtrying to figure out what the road is and what that building in the back is.

Alan, whenever you have the time,it is fine. But your “running commentaries” are never clogs, they are much enjoyed by a lot of us. ;) The “publication date” is scheduled for 2019, so we have a lot of time!

I’d be happy to proofread, especially as I’m considering walking the Invierno next year anyway. (In case credentials help, I have a degree in journalism and have written style guides, been an editor for news services at Olympic Games level etc.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Looking forward to this Laurie, as I will have good use for it next year.

Wow, a beautiful view from the top. I have enjoyed days like those, when all four provinces of Galicia are apparently in sight.

Where is the picture taken from? I’mtrying to figure out what the road is and what that building in the back is.

!
Hi, it's from the mirador of Monte Faro (just under the fire lookout station), and the building on the left is the Ermita de Nosa Señora do Monte do Faro.

I dodged a bullet today, as it started pouring with rain shortly after 3pm, just as I was tucking into an outstanding caldo gallego in the very nice Carpinteiras hostal in Rodeiro.

I’d be happy to proofread, especially as I’m considering walking the Invierno next year anyway. (In case credentials help, I have a degree in journalism and have written style guides, been an editor for news services at Olympic Games level etc.)
I am afraid that you may be totally overqualified for our meager effort.;) But I will be happy to send it to you and any other volunteers when it’s ready. I’m aiming for about January 10-15.

It’s always helpful to have people read it who haven’t walked because their perspective is very different from that of someone who can visualize and remember the places.
Buen camino, and thanks, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Laurie - if I do not see a response from Annie by Saturday I will mention this post to her when I see her at our Sydney Pilgrims Christmas gathering. Cheers

Hi
Just noticed @Saint Mike II ‘s post and scrolled up to see whether he meant this ‘Annie’
I’m in USA still but will be home at end of this week.
My intention was to delve deeper into my memory of this walk much earlier, and then make some of those earlier thoughts clearer. ‘Good intentions’ they say. I will resume those ‘intentions ‘ next week Laurie.
@OzAnnie. I got the sense that for the two of you especially, the stages you decided on were too hard, and the guide didn’t do a good enough job of alerting you to the fact that a “typical” (“average”?) walker would not necessarily go with the stages you chose. In hindsight, or if you were to do it again, would you guys (Annie,I hope you are listening) do stages differently?
Laurie - if I do not see a response from Annie by Saturday I will mention this post to her when I see her at our Sydney Pilgrims Christmas gathering. Cheers

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just now saw the query from Laurie. I need to think about this and consult my notes and photos. A general note is that I would try to do shorter stages. However on the Invierno this is difficult because of the general lack of a well-developed albergue and hostal 'network.' It ain't' the Frances, or even the Portuguese...

I will be back with more thoughts...

Just now saw the query from Laurie. I need to think about this and consult my notes and photos. A general note is that I would try to do shorter stages. However on the Invierno this is difficult because of the general lack of a well-developed albergue and hostal 'network.' It ain't' the Frances, or even the Portuguese...

I will be back with more thoughts...

Thanks, t2 —did you see how @alaskadiver has figured things out?https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...stages-for-april-camino-invierno-route.59121/
She does have one day with a 7 km taxi ride, but that could easily be avoided by doing the walk and train “trick” to Montefurado and back like @ranthr (I think) did.

BTW, I was thinking of saying something like:
Some experienced peregrinos who walked the Invierno this year found the “standard 10 day walk” to be more difficult than the daily kms would suggest. If in doubt, plan more days, especially if you hope to visit As Médulas and the castle of Cornatel.

You are correct about the 10-day plan being overly ambitious. It is not about the distances. It is more, IMHO, about the constant up and down...

In my experience, you can plan 25 - 30 km days on the Meseta or rolling terrain. However, my primary takeaway from the Invierno is that, because of the constant up and down changes, 20 - 25 km is more reasonable.

Personally, I would set 20 km as the upper distance limit. But, everyone is different. I do not handle climbs as well as I once did.

This has a ripple effect on lodging, etc. Your 12-day plan is the minimum time I would recommend. The overall distance from Ponferrada to Santiago is about (rounding) 260 km. This works out to an average of just under 22 km daily.

Another point is that Monforte de Lemos is the last large town outside the 100 km minimum distance for the Compostela. I might recommend planning an extra rest day there, preparatory to the final 110 km (+/-) push into Santiago.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks, t2 —did you see how @alaskadiver has figured things out?https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...stages-for-april-camino-invierno-route.59121/
She does have one day with a 7 km taxi ride, but that could easily be avoided by doing the walk and train “trick” to Montefurado and back like @ranthr (I think) did.

Some experienced peregrinos who walked the Invierno this year found the “standard 10 day walk” to be more difficult than the daily kms would suggest. If in doubt, plan more days, especially if you hope to visit As Médulas and the castle of Cornatel.

I just checked. Her plan is great! But, I asked if they had a tentative lodging plan. To me, that is the key. I like to know here I am staying at the end of the day, before I get there... A flaw in my character...

@peregrina2000 , I think the walk from A Rua to Montefurado was the best part of the walk from A Rua to Quiroga! Very nice path down to Montefurado! May be it was the weather!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back