• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nana and Meg on the Caminho Portugues

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Such wonderful news! Would love to hear your opinions about these early stages, because as you know, there's a lot of debate about road walking, asphalt, etc. Wishing you a wonderful Caminho Coleen! Are there many others at the albergue with you?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Look after those feet ladies!

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Meg and I are in Alpriate at the albergue with Natasha the hospitalera who is awesome! What a wonderful start to our journey!
Seems that there is less asphalt, since a couple of years when you start from Lisbonne., according to the new 2017 guide from Éditions Lepère, which if it's real, it's great. In any case, have a good camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We will be following your journey! We leave for Lisbon on October 14th and are having second thoughts about the wisdom of walking that late in the year.

Help!
Meg has hurt her hip badly and we need to use pack transfer for a while. The lady at our hostel in Vila Franka de Xira Does not speak English and when we used google translation she still didn't know. is there a phone number to a transport here in Portugal?

I'm sorry to hear that Coleen, I hope she has a speedy recovery. The only bag transfer services I can find offer service from Porto to Santiago but none from Lisbon. The main one I know of is Tuitrans.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What a rough start. Having the granddaughter be the one steuggling physically was probably the last thing you could have expected.

Regarding luggage transport, if Meg's hip is badly hurt, perhaps walking even without a pack is not the best of ideas. Also, I am not aware of any mochilero services before Porto. Why not head to the beach for a few days of physio in the sea and then walk again when she is able to do so with her pack?

Very sorry to read this - hope she'll get better!

I suggest you first follow peregrina2000's good advice and contact VIA Lustiana

Searching this forum and elsewhere, it is hard to find anything that resembles bag transfer from Lisbon. I discovered hike-tech (link below), but haven't seen them mentioned many places. From their website and from their booking-form it looks like they transfer from Lisbon (and Vila Franca de Xira!) using specific hotels/pensions, but few seems to have used them here on the forum so it might be a bit of a gamble :-(

http://hike-tech.com/ or https://www.facebook.com/hiketechworld/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So I took Meg to the hospital Monday and she has pulled a muscle in her hip, and after X-ray we saw there was no break or crack. We trained to Porto and got her muscle relaxers and pain pills then we will stay for 2 days and rest. Tui Trans will take the bag for a week and we will see after that. Thank you for all the prayers and goo thoughts. Obrigada!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Glad that you have gotten a medical diagnosis. It's very good news that nothing is broken or torn! Meg is lucky to have you along with her, Coleen. The granny-grandkid time is precious no matter what the circumstances, though I know the walking would be an added benefit.

Porto is a lovely city, if you can make it across the river to the park on top of Gaia, by all means take a picnic and soak up the view (my picture to the left is from that spot) -- one of the most beautiful "built environment" scenes anywhere!

Buen camino to abuelita y su nieta, Laurie

That's good news Coleen, thanks for keeping us updated. Do enjoy Porto it is a wonderful city and I can't wait to visit again.

Good to read that - hoping for a speedy recovery! Relaxing in Porto - that is difficult as it is a wonder to walk around in! But there are many nice places to rest too.
Looing forward to more updates - and wise to get the bags transported :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How are you two doing Coleen?

Such wonderful news! Would love to hear your opinions about these early stages, because as you know, there's a lot of debate about road walking, asphalt, etc. Wishing you a wonderful Caminho Coleen! Are there many others at the albergue with you?
I walked the Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago May/June last year and I loved every moment of it. Yes, there is some road walking but not much more than the Frances route.
I am 77 years old and negotiated the whole journey on foot without any major problems. Very few pilgrims before Porto and many thereafter. However, I would definitely advise all to begin at Lisbon as there are many lovely places to see before Porto.

Tomorrow Meg and I will finally reach Santiago!
It has been a long journey and it is far from over. We still have a month left in Europe so we will definitely do Finistre and Muxia. Perhaps we will go back and the Spiritual Variante that I wanted but we missed. Only time will tell.
No 2 Camino's are alike, and I think I was learning about relationships and acceptance on this one. You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes,
You get what you need.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
By now you must be there already, so congrats to you both, Coleen!
Relationships and acceptance? Now that sounds like an 'interesting' time. ;)
I'm sure you both have stories to tell, and hopefully to laugh about...in the end.
Edit...now looking at the rest of the thread after having been away from the internet. Extra congratulations all around! Quite the journey.

Last edited:
You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes,
You get what you need.[/QUOTE]

Opening song for multi-generational relationship movie, The Big Chill. Hope you two found your way as good as the movie was sans hard drugs and Kevin Costner in the casket.
Buen camino as you walk on.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes,
You get what you need.

Opening song for multi-generational relationship movie, The Big Chill. Hope you two found your way as good as the movie was sans hard drugs and Kevin Costner in the casket.
Buen camino as you walk on.[/QUOTE]
Ahhhhhhhhhh @nycwalking , not just the opening song but the whole The Big Chill by Lawrence Kasdan is all about relationship - it's one of my favorite movies and as a film director I've seen thousands of them in my lifetime!!!
You should watch this one if you hadn't had a chance yet: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429052/?ref_=nv_sr_3

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back