• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Napoleon pass in May

Dermot Casey

Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago to Finisterre 2011, Camino primitivo 2012, Oviedo to Santiago de Compostella 2013, Camino Frances May 2015
Hi everyone, I have walked various sections of the Camino over the past 4 years but this coming year on May 21st 2015 my wife and I are being a little ambitious in walking from SJPP to Santiago carrying an 8ft by 5 ft cross/crucifix weighing around 11 kg. I was proposing to attempt crossing over the Napoleon path with it. My question "is this possible?" as I understand there is some scrambling over rocks on the higher sections or should I be a little bit more responsible and take the lower route which I have read is easier. Your experience and advice would be appreciated.
Best wishes
Dermot

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Arn, I can't wait to put my Western European head behind me and start focusing on the camino and all that comes with walking it. I just don't want to be to confident and chew off more than we can cope with, although we both love a challenge. Dermot

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi everyone, I have walked various sections of the Camino over the past 4 years but this coming year on May 21st 2015 my wife and I are being a little ambitious in walking from SJPP to Santiago carrying an 8ft by 5 ft cross/crucifix weighing around 11 kg. I was proposing to attempt crossing over the Napoleon path with it. My question "is this possible?" as I understand there is some scrambling over rocks on the higher sections or should I be a little bit more responsible and take the lower route which I have read is easier. Your experience and advice would be appreciated.
Best wishes
Dermot
I would think if you could entertain the rest of the trip and pull off the rest of the way then crossing the Napoleon path would be doable.
I do not remember scrambling over rocks, I do remember doing that once on the Norte...but not on the Frances.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The only issue might be the weather. How early in May? Whilst it can snow up there at any time of the year the chances of snow on 1st May are a lot greater than on 31.
Sounds like a great start to your pilgrimage.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The only issue might be the weather. How early in May? Whilst it can snow up there at any time of the year the chances of snow on 1st May are a lot greater than on 31.
Sounds like a great start to your pilgrimage.
Hi St Mike, we plan on arriving SJPP on 20/5/15 leaving the following morning. I would rather a little cool weather to walk in than the heat that Spain is famous for. We are used to the cooler UK weather and rain !!!

I never had to scramble over any rocks on the Napoleon. Just be careful on the way down!
Hi Madam- shepard, thanks for that piece of advice. I will take the less steep option and thanks for putting my mind at ease about rocks
Dermot

When you get to Collado Loepeder (high spot from where you will see Roncesvalles for the first time at a distance), there will be a wooden sign pointing Left or Right for the final 4 kms on to Roncesvalles. TAKE THE RIGHT. It is only 400 meters longer than the left route, but it exponentially easier and less risky. Many pilgrimages have ended on the left route, a steep, loose rocks, treacherous trail. The right route descent is more gradual, better trail and much easier on the knees.

As far as weather, I crossed on 28 May 2011 and got a sunburn. I saw pictures on this forum of people crossing on 28 May 2012 and there were 2 feet of snow, cold and drizzle. The luck of the draw. Ask at the SJPDP Pilgrim's Office the day prior. They get the latest info on the passage condition. Heed their advice; these are local people who know what they are talking about.

Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Best wishes
Dermot

Wow - I can't be the only one curious about this..... but can I ask why? And also, how?

What is your reason for doing this? Is it a charity event?
Is the point to add extra suffering to your walk, for a (personal/inward) religious purpose?
Or is the display of suffering for more evangelical purposes (an outward display to reach or influence others)?
Do y'all intend to take on other ascetic/minimal terms to your camino - like begging for food, or sleeping on church porches?
An 8 ft tall cross is huge! Will it be strapped to your back like a backpack? Does it drag?
I imagine that will keep you hunched over while you walk? How do you expect to sustain that posture for 800km, regardless of the terrain?
Will your wife be hauling all the other gear for 2 people then?
What will you do with the cross if/when you reach Santiago?

Just very curious, trying to imagine......

I did see a small group with a similar cross and there are pictures of the same type of pilgrimage. The group I saw was small...maybe 4 or 5 people..and it appeared that they simply took turns carrying the cross. Not sure how far they were going or what their motives were.
I rather assumed it was a personal conviction and would be private so did not presume to ask.
They had no other outward signs or anything to call attention.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Everyone does their own Camino and I would not presume to question their motives or reasons.

???

I am not questioning their motives or reasons.
I am asking questions about their motives or reasons (and some logistics).
There is a big difference.

The OP posted a question about his unique camino on a public message board.
I am genuinely interested and curious to hear more about it.
Isn't this the place where past pilgrims share and future pilgrims learn?

The OP is free to not respond to my questions.
Or he is free to respond that it is personal and he does not wish to share.
I hope, however, that he chooses to share.
I look forward to learning more.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
???

I am not questioning their motives or reasons.
I am asking questions about their motives or reasons (and some logistics).
There is a big difference.

The OP posted a question about his unique camino on a public message board.
I am genuinely interested and curious to hear more about it.
Isn't this the place where past pilgrims share and future pilgrims learn?

The OP is free to not respond to my questions.
Or he is free to respond that it is personal and he does not wish to share.
I hope, however, that he chooses to share.
I look forward to learning more.
Hi SaltwaterPearl, thanks for your post. As Wayfarer comments "we all walk/ride our own camino"and wouldn't want to offend anybody with our beliefs, although our conviction to undertake the camino Frances stems from walking the Primitivo two years ago where we had a profound experience. Logistically we will be flying with the flat packed cross in the hold from England in a ski bag and pay extra as sports equipment. We walked with the cross from Lugo to Santiago last year which is around 100km working out some of the glitches. To Al the optimist "if anybody wants to steal the cross they will be welcome to lighten our load" There will be many challenges awaiting us while walking this ancient pilgrimage route and that is why I was seeking advice from the the good people of the forum. One of the challenges for us is that we will probably be slow walkers and will arrive late at our destination so there is no guarantee of a bed for the night. That is but a small one but I know my wife will find this difficult relying on the faith of finding a bed. Anyway less of my chatter! D

Wow - I can't be the only one curious about this..... but can I ask why? And also, how?

What is your reason for doing this? Is it a charity event?
Is the point to add extra suffering to your walk, for a (personal/inward) religious purpose?
Or is the display of suffering for more evangelical purposes (an outward display to reach or influence others)?
Do y'all intend to take on other ascetic/minimal terms to your camino - like begging for food, or sleeping on church porches?
An 8 ft tall cross is huge! Will it be strapped to your back like a backpack? Does it drag?
I imagine that will keep you hunched over while you walk? How do you expect to sustain that posture for 800km, regardless of the terrain?
Will your wife be hauling all the other gear for 2 people then?
What will you do with the cross if/when you reach Santiago?

Just very curious, trying to imagine......
So glad you asked as I was so curious to know the same answers. I didn't know how to ask it without sounding like I was questioning in a negative way
when infact it would have been in a positive, learning...sharing way. So glad the poster shared! I had been home about two weeks from my first Camino and worked with a nurse that I had NEVER seen before and have never seen since. Oddly she commented on a "glow" she said that I had and I smiled and said I thought it was the Camino and that I had recently returned from it and was probably still partially there in mind and spirit. She perked up and said "my brother did it on a unicycle"... I hate to admit this but I smiled and said, "WOW, that is Great!", but inside I was thinking , "ya right....". She quickly ran over to Youtube and pulled up all of the videos about him, and he sure did! I think they are from Brazil.

I love telling his story and glad I get to add this one and maybe follow the journey via the forum.
I thought each of these questions as I read the post with no ill motive at all.
The Camino is amazing!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.