• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Napoleon Route Closure ??

Luther

Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
'Just read a post that the Napoleon route had a big snowfall and will be closed for possibly a couple weeks. Can anyone confirm that? If so, will have to cancel my reservation at Orisson on 4/20. 'Sure hope it's open! Come on Spring!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
'Just read a post that the Napoleon route had a big snowfall and will be closed for possibly a couple weeks. Can anyone confirm that? If so, will have to cancel my reservation at Orisson on 4/20. 'Sure hope it's open! Come on Spring!
Don't cancel! This time of year is very fickle up on top of the Napoleon route. It is determined by the Pilgrim office in SJPDP The day I went over it was very sunny but that evening a very nasty storm hit around 1700 & a fellow I had met that day was forced to spend the night at the emergency rock shelter. Like any mountain pass high in elevation it can become bad quick.
That said by late April it becomes warm very quick. So by you booking Orrison you can make that final hump rather quickly & you can read the weather from that point better than one can down in SJPDP. Also you will have the hosts @ Orrison to give you options as well.
Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Luther, at the day you begin your journey visit the Pilgrim office and they will tell you what the weather is like.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Snow is easy. Bring crampons for your boots and a toboggan on which to tow your stuff.

And if you don't know enough about walking in mountains under spring snow conditions ... then don't. Napoleon route isn't the place to learn.

You should be able to see if there is snow on the hills from SJPdP. If the pilgrim office advises that its okay ... then remember that you must still rely on your own good judgement.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back