• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Napoleon Route in October

Goatfarm

Time of past OR future Camino
2018: Frances from SJPdP to SdC
I am planning to leave SJPdP between October 10 to 15 this fall. I realize that weather is unpredictable, but what is the likelihood that the Napoleon Route and Refuge Orisson will be open. I much prefer climbing the Pyrenees than taking the Valcarlos route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
what is the likelihood that the Napoleon Route and Refuge Orisson will be open
Looking at Refuge Orisson's revamped booking webpage, it appears that they are open and accept bookings until October 31, 2023. This will not tell you anything about the conditions of the trail, of course. If it is too bad (I would not expect it, though), they will transport overnight guests to Valcarlos - at least that used to be their policy throughout the years.

See:
https://book.octorate.com/octobook/site/reservation/calendar.xhtml?codice=457597&lang=EN&room=540418

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Taking the Napoleon route? I'd think twice: look at how Napoleon ended.

;)

I did the Napoleon route at that time last year. Orisson was open but I didn’t stay. Stopped there for a coffee. It rained all day and it was quite cold. It was foggy too. Not an easy walk but doable. If you want to stop though, try BORDA. I hear that’s quite good, though I’ve not stayed there.

One never knows but I had a wonderful day crossing October 2018, in fact we had much better weather (blue clear sky) than the first time I went mid July when I could barely see in front of me due to the heavy mist.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
FYI, Orisson closed on Oct 15 last year, which was the day I went from SJPP to Roncevalles. So, last night was the 14th. I am not sure if that indicates anything about this year, although as the very knowledgeable @Katar1na says- they are taking reservations through the end of the month.

Check with the pilgrim office the day before and the day you walk. If it is raining or stormy looking in St. Jean you can take it to the bank conditions will be much worse up on the mountain. I would say that if the office says anything except there will be blue skies all day I would think twice about the Napolean.

Last edited:
In early October, 2013, starting my first Camino, the Pilgrim Office in SJPDP (where it was cloudy but dry), suggested that it was going to be foggy with light drizzle up on the Napoleon route. Before Orison, it started to rain, gently, and continued for a couple of hours. Then the fog rolled in and one had to watch the road closely. Eventually, the fog lifted a bit and then it started to rain very hard. The trail over the very top was 6-8" of muddy muck and the trail (not the road) down the mountain was very slick (mud and wet leaves). Made it safely to Roncevalles, but like weather everywhere, take forecasts with a grain of salt and be prepared for the worst. If in doubt, wait a day, or head up the Valcarlos route.
The only other rainy days during October that year were three days of pouring rain on the meseta and the last day into Santiago. It was a "grand trek" that set the tone for all the wonderful trips that have followed.
Buen Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks everyone. I have flexibility to move the start date to early October which I will do. I hadn't heard of "Borda Refuge", and it looks quite nice and smaller than Orisson on the internet. Bob

Check with the pilgrim office the day before and the day you walk. If it is raining or stormy looking in St. Jean you can take it to the bank conditions will be much worse up on the mountain.

I agree with @lt56ny. I also agree with @C clearly that it is likely that the Napoleon Route will be open. However, it's important to check with the pilgrims office because they may advise against taking the Napoleon Route--even if open--beyond Orrison and Borda due to rain, wind, and/or low visibility.

I walked from SJPP on the 28th of September 2022. I really recommend spending a night at Borda! Their accommodations, services, and communal dinner were among the best I experienced on the Camino Frances. The only drawback of Borda is that it's usually booked up in advance and you need to reserve as early as possible. (I made my reservation in April for my September stay.)

I wish you clear, sunny weather but just be prepared in case the pilgrims office advises otherwise. It may be possible to walk to Borda to spend the night but if the weather is not good the next morning you can always arrange for a taxi to take you back down and around to Roncesvalles.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back