• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Napoleon Way closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayfarer

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2013, 2014.
It has been announced today that the Route Napoleon will remain closed till further notice to accommodate road and trail widening and surfacing, these works could last until November. Route Valcarlos it is then.

Moderator note: check the date of this post 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It has been announced today that the Route Napoleon will remain closed till further notice to accommodate road and trail widening and surfacing, these works could last until November. Route Valcarlos it is then.
We must not allow this to happen!!! Do not touch our Route Napoleon and pour more tarmac on it than there is already. NO!!! Is someone going to start a change.org petition? I will sign it! Today! I promise.

And to think of all of you who are going to miss this wonderful experience of walking the Route Napoleon in May 2022 or September 2022. My heart breaks for you.

Damn, I missed out on walking the Napoleon Route last time. So, it looks like I am walking the Valcarlos route for a second time next month? At least this time I will know to stock up on water at Valcarlos, as there isn't a place to buy any for the next 17KM's. :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Where is the work going to be - we've already booked at Broda - does that mean there will be no access?

I specifically chose this route as my grandson wants to walk over the Pyrenees.

Oh - you had me there for a moment - having just rebooked a flight I was already in stress mode o_Oo_Oo_O

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Express Bourricot is rumoured to offer a helicopter service from the train station in SJPP to Orisson and Borda for an overnight stay with free transport to Valcarlos on the next morning. Backpacks must be less than 5 kg.

Orrison and Broda are rumoured to being demolished to accommodate the road widening so that service may be for Roncesvalles only.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
April fish has a specific meaning in some languages, for example poisson d'avril in French and pesce d'aprile in Italian. In German, when someone believes what they are told on that day, people say April, April! which does not need a word for word translation into English ☺️.

Poisson d'avril !

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@wayfarer I literally had tears in my eyes. "My dream of starting our beloved Camino by walking the Route Napoleon will not happen, at least in 2022." Then I scrolled down. We will all have to think of an appropriate and timely way to pay you back. Good one, and happy April Fool's Day, all!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not funny! I suggest you go back to the original post and edit to say it was a joke. Bett yet, post a retraction and apologize. Some of us here are dependent on the advice and experience of those that have done the Camino and those that are currently doing it. Some of us are investing a lot of time and money to make this dream come true. Posts like this have no place in the forum.

Heavy snow in Roncesvalles as well. Hoping to find trail to Zubiri….. any suggestions
You should not ask a bunch of people on the internet (and perhaps not in this April 1 thread either). Ask the people where you stay in Roncesvalles. And in my humble opinion, if you must walk when a considerable amount of snowfall is announced in the weather forecast for today (April 1) and tomorrow (April 2) at below 1000 m and there are severe weather warnings and it is in all the regional newspapers and you are not certain how to find the trail, then stay put or walk on the main road. And pay attention to the cars. They may slip on the ice and snow on the road.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You should not ask a bunch of people on the internet (and perhaps not in this April 1 thread either). Ask the people where you stay in Roncesvalles. And in my humble opinion, if you must walk when a considerable amount of snowfall is announced in the weather forecast for today and tomorrow at below 1000 m and there are severe weather warnings and it is in all the regional newspapers and you are not certain how to find the trail, then stay put or walk on the main road. And pay attention to the cars. They may slip.
Thanks…. Noted

Not funny! I suggest you go back to the original post and edit to say it was a joke. Bett yet, post a retraction and apologize. Some of us here are dependent on the advice and experience of those that have done the Camino and those that are currently doing it. Some of us are investing a lot of time and money to make this dream come true. Posts like this have no place in the forum.
It's April 1st, lighten up.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Relax, chill, see some humour, and then repeat!

Now...you feel so much better soon when you do that.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I suggest you take this forum more seriously. I've reported the posts to the monitors. They can decide if such misinformation is appropriate for this forum.

Sorry, but that kind of humor has no place in this forum. Think about folks, RIGHT NOW, packing to leave for their Camino, reservations in hand, and then they read a post like this which as NO indication that it was intended to be humorous. It isn't until you get about 10 replies down that you find it was a joke. People don't always read every reply in a long string like this. This forum is intended to share and exchange information to help others with their Camino. There's no place for misinformation like this to be poste, whether or not it was intended to be 'humorous.'

Well I really hope your attention span / concentration for actually walking a Camino will last longer than reading ten short forumposts. Smiley insert for clarification...:);).
You know you will meet people from different backgrounds on a Camino with different kinds of humour?
I hope you will be aware of that?

I sincerely wish you all the best for your next Camino.

@wayfarer : today you are my favourite monitor / moderator! I owe you lots of beers already...:cool:

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

Folks getting ready to leave right now do not appreciate inappropriate humor like this.

One really starts to wonder how big a drama it would be when one cannot walk the Route Nap and walks through Valcarlos. I see from another post that you depart SJPP on May 10, right? It is April 1 today.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
People don't always read every reply in a long string like this.
Well, they should. Maybe this is the lesson the Camino wants to teach you right now. And reading the first 7-10 posts is not asking too much. So we managed to send you and @Sue127 and @Hurrying into the April, as the German speakers say, and you got annoyed while they took it with humour. Buen Camino en el mes de mayo!

Last edited:
@CA_Pilgrim, you may have noticed my comment 5 down. Not having clocked what day it was, my initial reaction was similar to yours (and I have another 3 months to wait), then, as the réalisation about the date sunk in, I accepted that I was well and truly taken in. It's good to exercise emotions, so mine went from "oh no, my grandson will be so disappointed" to " oh, granny, you numpty"!!! 😳😏😉😅😂🤣

I suggest you take this forum more seriously. I've reported the posts to the monitors. They can decide if such misinformation is appropriate for this forum.

Sorry, but that kind of humor has no place in this forum. Think about folks, RIGHT NOW, packing to leave for their Camino, reservations in hand, and then they read a post like this which as NO indication that it was intended to be humorous. It isn't until you get about 10 replies down that you find it was a joke. People don't always read every reply in a long string like this. This forum is intended to share and exchange information to help others with their Camino. There's no place for misinformation like this to be poste, whether or not it was intended to be 'humorous.'
Er . . Wayfarer IS a moderator!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Fake news

With moderator like you posting misinformation and finding it humorous, this forum is in trouble. Lighten up? How about you take this job seriously.
It's not a job - it's somebody volunteering in their spare time to make sure this forum works as well as it does.

My sense of "humor" runs foul of the Moderators quite often - but I don't throw my toys out of the pram about them.

after the fact he edited his post, but by then the damage was done.
No. With the comment that has been now added (Moderator note: check the date of this post) the first post has become just another boring April 1 joke where every reader knows right away that it is an April 1 joke.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted although it didn't even last 24 hours.

Like I said in a previous post, with moderators like this running the show and posting misinformation without any indication that it was intended as 'humor', the reputation of this forum is in trouble. yes, after the fact he edited his post, but by then the damage was done. Think about it, there are people RIGHT NOW, getting ready to depart for SJPP with reservation is Orisson, who get up and read this, and the same moderator refuses to end discussion with a retraction of the original post.

Fortunately, there is enough back and forth banter at the end to make folks reading this for the first time realize that it was a joke made in bad taste.
Tastes, like Pilgrims, differ but thank you for lightening up our day 👍

I think the title is totally uncool for us newbies trying to navigate this forum. Just saying. I for one get jokes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@CA_Pilgrim if you can’t get your head around this, if you can’t get your head around the curveballs the Camino can throw, and especially if you can’t take a joke you aren’t gonna find it easy on the roads to Santiago.
I sincerely doubt that folks along the trail will be dispensing misinformation to fellow pilgrims thinking it is humorous.

I sincerely doubt that folks along the trail will be dispensing misinformation to fellow pilgrims thinking it is humorous.

Again, if people on the Camino right now depend on the forum for a weather forecast then they are ill prepared. There are zillions of weather apps, local people who know the region better than a random stranger on a forum and then there is the good old fashioned weather forecast on any tv station.

Ok, out for me now. It is like talking to a brick wall.

Cheers to all others for a fun thread!

Last edited:
Is this a culture clash perhaps? I know that some countries don't celebrate April 1 in the same way as others. When I look at Wikipedia, some countries are notable by their absence:

Long-standing customs
I mean of course to say that Spain is notable by their absence, what did you think 😎. I know that Spain has a similar tradition to our April 1, but they have it in December as their Día de los Santos Inocentes" (27, 28 or 29 December, depending on the location).

I never thought I would seriously be able to use these words: chill out. In my youth it was cool down. CA Pilgrim, you have been around on the forum since 2011. Have you never seen a light hearted joke thread before? Please, there is a real war happening. Don't let's have a silly war here. Step back.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It´s just a joke. No it´s not
It´s a culture clash. No it's not
Time to close the thread. No it 's not.

Reminded me of something called the Argument Sketch ... (and as it is still the 1st of April... } :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree, but what I don't understand is the reluctance to close down a thread that has obviously taken a bad turn. It doesn't reflect well on the forum that one of the moderators was the OP and now refuses to close down the thread.
Because you took it down the "bad turn" and you don't get to call the shots. Leave it at that please.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have you considered the conflict within the forum you are generating? People attacking me for not understanding your warped sense of humor?
Why do you ask?
Deflection. To turn the heat down. Is this going to sort out the ills of the world? I am a woman person, not a man person so I cannot 'get' the problem. So, honestly, I thought that I would see if you would take the bait of dropping it. I live in Ireland. I grew up in Scotland with many siblings and lots of folk who acted the goat on April 1st. Perhaps you didn't have April Fool fun as a child? I do think if you did step back, and maybe go for a bit of a walk, and look at the news, and see what is actually going on in the world, you might not want to keep this silly argument going. People are fighting for their lives. What are you fighting for? I am not sorry for one word I am writing here, but I will not reply any more. Just take a look at the little video about argument.

Deflection. To turn the heat down. Is this going to sort out the ills of the world? I am a woman person, not a man person so I cannot 'get' the problem.
Thank you for your interest kirkie.
As for me, I am about 5 weeks out from departure. I plan to fly into Paris and make my way down to JSPP and take the Napoleon Route with an interim stop at Orison. I'm planning the route so that I spend my 65th birthday in Santiago.

€46,-
I wish you a safe trip, and a Happy 65th.

OOPS! I did not keep my own word! But I am glad, as I did not want to end my post with you on a harsh note.
Thanks for the early birthday wishes. BTW, I didn't find your post to be harsh and I appreciate your desire to move this thread back into a positive direction. The forum needs more people like you!

Must admit you got me @wayfarer. And today is my birthday … I should have been on full alert! 🤣

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Before the witching hour of closing the thread, let me say I have no plans. That is true right now. Although I am retired, I still have to dovetail with others for when I go missing, but perhaps later in the year...
(and actually, I have walked 4 already...)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Although I am retired, I still have to dovetail with others for when I go missing, but perhaps later in the year..
I hear you. I planned to retire in June when I turn 65, but I've negotiated with my employer to work to the end of the year if I can have 2 months off for the Camino. This has been on my bucket list for well over 10 years, even before the movie, but life and work always seemed to get in the way. This year I'm going to make it happen!

I've just read about an new local service designed to accommodate the distress among pilgrims caused by the closing of the Napoleon Route.

The name of this service is "Donkey Hooty" and provides asses for pilgrims to ride while making their way on the Valcarlos. The service, although not cheap, will also allow pilgrims to bring their packs (weight limit, 15 pounds) from SJPdP to Roncesvalles with them. Demand is expected to be great as the number of pilgrims on the Camino continues to increase so, if interested, please make your reservations early - there are a limited number of asses allowed on the Valcarlos Route on any given day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back