Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Naranco sites from Oviedo

CarriePhoto

Hi,

I'm starting my journey on Wednesday from Oviedo and wanted to inquire about visiting the Naranco sities. I don't get into Oviedo until 4pm on Tuesday.

Is it difficult to walk to the sites from the Cathedral? I saw that some people have mentioned taking the #10 Bus up there, but unless it is absolutely necessary, I'd rather avoid that.

Also, how difficult is it to join the Camino from Naranco? Has anyone done this recently? I really want to avoid heading back into Oviedo and I saw a previous thread that mentioned taking a road to Ules and then doing something else but it seemed rather vague. (Maybe it's one of those you need to be there in order to understand.)

Also, are the two Naranco sites within walking distance of each other? I'm guessing the answer is yes.

Thanks for the help. I'm nervous and excited about starting the walk in just a few days!

C

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Is it difficult to walk to the sites from the Cathedral? I saw that some people have mentioned taking the #10 Bus up there, but unless it is absolutely necessary, I'd rather avoid that.

Also, how difficult is it to join the Camino from Naranco? I really want to avoid heading back into Oviedo
Avoiding buses and not wanting to re-walk may be mutually exclusive! :)

We walked there just a month ago. We then rejoined the camino somewhat following the CSJ guide directions - but friendly locals took us " their" way and we got a wee bit lost. Nothing major - every other person was happy to point out where we should go. You do have to backtrack a few hundred metres on the same road, but it's not a biggie.
There is an info centre with toilets and fountain there too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I understand I might have to backtrack a bit, but another thread has you going all the way back to the Cathedral in Oviedo and that seems a bit silly to me.

Kiwi-Family, I actually don't have a CSJ guide. Do you know if that information is anywhere else? When I was planning my trip, it didn't seem worth it to get it since a lot of people said most of the information was outdated. And now it is too late.

It seems like I can ask people and they will help me on my way too. Thank you!

Since you just got back, any last-minute tips?

You can download the csj guide (please make a donation) or perhaps just extract the relevant info from the pdf. Having just used it on the Primitivo its pretty up-to-date though of course things change all the time. For instance there are now two bar / tiendas in Campiello, Herminia has competition. Better still the Borres albergue is now cleaned daily by a local team and there is a bar El Barin with decent food and desayunos from 7 am. By contrast La Mesa, is a mess - dirty and unloved but its a long hike on to Grandas

The Naranco monuments are close together and well worth a visit but beware opening times if you would like to see the interiors. The visitor centre is closed Monday & Tuesday, so you'll be fine, otherwise open 10:00-14:00 and 15:30-19:30 through July & August. The exteriors are open access. The tourist office in Oviedo can supply a map that will get you there. Ignore the signpost that sends you through the visitor centre car-park, just head straight up the road. Returning to the Camino is also easy with info from the csj guide. That extra 4k is worth the effort but you may feel it especially on your first day out. It may well be wise to stop at Escamplero. The Venta del Escamplero is currently closed for refurbishment but the little carniceria / tienda is well stocked and friendly.

Buen camino

Hi Tincatinker,

Thank you for responding. I am planning on spending the night in Escamplero as I want to take it easy the first day.

I am having trouble with the CSJ website though. When I go to add the Primitivo CSJ to my basket I get redirected to a domain support website. Same when I go to any menu items from the bookstore page. (Like View my basket, etc...) I've emailed them about the issue but they might have had this issue for a while, since there is a note on the page about the bookstore website page having glitches from December. I'm trying to access from the States so maybe that's the problem, I don't know.

I'm happy to give them a donation for the information and didn't realize it came as a pdf, which is great news for me.

Thanks again for your help. I'm a newbie to all this and it is greatly appreciated.

C

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Carrie, I've made an incorrect statement above. The csj guide to the Primitivo is not available as a download, only the updates.So, here is the text, slightly amended from my own notes, that will get you from Naranco to the main Camino route.

As you descend from the monuments you will see in front of you a track marked Access to Fincas only. Take it it knocks out a corner of the road. After about 1k you will pass a large restaurant / club on your right, 200m past this, also on your right, is the entrance to the Fundacion Padre Vinnoy and the Campo de Rugby. Immediately next to this is is a track, turn right into this track follow it down into the Calle de Concinos, turn left. At the end of Concinos turn right into the Calle de Padre Aller, cross the Calle de Vasquez de Mella, then along the Calle de Rafael Gallego Sainz. Bear right into the Calle de Bermudo 1 (El Diacono) to reach the Calle de Alfonso 1 (El Catolico) and turn right, you are now back on the Camino.

You pass the turn off on your way up so you'll have two chances to spot it. If the above sounds confusing its easier on the ground and some of it at least is traceable on the Tourismo street map.

There is a tiny little bar/meson about halfway up the road to Naranco. Excellent coffee and very friendly.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Laurie. Your posts have been a huge help to me and it was actually you who inspired me to make the Naranco "detour." I love old churches as well and am looking forward to this visit. I'm sure I'm going to love them.

Falcon, thanks for the link. That helps me visualize where I need to be.

Naranco is one of the highlights of my time in Spain. They aren't too bad to walk to, maybe 30 min from the train station, so maybe another 15min to the cathedral? It's easy navigation but it is all uphill.

There is a previous thread which discusses looping back on to other routes on the forum somewhere, it was pretty detailed.

However, if you do decide to head back to the cathedral then you could go via San Julian de los Prados/Santullano. I loved Naranco but I walked round San Julian with my jaw hanging open for most of it. It is absolutely stunning inside. If you don't visit I think you are missing one of major sights of Oviedo. Given the choice I'd forego the cathedral/Camara Santa for it if I had to.

I visited Naranco in the late afternoon, getting the last tour of the day. There was no-one else there and it was so peaceful. I had a good chuckle at the tour guide though, he spoke perfect English in the ticket office and was very firm when he said "the tour is in Spanish". Sure enough, the tour was in Spanish. Just me and him walking round the two sites while he did his routine completely in Spanish.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It took us about 40/50 minutes to walk up to the Monuments. Arrived just in time to join the last tour before the lunch break.
We then took a short steep path immediately behind the smaller of the two churches ( the second one you will visit). At the top, turn left and continue walking along a very quiet road, passing above a sports complex. We eventually joined the path from Oviedo at a chapel. From there, follow the shells/ arrows to Escamplero.
We checked this out on Google earth. Anne

It took us about 40/50 minutes to walk up to the Monuments. Arrived just in time to join the last tour before the lunch break.
We then took a short steep path immediately behind the smaller of the two churches ( the second one you will visit). At the top, turn left and continue walking along a very quiet road, passing above a sports complex. We eventually joined the path from Oviedo at a chapel. From there, follow the shells/ arrows to Escamplero.
We checked this out on Google earth. Anne
Dear Anne! How is it possible to see what you checked. I want to visit Naranco and then go to Escamplero and don't want to get back Oviedo. It'll be very simple to find a way if I can see it on the map.

Dear Anne! How is it possible to see what you checked. I want to visit Naranco and then go to Escamplero and don't want to get back Oviedo. It'll be very simple to find a way if I can see it on the map.
We checked it all on google earth! You just have to first look at a site that offers you the name of the villages you will walk through on that first day ( try Gronze) and then find a spot on the google earth map showing you where you actually pick up the official path once leaving the " monumentos, as they are called there".I can't remember now, the name of that spot, but it took us about 40 minutes to reach it. After that, you carry on following the arrows!basically, we were walking parallel to the official path, but higher up and slightly bearing left. Anne

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
[...] I want to visit Naranco and then go to Escamplero and don't want to get back Oviedo. It'll be very simple to find a way if I can see it on the map.
You can look it up easily from Google Earth.
From the grassfield North of San Miguel de Lillo (the church at the top) starts a path upwards in NW direction. After about 200 meters it joins an asphalted road, which runs parallel to the Oviedo Sports Grounds (on your left). You'll pass its entrance and carry on straight down the main road for about 1km until this turns sharp left. There is a bus shelter/stop. Turn right and cross the village Ules in the direction of El Llano, and straight on until Lampaya.
About 300 meters after the few Lampaya houses there descends a track to the left. If you miss it, carry on and turn left when at a T-junction and you'll eventually come out at the same spot as the track. Follow the road until a little chapel on your right. You should have joined the official Camino towards Loriana and follow the yellow arrows. From here to Escamplero you should be OK.
This alternative is pleasant and not much of a detour from Oviedo past the "Monumentos".
Buen Camino!

Anne, farluchi, thank you, I got that!
But I have another question, I don't understand with map - is it possible to visit both Naranco Churches AND the Sculpture of the Sacred Heart near there and how to go back to Camino.
sorry again for bothering you

[...]- is it possible to visit both Naranco Churches AND the Sculpture of the Sacred Heart near there and how to go back to Camino.
One way or the other you'll start from the S.Miguel de Lillo church and will have to return more or less that way. If you take the steep path up left after the church (going North), you'll have a path to the left after about 1/2 km after the first houses. Then a tough 1.1 km up until a main road, after which 1/2 km to the right until the statue. You'll have to ask about the condition of this track at the time and weather when you are at the Naranco churches.
The alternative is to take the main road which goes around the hill, about 3.5 km. Take the track to your left when you can see the communications tower on the hill (shortcut). On the main road, turn left and you'll see the statue straight ahead.
Either way is going to take some additional time and effort, perhaps between 2 and 3 hours (ida y vuelta).
Unless you can get a lift:cool:

fraluchi, thank you very much! I understand much more than today's morning)

You can look it up easily from Google Earth.
From the grassfield North of San Miguel de Lillo (the church at the top) starts a path upwards in NW direction. After about 200 meters it joins an asphalted road, which runs parallel to the Oviedo Sports Grounds (on your left). You'll pass its entrance and carry on straight down the main road for about 1km until this turns sharp left. There is a bus shelter/stop. Turn right and cross the village Ules in the direction of El Llano, and straight on until Lampaya.
About 300 meters after the few Lampaya houses there descends a track to the left. If you miss it, carry on and turn left when at a T-junction and you'll eventually come out at the same spot as the track. Follow the road until a little chapel on your right. You should have joined the official Camino towards Loriana and follow the yellow arrows. From here to Escamplero you should be OK.
This alternative is pleasant and not much of a detour from Oviedo past the "Monumentos".
Buen Camino!
Adriaan ( fraluchi - my husband) didn't mention that the little chapel is at Llampaxuga. That is where the two paths meet. If you search for I to. Google earth, it will take you there. Anne

Os dejo un vídeo que hizo alguien que conozco sobre los monumentos del Naranco a vista de pájaro. En su canal tiene más vídeos de zonas que muchos recordaréis, como Niembro.

I leave a video message to someone I know on the monuments of Naranco bird's eye view. In his channel has more videos for you recall many areas as Niembro.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
About 300 meters after the few Lampaya houses there descends a track to the left. If you miss it, carry on and turn left when at a T-junction and you'll eventually come out at the same spot as the track. Follow the road until a little chapel on your right. You should have joined the official Camino towards Loriana and follow the yellow arrows.
Thank you fraluchi, that was fool proof, I managed it without a problem.
For any one else thinking of walking on from there it is very clear when you are there.
Sue

This is such great information. For those who are short of time, this is a terrific way to be able to visit the Naranco sites, an easy walk up from behind the train station, and then continue on the Camino. Sulu, Anne or Fraluchi, do you know the total kms from Cathedral - Naranco-Escamplero? Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is such great information. For those who are short of time, this is a terrific way to be able to visit the Naranco sites, an easy walk up from behind the train station, and then continue on the Camino. Sulu, Anne or Fraluchi, do you know the total kms from Cathedral - Naranco-Escamplero? Buen camino, Laurie
Sorry I don't. I didn't walk from the Cathedral, I walked across town from the albergue and then up Avenida de los Monumentos, according to my map it was another 4 kms to San Miguel de Lillo once I got to the end of town, I know that isn't much help, it felt like a long way. :D

[...] Sulu, Anne or Fraluchi, do you know the total kms from Cathedral - Naranco-Escamplero? Laurie
I don't think that the Kms to Naranco are important, rather the time. The walk is continuously upwards, including many stairs before and after the railway station. It's about 3.5 kilometers. Count max. 2 hours if you're taking it really easy.:rolleyes: From Naranco to Escamplero (albergue ?) the walk is fairly easy and you could do this under 3 hours.;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks, Angulero. Nice video, is there one for San Miguel de Lillo, too?

If you're going to visit these two pre-romanesque sites, IMO it is definitely worth it to get up there early in the morning before buses and visitors arrive. The church is a little more protected from "civilization" than the palace shown in this video, but both are amazing if you can just sit and take it all in in the quiet.

But I wouldn't miss the opportunity to go inside, either, I've been here at least 7 times and it always just fills me with awe. Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back