• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nasbinals - Too many questions

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I have been reading my history and looking through the art books at the university library beginning to plan my walk from Le Puy. After flipping through “Le Puy to the Pyrenees” by Alison Raju as well as “Miam Miam Dodo”, searching for photographs of the places mentioned on the internet I have come to Nasbinals. First of all, what might be the origin of the name? Not your usual French or even Languedoc surely. The symbol of the village/town is a Germanic eagle below two golden scallop shells separated by a Maltese cross (Knights of Saint John?) likewise intriguing, the church of Sainte Marie dates from the 11th century and appears to be an example of a much renovated Romanesque base. All in all an very attractive place seen from this far away. Does anyone have a recommendation for lodging? There are many options listed in both sources, most not appealing at first glance, the best seems to be “Ferme équestre des Monts d'Aubrac” located 500 meters out the wrong way from the town, not the best location if one wants to go to mass, or pop in to visit the pharmacy, or just go walkabout. Does anyone have a recommendation in town? Thanks,

Scruffy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In Sept 2010, my group of 3 stayed at Lo d'Ici (http://www.lodici-aubrac.com/), which was just lovely and had a terrific breakfast. I would stay there again gladly. It is about one block before the church, which is indeed lovely. Wherever you stay, be aware of the Sunday and Monday closings; check with your lodgings for which restaurants may be open.

Thanks kitsambler!!!
Perhaps there is a Nasbinals Historical Society? There must be!!! Anybody know?
S

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Scruffy, the name Nasbinals is a corruption of the languedocien, Las Binals. I think the sounds just got scrambled, much as the River Olt is the River Lot in French. I think.

My Provencal dictionary gives no clue as to the meaning, which is not surprising. The old languedocien language - a part of Occitan group - had a guyennais or northern dialect. Within that dialect area, there was a variant, gévaudanais, spoken around Nasbinals. I think.

As to symbols, that interesting auvergnat church was a priory of the order of Saint-Victor de Marseille. Is there some connection between that and the heraldry?

Whew!

I stayed at the equestrian farm, and the weather was so severe there was no question of a stroll into town. But I loved all that high country, even in the most hostile conditions.

Your interest and anticipation are getting me quite inspired.

Rob

Thanks Robertt!
Its back to the National Library here in Jerusalem for me! Actually, one of my favorite places for a good time, old forgotten books, strange encounters with librarians, and usually quite a bit of confronting many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore. Life is good.

S.

I stayed in the Gite Communal in Nasbinals and found it a pleasant building. Dorm rooms had about six beds in them, good kitchen and dining area. Good showers etc as well. Quite central, not far from the church.
Margaret

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Margaret! Nasbinals appears to be a lovely village and may make a nice place to spend a rest day.

I stayed at the Gite d'étape privé, La Grappière in May. The main mixed dormitory has I think 13 beds, albeit not bunks: that's the most cramped accommodation I experienced on the Voie du Puy! The best thing that could be said for it was that it was next to the chemist.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back