• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Natural History Along the Camino Frances

hfenton

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Invierno (2023)
Can anyone provide resources concerning the natural history (birds, flowers, trees, geology, etc.) one encounters along the Camino Frances?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My old Pilipili guide of the Frances had such information at the begining of each chapter corresponding to a new section (Basque country, Rioja, etc.). But the guide is in Spanish and I don't know what they have published more recently.

You can access Pili Pala Press at http://www.pilipalapress.com/
They no longer have a print version but the online info is quite good.

Do a "maps" search on this site and you will find a lot of information and suggestions for resources.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can access Pili Pala Press at http://www.pilipalapress.com/
They no longer have a print version but the online info is quite good.

Do a "maps" search on this site and you will find a lot of information and suggestions for resources.
So glad they are still out there. One of my favourite features of their book was the lengends they told of the different villages.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Every rock you step on is 4.5 billion years old, and may be substantially unchanged that entire time. Appreciate it!

Buen camino.
There are a few humans who just may have stepped on rocks of that age; Apollo astronauts!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I downloaded a field guide app to the wildflowers of Great Britain, which was the best I could find to help me identify flowers and plants along the Camino - but I wish there was something (in English) that was more specific, and that also included a field guide to birds likely to be encountered.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you for this information.
I forgot to mention that the tour at the site is in Spanish. Fortunately one of the other pilgrims I was with was fluent in Spanish, and translated the salient bits for us. There were large signs with information in English and French. Maybe another language too, but I don't remember.

I forgot to mention that the tour at the site is in Spanish. Fortunately one of the other pilgrims I was with was fluent in Spanish, and translated the salient bits for us. There were large signs with information in English and French. Maybe another language too, but I don't remember.

You can also get a lot of information on Atapuerca at the Museum of Human Evolution in Burgos -- their first floor is dedicated to this and the signage is also in English. It's fascinating.

May I suggest The Pilgrimage Road To Santiago, by David M.Gitlitz and Kay Davidson - a treasure-trove on the art, architecture, geology, history, folklore, saints' lives, flroa and fauna.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I second The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago. It is a big book but can be downloaded into a Kindle app on a smartphone, which makes it easy to carry. A book to consult as you stand in front of a retablo and wonder what you are seeing.

I concur with the kudos of The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago. Lovely, dense, filled with detailed "raphic" descriptions (geog and hagiog). Also, for this former farm boy, lovely bits about the crops and vedge along the way. Wish that I could carry it with me, but then I'd need a truss as well as walking poles! And, not that you asked, but Fr Kevin Codd's "To The Field of Stars" is an absolute delight as well, though less about flora and fauna and more about the gentle complexity of one human spirit.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back