• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Navarrete

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Navarette is located between Logroño and Nájera, a place far too often all but ignored as pilgrims fly by hoping to make that 30k day. Navarette is an extremely interesting town, the albergue situated in an arched promenade, good food good wine, and like all Spanish the people there love a good statue and there are many all about. The church is the amazing bit, not much to look at from the outside, the inside dark and uninviting lit only by some few electronic "candles" ... until someone finds the coin box which illuminates the interior! Bronze! Silver!! Gold!!! Apparently a conquistador brought back all the Aztec treasure he could filch and decorated the church. It is an unexpected treasure. So, slow down for some few moments, the church is on the Camino up some few steps past the statues spend a dime and be flabbergasted!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked from Los Arcos to Navarette that day and had a very good night in Navarette in the company of some Dutch, German, and Italian pilgrims. I stayed in a different albergue though but agree it is a placew worth visiting.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You have both missed the very best thing, the wee bar in the square at the the end of the arches, has the best Tapas (if they are Tapas at this point of our jouney (discuss)) on the camino. I am sure that there may be contra opinions!

No argument, just "gotta catch 'em all" - Casa de comidas Begona y Antonio Calle la Cruz 2b/Plaza las Pilas street

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I love Navarette.
There is a very sweet little albergue there just as you come into town.
If you watch the arrows, there is one going BACKWARDS pointing to the albergue.
Casa de Peregino is the name and here is their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/albergue.navarrete.7?fref=ts

Friendly, clean, kitchen, and fireplace.

He also has a couple of private rooms.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am nodding head and going yes, yes, yes. I loved the church and visited the delightful cemetery. I have decided next time to stay at Navarette. Maybe have a short day from Logrono.

Navarrete is a lovely little town. The church is stunning - definitely a jaw-drop moment when the lights come on! I have to admit to some rather conflicted feelings about so many of these austere old churches having been "redecorated" in this way post-conquest, and what made it possible, but it is definitely an incredible sight. But my favourite Navarrete moment was standing in the plaza outside the church and noticing a big swarm of bees on one of the trees there. They were just hanging out (excuse the pun), mooching around, taking a break like the rest of us. Not bothering anyone and no one was bothering them or running around wondering how to get rid of them! Beautiful sight - and when we passed by later that evening they had moved on. One of two swarms we saw on the camino, the other was on the move.

Easily my favorite altarpiece of the entire way. Knew it was fab but finding the box for the lights was quite the challenge! Am considering finishing my journey next year there so I can visit again when I start the following year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When I spent a night in Navarette I chanced on a most amazing choir concert. It is one of the most special memories of my time in Spain, and the acoustics in that church were made for it.
Margaret

When I spent a night in Navarette I chanced on a most amazing choir concert. It is one of the most special memories of my time in Spain, and the acoustics in that church were made for it.
Margaret

Now that's an idea for a thread! Chance meetings with performers of all types, choirs, orchestras, street theatre, dancing - not the usual and expected celebrations around festivals or holidays or long weekends but totally surprising events chanced upon by good fortune. I was in Pamplona a week before Easter walking by the cathedral at 2230 when I heard music, popped in to find the choir rehearsing for the Easter Mass - was marvelous, in the dark, and the tenor was world class!

After the pilgrim blessing, after mass, the priest took all the pilgrims into a special locked room full of more treasures where he gave us a mini tour. He had everyone say where they were from and gave each of us a prayer card. He really seemed to enjoy interacting with the pilgrims.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I plan to sleep in Navarette on my first night, - starting from Logrono early in September but doing a short day to begin with. So thanks everyone for all the info!

My favourite bar on the whole camino is in Navarrete: El Patio del Camino on Calle Mayor :cool:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My favourite bar on the whole camino is in Navarrete: El Patio del Camino on Calle Mayor :cool:
Now thats' another idea for a new thread! La Taberna in Castrojerez perhaps, a real bar, great food, atmosphere, and celebrities(!) Hape Kerkeling, ShirleyMacLaine, and off course the barkeep-hope that he is . well.. ah...early into the day! Quite a lot going for the place!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
El Patio del Camino in Navarrete :cool:
20140622_202305 Navarette, El Patio del Camino2.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Love that bar in Castrojerez and the bar owner! On my last winter camino (February) it was brutally cold the day I stopped into that bar. He and his wife gave me hot soup to warm me up on my arrival. He insisted on wrapping up the remainder of my bocadillo that I didn't finish and later on I found he had added two apples to the bag.

I also love Navarette...haven't stayed there but thought it was a pretty town. I had a great lunch in a bar off of the plaza (can't remember the name). Didn't think I would think about walking the CF again, but I keep reading about all the places I missed and everyone's favorite albergue, bars and sights! Makes me want to do it again but stop in completely different villages.

If you like art, you can also have a look at the town's cemetery, where they installed the facade of the medieval pilgrim's hospital after it was demolished. It's a beautiful example of romanic arquitecture.

According to Gilitz & Davidon, p. 133., just inside the cemetery and near the gate is a monument to the local Falangists who were rounded up and shot when the Civil War broke out in 1936.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I took this picture in Navarette (below) and my mother, at age 61, got her first ever tattoo of this exact emblem (on her ankle)---without the word Navarette. It was really surreal standing with my wife and baby watching my 60+ mother get her first tattoo! :)

9282007852_8f9ba725d2_z.jpg

And in case anyone is trying to get a visual to remember/identify this town, you climb up stairs to get into the town, and these are the only pictures I have of it:

9282024740_58495df9e2.jpg

9281990600_8d71f562a2.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
one of my favorite municipal albergue experiences. It was lovely, sweet, quiet, airy and light filled (a nice, small-village escape from the big city of Logroño!), with a beautiful big kitchen and a great little grocery store across the street. There's a little bar right outside and next to the albergue. I didn't visit the church, but just the peace and great breeze and energy and quiet of the town was lovely!!

Oh Navarette. It is really nice to see that there are more of us having good memories of the place. I think I had my best menu del peregrino there (in the bar on the square in front of the church) & I really liked the pilgrim mass I attended there. Besides, I would also like to recommend climbing up the hill behind the church - very good views up there.

I have fond memories of Navarette! Last summer I arrived too late for a bed in the albergue and stayed in a pension. It was a heavenly unplanned event; a shower AND a bath - and the young woman who checked me in even offered the use of her blow dryer and curling iron - hehe - I'm sure I was a sight! After starting out the next morning, I decided to turn around and stay for a rest day. The hospitaliero was French and made fresh crepes in the kitchen after many pilgrims had arrived!!!
I also had an amazing meal at the bar just up the 'tunnel' from the albergue. It's fun to write of my memories here :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you like art, you can also have a look at the town's cemetery, where they installed the facade of the medieval pilgrim's hospital after it was demolished. It's a beautiful example of romanic arquitecture.

Yes, I had almost forgotten that. It's on the way out of town, and most pilgrims probably just pass right by. The facade is not visible from the outside of the cemetery, if I'm remembering right. You have to go inside and turn around. And it's beautiful!

Navarette is located between Logroño and Nájera, a place far too often all but ignored as pilgrims fly by hoping to make that 30k day. Navarette is an extremely interesting town, the albergue situated in an arched promenade, good food good wine, and like all Spanish the people there love a good statue and there are many all about. The church is the amazing bit, not much to look at from the outside, the inside dark and uninviting lit only by some few electronic "candles" ... until someone finds the coin box which illuminates the interior! Bronze! Silver!! Gold!!! Apparently a conquistador brought back all the Aztec treasure he could filch and decorated the church. It is an unexpected treasure. So, slow down for some few moments, the church is on the Camino up some few steps past the statues spend a dime and be flabbergasted!

Navarrete is written with two R (RR) and only one T Thanks

Love that bar in Castrojerez and the bar owner! On my last winter camino (February) it was brutally cold the day I stopped into that bar. He and his wife gave me hot soup to warm me up on my arrival. He insisted on wrapping up the remainder of my bocadillo that I didn't finish and later on I found he had added two apples to the bag.

I also love Navarette...haven't stayed there but thought it was a pretty town. I had a great lunch in a bar off of the plaza (can't remember the name). Didn't think I would think about walking the CF again, but I keep reading about all the places I missed and everyone's favorite albergue, bars and sights! Makes me want to do it again but stop in completely different villages.
little did they think about the simple act of adding a couple of apples,,but its moments like that and you telling it keeps us addicted..it would be great if they could be told of the impact that kindness..

€83,-
I really enjoyed this little town. I was lucky enough to to be there during Semana Santa. The procession there was incredible and felt so different than what I saw in Seville.

I have stayed at Albergue El Cantaro in Navarrete the last three years and really love it. I stay in a private room with a shared bath. The kitchen and bathrooms are spotless; the owner is very friendly - wish I could remember his name. My favorite place to eat is Bar Deportivo, right below the church, with fantastic tapas and a lovely outdoor patio (and no sports TV, in case you are wondering).

hi,,i also stayed at naverette,,got a tip that the food in bar/res deportivo was good..well i can tell you it was very very good..it was a couple of euros more than normal menu de peregrino,,,but worth even more..

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I loved Navarrete. I think there's a carved skull on a wall on the way up. I'll see if I can find my pic of it and post it later.

The albergue at the top (I think it was the municipal) had a HAIRDRYER which was amazing luxury.

The bar on the square with the tapas was wonderful.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.