• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Navia to Santiago

nopajoju

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi friends,
I'm planning my first camino and have about 2 weeks, coming from the US. I'm a 60 yrs old lady, reasonably fit and used to walking and hiking, and I speak Spanish fluently. I have been looking at my options and thinking about the last section of the Norte, starting from about Navia. What attracts me about this route is the scenery and that I would experience both a camino with fewer travelers and the last busier section where it merges with the Frances. I think I would probably go in September or October and I wonder how the weather would be then, and I wouldn't want to be absolutely alone on the trail, either. I do want the social experience of sharing this with others. Has anyone done this section, or has reccommendations for me? TIA

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, I walked this section in October a few years ago and I would highly recommend it.
Many pilgrims on the Norte that year turned off to walk the Primitivo so the way did become quieter after the split! However, there were enough pilgrims walking to have a sense of community.
The weather in 2016 was lovely. Not a drop of rain in all of Galicia!
It was one of my favourite caminos. Enjoy!!

Hi TIA,
I walked the entire Norte in 2019 from Irun and all I can say is that I long to return. It is spectacular hiking the mountains alongside the ocean. I also had plenty of pilgrims to accompany me on my pilgrimage. I did, however, go in July/August, so I can't say what it will be like with COVID and walking in March. Buen Camino! Dave

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is a really nice stretch. Very pretty and peaceful.
Many pilgrims on the Norte that year turned off to walk the Primitivo so the way did become quieter after the split!
When I walked in 2018 It was the end of October when I arrived at the split for the Primitivo. Virtually everyone went on the Primitivo. I saw very few pilgrims until I reached Baamonde. Then it gradually got more crowded until I rejoined the CF and well you know what happens there haha.
The weather was not very cold. Some rain but luckily the intense rain happened at night.
I can't recommend this albergue enough:
It is in the middle of the forest but it is impossible to miss. It is beautiful and clean with a great communal dinner, breakfast and you can buy supplies also. You will get a wonderful night's sleep.

Most read last week in this forum

Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.