• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Navigating Madrid airport

elsbeth

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April (2017)
Last minute help please.....My traveling partner has had to postpone due to family emergency and I will fly solo tomorrow. Cancelled the rental car and bought a bus ticket from Madrid to St Jean for myself. Looking for any directions/suggestions getting through the airport and to the bus. (My friend is the one who speaks spanish......) Many thanks for help with this last minute panic.
elsbeth

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last minute help please.....My traveling partner has had to postpone due to family emergency and I will fly solo tomorrow. Cancelled the rental car and bought a bus ticket from Madrid to St Jean for myself. Looking for any directions/suggestions getting through the airport and to the bus. (My friend is the one who speaks spanish......) Many thanks for help with this last minute panic.
elsbeth

Hi, elsbeth, I'm sure this has caused a bit of anxiety, but it is not the last curve ball the Camino will throw your way. Deep breath, you will be fine. I assume you want the bus to Pamplona, and there are several that leave from the airport.

First questions -- which airline are you flying? I ask because of the terminal differences. If you are flying Iberia, American, BA, or another One World partner, you will arrive in T4, which is the new fancy terminal. It is separated from the older airport, T1, T2, or T3, by a bus ride of about 15 minutes.

Second question -- do you have a reservation on a specific bus? Can you tell us your schedule and itinerary? I hope this link will take you to the schedule for busses on the 19th from Madrid to Pamplona, you can see which ones stop at the airport.

https://www.alsa.es/checkout?p_auth...ype=OUTWARD&promoCode=&jsonAlsaPassPassenger=

If you are on a bus that leaves from the airport (not all buses from Madrid to Pamplona stop there), you will need to get to the bus stop at T4. If you arrive in T4, you will take the train to baggage claim/exit and be right there. If you arrive in the other terminals, you will have to get any checked luggage and then go outside for the intra-airport bus. It runs very frequently and is free.

Lots of people here to help you out, so don't panic! Buen camino, Laurie

Here is Aena Madrid Airport website. Find a button for airport map bottom right. http://www.aena.es/en/madrid-barajas-airport/index.html

Take EMT Madrid #200 from one of several bus stops shown on the airport map to Intercambiador de Avenida de America where it terminates.

PLM Autocares and ALSA (via Soria) provide bus service from Avenida de America to Pamplona.

Only some of the buses call at the airport and it may be much faster to go to Avenida de America than to wait at the Airport T4 bus station

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, elsbeth, I'm sure this has caused a bit of anxiety, but it is not the last curve ball the Camino will throw your way. Deep breath, you will be fine. I assume you want the bus to Pamplona, and there are several that leave from the airport.

First questions -- which airline are you flying? I ask because of the terminal differences. If you are flying Iberia, American, BA, or another One World partner, you will arrive in T4, which is the new fancy terminal. It is separated from the older airport, T1, T2, or T3, by a bus ride of about 15 minutes.

Second question -- do you have a reservation on a specific bus? Can you tell us your schedule and itinerary? I hope this link will take you to the schedule for busses on the 19th from Madrid to Pamplona, you can see which ones stop at the airport.

https://www.alsa.es/checkout?p_auth=RwCXgzPf&p_p_id=PurchasePortlet_WAR_Alsaportlet&p_p_lifecycle=1&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-1&p_p_col_count=3&_PurchasePortlet_WAR_Alsaportlet_javax.portlet.action=searchJourneysAction&originForm=journeySearchForm&_JourneySearchPortlet_WAR_Alsaportlet_code=&serviceType=&accessible=0&originStationNameId=Madrid+(todas+las+paradas),+Madrid,+España&originStationId=90155&destinationStationNameId=Pamplona+(todas+las+paradas),+Navarra,+España&destinationStationId=93100&departureDate=19/04/2017&travelTypeOutward=OUTWARD&numPassengers=1&passengerType-1=1&passengerType-3=0&passengerType-2=0&locationMode=1&regionalZone=&travelType=OUTWARD&promoCode=&jsonAlsaPassPassenger=

If you are on a bus that leaves from the airport (not all buses from Madrid to Pamplona stop there), you will need to get to the bus stop at T4. If you arrive in T4, you will take the train to baggage claim/exit and be right there. If you arrive in the other terminals, you will have to get any checked luggage and then go outside for the intra-airport bus. It runs very frequently and is free.

Lots of people here to help you out, so don't panic! Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you for your quick reply. I am flying on Delta airlines. I bought a ticket through Alsa and it names the company as NEX Continental, Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 to Soria. I will then change in Soria and again in Pamplona as I had previously purchased a ticket for St Jean.

If my flight is on time I will have about 2 hours to make my way to baggage claim (for my poles) and on to T4, if I don't land there.
I know this is just a small hiccup and there will be more to come - I anticipate those. Looking forward to my walk and thank you for your advice.

elsbeth

Here is Aena Madrid Airport website. Find a button for airport map bottom right. http://www.aena.es/en/madrid-barajas-airport/index.html

Take EMT Madrid #200 from one of several bus stops shown on the airport map to Intercambiador de Avenida de America where it terminates.

PLM Autocares and ALSA (via Soria) provide bus service from Avenida de America to Pamplona.

Only some of the buses call at the airport and it may be much faster to go to Avenida de America than to wait at the Airport T4 bus station

Thank you for that link. Looking at my airlines website it looks like I will be landing at T1 so I will need to take the bus to T4 to get the Soria bus

elsbeth

Hi,
I caught bus from airport bus station to Burgos last year, also no Spanish language skills. Their is a free shuttle bus that runs everyday 15 minutes or so directly outside terminal building which drops you of at the airport bus station. The signs to it are pretty good plus their is assistance at airport desk. It was all pretty straightforward apart from catching the right bus to burgos which seemed a bit chaotic to me as it wasn't that clear which stop it was going from... But everything was ok, the bus turned up on time, was really comfortable and arrived at destination spot on time as well.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The airport at Madrid is easy to get around and user friendly. You will have no problems, but with two hours I would get to T4 ASAP.
Once you exit the terminal, the buses are about 50 meters away. Just show your boarding pass and load up.
You change buses in Soria, but it is a very small bus station there, and they park right next to the bus you will be changing over to. Grab your pack, transfer it to that bus and board, and off to Pamplona.
ultreia
ParadaMadrid.jpg

When you think you have the right bus, approach the driver, show him/her your ticket, and ask: "Is this the bus to Soria? // Este es el autobús a Soria? (es-teh-es-el-auto-boos-a-Sore-ee-ah?) "

It is easy to get on the wrong bus. Better to ask ahead...

I think I got the phoentic pronunciation correct...it is close enough for a gringo...

I hope this helps.

Barajas is a very well marked and convenient and manageable airport. You'll see signs (with pictures of buses) for buses, and arrows of where to go everywhere. Depending on where you land you might have to take the connector train (free), but even that will be clearly marked with signs. And if all else fails, there will be plenty of people who speak English around the airport.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
PS: Is your travel partner joining you on the camino later, or did he/she have to postpone altogether?

Thank you for your quick reply. I am flying on Delta airlines. I bought a ticket through Alsa and it names the company as NEX Continental, Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 to Soria. I will then change in Soria and again in Pamplona as I had previously purchased a ticket for St Jean.

If my flight is on time I will have about 2 hours to make my way to baggage claim (for my poles) and on to T4, if I don't land there.
I know this is just a small hiccup and there will be more to come - I anticipate those. Looking forward to my walk and thank you for your advice.

elsbeth
Elsbeth, your plans sound very good and even though your partner can't be there to help navigate this time, try not to worry and just take each step as it comes. Somehow, most of us make it to where we're going in spite of the inevitable uncertainty and occasional mishaps. There are information desks there at Barajas too. Just so you're prepared, the ALSA buses from T4 to Soria and on to Pamplona don't have bathrooms like intercity buses often do in the U.S. I was dismayed to realize this after had just had a strong cup of Spanish coffee whilst waiting in T4. Also, it takes sometimes a very long time for the baggage carousel to start up for some reason, so it's good that you have this 2 hours lag time at Barajas. Buen Camino to you!

elsbeth
Sounds like you have it all under control. Just one last thing, in the days when I used to check my hiking poles in cardboard tubes, sometimes those would not show up at the regular luggage carousel. There's a special place for odd shaped and oversized items, which may be where your poles go. One bad experience a few years ago with The airlines losing my poles changed my practice, so I now always carry them on, but hopefully you will be OK.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sounds like you have it all under control. Just one last thing, in the days when I used to check my hiking poles in cardboard tubes, sometimes those would not show up at the regular luggage carousel. There's a special place for odd shaped and oversized items, which may be where your poles go. One bad experience a few years ago with The airlines losing my poles changed my practice, so I now always carry them on, but hopefully you will be OK.

Would love to carry them on - will try......

Elsbeth, your plans sound very good and even though your partner can't be there to help navigate this time, try not to worry and just take each step as it comes. Somehow, most of us make it to where we're going in spite of the inevitable uncertainty and occasional mishaps. There are information desks there at Barajas too. Just so you're prepared, the ALSA buses from T4 to Soria and on to Pamplona don't have bathrooms like intercity buses often do in the U.S. I was dismayed to realize this after had just had a strong cup of Spanish coffee whilst waiting in T4. Also, it takes sometimes a very long time for the baggage carousel to start up for some reason, so it's good that you have this 2 hours lag time at Barajas. Buen Camino to you!

Thank you - buen camino
elsbeth

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Time will tell = we're hoping she can follow me in a few days.

elsbeth
Pamplona is a beautiful spot to start a camino, and easily accessible from Madrid. It's 3-4 days of walking from St Jean. So that could be a good "meet up to start" spot. Logrono is a few days after that, and almost as accessible. Good luck.

Would love to carry them on - will try......
I have stayed out of the last few debates over whether you can carry on hiking poles or not, since tempers sometimes flare and I know I've said it all a million times. But I am in the "never had a problem carrying on poles in plain view through TSA in numerous US airports" sub-group of this forum. Some forum members insist it is prohibited by TSA regulations so I shouldn't carry them on, but I have specifically asked TSA people who have told me I can bring them on. Since I routinely carry them on so that all the world can plainly see them, either the many TSA people who have now let my poles through don't know the rules or the rules are different than what we think they are. But... in any event, I always have an easy way for a last-minute check-in in case of a problem, so I do have a Plan B. So far, and this is after trips through 15 or more US airports, most recently in March, I have not had to check them.

Coming home from Santiago, as others have stated, is a different story. Always check them.

I agree with the above, or at least I do not disagree. But, I seem to suffer the fate of "the outlier..."

The cash register line I get on will ALWAYS be the slow line, or run out of paper receipt tape just as I get to the front of the line. The exact payment or transponder toll payment line I get in while driving will ALWAYS have someone in front who decides too late that they need change. If I am on Camino, and there is even one cloud in the sky, it will be magnetically drawn to ME.

All my life, it has never failed... I incarnate the "St. Francis Prayer..." In my sixth decade of life, I have learned to accept those things I cannot change, offer it up, and deal with it, hopefully with grace. I have even learned to find the humor in it.

When I travel by air, the security line I get in will ALWAYS have the persnickety TSA trainee, trying to impress their superiors.

So, as regards taking hiking sticks on a plane, I know better than to even try it. Even so, I always present my Gerber Dime Travel multitool for physical inspection. Even though it has no knife or cutting edge (making it TSA legal), the TSA folks are fascinated by it.

Many security screeners have not seen one of these tiny gems before and all come over to handle it in awe. I find that showing it to them avoids it being confiscated by someone who sees a multitools, assume it has a knife (most all do) and confiscates it, because he or she can do. Just as an FYI, this device replaced a much larger and heavier Swiss Army knife. That saved about 500 grams alone.

So, Portugal and northwest Spain, if you need rain, you are going to get it, for a month, starting 27 April. That is when I start from Lisbon, north towards Santiago de Compostela.

My point is, regarding the flying with sticks issue, is that you read the rules, make an informed decision, and take your chances. Personally, I have learned not to take chances in those things I cannot control.

I hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back