Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

near santander

Telluridewalker

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (1988)
Beautiful photo. Here's a general question: How much of the Norte route is on the beach? How much COULD be on the beach, if a pilgrim chose to attempt it?

A

AJ

Quite a bit of the Norte is inland, however there is a coastal walk which is distinct from the Camino de Santiago. I forget what it is called. I met a fellow at the albergue in San Esteban de Pravia (I think) who was walking this route. He showed me a leaflet with maps and details of accomodation which he had obtained from Tourist Info. I think he was intending to walk as far as La Coruna.

peregrina2000

Staff member
When I walked the Norte in May 2007, there were marked diversions to E-9, which is the coastal walking route. We took it whenever we saw it, because it meant beautiful coastal path walking. It always brought us back to the Camino. I noted some of those spots in my short summary of my walking stages, el-camino-del-norte/topic2829.html so I won't repeat them here. But I think it's usually a beautiful alternative to take the E-9, and I would go for it when you see the signs.

Laurie

Canuck

Veteran wanderer
Camino(s) past & future
?
I agree!
E9 detours are the answer on the Norte. Combined with the Camino, it makes for quite a bit of walking along the sea.

Jean-Marc

valleyo

From Guemes to Santander

I would love to add a photo from the same stretch of the Norte: from Guemes to Santander. If you follow the route near the coast, instead of the red paved bicycle road, you will encounter breathtaking views as well as some very nice French peregrinas (I did! :) )

Telluridewalker

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (1988)
Re: From Guemes to Santander

as well as some very nice French peregrinas (I did! :) )
Great photo. It reminds me of the lovely pair of French perigrinas I hopscotched with along the Camino Frances- although they were in their 60's, they easily beat me to SDC from Pamplona.

Beverley

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2009, Camino Portuguese 2010, Del Norte 2011, Pamplona to Burgos and Santiago to Finnesterra 2012
The water in these shots looks reasonable, that is, unlike the Portuguese beach way, this looks like it might be o.k. to swim 8)

Advertisement

Booking.com