• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nearly Half a Million on the Frances....but....

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
SJPP to SdC, 2023
CF, 2024
.....how many actually walk the entire Frances?
Are there any numbers on this?
Kinda thought there would be more on the sign-ups. Is this because the Europeans pilgrims wouldn't be on this English-speaking site?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Your number seems a bit large. The Compostela total for last year for ALL Caminos was about 438,000. The largest annual total ever. Of that about 227,000 were from the Camino Frances but most only in the section from Sarria. I'm not clear what you mean by "the entire Frances" but the pilgrim office statistics page will give you numbers who started at key points like SJPDP, Roncesvalles and Pamplona.

Kinda thought there would be more on the sign-ups. Is this because the Europeans pilgrims wouldn't be on this English-speaking site?
sign-ups? You mean here on the forum? It would never cross my mind to post my Camino plans here and I think the vast majority of Camino walkers never register their intentions anywhere in advance of their arrival at their departure point. Even then registering with the pilgrim office in SJPDP is entirely voluntary.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Not sure if I understand you correctly. Only a very very small percentage of the total numbers of pilgrims announce this on this forum, so the number of sign-ups does not say very much.

Btw There are many European pilgrims participating on this forum, as this in an international forum. But us Europeans are a funny lot. Some of us, even those who are not from the UK, actually speak English.

Are you looking at the number of Forum members, or the monthly check-in threads, as indicators of number of people walking the Frances? Those are absolutely not good clues, for a number of reasons:
  • Most (probably about 75%) pilgrims are not from English speaking countries. Of course, many others do speak English, but they may prefer to use the many information sources in their language.
  • Of English speaking pilgrims, many are completely unaware of this Forum
  • Of those who do get information from the forum, most do not bother to join.
  • Only a tiny percentage of forum members post their plans on one of the monthly starting threads. It is just a place where those members who want to, can post their plans.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stopped at the Pilgrim's Office last Monday with the idea of reporting my arrival for statistical purposes, not because I wanted another Compostela. I had walked the Mozárabe and San Salvador before finishing on the Primitivo to Santiago. They told me they only record how one arrives in Santiago - the final camino. They had no way to note that I had also walked the Mozárabe or that I had connected to the Primitivo from the San Salvador. A bar owner on the Mozárabe between Córdoba and Mérida said he thought 700-1000 people walk through his town each year. No one seems to know.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
hahahah! Okay Europeans, okay!!
I'm sure you heard this one:
"In Italian you sing.
In English you write.
In German, you negotiate.
In French, you love,
and in Spanish, you pray."
(from a Spanish King apparently!)
That sounds like a rather liberal interpretation of what Charles V supposedly once said.

Charles V was King of Spain (Castille and Aragon), King of Germany, King of Italy and Holy Roman Emporer. He spoke French (the language of the aristocracy in Flanders where he was born and grew up), Latin and Dutch, knew some German and had to start learning Spanish when he was 17.

No English, apparently.

🙃

PS: His full title, according to the EN Wikipedia:

Charles, by the grace of God, Emperor of the Romans, forever August, King in (of) Germany, King of Italy, King of all Spains, of Castile, Aragon, León, of Hungary, of Dalmatia, of Croatia, Navarra, Grenada, Toledo, Valencia, Galicia, Majorca, Sevilla, Cordova, Murcia, Jaén, Algarves, Algeciras, Gibraltar, the Canary Islands, King of both Hither and Ultra Sicily, of Sardinia, Corsica, King of Jerusalem, King of the Indies, of the Islands and Mainland of the Ocean Sea, Archduke of Austria, Duke of Burgundy, Brabant, Lorraine, Styria, Carinthia, Carniola, Limburg, Luxembourg, Gelderland, Neopatria, Württemberg, Landgrave of Alsace, Prince of Swabia, Asturia and Catalonia, Count of Flanders, Habsburg, Tyrol, Gorizia, Barcelona, Artois, Burgundy Palatine, Hainaut, Holland, Seeland, Ferrette, Kyburg, Namur, Roussillon, Cerdagne, Drenthe, Zutphen, Margrave of the Holy Roman Empire, Burgau, Oristano and Gociano, Lord of Frisia, the Wendish March, Pordenone, Biscay, Molin, Salins, Tripoli and Mechelen.

Last edited:
Charles, by the grace of God, …
Btw, the long list of titles quoted in the previous post is how the edict starts that was issued by Charles V in 1521. You know, Luther. The Diet of Worms. Always so hilarious in English. 😅

Ah, words and languages. But we are drifting … what is this thread about … oh yes, half a million but … 🙃

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That sounds like a rather liberal interpretation of what Charles V supposedly once said.

Charles V was King of Spain (Castille and Aragon), King of Germany, King of Italy and Holy Roman Emporer. He spoke French (the language of the aristocracy in Flanders where he was born and grew up), Latin and Dutch, knew some German and had to start learning Spanish when he was 17.

No English, apparently.

🙃

Charles, by the grace of God, Emperor of the Romans, forever August, King in (of) Germany, King of Italy, King of all Spains, of Castile, Aragon, León, of Hungary, of Dalmatia, of Croatia, Navarra, Grenada, Toledo, Valencia, Galicia, Majorca, Sevilla, Cordova, Murcia, Jaén, Algarves, Algeciras, Gibraltar, the Canary Islands, King of both Hither and Ultra Sicily, of Sardinia, Corsica, King of Jerusalem, King of the Indies, of the Islands and Mainland of the Ocean Sea, Archduke of Austria, Duke of Burgundy, Brabant, Lorraine, Styria, Carinthia, Carniola, Limburg, Luxembourg, Gelderland, Neopatria, Württemberg, Landgrave of Alsace, Prince of Swabia, Asturia and Catalonia, Count of Flanders, Habsburg, Tyrol, Gorizia, Barcelona, Artois, Burgundy Palatine, Hainaut, Holland, Seeland, Ferrette, Kyburg, Namur, Roussillon, Cerdagne, Drenthe, Zutphen, Margrave of the Holy Roman Empire, Burgau, Oristano and Gociano, Lord of Frisia, the Wendish March, Pordenone, Biscay, Molin, Salins, Tripoli and Mechelen.
Interesting where Barcelona comes in the list, so far from the other Spanish locations.

No English, apparently.

🙃

Any truth to the rumor his friends just called him Chuck? 😂🙄😎

Your number seems a bit large. The Compostela total for last year for ALL Caminos was about 438,000. The largest annual total ever. Of that about 227,000 were from the Camino Frances but most only in the section from Sarria. I'm not clear what you mean by "the entire Frances" but the pilgrim office statistics page will give you numbers who started at key points like SJPDP, Roncesvalles and Pamplona.
there are also those like me who walk it, don't register at St-Jean and don't get a compostela because they have already done it and got one compostela.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
there are also those like me who walk it, don't register at St-Jean and don't get a compostela because they have already done it and got one compostela.
Or those like me who didn't get a Compostela on my first Camino (because it wasn't about that) but did get one on my second Camino (without registering at St. Jean, which really has nothing to do with getting a Compostela).

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back