• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nearly there!!

geordie63

This coming monday I fly to Biarritz, head down to St. Jean Pied de Port & start hiking the 800km to Santiago much the same as millions of folk before me. The initial feelings of excitement have been tempered a little with feelings of nervousness but I'm still very much looking forward to my first ever trek. I've bought everything I need & a few things I didn't need. I've made several packing lists & packed & re-packed my bag several times. I think less planning probably went into the Apollo moon landings than what I've had to do for this trip but I've enjoyed every minute of it & would like to thank contributors on this forum particularly for the wealth of knowledge I've gained from this site.

From never even having heard of the Camino only 3 months ago to be being inspired to walk it simply because like many others I guess, from watching the film "The Way" it's now time for me to actually do it.

Another thing I'd like to mention is how touched I've been with the generosity of people. Whether it be family, friends or total strangers I have received nothing but encouragement. I decided early on to try & raise funds for MS Ireland, a charity I hold close to my heart as it's a condition I have had for many years. I've been one of the lucky ones & although I have my limitations I have seen peoples' lives decimated through the illness so I have nothing to complain about. To date I've raised nearly €1500 for MS Ireland & that I think is my biggest motivating factor. I have no idea if my legs will hold out but I can only give it my best shot.

Anyway, thanks evrybody here for your support, advice & encouragement & wish me well on my trek!

Buen Camino.

Dave

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
raising funds for charity is an EXCELLENT idea! I am going to steal it and use my walk to raise funds for breast cancer. Thank you so much for that wonderful idea and good luck on your camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Many thanks. May I wish you well in raising funds for your very worthwhile cause too. Although times are tough for many people in the global economic climate I found that so many happily donated as they realised the effort I would be making. As I mentioned it really has motivated me too, to try & be successful with my challenge. I've never raised funds before, other than bob-a job week for the cubs almost 40 years ago :D but a few euro here & there & you'll find it soon adds up & at the end of the day any fundraising, no matter how small the amount is better than nothing. The MS Ireland society were also very supportive providing me with advice, tee-shirts, posters or anything really so no doubt your local breast cancer charity will be equally helpful should you need anything.

Good luck with your Camino walk & your fund raising efforts. I wish you well.

Dave

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just one other thing Vagabondette which you may find helpful to raise funds, I set up a page on mycharity.ie (Dave Johnson's Camino walk) for anyone wishing to donate directly without me having to collect the funds personally & I found that to be very successful with hundreds of Euro being donated through the internet. I guess you may have a similar online charity page where you are. Also, I posted about my walk on my Facebook page and received donations that way too. Just thought I'd mention it to help you.

Best wishes,

Dave

Thanks for the suggestions. I was planning to use Paypal with a direct link to the charity for those who prefer to give directly. I'll take a look at a few different options and see what I think will work best. I've already started planning the campaign and made the official announcement on FB. Almost makes me wish I was living in the US as it's much easier to get donations in person rather than via the internet but it'll work either way. :)

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back