• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Necessary Sundries

EL LECHERO

Friends no Strangers
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016 PRIMITIVO 2022 LE PUY 2023
What absolute sundries do you need? Last time I walked from Astorga to SdC I had sunscreen, a bar of Dove soap, tooth paste. I hope to walk again next year. What am I missing ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I didn't see a toothbrush or comb in your list, are you only asking about consumables?
Hand sanitizer--for your blister care, to fend off foot fungi, and once in a while because the sink arrangements in the restroom were impossible to figure out.
Paper tape--for the same blisters, prevention or treatment. A bit of gauze, likewise. And some antifungal and anti-inflammatory if you tend to need those. I also carry Pepto Bismol or generic. But Loperamide type things can be had in any farmacia, they're similar.
But this may be wandering astray from your intended comments.

Antiperspirant deodorant. Stops chaffing. Helps prevents bacterial/fungal infections. Apart from the obvious places, it is great on the feet too. And your fellow pilgrims will be grateful.

Caution; some people are allergic, but I think that is mainly the perfume. I've found a supplier of a product that contains very little scent.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Since you walked from Astorga to SdC, my guess is that you have all the items you need on a daily basis for a similar walk in similar conditions. You might be missing items that are occasionally needed - first aid items, spare shoelace, duct tape etc. If you define what you mean by "absolute sundries," people might have more ideas.

The usual one carries on any travel journey. Soap, toothpaste and toothbrush. Deodorant. Sunscreen. Fingernail clippers. Etc...
Nothing complicated and whatever you forget or end up needing you can buy on the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A supply of masks

A very good advice!
We will have to live for a very long time with social distance and the use of masks.
I would suggest the chirurgical masks ( max. wear of 8 hours and then throw away in a BIN ) on the Camino seeing you will not always be able to wash a cotton mask on the necessary 60 degrees C.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
What absolute sundries do you need? Last time I walked from Astorga to SdC I had sunscreen, a bar of Dove soap, tooth paste. I hope to walk again next year. What am I missing ?
Always have a portion of emergency toilet paper on hand. Ditch the Dove soap for some castile soap that you can use for washing body, hair, socks, and underwear! And some lip balm would help. A small square of MoleSkin and a small multipurpose Swiss Army knife would be useful.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dr. Bronners Castile soap for showers and laundry. I was very impressed with that particular brand of soap for washing clothes; really got the job done.

Yes to the emergency toilet paper! Also, I always saved plastic bags to stuff used toilet paper, then disposed the bag in the next village/town. Keeps things nice and tidy.

Oh and this was my all time favorite gadget: a mini sewing kit...about the size of a credit card. I'm not a sewer at all, but that little kit ended up being a life saver! I used it to patch up my backpack, take in a dress because I lost so much weight, etc. Then again, I was walking for 3 months; may not be necessary for your camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When you need toilet paper your world is much less complicated if have arranged to have a supply at hand. (So to speak).
I carry a zip lock quart freezer bag with a few feet of folded strong -when-wet paper towels. In the same bag I include some lighter zip bags to safely carry soiled towels to a trash bin. (Never flush the towel. The plumber will curse you. )
I find that the towels are useful for all sorts of things where toilet paper or Kleenex would be useless.
The whole thing weighs an ounce or two. I bring it anytime I travel. Not just on caminos.

I haven't personally experienced that, and hopefully I won't! 🤢
I had a couple of emergencies along The Camino and I found that a small pack of wetwipes comes in handy! I also noticed that wherever I ducked behind a bush to take care of business, someone else had already had the same idea as me!!! Another humbling experience!

Dr. Bronners Castile soap for showers and laundry. I was very impressed with that particular brand of soap for washing clothes; really got the job done.

Yes to the emergency toilet paper! Also, I always saved plastic bags to stuff used toilet paper, then disposed the bag in the next village/town. Keeps things nice and tidy.

Oh and this was my all time favorite gadget: a mini sewing kit...about the size of a credit card. I'm not a sewer at all, but that little kit ended up being a life saver! I used it to patch up my backpack, take in a dress because I lost so much weight, etc. Then again, I was walking for 3 months; may not be necessary for your camino.
Big second on the versatility of Dr. Bronner's. You can use this (with appropriate dilutions) for nearly everything, including (yuk, I know), substitute for toothpaste. Rinsing Dove is next to impossible & the residual smell is nauseating to me. Also, I have safety pins, clothespins & paracord on my list.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Anti histamine tablets and anti histamine cream - I have quite strong allergic reactions to bed bugs and mozzies
Flip flops for showers and evening footwear lol
Cotton scarf doubles as towel, keeps sun off in day, in evenings is an extra layer
Flask for hot water - I love coffee! This is a lot of extra weight tho so only for the truly caffeine-addicted. Also it's more use out of season when loads of cafes and shops are shut
EAR PLUGS. absolute necessity!
Plastic bag packing inside rucksack in case you get super wet. My bag cover isn't foolproof so I like to ensure clothes and sleeping bag will definitely be dry. I am probs quite extra about this after getting a drenching day after day on the pennine way in the uk - walked from edale to Scotland in the wettest August on record
A buff. In v hot weather you can put water on it and keep your head cool, in cold you can use it to keep wind / rain out of your ears and its super light
Ahhhh I want to go again!!!!

Ten feet / three meters of light weight line and 10-15 safety pins to serve two primary purposes: clothes line when there is none or there’s no room on the albergue drying line and a privacy screen. (Run the line around your lower bunk and hang your shower towel or poncho from the line).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In addition to all the basics mentioned, I take a tube of lipstick for evenings after showering to get ready for going out to dinner. It helps to perk me up and I feel a bit more like a "lady".🙂
I agree, mine is a tube of tinted SPF 20 lip balm which since it is sheer can also double as a blusher, but if I have been walking in the sun that is not usually necessary. 😊

Other than sunscreen, I did not bring any kind of lotion. It was warm and dry and I ended up purchasing some hand lotion when my fingers began to crack. But if you need such things, buy them there so that you are not carrying anything you don't need.

Immodium, cold pills, migraine pills, toothpaste, small bottle of dishwashing liquid for washing clothes as well as me, tiny flask of oil for skin and hair, band-aids, hand sanitizer.

I had a couple of emergencies along The Camino and I found that a small pack of wetwipes comes in handy! I also noticed that wherever I ducked behind a bush to take care of business, someone else had already had the same idea as me!!! Another humbling experience!
If one must "duck behind a bush" only to find someone has been there first then a basic rule of trekking has been violated. Dig a hole & cover it up afterward; simply common courtesy This requires some sort of digging tool that is located with the emergency TP and zip-locks to pack out soiled TP. REI has these light, simple tools for < $5.

If one must "duck behind a bush" only to find someone has been there first then a basic rule of trekking has been violated. Dig a hole & cover it up afterward; simply common courtesy This requires some sort of digging tool that is located with the emergency TP and zip-locks to pack out soiled TP. REI has these light, simple tools for < $5.
Yes, right behind a wall one time there must have been hundreds of wads of toilet paper. Mainly from women urinating. No feces found. And oh.... the flies.....No cool at all

I always carry waxed dental floss and a variety of needles. Besides its obvious use it is an excellent very strong thread for repairing backpacks, buttons, etc. With a curved darning needle it can be used to sew a wound.

It does indeed have many uses beyond dental hygiene, but suturing using non-sterile equipment would be very much a last resort and unlikely to be necessary in a country with well developed emergency care facilities and excellent mobile ‘phone coverage.

A ‘sundry’ which weighs nothing could be attendance on a simple first-aid course. The ability to staunch bleeding, perform CPR and recognise and address a MI, stroke or hypoglycaemia could be lifesaving. Conditions occasioned by excess heat are also a consideration in Iberia. (If you come from northern England, as do I, two consecutive sunny days count as a heatwave.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back