Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Necessary to book albergues ahead of time?

Book your Bus ticket here

bmac123

Past OR future Camino
Hey all!

I've decided to walk the Primitivo from Lugo to Santiago and then continue onward to Muxia and Finisterre. The dates I will be doing this is July 21-31 or so. Is it necessary to book my accommodation ahead of time, or will I be able to find municipal albergues along the route without reservation? Thoughts? I have booked one for Santiago because I know it'll be packed that day.

Thank you!

Camino Creative Credencial Workshop
A two-part workshop that guides you into creating a credencial and shares it online
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
Get your today and start planning.

davebugg

A Pilgrimage is time I spend praying with my feet
Past OR future Camino
Flexibility is the key.

If you are dedicated and dead-set on only staying in Alburgues within the town you stop at for the night, then yes, if they take reservations be sure and do that.

However, If you are willing to stay in other lodging choices as needed, like a hotel or a casa rural OR if you are willing to take a taxi or bus to spend the night where an Alburgue has space, returning by bus or taxi the next morning to where you left off, then no, you probably do not need to make any reservations.

Thomas1962

Past OR future Camino
2010/2011/2012/2013: Madrid -Salvador -Primitivo 2014: EPW 2015: Amsterdam - SdC
You seem to aim on being in Santiago on Sint James day. It will be the most busy week of the year and I suppost that will be the most busy week ever.
I would reserve for sure, or take another week for your camino.

JoAnn Reyes

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014 and 2016
Camino Portuguese 2017 and 2018
Regarding Booking ahead in Santiago - What is happening the weekend of June 17-20? Everything is booked from Albergues to hostales to hotels to Airbnb....Those that are available are over $300 for that weekend only! Is there a huge event happening?? I could only find lodging 20Km outside of Santiago in a hostal for $80 dollars per night.

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Create your own ad
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

davebugg

A Pilgrimage is time I spend praying with my feet
Past OR future Camino
For those relying on a Booking.com type site to make reservations, be aware that lodging facilities do not typically list all bed or hotel space online. The best bet is to either call or email the lodging directly, or look for their online site to try and book. .

dbier

Past OR future Camino
Last 114km Camino Frances, Jul 21
2023 - Camino P
Hey, bmac!
My husband and I went from Sarria to Santiago, arriving on the Saturday before the Feast of St James last year. (24 July 2021).

We booked everything. And, beginning in Melide, more and more peregrinos were concerned and complaining about not finding rooms. And Covid restrictions were worse then.

The other thing that I am grateful that
we did was spend the first day in Santiago getting our Compostelas, and the second going to Mass through the insane crowds. You may want to reverse A and B, but by all means plan 2 nights in Santiago to get everything accomplished.

Buen Camino!

Past OR future Camino
Flexibility is the key.

If you are dedicated and dead-set on only staying in Alburgues within the town you stop at for the night, then yes, if they take reservations be sure and do that.

However, If you are willing to stay in other lodging choices as needed, like a hotel or a casa rural OR if you are willing to take a taxi or bus to spend the night where an Alburgue has space, returning by bus or taxi the next morning to where you left off, then no, you probably do not need to make any reservations.
This is a topic that we discuss endlessly on this forum. I love to yammer on about it. This post here by @davebugg is the most succinct and informative take I have read! It says it all, I believe.

JoAnn Reyes

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014 and 2016
Camino Portuguese 2017 and 2018
Excuse me, is there a huge event happening? A very much anticipated Holy year, and in the days prior to the feast day of Santiago...
I found out there is a 3 day outdoor music concert in Santiago from 16 to 18 June. Expected attendance over 100,000!! Hence the shortage of accommodation.
☹️
. So I took a deep breath, regrouped and booked a hostal in O Pedrouzo ($80 euros) 20 km out of Santiago on the Frances route. So I'll walk in to Santiago as planned on the Portuguese route, enjoy the day in Santiago and then take a 25 min, 4 Euro bus ride there and back as I choose.

jeanineonthecamino

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2021, 2022
I found out there is a 3 day outdoor music concert in Santiago from 16 to 18 June. Expected attendance over 100,000!! Hence the shortage of accommodation.
☹️
. So I took a deep breath, regrouped and booked a hostal in O Pedrouzo ($80 euros) 20 km out of Santiago on the Frances route. So I'll walk in to Santiago as planned on the Portuguese route, enjoy the day in Santiago and then take a 25 min, 4 Euro bus ride there and back as I choose.
You made me nervous - but I should not arrive before June 20- so hopefully I will be OK! (That is if I do Frances fast - 28 days)

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
Get your today and start planning.

iangc

Past OR future Camino
July 2022
Hey, bmac!
My husband and I went from Sarria to Santiago, arriving on the Saturday before the Feast of St James last year. (24 July 2021).

We booked everything. And, beginning in Melide, more and more peregrinos were concerned and complaining about not finding rooms. And Covid restrictions were worse then.

The other thing that I am grateful that
we did was spend the first day in Santiago getting our Compostelas, and the second going to Mass through the insane crowds. You may want to reverse A and B, but by all means plan 2 nights in Santiago to get everything accomplished.

Buen Camino!
What time should we arrive on feast day of st James to get a place for mass

dbier

Past OR future Camino
2023 - Camino P
I am afraid that I can't tell you. Last year, they rescheduled every Mass on the Feast Day to accommodate the King of Spain and the local dignitaries (1030 and noon Masses were closed to the public, and we waited in line for 4 hours to get into the last Mass of that day...Covid). I only found that out when we got to the Cathedral by asking an English guide/door watcher. Perhaps the Cathedral's website had that information....but my Spanish wasn't that good.

dbier

Past OR future Camino
2023 - Camino P
My point was, if we'd also had to fit in the 5 hours it took us the previous day to get our Compostelas (40 min on queue after the QR code to get our ticket numbers, then 4 hours and 20 minutes for our numbers to come up)...we would have had to skip one or the other.

If you're arriving in Santiago either on or just before the Feast Day, do yourself a favor and plan 2 nights in Santiago.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 105 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads