• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Necessary to buy new John Brierley guide?

athenaanne

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2015
Hi,

I'm starting my Camino next week and have the 2014 version of John Brierley's Camino Frances guidebook but just discovered that he released a new 2015 version in March.
I'm wondering whether buying the updated version is warranted? Do the albergue lists or any other details change much year by year?
If so, since it's a bit late for me to order it in before I start, are English language guidebooks readily available in St Jean?

Thank you very much in advance. :) :)

P.s I'm sorry if this is a silly question or if it's been asked before!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Albergues do not change that rapidly. There probably are a few additions in the new edition. English language books are a bit hard to find in SJPdP, but this early in the season, you may get lucky!

There are camino books here: http://www.directioncompostelle.com/

I wouldn't worry, I still walk with my battered and annotated 2011 edition. Your 2014 Guidebook will be slightly more out of date than the 2015 publication (that was probably surveyed & prepped in 2014). The route doesn't change much apart from diversions around road-works and such which are generally clearly marked on the ground. The Pilgrims' Office in StJdlP will provide you with a typed list of Albergues and facilities along the route that will be as up-to-date as can be achieved.

Follow the yellow arrows and stop when you are ready rather than follow the guide. You will be aware that pilgrims adhering to JB's recommended stages often find themselves chasing beds when the Albergue 5k sooner or 5k farther is half empty.

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
he does not list all Albergues , your older book will be fine.You will find Albergues when you enter most villages anyway and there is a full list you can download to phone which has more detail,like laundry facilities,driers etc on the download.The download should be on this site somewhere.I got it but cannot remember from where?

Hi,

I'm starting my Camino next week and have the 2014 version of John Brierley's Camino Frances guidebook but just discovered that he released a new 2015 version in March.
I'm wondering whether buying the updated version is warranted? Do the albergue lists or any other details change much year by year?
If so, since it's a bit late for me to order it in before I start, are English language guidebooks readily available in St Jean?

Hi, you can use your 2014 guidebook no problem at all. Wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

I had been using an older '11 version, and having torn the pages out this year, ordered a new one from Ivar (it came very quickly, thanks, Ivar!)
A few maps have been corrected in the new version, and there are some updates and small changes here and there, but it'll be fine.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The only thing that would change that quickly might be albuergues, and the Brierly isn't very good for those anyway. You should make sure to take the Confraternity of St James guidebook, even if you want to take the Brierly as well.

A far better book, in my view, is Brierley's Camino de Santiago Maps:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S348OBW/?tag=casaivar02-20

It is far lighter than his Guide and has none of the spiritual witterings and detailed descriptions of monuments and churches that take up so much space and add so much weight to the bigger tome.

If you just want to know the route and the main sights to look out for, go for the Maps. And as Tincatinker wisely suggests above, don't be a slave to Brierley's recommended daily distances - going another few kilometres often results in plenty of available albergue space.

A far better book, in my view, is Brierley's Camino de Santiago Maps:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S348OBW/?tag=casaivar02-20

It is far lighter than his Guide and has none of the spiritual witterings and detailed descriptions of monuments and churches that take up so much space and add so much weight to the bigger tome.

If you just want to know the route and the main sights to look out for, go for the Maps. And as Tincatinker wisely suggests above, don't be a slave to Brierley's recommended daily distances - going another few kilometres often results in plenty of available albergue space.
Get the maps book on Kindle! Just as good with no additional weight!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If anyone has the 2015 Brierley maps only book, can you please tell me if it has a ruled note section on the page opposite each map? I just realised the one for the Portuguese has this very useful addition. Thank you.

Awesome... Thank you all so much for your help! I can't get over how helpful and welcoming this whole forum is!

I found the list of all the albergues on the forum: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...lbergues-on-the-camino-frances-in-one-pdf.10/

It looks like an incredibly useful resource. I'll download it onto my phone and refer to it. I like the idea of playing it by ear and stopping whenever I feel ready instead of with a crowd at each one of Brierley's stages.

I'll keep the 2014 book, simply because I'm a research student in Medieval Christianity and I want to be aware of any of the site detours and background information on the churches/monuments. It's a unique opportunity! Does the Confraternity of St James guidebook have better/more detailed information?

By the way - thanks Falcon for posting the link to the St Jean shop... I just looked through the photos of the shop's books, walking equipment, and shells and have gotten seriously excited! I can't wait to start!
It's also good to know that I can pick up any equipment in St Jean that I may have forgotten.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
et the maps book on Kindle! Just as good with no additional weight!
Yeah, other than the weight of the kindle....;)
(And you can't have the satisfaction of ceremonially ripping out the pages at the end of the day. I love books and had a hard time doing this at first; it felt sacrilegious. But day by day the book got lighter. And now I have a new one. Win-win. Good for Mr. Brierley, good for me. :))

[Edit: athenaanne, have you seen Jose Maria Anguita Jaen's book? (The Way of St James/ The Pilgrim's Practical Guide, Editorial Everest,, Leon.) It's way too heavy to carry but a lot of that weight is a ton of background and historical information.]

Last edited:
If anyone has the 2015 Brierley maps only book, can you please tell me if it has a ruled note section on the page opposite each map? I just realised the one for the Portuguese has this very useful addition. Thank you.
It does have ruled note section for most but not all maps. Some are very small though.

Attached is an example of a typical couple of pages from the Maps book (mine is the 2014 edition). No ruled section. (I'm not sure why one would want a ruled section - I never felt the need to make notes.)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you, @Lachance and @John Finn - good news! I like having space to make notes on where I have stayed or other memorable things, and as a repeat offender these notes sometimes come in very handy. I also like to make notes of recommended foods, routes, restaurants and albergues before I go. So far I have been using the Anaya cuaderno del peregrino, which is a mix between map stages and ruled note paper, and this sounds perfect for me.

Oh and @athenaanne : When we were on our honeymoon camino in March this year, my husband carried the Brierley maps-only guide from (I just checked) 2008 and we were never lost once! Our biggest problem was it was before Easter so lots of places were closed.

The Camino Frances is almost excessively signposted, and there are plenty of restaurants and albergues. You know, there are pilgrims that don't carry any guide, they just go and start walking; when they are hungry look for a restaurant, and when they are tired ask for the nearer albergue, and have a great experience anyway. There is not a perfect Camino, as there are not perfect lifes...So, coming back to your question, I think your old guide is as good as any "updated" edition.

Your 2014 edition will do nicely, I'm sure.

I haven't bought the 2015 edition, but I will before my upcoming September Camino. I'm told that 1) the physical size of the book has shrunk, which means that the full-page maps are startlingly/annoyingly smaller, but also that 2) a number of useful city maps have been added.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you everyone for your really helpful information. I'll definitely stick to this guidebook but will try and relax, go with the flow and simply follow those yellow arrows...

And thanks Viranani for the book suggestion. I looked it up on my university database and it turns we have two copies of it in storage. I don't have enough time to look through it before I leave but I will borrow it when I get back to hopefully reminisce and fill in any historical background info.

The Camino Frances is almost excessively signposted, and there are plenty of restaurants and albergues. You know, there are pilgrims that don't carry any guide, they just go and start walking; when they are hungry look for a restaurant, and when they are tired ask for the nearer albergue, and have a great experience anyway. There is not a perfect Camino, as there are not perfect lifes...So, coming back to your question, I think your old guide is as good as any "updated" edition.
Amen to that. Although I used the guide for the Portuguese route from Lisbon, I had never heard of it before walking the French route. I saw many other people on the first few days with their noses in it and wondered what it was. When I borrowed a copy to browse one day, I was not overly impressed. I thought to myself at the time, why do I want to know what is around the corner before I get there? I was already enjoying my walk without getting lost, enjoying the spontaneity and enjoying the experiences where the Camino led me. I can't say the same for the other routes but the French one definitely does not require a guidebook.

Hi,

I would not buy the new one. He has changed some optional to recommended routes that left me baffled partcularly changing the route from Villar de Mazarif to the uninspiring boring trek to Villadangas. He gives a good report of an albergue in Valverde that is closed and up for sale. Judging by the overgrown gardens, it has been closed for quite some time. Where he has not made changes, which are few and strange, it is identical to my 2013 edition so keep your money and use the old one unless you particularly want a smaller and slightly lighter edition

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi,

I have the older one, and I'm not spending more money! You shouldn't either.

A cheaper guide book is Walking the Camino de Santiago by Gerald Kelly. You can get it on Amazon, the maps are b/w, but the is a lot of info in it, and it's a lot cheaper. £4.04

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
An 'experienced' Brierley guide almost carries itself. My 2011 worked fine in 2013. Even worked well in bright sunlight and never needed charging!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back