• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need a sleeping bag on the Le Puy route?

Felix32

G'day everyone. I'm walking the camino for the first time, starting at Le Puy on 16th August and finishing at St Jean, giving myself 7 weeks. I'll try the Spanish leg next year. I usually take a sleeping bag but from my reading it appears that you could get by without one if you try to stay at gites. What has been others' experience?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Most places on the Le Puy route provide good clean blankets, though you need your own sleeping sheet/silk liner of some sort usually. And most places are well heated if it is cold. But I can't say that absolutely all places have blankets..... from memory, it is possible a few gites don't.
Margaret

I was on the Le Puy route in the colder months of May and June with just a nylon liner. I found a blanket everywhere I needed one.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I took a sleeping bag on the Le Puy route, mainly because I was worried a silk liner would not give me enough protection from potentially scratchy or grubby blankets. Actually a silk liner would have been fine fom both these perspectives, I do like to stick my feet and legs out at night, which I could not have done with my liner. Food for thought...Gitti

Walking from Le Puy on 6 Sept. It appears the consensus is that a silk sleep-sack is adequate? That I can leave the very lightweight sleeping bag behind? After all, to coin a phrase, "A pound's a pound the whole world round."

If you are starting from Le Puy on the 6th Sept, I would be inclined to take a thermal sleeping sheet rather than a silk one. I would think that by that time the Aubrac Plateau might be starting to get a bit cool at night, and certainly by the time you get to the foothills around the Pyreenees it will be quite chilly. Most places have blankets, but if the gites are full you will probably only get one blanket, thus a slightly heavier sheet that is potentially 4 or 5 degrees warmer might be a better way to go.
Cheers, Janet

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've just returned from walking Le Puy to Cahors. The silk sleep sack was quite sufficient (and warmer than the Coolmax sleep sack alternative). Every accommodation I used had one (or more) blankets in good condition, at the least. I was actually very comfortable.

One note on the silk sleep sacks. Do try getting into one before you leave home. The entry openings are a bit tight if your legs are long, and I spent the next morning with a pair of scissors, carefully letting out some of the seam to make entry/exit less contortional.

I developed a method of getting in to my silk bag (when I needed to, as most of the time I slept on it, not in it) by sitting on the edge of the bed and slipping my legs in, standing up and quickly hoisting the bag up to my shoulders and then lying down enclosed in it. I did the reverse for getting out - keeping to the minimum with floor contact, and of course being careful where I stood. That solved all the contortionist problems. Cheers, Janet

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back