• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need advise. Schengen visas & Santiago trip

maxfff

Hi All!
We are 5 ukrainian guys,who decided to make Santiago way walk travel next year.
We have a great experience in outdoor trips, but most of them were in Russia and Ukraine (Crimea, Ural mountains etc.). So maps, fitness, outdoor lifestyle is not a problem for us.

There is a big issue for us to make such travel - we need a Schengen Visas(EU and US guys, you're really lucky :D )

To get this visas we have to book hotels and confirm booking in Spain Embassy. But we wanted to live in pilgrim hostels, if we are booking hotels we'll run out of our budget :). Another way is to buy a tour in agency but It's not possible to find such kind of tour in Ukraine.

Ok, in all cases this problem is new for us, so any advise will be helpful.
By the way, please give your suggestion which part of road is the best for us.
Our plan: 10-14 days, 30 km per day.
Thanx Yall! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
South Africans also need a Schengen visa when visiting Europe.
The two Embassies know all about the camino and are very good about accepting our applications.
What they ask is that we type out an itinerary of our intended walk (you don't have to stick to it when you get there) and name all the pilgrim refuges that we will stay in. Also to make a note that we cannot book these ahead and that most are donation only.
Something from http://www.godesalco.com/plan will do for you. eg: 11 days from Leon to Santiago

FROM LEĂłN TO SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA THROUGH THE CAMINO DE SANTIAGO
Table generated by Godesalco.com on 29 November 2007.

SUMMARY
Longest stage: Melide - RĂşa: 32.1 km.
Shortest stage: RĂşa - Santiago de Compostela: 20.7 km.
Total distance: 312.3 km. Stages: 11. Average: 28.4 km each walking day.

STAGES
1) LeĂłn - Hospital de Ă“rbigo 32 km 32 km 2R, P, C, H
2) Hospital de Ă“rbigo - Santa Catalina de Somoza 25.6 km 57.6 km R, P
3) Santa Catalina de Somoza - El Acebo 27.6 km 85.2 km R, 2P
4) El Acebo - Cacabelos 31.2 km 116.4 km R, H
5) Cacabelos - La Faba 31 km 147.4 km R
6) La Faba - Triacastela 25.6 km 173 km R, 3P, H
7) Triacastela - Barbadelo 28.9 km 201.9 km R, H
8) Barbadelo - Gonzar 26.3 km 228.2 km R
9) Gonzar - Melide 31.3 km 259.5 km R, H
10) Melide - RĂşa 32.1 km 291.6 km H
11) RĂşa - Santiago de Compostela 20.7 km 312.3 km R, P, C, H

ABBREVIATIONS
R: pilgrims public hostel.
P: pilgrims private hostel.
A: youth hostel.
C: campsite.
H: hotel, inn, lodging house...
FR: outside the pathway.

Hope this helps,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In late April 2006 I started on the camino. As early as December 2005 I have already submitted an application for a Schengen Visa (yes, US and EU people are lucky -- they can just leave for the camino on a whim). It is an unusual sort of 'vacation' where there are no confirmed reservations with a travel company or a hotel. I just showed the consul how I had organized my days of walking (day-to-day itinerary, which was never followed), and that only my first night in Spain will have a confirmed hotel reservation (substantiated by an email from the hotel). They asked who was the travel agent that helped me organize this and I replied I did it all via Internet. This is uncommon for Filipinos traveling to Europe on a holiday.

I think the bottom line is you have to show the interviewer that you know what you are doing, and that you have the resources to do it. A credit card bill showing good standing or bank statement with an impressive(?) balance across several months should suffice.

Good luck.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back