• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need alternate routes for some longer stages of the VF route

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
I have been looking at the stages in volume 1 of the VF guide written by Paul Chin and Babette Gallard. A few of the stages are much longer than I want to walk in a day (I will be walking in May/June).

Does anyone have shorter alternates for the following routes?

Chalons en Champagne - le Meix-Tiercelin (39.1km); Clairvaux sur Aube - Mormant (39km); Langres - Champlitte (39.4km). There are a few other 35km stages that I am also trying to split up. I won't be carrying a tent or camping gear so I will be reliant on finding accommodation.

With breaks and adjusting for ascents, the long stages would take me 11 hours or so. Far too long for me for a 767km walk.

BTW, the guides are very good, quite different from either Brierley's guide for the Camino Frances or the MMD guide for the Le Puy route. I will try to post some more impressions once I have studied the books some more.

Thx for any help.

Bob M

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't speak French and I am not familiar with this part of France, but I dug around a bit on Mapquest and GoogleMaps (nothing like a good puzzle to solve before breakfast!).

Chalons en Champagne - le Meix-Tiercelin (39.1km): Cernon looks like the logical stage break.

Clairvaux sur Aube - Mormant (39km): there is a break at Longeau/Percey-le-Pautel (I cannot tell which is the larger town)

Langres - Champlitte (39.4km): if you go by way of Bricon, that makes a logical break

Perhaps you have a lodging site or guide that could identify accommodations in these towns?

Kitsambler said:
.....but I dug around a bit on Mapquest and GoogleMaps (nothing like a good puzzle to solve before breakfast!) Perhaps you have a lodging site or guide that could identify accommodations in these towns?

Thx for your pre-breakfast work :)

There are a few good accommodation websites that focus on France, so I am sure I will be able to find places to stay - although the longer stages on the relatively "unknown" pilgrimage routes don't have the luxury of choices on say the Camino Frances.

Bob M

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ah, but you're the venturesome sort, I know. And you'll be taking copious notes for a CSJ route guide update, I'm sure!

There is NO accommodation or food between Chalons en Champagne and Le Miex Tiercelin, and only very limited accommodation when you get there. Be sure to book ahead. The Lightfoot guide offers an alternative walk but I think it adds a couple of days to the walk. This was the only day we had to walk 11 hours.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back