• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need current information on the Camino Ingles

sophiehebrides

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles 2016
I'm struggling to think about much other than my walk today, which begins in a couple of days, and I'm wondering if anyone has up-to-date information on Albergues - which are open on route, which were full(?) and what to do if I turn up and no beds are available (is it easy enough to book private accommodation if that happens?).

Also any recommendations for delicious food ;) (and wine)...

I know Catholic Deacon has just returned, and I think you said some Albergues were full?! If you could let me know which ones that would be much appreciated.

Finally, I've been reading about bugs on other forum threads.. what is the Ingles like for bedbugs, should I be spraying? I'm pretty used to midges and cleggs but not sure I'm down with bitey bedbugs!

Oops one more thing - If I begin in Ferrol at midday-ish will that give me enough time to get to Pontedueme i.e. is the walking hard on that section? or should I think about stopping sooner, although Neda seems a little too close and will leave a long day the next to get to Betanzos. Are there alternative accommodations on the stretch between Neda and Pontedueme?

Sophie

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I assume you have Johnnie Walker's guide. I cannot comment on the albergues being full or not. Did Catholic Deacon walk at Easter? If so then there would obviously be more walking then than now. Sorry but it's Neda or Pontedueme. The hill up from Fene and then down to Pontedueme is a little tiring at the end of a days walk. But what of stopping at Neda and going to Mino the next day? (26k)
Buen Camino

The albergues are this route are nearly always open, I have walked it lots of times, the last time at the beginning of March. But I usually stay in hostels then I do not need to carry a sleeping bag. I have never found it a problem getting accommodation. Easter is generally busy.
Al is right about the first day, it's a long way to Pontedueme if you do not start until midday.
Enjoy your camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@JohnnieWalker 's guide is downloadable through the forum (for a donation) and also Gronze gives some information re distances and accommodation, some of which is new since the last guide was published.
IMO Ferrol to Pontedeume is too far for a first day even if starting in the morning and will be a late arrival if starting at mid-day. That means you could arrive when the albergue had filled up. However it is either stay at Neda or walk through, unless there is room at Fene in the pension.
Buen Camino

I'm struggling to think about much other than my walk today, which begins in a couple of days, and I'm wondering if anyone has up-to-date information on Albergues - which are open on route, which were full(?) and what to do if I turn up and no beds are available (is it easy enough to book private accommodation if that happens?).

Also any recommendations for delicious food ;) (and wine)...

I know Catholic Deacon has just returned, and I think you said some Albergues were full?! If you could let me know which ones that would be much appreciated.

Finally, I've been reading about bugs on other forum threads.. what is the Ingles like for bedbugs, should I be spraying? I'm pretty used to midges and cleggs but not sure I'm down with bitey bedbugs!

Oops one more thing - If I begin in Ferrol at midday-ish will that give me enough time to get to Pontedueme i.e. is the walking hard on that section? or should I think about stopping sooner, although Neda seems a little too close and will leave a long day the next to get to Betanzos. Are there alternative accommodations on the stretch between Neda and Pontedueme?

Sophie
I walked the Inglés mid-September last year. It was obviously a poplar time: the Pontedeume albergue was full (I went to Bar Luis - a little room and shower for €15). Betanzos was two-thirds full. Bruma was full and filled early in the afternoon because those walking from A Coruña join the route just before there. There were no bedbugs anywhere that I encountered, even though it was end of season. The Inglés is filling as an alternative to walking from Sarria. It is beautiful, though.

There's a whole thread about all the wonderful food on the Ingles: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/dining-the-camino-inglés.38851/#post-386827

As for wine, Galicia is known particularly for it's white wine Albariño. It goes particularly well with the seafood dishes served. And the price/quality ratio on Galician wine is tremendous. You'll do just fine asking for "un vino blanco", or, if you prefer red, "un vino tinto". Enjoy! Buen Provecho and Buen Camino!! :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Hi Sophie! @Altheoptimist is quite correct we did walk over Easter and this is probably the reason why the Albergues were full. We arrived in Santiago on Easter Monday and it was quite noticeable how quiet it was as all the (mainly Spanish) pilgrims who had been dashing to get there for the Sunday seem to have already gone back!

Although this year is the Jubilee of Mercy, with the cathedrals Holy Door open and numbers of pilgrims have, we were told, increased, I would say you will not have a problem finding somewhere to sleep :)

As for wine, Galicia is known particularly for it's white wine Albariño.

Yes my favourite! When we lived in the UK it was very difficult to find, now living in Spain I am spoilt for choice - as sadly we are probably leaving in Summer, I am beginning to stockpile! If you want a delicious red try Rectoral de Amandi from the Ribeira Sacra region. For food obviously you must have Pulpo a Feira! :) And if you are staying at the Mino albergue check out the wonderful Cafe/Bar/Restaurant Barbazul with Oreo milkshakes and Nutella toast with M&Ms!!! :)

Yes my favourite! When we lived in the UK it was very difficult to find, now living in Spain I am spoilt for choice - as sadly we are probably leaving in Summer, I am beginning to stockpile! If you want a delicious red try Rectoral de Amandi from the Ribeira Sacra region.
Alborino is now sold by Tesco and Sainsbury in their "finest" ranges at about £8 a bottle and my friend picked up a cheap one in Lidl the other day for about a fiver.
I second the red wine you mention as well. I always look out for it in restaurant or supermarket when in Spain.
This post is not going to help you find a bed Sophie but at least you will drink well ;)
Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Mig et al.

I didn't update on progress on route as I gave myself a media blackout for the duration of my trip, which was possibly as tough as some of the hills I'm so used to being online all the time!

Rather than write in this thread I'll open a new one titled 'lessons from my primero Camino Ingles' or something similar... I'm still processing the walk so I'll get on it later today.

Warmly
Sophie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back