• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need Flight Home to Canada Advice

Brenda Luco

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2018)
Hi members!
I am starting my first Camino flying from Calgary, Alberta , Canada August 28/2018 into Gatwick , then Biarritz the next day and start walking from SJPD Sept 1 /2018.
I only booked a one way flight presently as I don’t know how long the walk will take me. I am aware I can be in the country for 90 days.
My question is:
On custom forms when I enter the country do I have to specify a return flight number and date of exact return?
Hope not because I don’t yet have one!
Thanks
Brenda

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If I recall correctly, you do need to indicate your returning flight at entry. I am also from Canada, but also an EU citizen, so perhaps someone else can weigh in on *current* rules? The funny thing about travelling *in* the EU is that once you land, there are no further records of movement inside the EU, so the question is about both the landing in Gatwick -- where you are showing your through travel (so the UK won't care about your return trip and you may move freely there as a result), and the landing in Biarritz, where the French may be more concerned to know your next steps. It might be worth purchasing a train ticket into Spain (even if you don't intend to use it) just to make it so that your return date to Canada is not the concern of the French in particular.

The funny thing about travelling *in* the EU is that once you land, there are no further records of movement inside the EU, so the question is about both the landing in Gatwick -- where you are showing your through travel (so the UK won't care about your return trip and you may move freely there as a result), and the landing in Biarritz, where the French may be more concerned to know your next steps. .

I think you are confusing two different things here: the EU and the Schengen travel zone. The UK is a member of the EU (for the moment) but it is NOT part of the Schengen agreement. Someone arriving in the UK from Canada will be subject to UK border controls and further passport controls and travel records certainly apply when travelling between the UK and France or Spain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think you are confusing two different things here: the EU and the Schengen travel zone. The UK is a member of the EU (for the moment) but it is NOT part of the Schengen agreement. Someone arriving in the UK from Canada will be subject to UK border controls and further passport controls and travel records certainly apply when travelling between the UK to France.

Oh, I know the UK is still part of the EU, but I was trying to get at that issue of the UK being satisfied that the person is merely in transit, so not taking a return flight as a necessary concern there. At any rate, I think our fellow traveller will be required to have something to indicate they are neither staying in France nor in the UK.

Hi Brenda
I can't remember filling out a customs form when I arrived in Paris from Toronto. I do remember being in the lineup to talk to the customs agent, but I don't think he spoke to me. I think he just stamped my passport and smiled. Maybe another Canadian can tell you for sure, but I know the process was very easy.

Don't know about the airports (Schengen) border controls but recently I traveled with US citizen in and out of the Schengen zone by car and it was never the issue. Once they tried to calculate the (90) days but I told them it's all OK and they just gave up, put a stamp in the passport and that was it :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On custom forms when I enter the country do I have to specify a return flight number and date of exact return?
You don't need to fill out a form when you enter Europe. You present your passport to the immigration person and answer any questions - usually "What are you going to do here and how long do you plan to stay?" You simply answer these questions and the official decides whether or not to accept you!

I am Canadian and have travelled to Europe once or twice a year for a number of years, usually direct to Europe but sometimes in transit through the UK. I don't recall ever being asked for information about my return trip.

At immigration into any country, the officials may ask you about what you are doing there and how long you plan to stay. They can refuse you, for example if they don't think you will leave within the allowed time. In theory you could be asked to show proof that you are able to support yourself and leave the country according to the rules (i.e. a return ticket). However, I have never been asked about this, and have not heard of it ever being an issue for other travelers. However, you should have a valid credit card and access to necessary cash for your planned stay and exit.

Hi Brenda
I can't remember filling out a customs form when I arrived in Paris from Toronto. I do remember being in the lineup to talk to the customs agent, but I don't think he spoke to me. I think he just stamped my passport and smiled. Maybe another Canadian can tell you for sure, but I know the process was very easy.

Plus one. This is the case. No worry.

I would contact the British and French consulates for updated and accurate information. Their knowledge would be accurate for entering EU. Britain is not a member of Schengen, but France and Spain are.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I arrived at CDG (Paris) from Montreal last year, the customs agent stamped my passport but didn't speak to me, just waved me through.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back