• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need for a sleeping bag

Milly Connors

Time of past OR future Camino
August(2016)
My sister and two friends will be commencing our Camino pilgrimage in SJPDP on the 27th August this year . We were wondering whether or not we should pack a light sleeping bag in case we encounter cold weather . Do most albergues provide a blanket in the cooler months?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most, but not all and not all of the provided are sparkling clean. I would take a sleeping bag. Buen Camino, SY

At least a sleeping liner. You don't want your bare flesh to touch anything.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'd go with a silk or cotton liner rather than a bag - Spain seems to be hot this year. The attached pdf gives a few temperatures LAST year for the start of the CF about the time they'll be starting off - if this year is similar I'd be more worried about keeping cool in a room full of steaming pilgrims :cool:

Mind you, knowing Spain, it could rain every day :eek: especially Galicia!

Attachments

• Temperatures.pdf
    114 KB · Views: 37
Do most albergues provide a blanket in the cooler months?
No, not all. I stayed in the Xunta albergue in Porrino in March this year and there were no blankets. I asked the hospitalero if he had one, but he said sadly, no. I think all Xunta albergues in Galicia don't have blankets. So it depends what your budget is whether to carry a lightweight sleeping bag or not. The more expensive private albergues will have blankets. Jill

I will be doing the Frances in September/October (less than 8 weeks off - yikes!!!) I am taking a silk liner, a bed bug sheet and a microfleece blanket which all together weighs 300 grams. Hopefully that will be ok? For colder nights I can add leggings and fleece. Please tell me (all you experienced Pilgrims out there) that you think that's ok???

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will be doing the Frances in September/October (less than 8 weeks off - yikes!!!) I am taking a silk liner, a bed bug sheet and a microfleece blanket which all together weighs 300 grams. Hopefully that will be ok? For colder nights I can add leggings and fleece. Please tell me (all you experienced Pilgrims out there) that you think that's ok???
Valerie
I walked the Camino Frances from Sept. 30 to Nov. 17 last year. I carried a fairly warm sleeping bag, which was really more than I needed. This year, I am going again, beginning a couple of weeks earlier and finishing a week earlier. I have changed to a lighter weight sleeping bag and will be spraying it with permethrin against bed bugs and wearing merino wool tights and shirt if needed. Whether you are warm enough is something no one else can really decide. Are you leaving at the beginning of September or nearer the end? Do you sleep warm or cold? How warm is your microfleece blanket? Have you tried out your sleeping gear for comfort and warmth? It can get pretty chilly in the autumn on the Frances. The heat may not be turned on until November. On the other hand, Spanish and French pilgrims often seem to be allergic to fresh air and will seal the windows shut. And of course, the body heat put out by a group of people in a small dormitory packed with bunks can be considerable. Good luck whatever you decide.

Valerie
I walked the Camino Frances from Sept. 30 to Nov. 17 last year. I carried a fairly warm sleeping bag, which was really more than I needed. This year, I am going again, beginning a couple of weeks earlier and finishing a week earlier. I have changed to a lighter weight sleeping bag and will be spraying it with permethrin against bed bugs and wearing merino wool tights and shirt if needed. Whether you are warm enough is something no one else can really decide. Are you leaving at the beginning of September or nearer the end? Do you sleep warm or cold? How warm is your microfleece blanket? Have you tried out your sleeping gear for comfort and warmth? It can get pretty chilly in the autumn on the Frances. The heat may not be turned on until November. On the other hand, Spanish and French pilgrims often seem to be allergic to fresh air and will seal the windows shut. And of course, the body heat put out by a group of people in a small dormitory packed with bunks can be considerable. Good luck whatever you decide.
Thanks Albertagirl. I do tend to sleep warm, well - as long as my feet are warm at least! Women of a certain age and all that LOL! I am leaving SJPDP on 9th Sept hoping to take 4-5 weeks so only just into Oct really. I've just bought a new fleece blanket today which is warmer and softer and folds up smaller so I think I should be ok. And if not, additional layers it is!

Buen Camino.

No, not all. I stayed in the Xunta albergue in Porrino in March this year and there were no blankets. I asked the hospitalero if he had one, but he said sadly, no. I think all Xunta albergues in Galicia don't have blankets. So it depends what your budget is whether to carry a lightweight sleeping bag or not. The more expensive private albergues will have blankets. Jill
Thanks for the feedback . I've decided to purchase Sea to Summit Ultralight sleeping bag and I already have a silk liner. It may be overkill but I'd hate to be cold.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Valerie
On the other hand, Spanish and French pilgrims often seem to be allergic to fresh air and will seal the windows shut.

What is it with these people who are allergic to fresh air? I'm a fresh air fanatic and can't sleep in a stuffy dorm. I always try to get a bunk near a window that I can have control over.

What is it with these people who are allergic to fresh air? I'm a fresh air fanatic and can't sleep in a stuffy dorm. I always try to get a bunk near a window that I can have control over.

My worst experience was in a full dorm at La Faba. It was mid-summer, July. All the windows had been closed overnight. When I woke up it was as if everyone had eaten garlic at dinner and farted all night. It reeked. I desperately needed to open a window, but at La Faba the windows open inwards and the pilgrims had put all their personal bits and pieces on the windowsills, so I dare not touch anything.

When I walk again I will buy a double cotton sheet and spray it with Permetherin.
Sew a cheap fleece blanket to it and then fold it over and sew it into a large sleeping bag liner.
I like to sleep naked so having a larger liner will be great for getting my shorts on in the morning.
The commercial sleeping bag liners that I've used in the past are all too narrow.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked in September/ October last year and found a silk liner to be enough and some Albergues have blankets. If there is a chilly night you can always put a fleece on. Buen Camino

I walked in September/ October last year and found a silk liner to be enough and some Albergues have blankets. If there is a chilly night you can always put a fleece on. Buen Camino
Thanks Pam, that's helpful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I bought a double sized silk liner and cut it down to a generous single size and added a zipper.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.