• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need for a Sleeping Mat on Via de la Plata?

andrew48

I plan to walk the via de la Plata next April. Is there a need to carry a foam sleeping mat.... or do the 'Roof & Floor' Albergues provide a mattress. I do not want to carry one unless it is a must. Andrew48 :?:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On my second camino from le puy I took a mat and in 1700 kms never used it.Curiously on the camino frances almost everyone had one and I didn't see anyone use them-leave it at home, along with those silly walking poles.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Omar

On the subject of walking poles I totally disagree with you. It is a choice we make and I found one pole great for support and balance over difficult parts of a wet Camino Portugues in May.

Everyone to their own. Cheers Rose Louise

andrew48 said:
I plan to walk the via de la Plata next April. Is there a need to carry a foam sleeping mat.... or do the 'Roof & Floor' Albergues provide a mattress. I do not want to carry one unless it is a must. Andrew48 :?:

Well, I walked VdlP two years ago. I took a foam sleeping mat and never used it.

Just my two cents
Gyro

The other point about mats that is overlooked is how they usually extend either side of a backpack. This becomes a problem when it rains and I've seen many struggling to cover their backpacks with these things sticking out.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have recently returned from the VDLP - Sevilla to Merida. I did not stop at the alberque in Guillena but I was told by somebody who did that it has just been refurbished and has new bunks and hot water. Another reason for not taking a mat.

I have walked Via de la Plata from Sevilla to Caceres April 2006 and from Caceres to Zamora 2008, both times carrying a sleeping mat. I used it twice the first year and not at all last year. I will continue in April 2009 and will not bring a mat anymore. It can happens thar you will need it, but if that happens, fint another solution. To much carrying for to little use.

i just completed the via de la plata in october. there is no need for a mat. there are alot of new albergues. i met a german man who dumped his. just extra stuff.
dawn

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After 16 days of walking (plus another three days to explore Salamanca and Zamora) I've finished my walk on the Vía de la Plata and am now continuing on the Camino Sanabres. If anyone's...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back