• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need for a tent

6 Iron

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy (Aug 2020)
Bonjour Pèlerins,

I am retiring next year, and looking forward to a walk beginning in Aug 2020. I have decided on at a minimum doing the Le Puy- SJPP chemin, but really like the idea of beginning in Geneva to walk across France. In my research, though, it seems that most on this route carry and use a tent. Are there gites or hotels available at regular (20-30 k) intervals?

Alternatively, if I did not want to carry a tent, would I be better off starting in Le Puy and continuing on the Camino into Spain if I wanted a longer walk? I speak French at an intermediate level, and Spanish at the level of a 3 yo...at best.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked from Paris to St. Jean... slept in a tent 90% of the time. However I was asked on this forum, during my camino, on the availability of gites, hotels etc through France. I couldn't see any difficulties finding one every night, and certainly didn't have any problems for my occasional stay under a roof. Just a little planning to head off stressing about it. 😉
Should you decide to camp any time; the French are incredibly relaxed about people camping pretty much anywhere.
Bon chemin! 😁

...a walk beginning in Aug 2020. I have decided on at a minimum doing the Le Puy- SJPP chemin
Congratulations on your retirement! A pilgrim walk is a lovely way to make the transition to your new way of life.

really like the idea of beginning in Geneva to walk across France. In my research, though, it seems that most on this route carry and use a tent. Are there gites or hotels available at regular (20-30 k) intervals?
Lodgings are readily available at 15k-20k intervals. No need to carry a tent, but some do. Use the yellow Amis guide for lodging listings, available here: http://chemins.amis-st-jacques.org/?page_id=6

Alternatively, if I did not want to carry a tent, would I be better off starting in Le Puy and continuing on the Camino into Spain if I wanted a longer walk?
You can start in either Geneva or Le Puy. It's about 5 weeks From Geneva, 6 weeks from Le Puy, and 7 weeks from SJPP (at my slow pace; your mileage may vary).

I speak French at an intermediate level, and Spanish at the level of a 3 yo...at best.
Speaking French at all will be quite enough - no worries!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back