• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need help cutting down on gear/weight in my pack 🙏

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept–Oct 2022
I know there's already a TON of info in the threads addressing packing and gear questions — I've read so many over the last 9 months that I think I've left myself more confused about what I need vs. what I don't — everything on my list below was taken from another Camino packing list I saw here in the forum or in various YouTube videos.

I would like to get feedback from the veterans on my list, if you don't mind. My husband and I are walking together, so his gear list is almost the same as mine — there are a few things in this list that we're sharing, but may actually be in his pack. My pack is a 36L Osprey Kyte and with all of the gear I'm planning to bring it's almost bursting at the seams and weighing in at >20lbs. I'm ~155lbs, so the weight ratio isn't too far off, but we plan to carry the bags on the airplane (flying from the US), so they will need to fit in the overhead bin (AirFrance) and I'm afraid mine is going to be too bulky right now. His pack is a 38L Osprey, and isn't quite as jam-packed as mine.

We're starting from SJPdP (Camino Frances) on Sept. 8 and hoping to finish in Finisterre Oct.11. We're planning to stay mainly in municipal and parochial albergues with a few nights here and there in private rooms in private albergues. My packing list follows — advance warning, I'm listing some items that may not be considered appropriate for "polite" conversation — sorry. I'd rather leave some of this behind now, than fly it to Spain just to throw it away. 😂
  • Shirts: 2 short sleeve, synthetic moisture wicking; 2 lightweight Columbia long-sleeve; 1 lightweight merino base layer
  • Undergarments: 2 bras; 3 underwear; 2 lightweight merino wool Injinji socks; 2 balega blister-resistant socks; 1 waterproof socks
  • Pants: 2 convertible lightweight hiking pants; 1 merino shorts; 1 lightweight merino base layer leggings
  • Shoes: 1 Salomon Cross-Hike; 1 Chocos sandals; pack of disposable spa slippers (for public albergue showers)
  • Outerwear: 1 lightweight, hooded rain jacket; 1 midweight fleece zip up; 1 down vest (650 fill); 1 thin running gloves; 1 light sun hat; 1 buff; 1 knit cap
  • Sleep system: 1 silk liner; 1 lightweight down blanket; 1 inflatable pillow
  • Personal/Hygiene: 1 large microfiber towel; 1 bar shampoo soap; 1 bar conditioner; 1 deuce of spades; 1 pee funnel; 1 piss-off rag; razor; toothbrush/toothpaste; 1 deodorant; 1 Body Glide; 1 small bottle of ibuprofen; 1 pack Compeed; 1 nail clippers (purchase in SJPdP); 5 small plastic ziplock bags; 1 small pack of wet wipes; 1 tube body lotion; 1 tube lip balm; 1 tube sunscreen
  • Miscellaneous: 1 headlamp; 1 sunglasses; 2 bandanas; 5 S-hooks; 1 clotheslines with clips; 1 ultralight day pack; 1 multi-charger/battery pack; 1 multi-port electric outlet converter; 1 cell phone w/charging cable and earbuds; 1 guide book; 3 waterproof compression bags (1, 2, 4L); 5 ultralight stuff cubes/sacks; 1 swiss army knife/multi-tool (purchase in SJPdP); 1 passport/ID/immunization card pouch; 1 noise canceling ear plugs; 1 pack laundry detergent tabs
So, all of that 👆is already weighing in a little over 20lbs (not including the hiking shoes), and we still have to buy some things when we get to SJPdP, like walking sticks and a roll of toilet paper — do we need to carry a roll of TP with us each day? Please help! 😂

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Too many shirts. Carry just one long sleeve one short sleeve. You don't need the vest if you have the fleece. Don't need both in September which can be quite warm sometimes. In all probability you also will not need those base layer leggings.
I've walked in September before on the Frances and during the day wore shorts and a t-shirt everyday to walk in.
Twenty pounds sure is a heavy backpack for that time of year.

Your right, there is a ton of info on the threads about lightweighting, and two things are always apparent after much debate on the forum. Firstly your packing list is personal, what you decide is essential someone else my consider it excessive.
Secondly, once you start lugging and using your "sitting at home packing list" on your back for a few hundred Kms, you will also reconsider what is essential and what is excessive.
So plan carefully but be prepared to change your pack by sending items home (or donate them) if their not being used or buying on the Camino if you need .
Lay your items out in a spare room or on a spare bed and really consider every items daily use and usefulness.
On a more subjective note, I suggest losing two shirts (one long one short sleeve), two pairs of socks including the waterproof ones, the shorts if the trousers convert, deodorant, lip balm (use sunscreen), not sure what you electrics look like, we have one European adapter with two usb outlets that charge phone and smart watch plus a very small (AA) battery size back up. No separate convertors, cameras or large power packs, all heavy stuff. I also have a plastic Spork and no multi-tool, that item can be really heavy.
On the other side your first aid kit is missing antihistamines & E45 (antiseptic cream) and very small scissors.
Also suggest you look at a recent thread by NobleHiker, who generated some debate before settling for a really lightweight pack.
Bom Caminho

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Too many shirts. Carry just one long sleeve one short sleeve. You don't need the vest if you have the fleece. Don't need both in September which can be quite warm sometimes. In all probability you also will not need those base layer leggings.
I've walked in September before on the Frances and during the day wore shorts and a t-shirt everyday to walk in.
Thank you! I figured we wouldn't need the warmer things in September — I was worried it might get colder from the beginning to middle of October. I even considered shipping some of the colder wear ahead to where we'll be in October. You don't think we'll need it then either?

Your right, there is a ton of info on the threads about lightweighting, and two things are always apparent after much debate on the forum. Firstly your packing list is personal, what you decide is essential someone else my consider it excessive.
Secondly, once you start lugging and using your "sitting at home packing list" on your back for a few hundred Kms, you will also reconsider what is essential and what is excessive.
So plan carefully but be prepared to change your pack by sending items home (or donate them) if their not being used or buying on the Camino if you need .
Lay your items out in a spare room or on a spare bed and really consider every items daily use and usefulness.
On a more subjective note, I suggest losing two shirts (one long one short sleeve), two pairs of socks including the waterproof ones, the shorts if the trousers convert, deodorant, lip balm (use sunscreen), not sure what you electrics look like, we have one European adapter with two usb outlets that charge phone and smart watch plus a very small (AA) battery size back up. No separate convertors, cameras or large power packs, all heavy stuff. I also have a plastic Spork and no multi-tool, that item can be really heavy.
On the other side your first aid kit is missing antihistamines & E45 (antiseptic cream) and very small scissors.
Also suggest you look at a recent thread by NobleHiker, who generated some debate before settling for a really lightweight pack.
Bom Caminho
Thank you! I really appreciate the advice!

It looks like a very good list to me Canito. In any case I wouldn’t get too hung up about it, because no matter how you pack, you’ll dump a few things along the way and you’ll definitely pick up a few things along the way. I reckon few people finish with the same gear they started out with. Also, you’ll most likely get used to the weight as the days go by, and weight won’t be such a burning issue. As for unforeseen things and urgent necessities, relax, you’re in Spain, not in the Sahara 😊. Finally, bear in mind that pilgrims share, take and give; you’ll be with brothers and sisters. Your list and your gear is fine. The only thing I’d leave out is the whisper of anxiety. You won’t need that.
Enjoy!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
  • Shirts: 2 short sleeve, synthetic moisture wicking; 2 lightweight Columbia long-sleeve; 1 lightweight merino base layer 2 SHORT AND ONE LONG SLEEVE.
  • Undergarments: 2 bras; 3 underwear; 2 lightweight merino wool Injinji socks; 2 balega blister-resistant socks; 1 waterproof socks NEVER USED WATERPROOF SOCKS
  • Pants: 2 convertible lightweight hiking pants; 1 merino shorts; 1 lightweight merino base layer leggings DROP THE SHORTS ha ha just re-read this!!! probably should say - take the shorts out!!!!!
  • Shoes: 1 Salomon Cross-Hike; 1 Chocos sandals; pack of disposable spa slippers (for public albergue showers) - can you post a link to the spa slippers? We just use thongs (flip flops)
  • Outerwear: 1 lightweight, hooded rain jacket; 1 midweight fleece zip up; 1 down vest (650 fill); 1 thin running gloves; 1 light sun hat; 1 buff; 1 knit cap FORGET THE DOWN VEST - YOU HAVE SEVERAL LAYERS THAT YOU CAN USE AND THE RAINJACKET WILL ACT AS A BUFFER AGAINST THE WIND
  • Sleep system: 1 silk liner; 1 lightweight down blanket; 1 inflatable pillow NEVER HAD AN ISSUE FINDING A PILLOW
  • Personal/Hygiene: 1 large microfiber towel; 1 bar shampoo soap; 1 bar conditioner; 1 deuce of spades; 1 pee funnel; 1 piss-off rag; razor; toothbrush/toothpaste; 1 deodorant; 1 Body Glide; 1 small bottle of ibuprofen; 1 pack Compeed; 1 nail clippers (purchase in SJPdP); 5 small plastic ziplock bags; 1 small pack of wet wipes; 1 tube body lotion; 1 tube lip balm; 1 tube sunscreen. RE THE PEE FUNNEL - MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT WELL. IF YOU HAVE A YOUNG-ISH BLADDER (i AM 56!!!) THEN YOU WOULD PROBABLY BE OK WITHOUT - STILL LOTS OF BARS (CAFES) OPEN). WHAT IS BODY GLIDE AND IS IT ESSENTIAL
  • Miscellaneous: 1 headlamp; 1 sunglasses; 2 bandanas; 5 S-hooks; 1 clotheslines with clips; 1 ultralight day pack; 1 multi-charger/battery pack; 1 multi-port electric outlet converter; 1 cell phone w/charging cable and earbuds; 1 guide book; 3 waterproof compression bags (1, 2, 4L); 5 ultralight stuff cubes/sacks; 1 swiss army knife/multi-tool (purchase in SJPdP); 1 passport/ID/immunization card pouch; 1 noise canceling ear plugs; 1 pack laundry detergent tabs CAN YOU DOWNLOAD THE GUIDEBOOK AND LOOK AT IT ON YOUR PHONE? I PERSONALLY HAVE NEVER USED S-HOOKS. DO YOU NEED THE BANDANAS? MAYBE A SINGLE PORT OUTLET INSTEAD OF A MULTI. FORGET THE SWISS ARMY KNIFE - JUST A KNIFE AND CORKSCREW!!!! WE USE A SOLID PLASTIC KNIFE MUCH LIGHTER. how ultra light is the day pack? dont need anything more than nylon with a bit or string rope. I use a nylon shopping bag that rolls up really small - use it as a laundry bag or shopping bag
Four things to keep in mind -

1 packing lists are personal - I dont take a razor, but I walk in winter, no-one sees my legs. Leg and under arm wax sees me through. Headlamps? I have taken them on two caminos and have never used them - will probably take them on my third!!!!!

2 you can get rid of stuff along the way

3 you can EASILY buy stuff along the way

4 my comments are being quite picky. You will quickly realise what is or isnt important. I shed a kilo in Estella, the hospitalero was very happy with our donation of chopping board, cutlery and bowls, bought specifically for the camino!!

Last edited:
Re the colder months and your concerns - we are winter walkers, sometimes walking through snow. Often in rain and wind. We start our days at -4c and walk in high temps around 10c. I usually wear a short sleeve merino, long sleeve merino, and a fleece jacket. I have a gortex raincoat. I might start out with all layers, but I start to shed pretty quickly. (plus a buff and wool hat, which I also shed within a couple of hours) Hope that helps.

Re the colder months and your concerns - we are winter walkers, sometimes walking through snow. Often in rain and wind. We start our days at -4c and walk in high temps around 10c. I usually wear a short sleeve merino, long sleeve merino, and a fleece jacket. I have a gortex raincoat. I might start out with all layers, but I start to shed pretty quickly. (plus a buff and wool hat, which I also shed within a couple of hours) Hope that helps.
It does help, thank you!

can you post a link to the spa slippers? We just use thongs (flip flops)
NEVER HAD AN ISSUE FINDING A PILLOW
Is it recommended to use pillows the albergues provide or are bed bugs a potential issue? I would really like to dump the inflatable pillow if possible!
RE THE PEE FUNNEL - MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT WELL. IF YOU HAVE A YOUNG-ISH BLADDER (i AM 56!!!) THEN YOU WOULD PROBABLY BE OK WITHOUT - STILL LOTS OF BARS (CAFES) OPEN). WHAT IS BODY GLIDE AND IS IT ESSENTIAL
I'm 50 and I've never tried the pee funnel ... LOL ... 🤷‍♀️
how ultra light is the day pack? dont need anything more than nylon with a bit or string rope.
It's an Osprey super light pack: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RZV7WKS/?tag=casaivar02-20

Also, THANK YOU for all of the great advice!!!

I know there's already a TON of info in the threads addressing packing and gear questions — I've read so many over the last 9 months that I think I've left myself more confused about what I need vs. what I don't — everything on my list below was taken from another Camino packing list I saw here in the forum or in various YouTube videos.

I would like to get feedback from the veterans on my list, if you don't mind. My husband and I are walking together, so his gear list is almost the same as mine — there are a few things in this list that we're sharing, but may actually be in his pack. My pack is a 36L Osprey Kyte and with all of the gear I'm planning to bring it's almost bursting at the seams and weighing in at >20lbs. I'm ~155lbs, so the weight ratio isn't too far off, but we plan to carry the bags on the airplane (flying from the US), so they will need to fit in the overhead bin (AirFrance) and I'm afraid mine is going to be too bulky right now. His pack is a 38L Osprey, and isn't quite as jam-packed as mine.

We're starting from SJPdP (Camino Frances) on Sept. 8 and hoping to finish in Finisterre Oct.11. We're planning to stay mainly in municipal and parochial albergues with a few nights here and there in private rooms in private albergues. My packing list follows — advance warning, I'm listing some items that may not be considered appropriate for "polite" conversation — sorry. I'd rather leave some of this behind now, than fly it to Spain just to throw it away. 😂

I'm not quite 5'2". and need my pack to be small so I am ruthless with what I take - but I've never needed anything more, I've never had to buy anything extra although I was prepared to - the only difference in my pack contents when I finish is that they are a lot dirtier than when I started.
I have walked at the same time as you. Layering is key- this is what I take:
Quick drying T-shirts -2
Light fleece jacket (I took fleece, my husband took merino)
2 x shorts - make sure they have decent pockets, at last one of them should have a concealed zip for security. (I never take long pants but you could take 1 x shorts, 1 x long pants if you like wearing them). I personally hate convertible pants, and I like the air on my legs - earlier in September can be very hot
Underwear - bras 2, knickers 3, socks 3 (I dont take merino socks). Socks always take the longest to dry.
Poncho or rain jacket (remember if it rains, legs dry quicker than long pants - thats why I dont bother with long pants)
Puffer jacket - I don't take a vest as its my arms that get cold. I wore my puffer most mornings, then stripped down to just a T-Shirt
Shoes - I wear sandals, and take flip flops for after. Yes I wear socks with my sandals - no fashion police on the Camino. (Im a flip-flop wearer in normal life, I could walk a stage in them if I have to no problem. My cousin walked from Leon to Villafranca in his)
Sleep - 1 silk liner, 1 extremely lightweight sleeping bag with zipped security pocket inside that I added. Never needed a pillow, but could have used clothes rolled in my puffer if needed.
Toilet paper - you could take one roll between you, or you can just grab a few serviettes off a bar counter and keep in your pocket
Hat - I just take a sun hat, if I needed to I'd buy a buff (haven't needed it so far but all the souvenir shops have them).

I definitely wouldn't take a pee funnel. The villages aren't that far apart, in three Caminos I have only need to go in the wild a handful of times.

With regards to toiletries etc - remember there are two of you and you can share things between you. Just agree on products ie use the same soap, sunscreen etc. ( I don't share my toothbrush).
Make sure you've washed your microfiber towel a few times, it will dry a lot better than when new.
One guidebook between us, but I always take a journal.
One other thing I always take is an alcohol hand sanitizer or wipes - it allows sticking plaster to stick properly. Plus it can be used as a sanitiser . I never use Compeed, but use whatever works for you - there are lots of blister treatment options described on this forum.
I pick up a bottle of water in Spain ands reuse the bottle.
I just buy a cheap lightweight knife, and take my seriously sharp embroidery scissors (tiny but razor sharp - brilliant for dealing with blisters, and just useful overall - probably my most lent item)
I no longer bother about ear plugs etc. I did the first time, but I'm usually tired enough to sleep through most things. Lots of people use them though.
I never carry shampoo, I just rinse it daily with a small amount of conditioner to stop it tangling and every 5-6 days I book into a casa rural or apartment, and wash my hair properly there. Lots of private places supply those.
I take a head torch, first aid kit with blister treatment, antihistamines, painkillers and anti-inflammatories. I also carry personal medication.

If you are walking with your poles they don't add weight to your pack.
I see you are taking a day pack, is that just for shopping, or do you intend to send your pack forward and walk with the day pack.
If its just for shopping I use a multipurpose cotton bag. If you are going to walk with it, take a decent daypack.

Last edited:
Thank you! I figured we wouldn't need the warmer things in September — I was worried it might get colder from the beginning to middle of October. I even considered shipping some of the colder wear ahead to where we'll be in October. You don't think we'll need it then either?
No doubt it will get colder or cooler by mid October but in my experience all I did by mid October on the Frances was switch from shorts to long pants and from a short sleeve shirt to a long sleeve one and a fleece pullover when needed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Washing machines in Spain seem to come with pre-loaded detergent. For hand-washing, your body soap or a small detergent bar will do the job, so I’d leave the detergent tabs at home. (I am assuming your laundry tabs are pods with concentrated fluid in them, but perhaps you have something dry.) There are dry laundry soap sheets on the market (if you can find them, that are nearly weightless).

One spare set of clothing is all you need - so one set on your body, one in the bag - plus the outer wear. If in doubt, make sure any extra clothing is something you don’t mind donating/jettisoning along the way. I do carry a third pair of socks and underwear.

When you face colder weather, you can buy something there if needed - and call it a souvenir.

I see you are taking a day pack, is that just for shopping, or do you intend to send your pack forward and walk with the day pack.
If its just for shopping I use a multipurpose cotton bag. If you are going to walk with it, take a decent daypack.
Thank you for all of the wonderful advice! This is very helpful! We each have the day pack and were planning to use it both ways — for daily shopping and on occasions if we need to send our packs ahead. For me, this camino is going to be a huge exercise in learning how to be flexible and take each day as it comes, because I usually plan every detail and am almost insanely committed to "sticking to the plan."

No doubt it will get colder or cooler by mid October but in my experience all I did by mid October on the Frances was switch from shorts to long pants and from a short sleeve shirt to a long sleeve one and a fleece pullover when needed.
Gotcha — very helpful! I'll be repacking and re-weighing a hopefully much lighter bag today!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are dry laundry soap sheets on the market (if you can find them, that are nearly weightless).

When you face colder weather, you can buy something there if needed - and call it a souvenir.
Thank you! Yes, we have the small, dry laundry soap sheets — they're like those breath freshener tabs that dissolve on your tongue, and about the same size so they don't add much to the pack.

And buying things as we go in Spain is probably the best mindset to have! I know we'll usually be moving through several villages and towns a day — I have to get it out of my head that I have to bring everything with me from day 1! 🙏 Thank you!

Simple guidelines: Cut the weight in half...or less.
1) Wear one, pack one. We cannot afford to be girls on this outing. After showering, wash what you wore and put on the fresh stuff.
2) Necessities, not wants. Those will wait at home for you.
3) What can do more than one job? A sock can replace a small bag, for example. My pack included convertible pants (zip off legs), plus aprés shorts. Put pants back on before going to bed. Always fully dress for bed, no messing about next morning / disturbing others asleep.
4) One soap. No shampoo, no conditioner, no mousse, etc.
5) Nothing that, "Maybe, I'll use."
6) One sweater, One jacket but a poncho is recommended. Mornings can be chilly but the heat is 90% of the time, even in October.
7) If there is anything that is only going to be used once in a while, consider leaving it at home and buying something that could be tossed once done.
8) Pack weight vs body weight is a myth. Pack weight = As light as you can make it and get by. Not a luxury cruise.

Many have mentioned these so far so, seeing it repeated will provide confidence that it is not just one silly duck with an opinion.

Hope this helps.

Many of you write about taking scissors and walking poles. Are you then putting your backpack through baggage when flying to Spain? From the US, anyway, airlines do not allow walking poles or scissors in carry-on; yet I am afraid to put in baggage with the danger, god forbid, of the baggage being lost. This only happened to me once flying to India but I had to buy everything when I got there. And for the camino, it would be a disaster!!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

• Shirts: 2 short sleeve, synthetic moisture wicking; 2 lightweight Columbia long-sleeve; 1 lightweight merino base layer
  • Undergarments: 2 bras; 3 underwear; 2 lightweight merino wool Injinji socks; 2 balega blister-resistant socks; 1 waterproof socks
  • Pants: 2 convertible lightweight hiking pants; 1 merino shorts; 1 lightweight merino base layer leggings
  • Shoes: 1 Salomon Cross-Hike; 1 Chocos sandals; pack of disposable spa slippers (for public albergue showers)
  • Outerwear: 1 lightweight, hooded rain jacket; 1 midweight fleece zip up; 1 down vest (650 fill); 1 thin running gloves; 1 light sun hat; 1 buff; 1 knit cap
  • Personal/Hygiene: 1 large microfiber towel; 1 bar shampoo soap; 1 bar conditioner; 1 deuce of spades; 1 pee funnel; 1 piss-off rag; razor; toothbrush/toothpaste; 1 deodorant; 1 Body Glide; 1 small bottle of ibuprofen; 1 pack Compeed; 1 nail clippers (purchase in SJPdP); 5 small plastic ziplock bags; 1 small pack of wet wipes; 1 tube body lotion; 1 tube lip balm; 1 tube sunscreen
  • Miscellaneous: 1 headlamp; 1 sunglasses; 2 bandanas; 5 S-hooks; 1 clotheslines with clips; 1 ultralight day pack; 1 multi-charger/battery pack; 1 multi-port electric outlet converter; 1 cell phone w/charging cable and earbuds; 1 guide book; 3 waterproof compression bags (1, 2, 4L); 5 ultralight stuff cubes/sacks; 1 swiss army knife/multi-tool (purchase in SJPdP); 1 passport/ID/immunization card pouch; 1 noise canceling ear plugs; 1 pack laundry detergent tabs
So, all of that 👆is already weighing in a little over 20lbs (not including the hiking shoes), and we still have to buy some things when we get to SJPdP, like walking sticks and a roll of toilet paper — do we need to carry a roll of TP with us each day? Please help! 😂
I found those disposable spa slippers are dangerous when used on wet floor! Better test a pair in shower at home!

I suggest 1 or zip off pants, no knit hat u can use buff as a hat if that cold! No clothes line every albergue has one but maybe baby diaper pins to us as clothes pegs. Europe plug bought here to plug into phone to charge. Bandanas not really needed. Only one long sleeve shirt to wear with fleece jacket for early morning so puffer jacket also not nesseccary. I walked Sept 19 to oct 26 on Camino Francis in 2017. Was only cold at night Roncevalles, Cebrerio and Samos. Was even swimming couple of times. Other than that your list is similar to mine. Bon camino. Dont get talked out of flash light. U need it later in trip as its darker at 7 and 8am in Spain when u leave albergue.

Many of you write about taking scissors and walking poles. Are you then putting your backpack through baggage when flying to Spain? From the US, anyway, airlines do not allow walking poles or scissors in carry-on; yet I am afraid to put in baggage with the danger, god forbid, of the baggage being lost. This only happened to me once flying to India but I had to buy everything when I got there. And for the camino, it would be a disaster!!!!
For camino u would just head to Decathalon shop and replace the lot at a fraction u paid at home!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I found those disposable spa slippers are dangerous when used on wet floor! Better test a pair in shower at home!
Aahhhh, thanks for that! I've actually been thinking about tossing those slippers as well as the Chocos and just bringing my Oofos, which are super light and I might be able to walk in for short distances if necessary.

I suggest 1 or zip off pants, no knit hat u can use buff as a hat if that cold! No clothes line every albergue has one but maybe baby diaper pins to us as clothes pegs. Europe plug bought here to plug into phone to charge. Bandanas not really needed. Only one long sleeve shirt to wear with fleece jacket for early morning so puffer jacket also not nesseccary. I walked Sept 19 to oct 26 on Camino Francis in 2017. Was only cold at night Roncevalles, Cebrerio and Samos. Was even swimming couple of times. Other than that your list is similar to mine. Bon camino. Dont get talked out of flash light. U need it later in trip as its darker at 7 and 8am in Spain when u leave albergue.
Thank you! That's very helpful!!!

1) Wear one, pack one. We cannot afford to be girls on this outing. After showering, wash what you wore and put on the fresh stuff.
3) What can do more than one job? A sock can replace a small bag, for example. My pack included convertible pants (zip off legs), plus aprés shorts. Put pants back on before going to bed. Always fully dress for bed, no messing about next morning / disturbing others asleep.
6) One sweater, One jacket but a poncho is recommended. Mornings can be chilly but the heat is 90% of the time, even in October.
7) If there is anything that is only going to be used once in a while, consider leaving it at home and buying something that could be tossed once done.
8) Pack weight vs body weight is a myth. Pack weight = As light as you can make it and get by. Not a luxury cruise.

Many have mentioned these so far so, seeing it repeated will provide confidence that it is not just one silly duck with an opinion.

Hope this helps.
Thank you! I greatly appreciate the help! :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you! Yes, we have the small, dry laundry soap sheets — they're like those breath freshener tabs that dissolve on your tongue, and about the same size so they don't add much to the pack.

And buying things as we go in Spain is probably the best mindset to have! I know we'll usually be moving through several villages and towns a day — I have to get it out of my head that I have to bring everything with me from day 1! 🙏 Thank you!
Besides, it's nice to support the locals ... after all, look at what they do for the pilgrims.
And remember, Spain is not a third world country.

I too have a Kyte 36 and love how well made and comfortable it is on me, in my size it’s actually 34L and it has more than enough room. Carrying less clothing as others have suggested is key. Less is more and we all struggle with what to take and what to leave behind. Layer up and consider leaving down jacket at home as you walk it may get wet with the exertion and it becomes a lead brick. I would suggest considering a lightweight nylon duffle bag to bring stuff home and to send ahead with your stuff in case you need bag transport, keeping your Kyte on while you walk and leaving day pack. Definitely get a 1.5 L water bladder. I find a gaiter helps for temperature control, head, neck, face in cold and wetting in fountain and wearing in heat, very lightweight. Have fun experimenting and Buen Camino 🚶🏻‍♀️🚶🏽‍♂️.

Packing lists are about personal choices. For my self I am comfortable with wearing one set of clothes and having one in my pack and doing daily hand laundry with my bar of soap. I do carry an extra set of socks and underwear, but no other duplication.not sure the need for shorts if you have convertible pants. I have walked in October and a fleece with the rain jacket should be enough to not worry about the vest. for the Camino 8 prefer a poncho. For a rain jacket, I like one with under arm vents to avoid getting soaked in sweat. Also, for the plane, if you are concerned with getting you pack in the bin, you can keep the fleece out. You have shoes and sandals listed, but won’t you be wearing the shoes?

I’ve never carried a roll of toilet paper, instead a travel pack of tissues works well for me. i replace them as needed. If they come in multiple packs, I just leave the extras I don’t need behind for someone else. If you prefer toilet paper, buy a roll and pull off a sufficient quantity and leave the rest behind. (pulling if off the roll at your lodging is not a nice thing).

One thing I see missing is some good quality, N-95 masks. If there is a surge, you will save yourself the effort of looking for them In an unfamiliar town.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Packing lists are about personal choices. For my self I am comfortable with wearing one set of clothes and having one in my pack and doing daily hand laundry with my bar of soap. I do carry an extra set of socks and underwear, but no other duplication.not sure the need for shorts if you have convertible pants. I have walked in October and a fleece with the rain jacket should be enough to not worry about the vest. for the Camino 8 prefer a poncho. For a rain jacket, I like one with under arm vents to avoid getting soaked in sweat. Also, for the plane, if you are concerned with getting you pack in the bin, you can keep the fleece out. You have shoes and sandals listed, but won’t you be wearing the shoes?

I’ve never carried a roll of toilet paper, instead a travel pack of tissues works well for me. i replace them as needed. If they come in multiple packs, I just leave the extras I don’t need behind for someone else. If you prefer toilet paper, buy a roll and pull off a sufficient quantity and leave the rest behind. (pulling if off the roll at your lodging is not a nice thing).

One thing I see missing is some good quality, N-95 masks. If there is a surge, you will save yourself the effort of looking for them In an unfamiliar town.
Thank you! Hearing from veterans who've done the Camino in October that we don't need the down vest is very helpful. I haven't even been thinking about the N-95 masks, so thanks for that reminder!

Your list is good, but now you can prune it.

You need enough clothes so that you can layer them all on the coldest day, so you can be decent while doing a laundry, and so you can keep one outfit dry for the evening. If you have a choice between items when you are getting dressed, you have more than you need. You probably have one full layer (top and bottom) more than you need. Would you ever wear 5 shirts plus fleece, down, and jacket? Not likely. Think of the most you would ever wear at once. Two light layers are more versatile than 1 heavier layer.

If there are bedbugs, they probably won't be in the albergue pillow. If they are, they will be elsewhere as well. So that is not a reason to take a pillow.

Be sure that your quantities of shampoo, lotions, etc, are very small.

Some sandals are heavy, but if you need particular footwear, then you need it.

Be very critical of the odds and ends. For example (although rather trivial) why 5 s-hooks? I don't carry or need the pee device or trowel. You probably don't need a wool cap as well as a buff and a hooded jacket. Do you need a large towel or would a smaller one do?

There is no rule that your scissors and poles must ride to Spain in your good backpack! 😀You can check a small duffle bag, or a throwaway bag, or even wrap a package in cardboard to carry the items not allowed in the cabin. Maybe add some easily replaced items to reduce the bulk of your main backpack. But carry your precious backpack and carefully selected things into the cabin. If the checked bag is lost or delayed, you can replace those things easily.

For camino u would just head to Decathalon shop and replace the lot at a fraction u paid at home!

You need enough clothes so that you can layer them all on the coldest day, so you can be decent while doing a laundry, and so you can keep one outfit dry for the evening. If you have a choice between items when you are getting dressed, you have more than you need. You probably have one full layer (top and bottom) more than you need. Would you ever wear 5 shirts plus fleece, down, and jacket? Not likely. Think of the most you would ever wear at once. Two light layers are more versatile than 1 heavier layer.

If there are bedbugs, they probably won't be in the albergue pillow. If they are, they will be elsewhere as well. So that is not a reason to take a pillow.

Be very critical of the odds and ends. For example (although rather trivial) why 5 s-hooks? I don't carry or need the pee device or trowel. You probably don't need a wool cap as well as a buff and a hooded jacket. Do you need a large towel or would a smaller one do?

There is no rule that your scissors and poles must ride to Spain in your good backpack! 😀You can check a small duffle bag, or a throwaway bag, or even wrap a package in cardboard to carry the items not allowed in the cabin. Maybe add some easily replaced items to reduce the bulk of your main backpack. But carry your precious backpack and carefully selected things into the cabin. If the checked bag is lost or delayed, you can replace those things easily.
Great idea to put together a small bag w/poles, scissors, etc and put through baggage. I would buy the poles when I get to Spain if I lost the bag, so I may as well try putting the ones I own through baggage and take my chances that they arrive safely. This would save a bit of $$ which is always a good idea!!! Use the savings for dinners!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I cannot wear wool next to my skin, even merino. I found silk long sleeved undershirt and leggings that were perfect for me the year I walked in October. They are an almost lacy knit that did not stick.

Thank you! OMG — I don't know why I never thought of checking a bag that wasn't my good backpack! That is such a load off my mind. I think I'm so wrapped up in trying not to forget something important that I'm probably not using a lot of common sense. As far as the sandals, my thought was that a sturdy pair of hiking sandals would give me options if my GTX shoes got wet inside, in case I had blisters and my feet needed a break from the boots, and to wear in the evenings. If I cut enough of the other items, maybe the sandals are still a good option, but they are the heaviest thing in my pack right now. Thanks, again!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Waww - You have really packed a lot

Lots of good advice already...I've walked Sept into Nov x 4, ( a few Sept only) and the only time I felt 'cold' was in the albergues at night. I do take a silk sleep sac and down travel blanket. My body was never cold, despite sometimes walking in driving rain / sleet. If you've a good merino layer on top of a long sleeve shirt and a poncho, it was fine. The key is keeping dry and your body heat will take care of the rest. Some fleece layers trap heat/sweat and you end up cold and wet.
I do only take one pair pants and two lightweight shorts. A friend with no long pants simply bought fleece tights at the local Asian Dollar Store which you do see quite often.
I would not find much use for inflatable pillow, any type of female urinary device, vest, nor 5 S hooks ( I do take 2 )
I 'remove' water wherever I can: laundry sheets, toothpaste tablets, solid shampoo/conditioner bars, solid sunscreens. I have removed the solid sunscreen and my deodorant sticks from their plastic containers and simply put in a small ziplock. No issue. Soap and conditioner bars go in a mesh bag that I hang to dry after use.
I take all prescriptions out of their bottles and into pill pouches as well as popping medicines out of their bulky blister packs and placing in pill pouches. Tiny sewing kit for emergency: thread one needle with black and one with white and stick the needles down the center of a packing peanut, then wrap the threads around the outside...put in a pill pouch with one button and one safety pin.
I'll be leaving in two weeks to walk my first 'Spring/Summer' Camino in Portugal/Spain, so will be testing theories on warmer weather walking...
I'm confident you'll pack the perfect pack for you! Buen Camino!

Not to mention the fact that when you are standing in an inch of water in a slow drawing shower those flimsy spa slippers aren't protecting you from anything. I take my albergue showers barefoot, just as I do at home. Just make sure that your feet dry thoroughly after your shower, and if you're really worried bring a small tube of antifungal ointment.

I did SJPdP to Santiago and all I packed was what I needed from there to Pamplona, so 3 days of stuff. See how you go on the first 3 days and buy stuff or discard and buy again later if you made a mistake, Spain is cheap. The camino is not a hike in the wilderness, you can buy everything somewhere.

Don't bring scissors or anything edged or sharp. That way you can carry on your backpack which I highly recommend. You can buy trekking poles in Spain on the Camino or if your flight allows, just check in your trekking poles and carry on your backpack.

Maybe this will give you an idea of what might work during your time on Camino. Below is a list of my "closet" that I carry in my pack for early spring thru late fall.. In addition to it being used during my Caminos, it is about the same inventory that I used to thru hike the Pacific Crest Trail and the Colorado Trail (most of which sits above 9,000 feet / 2743 meters in elevation. And for the thousands of other backpacking miles I have done.
  1. Pants -- Running shorts with liner
  2. Baselayer Top -- Smartwool, Lightweight, Long-Sleeve x 1
  3. Baselayer Bottom - Smartwool, Lightweight
  4. Hat - wool beanie
  5. Windshell Jacket - Patagonia, Houdini
  6. Insulating Layer -- Mountain Hardwear, Ghost Whisperer Vest
  7. Socks -- Smartwool Phd, Crew, Light Padding x 2
  8. Extra insoles x 1
  9. Poncho --- zPacks or Frogg Toggs Ultralite Poncho
  10. Gloves -- North Face, polartec
The total weight is around 3.4 pounds/1.54 Kg

The clothing that I wear usually consists of running shorts and a lightweight, long sleeved synthetic shirt. All of the clothing can be used in various layering configurations to provide a comfort range from 30 f / -1 C to very hot. This is just an example of how a layering system can be flexible and cover a wide temperature range which is more than sufficient for the time of year you are going over the Pyrenees and Galicia.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lots of good advice already...I've walked Sept into Nov x 4, ( a few Sept only) and the only time I felt 'cold' was in the albergues at night. I do take a silk sleep sac and down travel blanket. My body was never cold, despite sometimes walking in driving rain / sleet. If you've a good merino layer on top of a long sleeve shirt and a poncho, it was fine. The key is keeping dry and your body heat will take care of the rest. Some fleece layers trap heat/sweat and you end up cold and wet.
I do only take one pair pants and two lightweight shorts. A friend with no long pants simply bought fleece tights at the local Asian Dollar Store which you do see quite often.
I would not find much use for inflatable pillow, any type of female urinary device, vest, nor 5 S hooks ( I do take 2 )
I 'remove' water wherever I can: laundry sheets, toothpaste tablets, solid shampoo/conditioner bars, solid sunscreens. I have removed the solid sunscreen and my deodorant sticks from their plastic containers and simply put in a small ziplock. No issue. Soap and conditioner bars go in a mesh bag that I hang to dry after use.
I take all prescriptions out of their bottles and into pill pouches as well as popping medicines out of their bulky blister packs and placing in pill pouches. Tiny sewing kit for emergency: thread one needle with black and one with white and stick the needles down the center of a packing peanut, then wrap the threads around the outside...put in a pill pouch with one button and one safety pin.
I'll be leaving in two weeks to walk my first 'Spring/Summer' Camino in Portugal/Spain, so will be testing theories on warmer weather walking...
I'm confident you'll pack the perfect pack for you! Buen Camino!
I LOVE the sewing kit solution — I'm definitely doing that! I've never heard of toothpaste tablets, so I'll check that out. I never thought about removing the deodorant from the container, that's a great idea! Thank you, and Buen Camino!

I did SJPdP to Santiago and all I packed was what I needed from there to Pamplona, so 3 days of stuff. See how you go on the first 3 days and buy stuff or discard and buy again later if you made a mistake, Spain is cheap. The camino is not a hike in the wilderness, you can buy everything somewhere.
That's a great idea! Thank you!

Wow 😍, I really want to thank all of you for the wonderful advice and wisdom! I took out the extra shorts (which I'd been planning to sleep in, but I see now that most people sleep in what they'll walk in the next day), removed 2 shirts, the waterproof socks, the spa slippers, the pee funnel and rag, 3 of the S hooks and the inflatable pillow and my pack is now down to 13 lbs! It's also much smaller and not bursting at the seams, so hopefully it won't be an issue in the overhead bins on the airplane. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Honestly no matter what you decide to bring or not bring, once you start walking the Camino you're either going to wish you brought something you didn't or you will wish you didn't bring something you did. It just happens, but it's all good. Not life or death. I've walked the Camino multiple times and still made packing regrets. Not a big deal.

Last edited:
Excellent thread.

For this of you who suggested packing scissors, poles, etc in a small bag for the hold - what can I expect the airline to charge for this? Hold baggage from Canada to Europe can be $100 with a budget airline. Obviously,it would be cheaper to buy new scissors in Spain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Try this: Once you decided on everything you want to carry, put it all in your backpack and carry it around town or on a trail for 2 blocks or 2 hours. If it feels ok, you might try a day. If it feels ok, you’re golden.

You’ll be able to pick up things you missed along the way.
You can donate, share, trade, toss, or ship home things you are not using.

what can I expect the airline to charge for this? Hold baggage from Canada to Europe can be $100 with a budget airline.
Not many budget airlines from Canada to Europe, though! Your choice of ticket/fare/airline will determine the cost of your checked bag. I got 1 bag free with the cost of my ticket. Of course, I could have chosen a cheaper ticket but then other benefits such as ability to make changes would be lost and my bag would have cost $100! You need to weigh the options.

For this of you who suggested packing scissors, poles, etc in a small bag for the hold - what can I expect the airline to charge for this? Hold baggage from Canada to Europe can be $100 with a budget airline. Obviously,it would be cheaper to buy new scissors in Spain.

Why not leave the stuff that can't be taken on board at home. Purchase inexpensive replacements in Spain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This works for easily replaceable things, but I was thinking of buying Pacer poles while I'm in the UK. If the cost of flying them is as much as they're worth, I'll have to pick up a cheaper option in Spain.
These poles from Decathlon might be a good substitute

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

One short sleeve and one long sleeve shirt. Keep base layer to wear as an extra or to sleep in. 1 pair convertible pants. One pair leggings. One pair hiking shoe. Get a pair of croc sandles for evening, showers, hiking if needed and ditch the disposables and heavy Chacos. One rain jacket to wear over your long sleeved shirts in case it is cold. I carry rain pants to wear in the rain or when it is cold over my pants or to do laundry in.. Maybe the fleece if it is light. Ditch the vest. Take the buff and sun hat along. Ditch the pee funnel. You don't need detergent tabs. Most washers will come with soap. Hand wash with bar soap or shampoo or buy a laundry bar when you arrive, cut it in half to share or bring one from home in a plastic sandwich bag.

If you have too much you'll ditch it after carrying a pack you find too heavy or you will start shipping your pack or you will mail things ahead. There are stores in Spain if you need something more. You'll know if you have too little or too much after a day or so.

This works for easily replaceable things, but I was thinking of buying Pacer poles while I'm in the UK. If the cost of flying them is as much as they're worth, I'll have to pick up a cheaper option in Spain.
Walking the Camino is not a technical hike, traditional hike or a wilderness hike in any stretch of the imagination. The type of trekking poles you walk with is not as important as things like physical condition before you walk, proper footwear and sock choice, or carrying the lightest pack possible. I have used expensive trekking poles and also the cheapest ones I could find. I noticed no difference. I could have cut down two proper diameter wooden dowels or broomsticks to the right length and used them.
I carry nothing with me (when doing carry on only) that could remotely be rejected at the airport pre flight security check. No knives, scissors, liquids, foods etc. I like relaxing, hassle free flying. Getting to point B with my kit is my first priority.

I would personally get rid of the following:
1 long sleeve Columbia shirt
Waterproof socks
1 pair of convertible pants or merino base layer leggings (don't need both)
I would do a down jacket (instead of the fleece AND down vest)
Knit cap (buff with sun hat will keep your head warm)
Inflatable pillow (albergues provide pillows)
Duece of spades (plenty of toilets), you have a lot of toiletries - I would pick which ones are most important and skip the wet wipes myself. Meds - remove from their bottles and put in medicaiton size ziplock baggies
1 bandana
4 S Hooks
Clotheslines with clips (I use safety pins if I need to hang anything)
Battery pack was unnecessary for me
Get a guidebook on kindle on your phone
laundry detergent tabs (use your bar soap or shampoo bar)
You have a lot of compression bags/cubes/sacks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You have received some great suggestions on how to lighten your load. It can't be stressed enough how important reducing a heavy pack weight is, because truly it can make or break your Camino.

The only thing I'll add is that you've listed only ONE set of noise cancelling ear plugs and I'd suggest to double or triple up on those. Depending on the style you favor, they can so easily dislodge during the night and roll who knows where, never to be seen again. It's good to have a back-up pair, or two, possibly three.....

In addition to the previous comment you may want to ditch the guidebook and just use an app as the route is so well marked. Or take pdfs of key sections to store on your phone. Also you don’t need a bandanna if you have a buff. That buff and a hat could keep you warm on a cooler day so you probably don’t need the knit cap at that time of year. I walked last year in early October and shorts and a Columbia Silver Ridge Lite shirt was comfortable. I did have a light fleece for the evenings.

The daypack is a luxury. You can use the stuff sack for your clothes as a multi purpose bag for shopping or laundry. Or if each of you have one then only bring one pack.

Can your sandals also be used in the shower? Or just bring one disposable sandal.

I don’t think you need the waterproof socks. Luxury item.

Ask yourself if you will use an item daily. Or is there a high likelihood that it will be used regularly. If not then question bringing it.

And you need to factor in water and snacks on top of your base weight.

I suggest carrying TP. When I walked the heavily trafficked bathrooms frequently ran out of it. But you don’t need a full roll to save weight.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I brought a headlamp and never used it. Leave it behind. Leave the battery pack. If you plan to stay at albergue , Bring an extension cord so u have multiple plug ins. No need to bring a roll of tp. There are plenty of places to grab napkins or take tp from a roll. Forget the army knife. I brought one and never used it. Leave wet ones and bring small bottle of liquid hand sanitizer. Leave inflatable pillow at home I brought one and never used it. You won’t need a knit cap or gloves. You are bringing way to many article of clothing.

Just reading through this thread and feeling very glad that I'm sending a bag on ahead and walking with a daypack.
That seems to be by far the easiest way to cut back on what I'm carrying.
Yes, it can be. But I find it fun to figure out ways to cut down my pack weight and I absolutely love learning how little I really need for hiking across Spain. I can't tell you how many conversations I have had this month with co-workers who are amazed at how light my pack is and how little I am brining with me to Spain. They are truly impressed lol. And I love the freedom involved in carrying your pack and being flexible to make last minute changes i.e. stopping half way through the day because you are hurt or because you are inspired by a town - or the ability to keep walking because you are just not ready to end your walk for the day - those are wonderful things too! So - if sending your pack ahead is what works for you - then fine, that is what you should do - but there are also advantages in simply packing lighter and keeping your pack with you..

Hi, currently on my first Camino. Lose one long sleeved shirt. I use mine as a sun shirt - wash it every day and it’s always dry by morning. You won’t need the down vest/gilet in September. Lose the spa shoes - I brought the one pair and almost killed myself slipping in the bathroom, just use your sandals. Lose the merino leggings. I carried mine over the mountains day one and two, and then donated them, goretex rain trousers could provide a warm layer if you really need it. 2 packs of compeed. Ditch the packing cubes and multipurpose the compression bags as packing cubes. I have one large 15l for clean stuff, one 6l for dirty stuff, one 5l spare, one 3l for electronics. 3 X-large zip locks for food etc. 3 medium (one holds passport and Compestela), couple of spares.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I brought a headlamp and never used it. Leave it behind. Leave the battery pack. If you plan to stay at albergue , Bring an extension cord so u have multiple plug ins. No need to bring a roll of tp. There are plenty of places to grab napkins or take tp from a roll. Forget the army knife. I brought one and never used it. Leave wet ones and bring small bottle of liquid hand sanitizer. Leave inflatable pillow at home I brought one and never used it. You won’t need a knit cap or gloves. You are bringing way to many article of clothing.
I have a Zipka headlamp with red lamp function, have used it every day in spring as it’s still dark before 06:30. My battery pack has been used 10 times in the first 21 days of walking. Agree that a travel pillow won’t be needed.

Yes, it can be. But I find it fun to figure out ways to cut down my pack weight and I absolutely love learning how little I really need for hiking across Spain. I can't tell you how many conversations I have had this month with co-workers who are amazed at how light my pack is and how little I am brining with me to Spain. They are truly impressed lol. And I love the freedom involved in carrying your pack and being flexible to make last minute changes i.e. stopping half way through the day because you are hurt or because you are inspired by a town - or the ability to keep walking because you are just not ready to end your walk for the day - those are wonderful things too! So - if sending your pack ahead is what works for you - then fine, that is what you should do - but there are also advantages in simply packing lighter and keeping your pack with you..
Great summary of the light pack v send ahead issue.

One short sleeve and one long sleeve shirt. Keep base layer to wear as an extra or to sleep in. 1 pair convertible pants. One pair leggings. One pair hiking shoe. Get a pair of croc sandles for evening, showers, hiking if needed and ditch the disposables and heavy Chacos. One rain jacket to wear over your long sleeved shirts in case it is cold. I carry rain pants to wear in the rain or when it is cold over my pants or to do laundry in.. Maybe the fleece if it is light. Ditch the vest. Take the buff and sun hat along. Ditch the pee funnel. You don't need detergent tabs. Most washers will come with soap. Hand wash with bar soap or shampoo or buy a laundry bar when you arrive, cut it in half to share or bring one from home in a plastic sandwich bag.

If you have too much you'll ditch it after carrying a pack you find too heavy or you will start shipping your pack or you will mail things ahead. There are stores in Spain if you need something more. You'll know if you have too little or too much after a day or so.
Thank you! Just catching up with this thread again — I appreciate the advice!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would personally get rid of the following:
1 long sleeve Columbia shirt
Waterproof socks
1 pair of convertible pants or merino base layer leggings (don't need both)
I would do a down jacket (instead of the fleece AND down vest)
Knit cap (buff with sun hat will keep your head warm)
Inflatable pillow (albergues provide pillows)
Duece of spades (plenty of toilets), you have a lot of toiletries - I would pick which ones are most important and skip the wet wipes myself. Meds - remove from their bottles and put in medicaiton size ziplock baggies
1 bandana
4 S Hooks
Clotheslines with clips (I use safety pins if I need to hang anything)
Battery pack was unnecessary for me
Get a guidebook on kindle on your phone
laundry detergent tabs (use your bar soap or shampoo bar)
You have a lot of compression bags/cubes/sacks
Thank you! Yes — I had all of those compression bags/sacks for the clothes and jackets 😂 I definitely won't need them now!

Washing machines in Spain seem to come with pre-loaded detergent. For hand-washing, your body soap or a small detergent bar will do the job, so I’d leave the detergent tabs at home. (I am assuming your laundry tabs are pods with concentrated fluid in them, but perhaps you have something dry.) There are dry laundry soap sheets on the market (if you can find them, that are nearly weightless).

One spare set of clothing is all you need - so one set on your body, one in the bag - plus the outer wear. If in doubt, make sure any extra clothing is something you don’t mind donating/jettisoning along the way. I do carry a third pair of socks and underwear.

Yes. Still have my fleece from Arco.

Thank you! Yes — I had all of those compression bags/sacks for the clothes and jackets 😂 I definitely won't need them now!
Haha.... just for comparison - I ended up using 1 packing cube that fits most of my stuff and has one of those compression zippers. I can get away with just one because I can pull the whole packing cube out of my pack - and open it up like a suitcase and see everything in the packing cube. Beyond that - I have a coule small mesh zipper pouches - one for first aid/meds one for electronics. I am using a quart size ziplock for toiletries. And I have a mesh zipper pouch for my money and passports (real passport and Camino passport). Again - the mesh pouches are very small and super lightweight. The only other stuff sack I have is for my sleeping bag.

€149,-
A couple of suggestions for reducing weight.
1) Merino wool really doesn't retain smells. I alternated two T-shirts for six days, allowing one to dry overnight while I wore the other to bed. Same with socks, but I alternated three pairs of silverlight socks over those same six days. At the end of six days, I washed all those items.
2) Make sure every item has multiple uses or can be worn multiple times. For example, I used running shorts with liners as underwear, sleepwear, and albergue wear; I could have used them for swimwear as well. Three pairs alternated over six days. Decathlon sells really inexpensive running shorts during spring and summer.
3) You can wash clothes in a machine once a week using this method; no need to carry more than a small piece of laundry soap (just in case) and no time spent doing laundry every day (I washed clothes by hand every day on my first camino and ended up really resenting the waste of time doing laundry). I wore one pair of long pants (technical fabric) every day for walking because I kept getting sunburn on my calves when I wore shorts. I ended up wearing the shorts with compression tights (felt good on my legs at the end of the day and don't weigh much) after hiking for the day and while walking around town; they also provided some warmth in cool evenings. Long-sleeve merino wool shirt in evenings. I wore a super lightweight windbreaker and tights/shorts on laundry days; everything else in the washer.
4) For extra warmth in the evenings (April, May, September, October), I got a down jacket at Decathlon at a price that was much lower than anything in the US. It can be stuffed into a pocket for convenience rather than for saving space.
5) Consider gear designed for cyclists. I have used warm and sun sleeves for years. Two short sleeve merino wool t-shirts and one long sleeve merino wool t-shirt along with the sleeves are like having an entire wardrobe for different temperature--and a pair of rolled-up sleeves fit in the palm of your hand and weigh very little. Same re cycling gloves (if you use poles) and lightweight, compact warm caps designed to fit under a helmet. Note that I wasn't thrilled with Decathlon cycling sleeves, so I recommend that you look on websites that specialize in cycling, such as www.competitivecyclist.com in the US.

My lessons learnt after doing part of the Camino Portuguese by bike:
  • On the outward trip out take clothes that you don't mind discarding on arrival or donate to charity bins.
  • Layering up is easier than taking bulky warm items.
  • Gilets provide a lot of warmth and don’t take up too much space.
  • Check into hotel/B&B every few days to hand wash clothes.
  • Use shower gel to hand wash clothes.
  • Find a launderette near a bar :)
  • Take as much synthetic clothes as you can – they dry quicker and weigh much less.
  • Take small scissors (or purchase on arrival) and cut down straps and any unnecessary labels.
  • Don’t bring back stuff you know you will never use again or will probably throw away.
Hope that helps?

A couple of suggestions for reducing weight.
1) Merino wool really doesn't retain smells. I alternated two T-shirts for six days, allowing one to dry overnight while I wore the other to bed. Same with socks, but I alternated three pairs of silverlight socks over those same six days. At the end of six days, I washed all those items.
2) Make sure every item has multiple uses or can be worn multiple times. For example, I used running shorts with liners as underwear, sleepwear, and albergue wear; I could have used them for swimwear as well. Three pairs alternated over six days. Decathlon sells really inexpensive running shorts during spring and summer.
3) You can wash clothes in a machine once a week using this method; no need to carry more than a small piece of laundry soap (just in case) and no time spent doing laundry every day (I washed clothes by hand every day on my first camino and ended up really resenting the waste of time doing laundry). I wore one pair of long pants (technical fabric) every day for walking because I kept getting sunburn on my calves when I wore shorts. I ended up wearing the shorts with compression tights (felt good on my legs at the end of the day and don't weigh much) after hiking for the day and while walking around town; they also provided some warmth in cool evenings. Long-sleeve merino wool shirt in evenings. I wore a super lightweight windbreaker and tights/shorts on laundry days; everything else in the washer.
4) For extra warmth in the evenings (April, May, September, October), I got a down jacket at Decathlon at a price that was much lower than anything in the US. It can be stuffed into a pocket for convenience rather than for saving space.
5) Consider gear designed for cyclists. I have used warm and sun sleeves for years. Two short sleeve merino wool t-shirts and one long sleeve merino wool t-shirt along with the sleeves are like having an entire wardrobe for different temperature--and a pair of rolled-up sleeves fit in the palm of your hand and weigh very little. Same re cycling gloves (if you use poles) and lightweight, compact warm caps designed to fit under a helmet. Note that I wasn't thrilled with Decathlon cycling sleeves, so I recommend that you look on websites that specialize in cycling, such as www.competitivecyclist.com in the US.
Great advice. Thanks

Wh
Hi, currently on my first Camino. Lose one long sleeved shirt. I use mine as a sun shirt - wash it every day and it’s always dry by morning. You won’t need the down vest/gilet in September. Lose the spa shoes - I brought the one pair and almost killed myself slipping in the bathroom, just use your sandals. Lose the merino leggings. I carried mine over the mountains day one and two, and then donated them, goretex rain trousers could provide a warm layer if you really need it. 2 packs of compeed. Ditch the packing cubes and multipurpose the compression bags as packing cubes. I have one large 15l for clean stuff, one 6l for dirty stuff, one 5l spare, one 3l for electronics. 3 X-large zip locks for food etc. 3 medium (one holds passport and Compestela), couple of spares.
Why would you choose multipurpose compression bags? Could you just use plastic bags instead? Or line the whole pack with a garbage bag? I’d love some advice - worried that the bags will just add extra weight!

Wh

Why would you choose multipurpose compression bags? Could you just use plastic bags instead? Or line the whole pack with a garbage bag? I’d love some advice - worried that the bags will just add extra weight!
The compression bags worked great for us because they allowed us to squeeze the contents down to the smallest we could make them and helped us pack everything comfortably into our backpacks. The compression bags were ultra lightweight, so any weight they added was negligible, IMO.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Wh

If you want compression; use a compression bag. If you’re good for space and just want waterproofing - use any plastic bag you have to hand.

Wh

I echo the sentiment to use silnylon bags, with different colors, to not just protect the backpack contents, but also to help organize items and clothing for easy removal without needing to pull everything out of your pack.

Alternatively, you can line your pack with a large trash compactor bag, or a heavy-mil yard waste bag. Both types are very durable, cheap, and lightweight. You can't purchase only one, but those left over have many uses. One time, I found a neighbor who had some for disposal of fall leaves and prunings and he ended up giving one to me after I offered to buy it..

If you have an outdoor/backpacking/hiking organization, perhaps a connection can be made to find one.

Pack Liner.jpg

Even lighter is to use a poncho for rain gear which automatically provides a cover for your backpack which will also promote more air circulation to help reduce interior condensation wetness.

If you want compression; use a compression bag. If you’re good for space and just want waterproofing - use any plastic bag you have to hand.
Ah, but beware of plastic bag rustling in the albergue. It is a big annoyance to pilgrims trying to rest so I try to keep plastic bag noise to a minimum.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ah, but beware of plastic bag rustling in the albergue. It is a big annoyance to pilgrims trying to rest so I try to keep plastic bag noise to a minimum.
Or get up five minutes later than the first peregrino?

There are various kinds of ‘plastic bags’ - my very lightweight compression ultrasil bags are unforgiving. My virtually-free ‘cos they’re as thin as they can be’ supermarket bags don’t rustle.

From another POV:

Trying to look slim on the beach; two options:

1. Lose weight
2. Get a sunbed next to someone bigger than you.

Maybe fewer socks, 3 should be ample. Either the fleece or the down vest ( or light down jacket instead) but not both. If your hiking pants are zip off, no shorts. Light walking sandals for showers and walking. Make sure toiletries are small travelling sizes. One small pack of TP - Spanish toilets are immaculately clean and maintained. S hooks are great but why 5? 3 shirts max ( long or short sleeved as you prefer).
Does that help? Reduce the number of everything, especially clothes and make sure everything has at least 2 uses. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The compression bags worked great for us because they allowed us to squeeze the contents down to the smallest we could make them and helped us pack everything comfortably into our backpacks. The compression bags were ultra lightweight, so any weight they added was negligible, IMO.
Thank you!

I also walked sept 19 to oct 26 2017 on The Francis. ? Wondered if we met on the way. Kiwi kay from New Zealand.

I would roll up clothes and put them in larger ziplock bags, which I could squeeze the air out of before closing. Didn't rustle like some other plastics. Kept the air out. And I could easily see what was in the bag. I also used smaller ziplock bags to keep other things dry (one for electronics, another for toiletries, another for important papers, etc.).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

With half a dozen long Caminos and almost 80 circumambulations around the sun behind me, I tend to do my walking more comfortably these days:
As a consequence of leaving the bunk beds mostly to the young, I often forward my (main-) pack to the (reserved-) hostals. Yet, I like to keep my options open and use a small foldable daypack that can be stowed into the larger bag. Being lightweight is important to me. The attached shows how I pack for Aug./Sept. Caminos.

Pairing up with a companion on one recent CF – she insisting on staying in private rooms all the way – we used one larger 42lt rucksack for both of us, which we forwarded. With each one carrying a 20lt daypack, there was plenty of stowing space for everything.

For optimized flexibility, your husband could carry one large pack with a manageable total weight of, say, 8 to 9kg, and you would carry the essentials and water in a 4-5kg daypack.

Buen Camino

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 21.24.50.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 21.24.50.png
    960.9 KB · Views: 23

I have seen others talk about a small Ikea duffle as the "checked bag" so I think I will do that. Thanks for the reminder to just bring precious items on-board.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would roll up clothes and put them in larger ziplock bags, which I could squeeze the air out of before closing. Didn't rustle like some other plastics. Kept the air out. And I could easily see what was in the bag. I also used smaller ziplock bags to keep other things dry (one for electronics, another for toiletries, another for important papers, etc.).
Thank you for mentioning this. I take it you mean the large food zip bags. If so, I will try these in 2023.
For many years I bought Space Bags and while the originals of those worked great for me, when the company was gobbled up by whatever, the quality went way down. Since then I have been trying various and sundry versions, most work twice and then phhhllltttt!

Hope this helps.
Your #8 is IT.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.