• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need help -Escatron to Zaragoza

peregrina2000

Staff member
I thought I'd start this in a new thread since my earlier questions on Fabara were answered thanks, guys

Now we are still trying to figure out the Eacatron to Zaragoza stages. Annie has the Spanish guide and it says

Escatron to Velilla--28.6 (but no place to stay)

Velilla to Fuentes -- 26.2

Fuentes to Zaragoza --33

That's a total of 87 km but my calculations from the web were only 77

Escatron to Quinto-- 37
Quinto to Zaragoza -- 40

So not only are we confused about where to stay we are also confused about how far it is. :)

Just read Alan's post about hopping on a bus for the last few kms into Zaragoza, so that will be our backup if the days are too long.

Thanks from Laurie and Annie.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had to catch a bus, as mentioned before, Laurie [&Annie!] I can't manage the distances you young things do! 25 kms is my maximum.
Enjoy Zaragoza - I loved the beautiful bridge - St. James' bridge - over the Ebro, and the cathedral. I stayed in the Hotel Avenida almost in the centre of the city [37 Euros] but you may prefer an albergue.
Blessings on you both from your friend in England ....
Flying to SdC tomorrow for the Finisterre camino....

I thought I'd start this in a new thread since my earlier questions on Fabara were answered thanks, guys

Now we are still trying to figure out the Eacatron to Zaragoza stages. Annie has the Spanish guide and it says

Escatron to Velilla--28.6 (but no place to stay)

Velilla to Fuentes -- 26.2

Fuentes to Zaragoza --33

That's a total of 87 km but my calculations from the web were only 77

Escatron to Quinto-- 37
Quinto to Zaragoza -- 40

So not only are we confused about where to stay we are also confused about how far it is. :)

Just read Alan's post about hopping on a bus for the last few kms into Zaragoza, so that will be our backup if the days are too long.

Thanks from Laurie and Annie.

My memories of my 2013 venture along the Ebro are already vague but I think I lunched in Escatron and carrried on to Sastago where I stayed the night in a reasonably well-priced but grumpy pension. Sastago seemed like a bit of a one-horse town out of a western - not unlike Fabara - and after a week on the Ebro route I jacked it in, caught a bus to Zaragoza then on to Santander to hike the Norte and the Vadiniense. At the time it was a good decision, the route to Quinto and Zaragoza was rather flat and I needed mountains, but the Ruta del Ebro and I still have unfinished business!

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My memories of my 2013 venture along the Ebro are already vague but I think I lunched in Escatron and carrried on to Sastago where I stayed the night in a reasonably well-priced but grumpy pension.
My diary says:

"I decided it was time for a Menu-del-Dia, and opted for the restaurant in the Hostal where I was staying. The ‘waiter’ was the same miserable, unsmiling, unwelcoming receptionist. I asked for ketchup with the chip potatoes. Two sachets were thrown onto my table. I checked quickly to see if he really was Basil Fawlty. But it was a good meal. I was thankful that the receptionist wasn’t also the cook. Paella, Hamburgers, Melon and wine for €9."

I bet we stayed in the same place! Hostal Monasterio de Rueda.
P1020751.JPG

Buen camino, Ramblanista!

My diary says:

"I decided it was time for a Menu-del-Dia, and opted for the restaurant in the Hostal where I was staying. The ‘waiter’ was the same miserable, unsmiling, unwelcoming receptionist. I asked for ketchup with the chip potatoes. Two sachets were thrown onto my table. I checked quickly to see if he really was Basil Fawlty. But it was a good meal. I was thankful that the receptionist wasn’t also the cook. Paella, Hamburgers, Melon and wine for €9."

I bet we stayed in the same place! Hostal Monasterio de Rueda.
View attachment 26452

Buen camino, Ramblanista!

You're spot on. But the food was good and the beer was cold and as I'd walked a good 30km that was all I required.

Now we are still trying to figure out the Eacatron to Zaragoza stages.

In short:
  • If you are already at your accommodation in Caspe (or if you have booked one and you can't cancel it), the way to go would be: Caspe-Escatrón (roughly 30); Escatrón-Quinto (roughly 37); Quinto-Fuentes de Ebro (roughly 18) and Fuentes de Ebro-Zaragoza (roughly 30). If the roughly 37 kms from Escatrón to Quinto is too much for you, think about reaching Zaragoza in four days instead of three by making a short day from Escatrón to Sástago (or to Alborge, where there's a casa rural although that will likely be more expensive).
  • If you don't have accommodation in Caspe yet, I suggest to continue till Chiprana today. Tomorrow, you would do Chiprana-Sástago (roughly 31). Next day Sástago-Quinto (roughly 27). And from Quinto onwards as above; i.e.: Quinto-Fuentes de Ebro (roughly 18) and Fuentes de Ebro Zaragoza (roughly 30).
Some extra notes:

The discrepancies between your sources about distances are just for the leg from Fuentes de Ebro to Zaragoza. For the rest of the route they seem to agree. Quinto to Zaragoza is definitely more than 40 kms. Fuentes de Ebro to Zaragoza may not by as much as 33. I think roughly 30 (maybe a bit less) would be a good approximation (but let me know once you walk it) although where you end within Zaragoza makes a difference too. Anyway, if you stay overnight in Fuentes de Ebro, you shouldn't have problems to walk the stage from Fuentes de Ebro to Zaragoza in a day.

The worst day is the Escatrón to Quinto one that it's roughly 37 kms. The way to avoid that long day without making a (very) short one is not staying overnight in Caspe but in Chiprana (i.e.: to make Fabara-Chiprana -roughly 29- in one stage) but it may be too late for you to make that...

Best wishes! And keep us posted with the result!;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh @Castilian thanks so much. We will follow your plan. Four days to Zaragoza from here (Caspe). We reserved rooms in Escatron and Quinto. Then Fuentes and then Zaragoza, hopefully.

BTW, the monastery outside Escatron is closed (since before Christmas), both the monastery and the hospedaria. They will open under "new management" soon, at least that's what the person who answered the phone said.

Oh @Castilian thanks so much. We will follow your plan. Four days to Zaragoza from here (Caspe). We reserved rooms in Escatron and Quinto. Then Fuentes and then Zaragoza, hopefully.

BTW, the monastery outside Escatron is closed (since before Christmas), both the monastery and the hospedaria. They will open under "new management" soon, at least that's what the person who answered the phone said.
Sorry to hear Rueda monastery is closed, it was a perfect distance between Caspe and Quinto, and a lovely place to stay, with the giant waterwheel that gives the monastery its name continuously turning. Rueda to Quinto is a great day, following the Ebro's meandros. This is the monastery from just over the Ebro a bit after Escatrón, but I don't imagine you'll be going past it.

Attachments

• IMG_20151015_172951.jpg
    IMG_20151015_172951.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.