Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Need help from Penasillas to Alto de Faro to Rodeiro

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have been re-writing the Invierno guide to incorporate changes suggested by this past summer's pilgrims. I am having a hard time figuring out the part around Alto de Faro. Since I walked it several years ago, my memory is kind of fuzzy on the specifics. Here is what I have pieced together, mainly from KinkyOne and my own notes, but I'm not sure I've fit all the pieces back into the correct spot. Thanks in advance if you can help out.

8.3km Penasillas
There is another peto de ánimas here. Penasillas offers a fountain of cold spring water. The wise pilgrim will fill up here for the long climb up a timbering road toward the Alto de Faro shrine. There is also a bar here, but pilgrims have found it closed at mid-morning. Others have reported going through early in the morning with quite a few loud barking loose dogs. Waymarking is quite good, both up and down.

The next five kms steadily ascend to the Alto de Faro. Eventually you reach an asphalt road with a monolith and a spring on the right. Clear cutting has confused the trail in parts, but it is not too difficult to follow.

5km Alto de Faro
Atop this tall mountain is a beloved regional shrine, considered the geographical center of Galicia province. A shady picnic area and spring offer refreshment after the climb; from there stout hearts may want to make the final ascent to the top, where the shrine is located, along a manicured Way of the Cross that is traditionally done in bare feet. Some pilgrims recommend staying on the pavement for the ascent. You will return to this point to continue on the Camino. If you do not want to go up to the church from here, go right from the water basin and through the forest for about 20 m and you will see the Camino again.

From the picnic area, the marked Camino leaves the tarmac on the right beyond the picnic area, and parallels windmills on a limestone access road with lovely views back to Chantada. Six km further on, the path meets pavement again, turns left, and crosses a bridge over the big Lalín-Chantada highway. Here you pick up yellow arrows again, but look carefully at the stone marker – someone has chipped loose the mortar and reversed the arrow, pointing you left, along the highway that leads directly into Rodeiro. That is the CC-53.

The CC-553, carries traffic to the shrine from Rodeiro. Tired pilgrims may want to follow the road down into town, 8 kms on. Note, though that this option gets a strong negative reaction from some pilgrims who took it. They say the roads get confusing, there are no arrows, and it is generally a bad idea.

If you have stayed on the Camino, you will walk by many windmills. A granite waymarker shows the Camino de Invierno off to your left. This pretty path passes El Pazo de Camba and the friendly hamlet of Leboro, where two useful bars fuel the final push into Rodeiro, with its restaurants and accommodation.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's like this:
"From the picnic area, the marked Camino leaves the tarmac on the right beyond the picnic area. If you turn left onto tarmac that's the CC-553 (can't see any sign for this road on Google maps!!!), which carries traffic to the shrine from Rodeiro. Tired pilgrims may want to follow the road down into town, 8 kms on. Note, though that this option gets a strong negative reaction from some pilgrims who took it. They say the roads get confusing, there are no arrows, and it is generally a bad idea. But if you turn right that's official Camino that parallels windmills on a limestone access road with lovely views back to Chantada. Six km further on, the path meets pavement again, turns left, and crosses a bridge over the big Lalín-Chantada highway. Here you pick up yellow arrows again, but look carefully at the stone marker – someone has chipped loose the mortar and reversed the arrow, pointing you left, along the highway that leads directly into Rodeiro. That is the PO-533.
If you have stayed on the Camino, you will walk by many windmills (only one or two as I remember!). After 450 meters two granite waymarkers shows the Camino de Invierno off to your left (see the photo in my post). This pretty path passes El Pazo de Camba and the friendly hamlet of Leboro, where two useful bars fuel the final push into Rodeiro, with its restaurants and accommodation."

Thanks, Kinky, I have had the same problem finding the roads on google maps, but I didn't get lost there, so it's probably not that much of a problem. I think it would be very helpful download a few of your pictures into the guide -- would that be ok with you? Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have been re-writing the Invierno guide to incorporate changes suggested by this past summer's pilgrims. I am having a hard time figuring out the part around Alto de Faro. Since I walked it several years ago, my memory is kind of fuzzy on the specifics. Here is what I have pieced together, mainly from KinkyOne and my own notes, but I'm not sure I've fit all the pieces back into the correct spot. Thanks in advance if you can help out.

8.3km Penasillas
There is another peto de ánimas here. Penasillas offers a fountain of cold spring water. The wise pilgrim will fill up here for the long climb up a timbering road toward the Alto de Faro shrine. There is also a bar here, but pilgrims have found it closed at mid-morning. Others have reported going through early in the morning with quite a few loud barking loose dogs. Waymarking is quite good, both up and down.

The next five kms steadily ascend to the Alto de Faro. Eventually you reach an asphalt road with a monolith and a spring on the right. Clear cutting has confused the trail in parts, but it is not too difficult to follow.

5km Alto de Faro
Atop this tall mountain is a beloved regional shrine, considered the geographical center of Galicia province. A shady picnic area and spring offer refreshment after the climb; from there stout hearts may want to make the final ascent to the top, where the shrine is located, along a manicured Way of the Cross that is traditionally done in bare feet. Some pilgrims recommend staying on the pavement for the ascent. You will return to this point to continue on the Camino. If you do not want to go up to the church from here, go right from the water basin and through the forest for about 20 m and you will see the Camino again.

From the picnic area, the marked Camino leaves the tarmac on the right beyond the picnic area, and parallels windmills on a limestone access road with lovely views back to Chantada. Six km further on, the path meets pavement again, turns left, and crosses a bridge over the big Lalín-Chantada highway. Here you pick up yellow arrows again, but look carefully at the stone marker – someone has chipped loose the mortar and reversed the arrow, pointing you left, along the highway that leads directly into Rodeiro. That is the CC-53.

The CC-553, carries traffic to the shrine from Rodeiro. Tired pilgrims may want to follow the road down into town, 8 kms on. Note, though that this option gets a strong negative reaction from some pilgrims who took it. They say the roads get confusing, there are no arrows, and it is generally a bad idea.

If you have stayed on the Camino, you will walk by many windmills. A granite waymarker shows the Camino de Invierno off to your left. This pretty path passes El Pazo de Camba and the friendly hamlet of Leboro, where two useful bars fuel the final push into Rodeiro, with its restaurants and accommodation.

Hello Laurie,
Sorry about the delay in replying to this post re. C. de Invierno after Penasillas. In 2011 we went wrong on our way up to Alto de Faro. After we had passed the monument to Uxio Novoneyra we found a sign which took us off the asphalt road to the left. We followed a track which soon became an area of felled trees so we returned to the road. After a few yards we saw an arrow in the road so continued up. There was a track further up the road coming in from the left which might well have been a shorter route before the trees had been cleared!! After the Alto we took the road down but wished we had continued on the signed camino past the windmills because the were no signs on the road and we took the wrong road adding much milage! All this we did report to Rebekah. We would say, "keep on the tarmac road to the Alto and continue on the signed camino past the windmills."
Fortunately my husband (Laurie) keeps a proper diary (unlike my scrappy notes) so we could look this up.

We were often grateful for your notes when we walked this camino.
Marion (Maricristina)

Hi, Marion,
Glad the notes helped, and I think this newly revised guide will be a much bigger help! I've gotten great feedback from some Invierno pilgrims, so thanks. I love your succinct recommendation, and I have copied it verbatim in the guide: "keep on the tarmac road to the Alto and continue on the signed camino past the windmills"

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi there..unfortunately I had to "finish " in Chantada, due to the bruised knee ligaments complaining too much...I hope to return & walk the last part with my fella next year!!..managed, after much rest & a little revelry in SdC during fiesta to at least complete my Camino Muxia...sooooo happy to have my Compostela for this walk at least ...it was beautiful & oh so special to walk out of the city whilst the Cathedral bells peeled out on Santiago's feast day...lifted me up & along, even though all the locals were " you are heading the wrong way pilgrim!!"..

Thanks, Kinky, I have had the same problem finding the roads on google maps, but I didn't get lost there, so it's probably not that much of a problem. I think it would be very helpful download a few of your pictures into the guide -- would that be ok with you? Laurie
I've missed that post, Laurie, sorry.
No problem with adding my photos. Will talk about this when time comes and I'll send them in their original size, because those posted here are downsized on approximately 1/3 of their original size.

Most read last week in this forum

We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back